Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Xbox General discussion **No Order Chat Here**

Options

Comments

dar83 wrote: »
    I keep going back and forth on buying one to put in the man cave to supplement the Series X, only for the fact I'm getting so used to the load times now that using the One X again, or God forbid the original One, is mildly irritating.

Only thing stopping me is that I really don't need one...

Yeah, I'm looking forward to how it goes. Just picked it up there, will be under the tree for Xmas.

Will have a One X, Series S and Series X in the house, so all angles covered.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,464 ✭✭✭Oafley Jones

dar83 wrote: »
    I keep going back and forth on buying one to put in the man cave to supplement the Series X, only for the fact I'm getting so used to the load times now that using the One X again, or God forbid the original One, is mildly irritating.

Only thing stopping me is that I really don't need one...

Bought an S yesterday for the same reason. Kids hog the good tv, so I can sneak some time on the old 1080 set in peace. It may be my imagination, but it seems to load quicker than the X (possibly smaller texture sizes).

• Registered Users Posts: 321 ✭✭Mucashinto

I went with the S in the end...

Yeah, fellow happy S owner here. The X doesn't really draw me, although I've no doubts if I played one I'd want one, and honestly I still feel a bit burned by the One X. Was constantly stopping playing games on that machine (that should have been ideal for it like Ori, Bloodstained) to play on my PC (that only had a 1070 it). Soured me on any Microsoft talk of 'the most powerful console in the world' tbh.

The Series S seems to be able to easily perform as good/better than the One X - enhanced Ori is perfect, better than my PC was. If they can somehow go back and enhance the existing catalogue to make the most of it...ah, that would perfect. Surely most existing One S games could run at 1080p/60 on the Series S if the code was there. Would be brilliant if Microsoft put a team to work on it :)
    I'm guessing they're running out of influence with 3rd party devs for these kind of things though now. "Could you enhance your One S version for the One X please? Oh and the Series S? Oh and the Series X?" :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 466 ✭✭Probes

Bought an S yesterday for the same reason. Kids hog the good tv, so I can sneak some time on the old 1080 set in peace. It may be my imagination, but it seems to load quicker than the X (possibly smaller texture sizes).

I have done the same, I’ve got a series s in the man cave and a series x and ps5 in the living room. I feel like a total con artist considering how difficult people have found it to get next gen consoles. Conversely I found them all quite easy to get...

I really feel the lower res and frame rate though.

• Registered Users Posts: 945 ✭✭✭tipperaryboy

Hi, having issues setting up with google assistant - in the linking process two Xbox’s are discovered? Have tried completing with both end result assistant not recognising and setup prompt. This is with having fully reset xb1 and unlinked

• Advertisement

Funny I tried it there as I hadn't set up the series X for it and got as far as selecting Xbox from the list of works with google services. I hit that and it briefly flashes on the assign a room screen before jumping back to the list of services again before I can select one.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,561 ✭✭✭quad_red

I have to say, the big thing I’ve noticed about the series x is how much easier it is to pop between games.

On the one X: Starting up a game on gamepass and even if it’s ‘free’ it’s still several mins to start it up. Several more to get into an actual game. You die learning how to work it and it’s a few mins between each start.

Series X does away with all that.

Popped on Tetris effect and it quick resumed from the game on Friday night. Popped on Doom and it was on the start screen in 2 seconds.

Sweet

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,263 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatInABox

quad_red wrote: »
    I have to say, the big thing I’ve noticed about the series x is how much easier it is to pop between games.

I’m the one X: Starting up a game on gamepass and even if it’s ‘free’ it’s still several mins to start it up. Several more to get into an actual game. You die learning how to work it and it’s a few mins between each start.

Series X does away with all that.

Popped on Tetris effect and it quick resumed from the game on Friday night. Popped on Doom and it was on the start screen in 2 seconds.

Sweet

Yeah, it feels revolutionary. I've never been into doing the Game Pass Rewards quests because it always felt like it took too much time, but now it's incredibly easy to knock them out.

• Registered Users Posts: 36 Fallonben

Could I ask some advice from the gamers on here? I've managed to get my hands on a Series X for my teenage son, and was wondering what's the best thing to get him so that he can make the best use out of it straight away e.g. Xbox live gold membership, Game Pass or should I just stick to loading some online credit into his account? He has a lot of downloaded games on the Xbox One already so I assume they'll just transfer over? I haven't a clue about these things so any advice would be greatly appreciated!

Fallonben wrote: »
    Could I ask some advice from the gamers on here? I've managed to get my hands on a Series X for my teenage son, and was wondering what's the best thing to get him so that he can make the best use out of it straight away e.g. Xbox live gold membership, Game Pass or should I just stick to loading some online credit into his account? He has a lot of downloaded games on the Xbox One already so I assume they'll just transfer over? I haven't a clue about these things so any advice would be greatly appreciated!

Go to CD keys and buy two 12 month Xbox live gold membership codes.

Then go onto the Gamepass thread on this forum and follow the instructions to turn that two years plus of Xbox live into ultimate (which includes gamepass) for free.

And as an aside, don’t leave it til Christmas Day to set the console up. Connect it now cos the console itself needs a massive OS update. And with a bajillion consoles being turned on for the first time on Christmas Day, if he wants games to play now is the time to download them.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 36 Fallonben

quad_red wrote: »
    Go to CD keys and buy two 12 month Xbox live gold membership codes.

Then go onto the Gamepass thread on this forum and follow the instructions to turn that two years plus of Xbox live into ultimate (which includes gamepass) for free.

