Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Xbox General discussion **No Order Chat Here**

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,200 ✭✭✭hots

A couple of questions for the experienced,

Is it wise to set up the box before the young lad gets it on Xmas morning?

Should I set up an ID for him on the new box, he has an old xbox360 that's logged into my old MS account that I'd prefer to keep to myself. I'm guessing he'd lose any downloaded games that way.

Thanks for the steers on getting one of these, I'd have been in big trouble without the advice on this thread. Happy Christmas Y'all.

Depends on the age I'd say, if he's super young then having it up and ready might be handy, but if he's a bit older he might not be keen on thewintermutesson as his gamer tag or something :P it's a quick set-up anyway, takes very little time.

Should I set up an ID for him on the new box, he has an old xbox360 that's logged into my old MS account that I'd prefer to keep to myself. I'm guessing he'd lose any downloaded games that way.

Thanks for the steers on getting one of these, I'd have been in big trouble without the advice on this thread. Happy Christmas Y'all.

Is it a Santa present? I guess you could easily explain away an account being set up for him on there, but in order for his new account to access all the games linked to your old account, you'll have to log in on your old account and then set it as your home Xbox so he has access to everything whether you're logged in or not. That may not be as easy to explain.

There's one 750MB update when first turning it on (unless that has changed), and I don't know what games he plays, but depending on your internet speed it may not take too long to download them all after he has opened it.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,309 ✭✭✭✭wotzgoingon

Yes deffo wise and have what ever games he has setup ready to play as in download the games and updates. Nothing worse than sitting there Christmas day looking at games updating. And also Xbox needs a update also.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 204 ✭✭Hey_Listen

hots wrote: »
    Depends on the age I'd say, if he's super young then having it up and ready might be handy, but if he's a bit older he might not be keen on thewintermutesson as his gamer tag or something :P it's a quick set-up anyway, takes very little time.

If you have games you need to install then you could install under your account and factory reset but keep the game files. Also ditto to update the Xbox. Then when the kid sets it up it'll be all up to date. But your child may also want to send it back cause some one broke the seal :)

• Registered Users Posts: 352 ✭✭thewintermute

Thanks for the quick replies. He's on his last year of Santa I reckon, so I think he can set himself up, no point in adding to any suspicions. I'll see if I can add some of the old games once he's set up. It's not a deal breaker.

• Advertisement

Thanks for the quick replies. He's on his last year of Santa I reckon, so I think he can set himself up, no point in adding to any suspicions. I'll see if I can add some of the old games once he's set up. It's not a deal breaker.

All you have to say is Santy's elves set it up for you. If he still believes in Santy then he would believe that as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,136 ✭✭✭Lord Spence

All you have to say is Santy's elves set it up for you. If he still believes in Santy then he would believe that as well.

Who is this "santy" you speak of is he related to Santa?

• Registered Users Posts: 28,444 ✭✭✭✭murpho999

Who is this "santy" you speak of is he related to Santa?

Santy has been said in Ireland for years and I know loads of people who say it.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,728 ✭✭✭Nigzcurran

murpho999 wrote: »

Yep it’s Santy in my house since time began

• Registered Users Posts: 1,371 ✭✭✭TheAnalyst_

Managed to get a ps5 and a series x after some perseverance.

The Xbox is a bit underwelming as expected coming from a one x. What’s the best graphical upgrade or new game to make me go wow?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,560 ✭✭✭sniper_samurai

Managed to get a ps5 and a series x after some perseverance.

The Xbox is a bit underwelming as expected coming from a one x. What’s the best graphical upgrade or new game to make me go wow?

One of them would be Destiny 2. It's night and day between the last gen and current gen version.

While 4K native on One X and checkerboard on PS4 Pro the new version has an fov slider to increase the very narrow fov on last gen, it runs at 60fps(upto 120fps in pvp) vs 30fps and has a significant improvement to texture quality.

The base game is f2p and both PS4 and 5 versions can be installed on PS5 for easy comparison.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,391 ✭✭✭Fingleberries

Forza Horizon 4, it's like a different game from Xbox One.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,503 ✭✭✭Sinister Kid

Question, can anyone tell me the what the deal is with the memory card?
    Is it worth buying the official card or will a regular one do the job?

What memory card the SSD expansion is it?

I personally have a USB HDD of a large capacity and just store games on there and transfer to and from Internal SSD when I want to play a game. Way cheaper than buying that expansion SSD.

• Registered Users Posts: 194 ✭✭DM_2092

You mean storage expansion? Wait until next year or the year after when the 1TB price drops. There'll be a 2TB & 4TB available by then. Unless its a real necessity, I'd hang back.

murpho999 wrote: »

Always been Santy in my house as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 321 ✭✭Mucashinto

Sorry, don't want to derail the thread but just with the question above - I was wondering, do many people plan to buy exandable storage (at least in the near term)?

