Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Xbox General discussion **No Order Chat Here**

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,475 ✭✭✭DelBoy Trotter

Thanks Conar and Sniper_samurai for the help!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,293 ✭✭✭dunworth1

has anyone got a new monitor for the series x?

i have an dell s2716dg monitor which is 1440p but doesnt support the 120hz refresh rate on the XSX

just wondering whats others have got

• Registered Users Posts: 2,136 ✭✭✭Lord Spence

Had a weird bug last night with the series x, neither controller was paired to the console all of a sudden and the pair button stopped working, I had to evetually remove the power cable from the system to do a hard reset and then it suddently started working again, I'm just hoping its not going to be an ongoing issue

• Registered Users Posts: 4,358 ✭✭✭Homelander

Had a weird bug last night with the series x, neither controller was paired to the console all of a sudden and the pair button stopped working, I had to evetually remove the power cable from the system to do a hard reset and then it suddently started working again, I'm just hoping its not going to be an ongoing issue

Interesting, this exact same thing happened me the other day.

I've also had an issue where when I resume the screen is all tinted green several times, though games work without issue generally.

I'm more of a PC gamer and just bought the Series X on a whim out of interest, but I'm enjoying it so far even if 90% so far has been for media.

It's a million times better/faster than my Samsung TV for using Netflix, Prime and YouTube as well as playing video.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,309 ✭✭✭✭wotzgoingon

dunworth1 wrote: »

i have an dell s2716dg monitor which is 1440p but doesnt support the 120hz refresh rate on the XSX

I use a Tv on mine but a few years back I had a 144Hz 1440p monitor but couldn't use it with my One X as it didn't work over HDMI which is pretty common with monitors most are 144Hz over Display port.

There are some though that work over HDMI but they a few.

• Advertisement

I went for a Gigabyte G27QC, I think it cost £280

https://www.rtings.com/monitor/reviews/gigabyte/g27qc

I actually found it quite tough to find a monitor that ticked my boxes:
    - 1440p
    - 120Hz+
    - Freesync
    - 27"
    - At least 2 x HDMI ports
    - USB ports

I wanted the two HDMI ports as I also connect to my laptop for work, and I wanted the USB ports to connect my Elite Controller charger and Wireless Phone charger to the monitor. My current setup means I always have a shortage of USB ports.

Overall, I'm really happy with it. Obviously it's not a hugely expensive monitor, so I couldn't expect too much. I did have to play around with the settings a bit to get it how I liked it, though.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,371 ✭✭✭TheAnalyst_

The quietness of this console is something else. Can’t wait to see it’s real potential in future.
    My one x only ever got noisy with red dead 2.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 94 ✭✭nextgengamer

I got a bargain 32 inch 1440p IPS freesync AOC monitor on Amazon UK for 152 stg a while back. https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B07CG41Y8Z
    It's more expensive now. But it's absolutely fine for gaming. Great crisp IPS display.

Would like a 4K equivalent, maybe smaller + 2 hdmi ports for work laptop and Xbox.

• Registered Users Posts: 27,821 ✭✭✭✭TitianGerm

I got a bargain 32 inch 1440p IPS freesync AOC monitor on Amazon UK for 152 stg a while back. https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B07CG41Y8Z
    It's more expensive now. But it's absolutely fine for gaming. Would like a 4K equivalent, maybe smaller + 2 hdmi ports for work laptop and Xbox.

That monitor won't do 120hz.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 94 ✭✭nextgengamer

TitianGerm wrote: »
    That monitor won't do 120hz.

True. But 60hz stable is fine for me.

• Advertisement

True. But 60hz stable is fine for me.

The poster you originally replied to is swapping their current monitor because it can't do 120hz. That's why I mentioned it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,749 ✭✭✭djan

Keep in mind that even the one X will struggle to hit 120fps at anything but 1080p performance mode in AAA titles. I'd go as large a size as possible with emphasis on low latency rather than refresh rate.

djan wrote: »
    Keep in mind that even the one X will struggle to hit 120fps at anything but 1080p performance mode in AAA titles. I'd go as large a size as possible with emphasis on low latency rather than refresh rate.

Plenty of games will eventually move to 120FPS, especially for FPS.

Gears and Ori got updated to it recently. Think COD is 120FPS as well?

• Registered Users Posts: 14,309 ✭✭✭✭wotzgoingon

The Halo masterchief collection is 120FPS @4k

Plenty of games will eventually move to 120FPS, especially for FPS.

Gears and Ori got updated to it recently. Think COD is 120FPS as well?

I would wager that very few true next gens will as even CoD Warzone which is not all that graphically impressive and is very much last gen, struggles to hit a constant 120.

Does depend what you will play but given that up until recently most console gamers have settles for 25-30fps, a solid 60fps with a quality IPS low latency screen should do the trick nicely.

• Registered Users Posts: 194 ✭✭DM_2092

I would wager that very few true next gens will as even CoD Warzone which is not all that graphically impressive and is very much last gen, struggles to hit a constant 120.

Does depend what you will play but given that up until recently most console gamers have settles for 25-30fps, a solid 60fps with a quality IPS low latency screen should do the trick nicely.

