Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Xbox General discussion **No Order Chat Here**

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 28,442 ✭✭✭✭murpho999

ZiabR wrote: »
    I don't see them as one and the same. The deal between Microsoft and ZeniMax is done. If you think for a second that Microsoft would be able to announce a deal like that if there was still negotiations and legal taking place, your mistaken. Yes, they don't officially become one until next year but you can be 100% sure that all legal documents etc are signed or neither company would have been able to announce and confirm the deal as complete.

The Sony and Deathloop is different in that the deal between Sony and Bethesda was likely done well before any mention of a Microsoft take over was on the cards. Hence why Phil as said, they may have to honor deals that are already in place with Sony for games in development. Future games is what I am interested in and interested to know what Microsoft's stance will be with regards to platform exclusives.

Really you're the one who's mistaken and you do not know how acquisitions work.

They're complicated transactions. Microsoft of already said it will not complete till next year. See below .
    The transaction is subject to customary closing conditions and completion of regulatory review. Microsoft expects the acquisition to close in the second half of fiscal year 2021 and to have minimal impact to non-GAAP operating income in fiscal years 2021 and 2022. Non-GAAP excludes the expected impact of purchase accounting adjustments, as well as integration and transaction-related expenses.

That's from MS's own press release which is linked here.

Yes, the intention is signed and bar any legal/regulatory reason it will happen and it's normal to announce an intention to merge/acquire beforehand but up until then you can expect to have to wait before hearing exactly what will happen with games.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,575 ✭✭✭ZiabR

murpho999 wrote: »
    Really you're the one who's mistaken and you do not know how acquisitions work.

They're complicated transactions. Microsoft of already said it will not complete till next year. See below .

I understand how acquisitions work hence my comment.

I don't see them as one and the same. The deal between Microsoft and ZeniMax is done. If you think for a second that Microsoft would be able to announce a deal like that if there was still negotiations and legal taking place, your mistaken. Yes, they don't officially become one until next year but you can be 100% sure that all legal documents etc are signed or neither company would have been able to announce and confirm the deal as complete.

There must be a high degree of confidence that the deal will complete or neither company would have said anything until Q2 2021.

One thing is very clear, the only reason this acquisition was announced so early was to tie it into the Series X/S launch in order to try and persuade some Playstation players to switch platforms. Has it worked? I am sure it has at least got people talking about Microsoft and their GamePass model. The longer time goes on, the harder it will be for any gamer to avoid having a subscription to GamePass. Particularly when Microsoft have what seems endless cash reserves and an aggressive approach to buying up development studios.

ZiabR wrote: »
    I understand how acquisitions work hence my comment.

There must be a high degree of confidence that the deal will complete or neither company would have said anything until Q2 2021.

One thing is very clear, the only reason this acquisition was announced so early was to tie it into the Series X/S launch in order to try and persuade some Playstation players to switch platforms. Has it worked? I am sure it has at least got people talking about Microsoft and their GamePass model. The longer time goes on, the harder it will be for any gamer to avoid having a subscription to GamePass. Particularly when Microsoft have what seems endless cash reserves and an aggressive approach to buying up development studios.

Once both parties sign contracts then they can announce it and as you say the timing of the announcement just before pre-order was not a co-incidence.

However, until the acquisition is legally complete then MS are not fully running the business officially so we'll have to wait to see what they do.

No doubt they've increased some market share with this news.

I'd be amazed if Zenimax games are not at least timed exclusives (as you say they're awash with money) but would not be surprised if they do something different.

Either way, Xbox owners with Gamepass are in for a great future.

• Registered Users Posts: 57 ✭✭Woah

Is anyone else having problems connecting a series s to the internet? Was working the first 2 days and can't connect at all since. Have reset modem and console but no luck.

Also does anyone know if this qualifies as a fault that would let me return it?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,604 ✭✭✭dave1982

Bargain lads 725 for the box no console

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/284091097533

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 675 ✭✭✭Gary kk

dave1982 wrote: »
    Bargain lads 725 for the box no console

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/284091097533

Over 1000 sterling for a ps5 feck

• Registered Users Posts: 5,877 ✭✭✭JDxtra

Lol... buy PS5, sell empty box, make more money on the box than the PS5 cost!

Some people out there very desperate and are not checking what they are bidding on.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,929 ✭✭✭✭ShadowHearth

Gary kk wrote: »
    Over 1000 sterling for a ps5 feck

To make it worse. A lot of listing have 3-5 consoles.

In article, some UK scalper group managed to get 2500 consoles and 1000 preorders between themselves. Thats just one group we talking about now.

People who buy them from scalpers are at same scumbag step.

Honest descriptions or not, Ebay should be removing those ads. Does the platform no favours.

• Registered Users Posts: 468 ✭✭dines08

JDxtra wrote: »
    Lol... buy PS5, sell empty box, make more money on the box than the PS5 cost!

Some people out there very desperate and are not checking what they are bidding on.

That's it exactly, the hysteria of it all. He listed the box for £5

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,422 ✭✭✭✭Blazer

dines08 wrote: »
    That's it exactly, the hysteria of it all. He listed the box for £5

ah well those suckers deserve it then lol.

My company got 500 of them for last Friday and to combat the scalper bots they only released them 3-5 at a time.
    Hopefully normal people picked them up.

• Registered Users Posts: 107 ✭✭robertdempsey

Hi, Purchased my console in Smiths but thinking about taking out some extra warranty on it.
    Has anyone done this? Who did you go with?