Previously, I always would have. Once I download a game, be it PC/Switch/whatever it's worth it to me to get something organised so that I don't have do it again if I want to play it in x years. Not that I will of course, but I like to fool myself and tbh it's nice to have the full game library available rather than just purchased or whatever.

But at these prices, atm anyway, I'm not even considering it tbh. Not that they're overpriced or anything (console tech is currently at the forefront of a lot of things as far as I can see), it's just the convenience comes at such a cost...IDK, I'd be thinking it's worth the hassle of limited storage to buy like a Switch Lite with the money or something.

But many people taken the plunge? Or have it on their definite 'to do' list or anything?

EDIT: was a bit slow typing post, couple of replies already

Mucashinto wrote: »
    Sorry, don't want to derail the thread but just with the question above - I was wondering, do many people plan to buy exandable storage (at least in the near term)?

Previously, I always would have. Once I download a game, be it PC/Switch/whatever it's worth it to me to get something organised so that I don't have do it again if I want to play it in x years. Not that I will of course, but I like to fool myself and tbh it's nice to have the full game library available rather than just purchased or whatever.

But at these prices, atm anyway, I'm not even considering it tbh. Not that they're overpriced or anything (console tech is currently at the forefront of a lot of things as far as I can see), it's just the convenience comes at such a cost...IDK, I'd be thinking it's worth the hassle of limited storage to buy like a Switch Lite with the money or something.

But many people taken the plunge? Or have it on their definite 'to do' list or anything?

I'll be buying some type of storage soon. I like to go back to get achievements at a later date.

So if the game is taken off Game Pass I won't have to go off and buy the game as its already on some sort of storage.

• Registered Users Posts: 321 ✭✭Mucashinto

DM_2092 wrote: »
    I'll be buying some type of storage soon. I like to go back to get achievements at a later date.

So if the game is taken off Game Pass I won't have to go off and buy the game as its already on some sort of storage.

And you'll go for the high speed storage rather than the transferring in/out with a HDD/SSD?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,604 ✭✭✭Conar

DM_2092 wrote: »

I might be taking you up incorrectly but if you download a game when it's on game pass, and then it leaves gamepass, you're no longer able to play that game again unless you buy it.

It needs to check for a licence online and if you don't have the licence the game simply won't work.

• Advertisement

Conar wrote: »
    I might be taking you up incorrectly but if you download a game when it's on game pass, and then it leaves gamepass, you're no longer able to play that game again unless you buy it.

It needs to check for a licence online and if you don't have the licence the game simply won't work.

Nope. I was unaware of this altogether & under the impression its yours to keep. Cheers!

And the games with gold games you need a Xbox live account which I think changed to a gamepass account afaik.

You also need to be connected to the internet to play them also. Just a heads up.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,468 ✭✭✭Oafley Jones

And the games with gold games you need a Xbox live account which I think changed to a gamepass account afaik.

You also need to be connected to the internet to play them also. Just a heads up.

If it's your primary Xbox you don't have to have a constant connection, it'll cope with outs, but it will still need to check from time to time e.g. my ****e internet was gone last night and I could still play Doom Eternal.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,961 ✭✭✭markcahill1985

Guys can I ask from your experiences of the Series X whether the console is relatively quite? I bought a PS5 on launch but couldn't deal with the humming and coil whine noise and sold it shortly thereafter. Was always going to eventually buy a Series X for Gamepass but am hoping to get one relatively soon now as I dont have a next gen console but a quite (as much as possible) console is my number 1 priority really. Thanks all.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 382 ✭✭oldtimeyfella

Guys can I ask from your experiences of the Series X whether the console is relatively quite? I bought a PS5 on launch but couldn't deal with the humming and coil whine noise and sold it shortly thereafter. Was always going to eventually buy a Series X for Gamepass but am hoping to get one relatively soon now as I dont have a next gen console but a quite (as much as possible) console is my number 1 priority really. Thanks all.

Mine is about 10 feet away from where i sit and it is completely silent so far. The only time it makes any sound is the disk drive clicking when i turn it on.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,976 ✭✭✭RGARDINR

I have them both nó sound issues on the xbox now v silent about 8 feet from me, ps5 v silent as well but once or twice an hr can hear it winding up loud for about 15/20 seconds for whatever reason. Ps5 about a foot closer to me and underneath in the TV stand so might not have as much room as the xbox does as that's hidden behind the TV. So maybe getting hotter and that's why making that noise.

Silent also.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,321 ✭✭✭Tilikum17

Does anyone know if you can still trade in a series X in CEX? I only opened the box about 6 days ago and I already know I won’t use it.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,307 ✭✭✭dan786

Tilikum17 wrote: »
    Does anyone know if you can still trade in a series X in CEX? I only opened the box about 6 days ago and I already know I won’t use it.

Give to someone at retail, I am sure someone will be happy to take it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,321 ✭✭✭Tilikum17

dan786 wrote: »
    Give to someone at retail, I am sure someone will be happy to take it.

I would, no probs. Would prefer to sort someone out that’s looking for one.

Advertisement