And as an aside, don’t leave it til Christmas Day to set the console up. Connect it now cos the console itself needs a massive OS update. And with a bajillion consoles being turned on for the first time on Christmas Day, if he wants games to play now is the time to download them.

That's great advice, I'll take a look for the Gamepass thread now. Thanks a million for taking the time to reply, it's much appreciated. Merry Christmas!

OK guys, stupid question time.

I need to buy FIFA 21 for one of my kids for Xmas. In the past, I've either bought him the disc, or I've bought it for myself on the Xbox store and then he can access through his Xbox that is set as my home Xbox.

This year, I need to buy digitally, and it needs to be bought directly for his Xbox account. I can't buy as a gift now, as he'll get an email and notification. I don't really want to give him money to buy it on Xmas day, so how can I digitally buy it for him now through the Xbox store? I'm after the Champion's Edition which is currently on sale for €36 on the Xbox store, but it would be near on €50 on CD Keys.

• Registered Users Posts: 66 ✭✭AskMeBollix

Basil3 wrote: »
    OK guys, stupid question time.

I need to buy FIFA 21 for one of my kids for Xmas. In the past, I've either bought him the disc, or I've bought it for myself on the Xbox store and then he can access through his Xbox that is set as my home Xbox.

This year, I need to buy digitally, and it needs to be bought directly for his Xbox account. I can't buy as a gift now, as he'll get an email and notification. I don't really want to give him money to buy it on Xmas day, so how can I digitally buy it for him now through the Xbox store? I'm after the Champion's Edition which is currently on sale for €36 on the Xbox store, but it would be near on €50 on CD Keys.

you can buy as a gift and put one of your emails in, you will get the code which can be given to your kid, you could write the code on a christmas card or something if you don't want to give cash,

you can buy as a gift and put one of your emails in, you will get the code which can be given to your kid, you could write the code on a christmas card or something if you don't want to give cash,

Oh nice, I wasn't sure if that would work. Will do that, thanks!

Edit: all sorted, exactly what I wanted. Thanks again.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,441 ✭✭✭marcbrophy

CatInABox wrote: »
    Hook it up to your PC/laptop. If it's not detected there, then it's a hardware problem.

I finally got around to hooking it up to the PC last night (laziness :D)!
    It didn't show immediately upon connection, but once I went into Disk Management it showed up saying it needed to be initialised.
    Went through that process of setting it up as a Win 10 drive, then put it back into the Xbox and set it up as an Xbox drive again.
    It seems to be working away just plugged in now.
    Just some weird glitch in the matrix, hopefully :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,961 ✭✭✭markcahill1985

Guys finally managed to grab a Series X just there now 9Harvey Norman have them today). Looking for recommendations to get going, was on PS4 last gen so any suggestions, never played Red Ddead 2 so going to start with that but will want a few games for over the xmas. thanks all.

Guys finally managed to grab a Series X just there now 9Harvey Norman have them today). Looking for recommendations to get going, was on PS4 last gen so any suggestions, never played Red Ddead 2 so going to start with that but will want a few games for over the xmas. thanks all.

Look at the gamepass thread on this forum. Stack up Xbox live subs and then turn it into gamepass for free.

Gamepass has loads of stuff to keep you occupied.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,263 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatInABox

Psychonauts 2 is feature complete, looks to be on track for release.

https://twitter.com/DoubleFine/status/1341887751797559299

• Registered Users Posts: 14,309 ✭✭✭✭wotzgoingon

For those who never played the original, you should as it's a great game. It's on Xbox backwards compatibility.

For those who never played the original, you should as it's a great game. It's on Xbox backwards compatibility.

I assume the first one will hit Game Pass before the new one comes out.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,546 ✭✭✭sniper_samurai

CatInABox wrote: »
    I assume the first one will hit Game Pass before the new one comes out.
    I assume so, the rest of Double Fines catalogue is slowly making their way onto the service.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,929 ✭✭✭✭ShadowHearth

Happy Xmas lads, hopefully everyone who wanted got their new consoles and enough vouchers to buy all the games they want this morning.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,309 ✭✭✭✭wotzgoingon

The oul wan. All he does is play that Xbox, I know what I'll get him.

537174.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 194 ✭✭DM_2092

Happy Christmas guys.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,553 ✭✭✭DeSelby83

Happy Christmas everyone. Hope everyone had a good day.
    Just wondering can you install a game straight to an external harddrive or does it have to go to the internal first and then moved?

DeSelby83 wrote: »
    Happy Christmas everyone. Hope everyone had a good day.
    Just wondering can you install a game straight to an external harddrive or does it have to go to the internal first and then moved?

You can install directly to an external.

This can be set in the storage settings.

• Registered Users Posts: 62 ✭✭Teothican

happy Xmas

Merry Christmas everyone! Hope Santa got you all everything that you wanted!

Have to say, this past two months, with posters helping other boardsies get their new consoles, passing knowledge on, and helping out with questions on the Game Pass Upgrade deal, it's really shown that the Xbox forum has a really great community.

So, thanks for being great!

• Registered Users Posts: 62 ✭✭Teothican

this may have been asked before , how important is HDM 2.1 for gaming on an Xbox Series x ? are the graphics downgraded without 2.1 or are they identical ?
    as i will be buying an xbox x and TV in Jan Sales

• Advertisement

Teothican wrote: »
    this may have been asked before , how important is HDM 2.1 for gaming on an Xbox Series x ? are the graphics downgraded without 2.1 or are they identical ?
    as i will be buying an xbox x and TV in Jan Sales

Only important if you have a TV that supports it.

If your tv supports it it can activate a low latency mode, variable refresh rate to remove screen tear or enable 4K120.

Advertisement