I found out that you can get "Microsoft Complete " cover but can find much information on it.
    My search began as I'm looking at the Elite 2 controller but many people recommend taking out extra cover as alot of them fall apart

• Registered Users Posts: 111 ✭✭m8051

Hi, Purchased my console in Smiths but thinking about taking out some extra warranty on it.

I found out that you can get "Microsoft Complete " cover but can find much information on it.
    My search began as I'm looking at the Elite 2 controller but many people recommend taking out extra cover as alot of them fall apart

Hey robertdempsey I bought mine on MS Store and thinking of extending its warranty or some sort of such thing ... let me know if you find out anything ...

• Registered Users Posts: 7,593 ✭✭✭theteal

If any additional warranty doesn't cover user damage, just leave it to your consumer rights.

This is the URL for the "Microsoft Complete – Protection"
    https://www.microsoft.com/en-gb/store/b/microsoft-complete?rtc=1&wa=wsignin1.0&activetab=pivot2:richpivot2-1

It costs €50 for 3 years.

I read this from the small print...

"
    1Microsoft Complete for Xbox: For mechanical breakdowns and accidental damage claims, maximum of: one (1) Xbox console replacement; two (2) Xbox One standard controller replacements OR one (1) Xbox Elite Controller replacement (whichever is applicable to your purchase); and one (1) associated power supply unit with attaching cords replacement, when such are originally supplied by Microsoft within a single, all-in-one packaged purchase.
    "

There was an issue with getting mine added so a support ticket has been logged, should hear back in 24 horus

On another note I would suggest everyone going into their Microsoft account and go to "Devices"
    When I went in there I could see my XBOX.
    I noticed the end support was showing at January 2022 so getting in touch to get this extended to the full 24 months.

I also added the controller (The included one) as a new device.
    The serial number for this is located under the batteries.
    When I added this controller it also shows the wrong support end so this will need to be updated too.

Hopefully all sorted over the next few days

On another note I would suggest everyone going into their Microsoft account and go to "Devices"
    When I went in there I could see my XBOX.
    I noticed the end support was showing at January 2022 so getting in touch to get this extended to the full 24 months.

I also added the controller (The included one) as a new device.
    The serial number for this is located under the batteries.
    When I added this controller it also shows the wrong support end so this will need to be updated too.

Hopefully all sorted over the next few days

Oooh brilliant I added my controller as well and got the warranty until Oct 2022, on the other hand the warranty of the Xbox Series is until Nov 2021.

Did you manage to extend the warranty to 24 months?

Thanks

Not yet,
    They had to take the ticket offline and get back to me (Hopefully tomorrow).
    There will be no issues getting the full 24 months as I have the receipts

Not yet,
    They had to take the ticket offline and get back to me (Hopefully tomorrow).
    There will be no issues getting the full 24 months as I have the receipts

I touched based with support through the webchat and they mentioned to me warranty for console is 1 year only, hope you have better luck

Did you mention you are in Ireland?
    It should be 2 years warranty for EU countries.

Quote this link to them..

"

https://europa.eu/youreurope/business/dealing-with-customers/consumer-contracts-guarantees/consumer-guarantees/index_en.htm

"

• Advertisement

"

https://europa.eu/youreurope/business/dealing-with-customers/consumer-contracts-guarantees/consumer-guarantees/index_en.htm

"

I did not but will get in touch again and see how it goes, thanks for the link, will post any updates ..

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 14,866 Mod ✭✭✭✭whiterebel

"

"

Ireland didn’t implement the 2 year part. We rely in the Sale of Goods Act. There is no 2 year warranty in Ireland.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,106 ✭✭✭dar83

Are people that concerned about their console/controllers that they're taking out extended warranties??

I don't get it. It's not even an overly expensive bit of electronics, compared to a phone, TV, PC, Laptop, audio system etc...

The 360 had it's issues but nothing MS has released since has shown any high level of failure. I wouldn't be worrying about getting into a discussion with customer service about anything anyway.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,270 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatInABox

whiterebel wrote: »
    Ireland didn’t implement the 2 year part. We rely in the Sale of Goods Act. There is no 2 year warranty in Ireland.

Lol, the support staff don't know that though.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,374 ✭✭✭Homelander

I don't get the urgency about this either. Ireland has much stronger consumer laws. Any retailer or MS can tell you that you "only" have a 1 year warranty, but it doesn't work that way.

The reasonable lifespan of an Xbox Series X would be several years at a minimum. If it broke in 2 years time, even if the retailer point blank refused to address it.....any judge in the small claims court would deem it completely unreasonable for a €500 device to fail after 2 years.

In 99% of cases it doesn't get that far when the retailer realises that you're aware of the SCC process.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,971 ✭✭✭RGARDINR

So what do people reckon with gamestop who are in wave 2, email says end of November so more or less there now, if no email is sent do you reckon when shops are open next wk they will have it in store for collection some point next week?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,554 ✭✭✭sniper_samurai

RGARDINR wrote: »
    So what do people reckon with gamestop who are in wave 2, email says end of November so more or less there now, if no email is sent do you reckon when shops are open next wk they will have it in store for collection some point next week?

https://twitter.com/GameStopIE/status/1331888734657269761?s=19

• Registered Users Posts: 1,971 ✭✭✭RGARDINR

Ahh class so should be fine there now. Thanks. Saying that would prefer to collect from store be good if they give the option for next week. Just least nó worries of delivery then.

• Registered Users Posts: 7 Davobbz

1 series X in Tralee Smyth's

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 22,929 ✭✭✭✭ShadowHearth

I wonder if will even be wave 2. I preordered on 11th of October. If shops reopen on Tuesday, then I much prefer pick it up there.

Advertisement