COD Cold War constantly freezes & you've to restart the system. They say it's optimized for Series X, it's not.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,205 ✭✭✭✭DARK-KNIGHT

https://www.laptopsdirect.ie/benq-el2870u-27-4k-hdmi-monitor-9h.lgtlb.qse/version.asp?refsource=ldieadwords&mkwid=s0JylDq9G_dc&pcrid=373896414609&product=9H.LGTLB.QSE&pgrid=79554551274&ptaid=pla-472306754388&channel=search&gclid=CjwKCAiA_9r_BRBZEiwAHZ_v19oec9CbjAdBwihxLv1l5srWPmCF7SZ8ODjpgi_VnoLdVg8qAZ0JHBoCYP8QAvD_BwE

My current monitor above... It does 4k at 60 fps but im intrigued to see what 1440 120fps would run like on the series x

I think i would prefer a smoother running monitor although mine is silky at 60fps but i play solely shooters

• Registered Users Posts: 2,691 ✭✭✭Nigzcurran

Lads I had a look at the settings on my sons series s hooked up to the LG 4K oled and it says I can either have 60fps at 4K or 120fps at 1080p, which is best?

Nigzcurran wrote: »
    Lads I had a look at the settings on my sons series s hooked up to the LG 4K oled and it says I can either have 60fps at 4K or 120fps at 1080p, which is best?

Definitely 4k 60fps!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,154 ✭✭✭Serbian

I've had this issue but it was caused by my wireless headphones (SteelSeries Arctis 9X). If I shut down the console while the headphones were still on, the console would turn back on immediately and nothing was paired with it anymore and had to do a full power cycle to fix it. They updated the firmware and the issue has stopped. Just thought I'd mention it as headphones could be a possible source of the issue.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 858 ✭✭✭Vudgie

Do all games do the quick resume, I notice that GTA V does it for me but FIFA doesn't.

I get it that it will need new games to see the full potential of the machine but I somewhat underwhelmed so far....looking forward to future games.

What's the first true next gen game that we can expect?

Definitely 4k 60fps!

Sorry one other question he says the x button on his new shock blue controller is sticking, is there an easy fix for this or does it need to be replaced, it was bought online so will probably be a disaster to return

Nigzcurran wrote: »
    Sorry one other question he says the x button on his new shock blue controller is sticking, is there an easy fix for this or does it need to be replaced, it was bought online so will probably be a disaster to return

Happened to an old ones of mine from spilling ketchup on it.

Get some cleaning alcohol or high content watery liquid hand sanitizer and a tooth brush to try move the dirt around sorted it. Once you go opening it up warranty is voided.

I'd try the toothbrush method as it worked the best for me.

Happened to an old ones of mine from spilling ketchup on it.

Get some cleaning alcohol or high content watery liquid hand sanitizer and a tooth brush to try move the dirt around sorted it. Once you go opening it up warranty is voided.

I'd try the toothbrush method as it worked the best for me.
    Cheers yeah maybe he spilled something on it himself so I’ll try that today

• Registered Users Posts: 22,929 ✭✭✭✭ShadowHearth

I really hope with new consoles 30fps will become a thing of the past. Thats the only thing that always annoyed me about consoles.
    I would actually had bought good few games over Xmas, if developers would had updated their games to 60fps on Series X.

I really hope with new consoles 30fps will become a thing of the past. Thats the only thing that always annoyed me about consoles.
    I would actually had bought good few games over Xmas, if developers would had updated their games to 60fps on Series X.

I gpt a large TV to go with my series X and 30fps actually hurts my eyes. These consoles are supposed to be for 4k TV's which are bigger and not suitable for 30fps. I suspect that won't stop them though. Better graphics will always trump fps and as the generation moves on and the console spec ages it will be fps that gets the chop.

60 fps should be the absolute minimum we should expect

the new console so far has been underwhelming imo.. the fact it is continuously crashing playing cod is an absolute farce be it on xbox or the game devs. Add to that there are no exclusive games to play im either left playing cod or old games i have already played to death.. just very underwhelming tbh

60 fps should be the absolute minimum we should expect

the new console so far has been underwhelming imo.. the fact it is continuously crashing playing cod is an absolute farce be it on xbox or the game devs. Add to that there are no exclusive games to play im either left playing cod or old games i have already played to death.. just very underwhelming tbh

COD has issues on ps5 as well. Seems to be very buggy.

COD has issues on ps5 as well. Seems to be very buggy.

at his stage i am seriously considering calling up microsoft to look for a refund. the game is absolutely awful, really considering going back to modern warfare

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,466 ✭✭✭Shred

Yeah, I don't play it myself but I've seen numerous people (XBOX/PS5) complaining of COD crashing etc. since the new consoles came out.

Personally, I think the X is a very impressive console so far. I've had almost no issues, outside a few minor ones, with it and it's great to be able to play games on console that aren't jittery thanks to 60FPS capability; the difference in performance for the likes of Control is impressive; not just that it runs really smoothly (it was so stuttery on my One S) but it looks a lot better graphically too, it'll be great to see it when the next gen patch arrives in February.
    Other than than I've been playing Forza Horizon 4 ,which looks absolutely stunning and runs buttery smooth, along with a few other games such as Tetris Effect (I'm enjoying that). After much deliberation I picked up Assassins' Creed Valhalla last week and I'm really enjoying it so far; again it looks and runs so well.
    I may also start using it as my main media machine and look forward to when Dolby Vision comes for 4k Blu Rays as my dedicated player (bought in 2017) doesn't do it and I had been considering upgrading; hopefully it comes to the X soon.

But, I really do wish there had been a few exclusives ready for launch that were purpose built to take advantage of the Series X to really show what it's capable of just like the old days of console launches.

Advertisement