Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Xbox General discussion **No Order Chat Here**

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,015 ✭✭✭SMC92Ian

theteal wrote: »
    Are they really readily available now?
    MS site still has nothing.

This suggests not

I was in Smyths tallagh last Friday and they'd about 20 on the shelves.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,516 ✭✭✭sniper_samurai

SMC92Ian wrote: »
    I was in Smyths tallagh last Friday and they'd about 20 on the shelves.

Heres a secret for you, they're empty display boxes.

Heres a secret for you, they're empty display boxes.

Lying sh*t on the till. There is zero PS5 display boxes. Odd.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,516 ✭✭✭sniper_samurai

SMC92Ian wrote: »
    Lying sh*t on the till. There is zero PS5 display boxes. Odd.

Odd, there are PS5 display boxes in the store on Jervis Street.

I can understand them removing them though as it is annoying getting asked if they have any PS5s 15 times an hour.

• Registered Users Posts: 595 ✭✭✭DepecheHead101

I'd say anyone that wants one now wouldn't be waiting too long, though, as long as they're keeping their eye on the ball. Most of the big retailers have 1-2 popping up sporadically every other day most times I check. Series X isn't as scarce as it was, and nowhere near PS5 level scarcity.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,023 ✭✭✭Longing

I think the summer months are your only good chance of picking up the Xbox series X and PS5 if you are thinking of buying for your kids this Christmas come late September into October it will be very slim pickings.

Personally I couldn't get either last Christmas for our family always beating to it at checkout saying no stock left on the days of delivery. Pure nightmare.

I picked up the Xbox SX last week for this Christmas. :pac::p

• Registered Users Posts: 14,309 ✭✭✭✭wotzgoingon

Longing wrote: »
    I think the summer months are your only good chance of picking up the Xbox series X and PS5 if you are thinking of buying for your kids this Christmas come late September into October it will be very slim pickings.

Personally I couldn't get either last Christmas for our family always beating to it at checkout saying no stock left on the days of delivery. Pure nightmare.

I picked up the Xbox SX last week for this Christmas. :pac::p

Wow, I picked one up around release date. Didn't even try hard to get it. Someone said stock in Argos so I reserved one and just picked it up.

• Registered Users Posts: 641 ✭✭✭johnf26

I'd say anyone that wants one now wouldn't be waiting too long, though, as long as they're keeping their eye on the ball. Most of the big retailers have 1-2 popping up sporadically every other day most times I check. Series X isn't as scarce as it was, and nowhere near PS5 level scarcity.

Keep on eye on gamestop there was some last week on there website for 2days managed to get one

• Registered Users Posts: 7,593 ✭✭✭theteal

Got my X today. Quick one. Warzone, does it make a difference if played from internal storage or external SSD?

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,235 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatInABox

https://twitter.com/arstechnica/status/1402976605748842499

Ars have a nice write up on the stuff MS talked about today, including, but not limited to, Game Pass, cloud on TVs, Streaming sticks, and console.

Somewhat hilarious to see Nadella engage in some console warring as well.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,309 ✭✭✭✭wotzgoingon

Got my X today. Quick one. Warzone, does it make a difference if played from internal storage or external SSD?

I personally play everything from the internal and just use the USB drive as storage and transfer over to internal what I am currently or most frequently playing.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,197 ✭✭✭Spudman_20000

Nope, it's still hot garbage either way. :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 13,006 ✭✭✭✭Interested Observer

I played Gears 5 last year when it came out on PC, I'd just built a new PC and for a couple of weeks thought it was broken because it just wasn't performing well, later found out the BIOS was miles out of date and was throttling the CPU down to less than 50% of it's capability. I played Gears in that period, it looked average, it performed terribly, was just not great (my fault, not the game).

So got a Series X and an LG CX in the last few weeks and decided to replay it properly... First of all it kept all my progress which was nice but it's absolutely incredible how the game looks and plays. Think you get a solid 60fps at 4k which is mind blowing. Loving the Series X so far, very impressed.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,727 ✭✭✭✭cnocbui

I'm using an xbox series X with a 65" LG CX OLED and a high res sound system (not sound bar). Basically gaming nirvana as far as my standards go.

• Registered Users Posts: 666 ✭✭✭Speckydodge

cnocbui wrote: »
    I'm using an xbox series X with a 65" LG CX OLED and a high res sound system (not sound bar). Basically gaming nirvana as far as my standards go.

What sound system you got?

What sound system you got?

A 35A 13.8v power supply, feeding a Nakamichi 150w mono amp and a Nakamichi 75w pch stero amp. The mono amp powers two 200mm B&W drivers in a custom enclosure as a subwoofer, while the stero amp powers a pair of spherical speakers I made from carbon fibre, containing B&W 100mm midrange drivers and 25mm MB Quart Ti dome tweeters. There's also a Nakamichi active crossover. Basically it's mostly an 80's car audio system repurposed.

Sph-Spk.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 2,687 ✭✭✭Nigzcurran

cnocbui wrote: »
    A 35A 13.8v power supply, feeding a Nakamichi 150w mono amp and a Nakamichi 75w pch stero amp. The mono amp powers two 200mm B&W drivers in a custom enclosure as a subwoofer, while the stero amp powers a pair of spherical speakers I made from carbon fibre, containing B&W 100mm midrange drivers and 25mm MB Quart Ti dome tweeters. There's also a Nakamichi active crossover. Basically it's mostly an 80's car audio system repurposed.

Sph-Spk.jpg

I’d say the sound of that is fecking deadly, I don’t know how any enjoys the standard sound of a tv speaker, I have an LG OLED at home it’s terrible sound quality

• Registered Users Posts: 4,955 ✭✭✭Liamalone

Nigzcurran wrote: »
    I’d say the sound of that is fecking deadly, I don’t know how any enjoys the standard sound of a tv speaker, I have an LG OLED at home it’s terrible sound quality

Some people are just not ancy about the sound lol. Tbh when I first turned on my LG BX I was well impressed with the built in sound, it was a lot better than I expected, I expected it to be crap. Like all things, some folk are quite content with what they get and others feel the need to go over the top. Any half decent surround sound system should do in reality.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,687 ✭✭✭Nigzcurran

Liamalone wrote: »
    Some people are just not ancy about the sound lol. Tbh when I first turned on my LG BX I was well impressed with the built in sound, it was a lot better than I expected, I expected it to be crap. Like all things, some folk are quite content with what they get and others feel the need to go over the top. Any half decent surround sound system should do in reality.

I just have an LG soundbar and sub and the bass is unreal, the whole house vibrates!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,593 ✭✭✭theteal

My surround sound system :pac:

We do have a JBL 9.1, which has exceeded all expectations, in the living room with the One X. The Series X is in the back room for me alone so they can all feck off and leave me be.

• Advertisement

I can't remember the last time I use speakers from a TV, since around 2005 I've had something hooked up to a TV. You have to.

Thanks; the sound quality exceeded my expectations considerably. Those speakers are more complicated than they look. There is a second smaller CF sphere inside, connected to the outer sphere by a ring at the front opening. there are two more small rings in between the spheres (vias) for the main cable and for the tweeter mount and wires. The gap between the two shells is filled with fine sand. The result is the spheres are stiff and acoustically very dead.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,447 ✭✭✭Calhoun

Hi-Fi setup was something i was never too sure of because the room is so small. I ended up going with a sonos beam as a starter and worth the investment.

Would love to understand the technology enough behind it to set it up proper eventually.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,429 ✭✭✭marcbrophy

Not sure if right thread, but the design lab is back, now with the newer Series X|S controllers :)

Check out my masterpiece :p

https://xboxdesignlab.xbox.com

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,235 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatInABox

There's a few designs floating around out there, I'm quite partial to the classic 360 look.

https://twitter.com/TooHappyGamers/status/1405888008545398785

• Registered Users Posts: 6,429 ✭✭✭marcbrophy

That's really cool actually!
    I'm probably going to go through a few different design choices, before I land on one I'll buy in about a months time :)

• Registered Users Posts: 666 ✭✭✭Speckydodge

Their e3 was great this year.
    Hour and a half of just games.
    Halo looks great but my days Forza horizon 5 .
    So many day one on gamepass too.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,597 ✭✭✭Conar

Calhoun wrote: »
    Hi-Fi setup was something i was never too sure of because the room is so small. I ended up going with a sonos beam as a starter and worth the investment.

Would love to understand the technology enough behind it to set it up proper eventually.

I've a small games room and use the beam with 2 X IKEA symfonisk wireless speakers for rear giving a decent entry level surround sound.
    Well worth investing the extra €200.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,447 ✭✭✭Calhoun

Conar wrote: »
    I've a small games room and use the beam with 2 X IKEA symfonisk wireless speakers for rear giving a decent entry level surround sound.
    Well worth investing the extra €200.

I must check that out i really do love the beam as its so much better for spoken dialogue.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,597 ✭✭✭Conar

Calhoun wrote: »
    I must check that out i really do love the beam as its so much better for spoken dialogue.

It's very good. You can pay a little more and use the Sonos brand surrounds like the Play etc but I find that the IKEA ones (made by Sonos and work with Sonos app etc) are perfect for the job.

Advertisement