Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Xbox General discussion **No Order Chat Here**

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,272 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatInABox

Hey_Listen wrote: »
    All I'm saying is that they need something new, first party, that was developed with the hardware to show it off. Forza 4, Ori, Gears all updated ( e.g. 4k 120 fps ) ... but they need something new. I know Halo slipped, but I'm not sure that's a draw anymore when you've got a gazillion FPSs out there. Maybe they've just been unlucky with covid and games were not ready or optimised on time. They seem to have got everything else covered.

(edit - coming from one x ... so the leap is not be so apparent for me ... right now)

Yeah, they really need something to show off why people show go with Series X right now. Even an equivalent of Astros Playroom, but for graphics/load times, something small and free.

They really bet the farm on Halo, and it's really backfired. Next year will be better, and the year after that, and so on, but right now, the cupboard is very, very bare.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,309 ✭✭✭✭wotzgoingon

CatInABox wrote: »
    Yeah, they really need something to show off why people show go with Series X right now. Even an equivalent of Astros Playroom, but for graphics/load times, something small and free.

They really bet the farm on Halo, and it's really backfired. Next year will be better, and the year after that, and so on, but right now, the cupboard is very, very bare.

I don't really care as I have a tonne of games still to go through. And a lot of them are also on Game pass. I am currently going through Batman Arkham Knight. And played a bit of Halo Master Chief collection. I'm currently a small bit into Halo Combat Evolved for the third time. I played it on the original Xbox and then some special edition on the 360 and now in the master Chief collection. Only reason I decided to play it is because it has 4k 120Hz so I said I will check it out. I also like the way you can download individual games in MCC. As it is a massive download and great how I have the first downloaded and not having to worry about downloading the whole 120GB's before I play the game.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 204 ✭✭Hey_Listen

Yep - Astros Playroom is a great idea. Short and sweet, but shows what the system or at least the controller can do. Also: Spiderman MM is more like a DLC for Spiderman, but it still shows what's possible. That + Demon's Souls for the "hardcore" gamer. These games are expensive vs what you might get for "free" on game pass, but that doesn't matter. People want to know what's possible and have things improved or are they still the same.

Nintendo went nuclear with BOTW on Switch and the promise of Mario Odyssey (etc) which they delivered on. Their big failure WiiU, had nothing really at launch.

So, it can't just be a graphics demo and/or a hardware release. It has to be a fully fledged 9/10 + game. That's fresh or has a fresh angle. Also, it can't be an 18 cert game that positioned mostly at guys. It has to be more universal.

Hopefully Valhalla will get patched for soon and Cyberpunk will show us the way! Also, looking forward to the free Witcher 3 remaster for S X. Holding off on playing that until then.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,442 ✭✭✭✭murpho999

Hey_Listen wrote: »
    All I'm saying is that they need something new, first party, that was developed with the hardware to show it off. Forza 4, Ori, Gears all updated ( e.g. 4k 120 fps ) ... but they need something new. I know Halo slipped, but I'm not sure that's a draw anymore when you've got a gazillion FPSs out there. Maybe they've just been unlucky with covid and games were not ready or optimised on time. They seem to have got everything else covered.

(edit - coming from one x ... so the leap is not be so apparent for me ... right now)

Why does it need something new?

What have Sony done, Miles Morales which is also on PS4 and a remake of Demon Souls?

What's the obsession people have (including journalists & You Tubers) with exclusives?
    How does a game being exclusive automatically make it a good game and also make the console better.

There's loads of stuff on Xbox at present that has Series S/X ability and that's only going to grow as time passes.

Also, I fully expect that as developers get used to the new Xbox architecture that cross platform games may play better on the Series X and also by then there will be loads of first party exclusives out from the all the studios that Microsoft now own.

I didn't just get the console for this Chirstmas period but a belief in the future of the Console and Game Pass that also includes EA Play.

whiterebel wrote: »
    It seems to be a case that they can't access any information on in store preorders. It doesn't make sense to do it that way, in this day and age, but it seems to be. If the closed shops can't access the specific information for their customer, they can't complete the order. Seems a bit mad.
    Closing stores right before a next gen console launch was idiotic, especially knowing they wouldn't be able to access in store orders. They could have kept stores open for click and collect and store deliveries.

So if they don't have access to in store pre orders it means we are sh!t out of luck until after Xmas. All our orders have gone out to online orders. What a way to support your physical in store customers in an age where your brick and mortar business is becoming less and less relevant.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 388 ✭✭insert name here 123

I have to say thanks to those posting on the thread. I wasn't aware you could just check Smyths online for stock updates.

I managed to be online (Smyths) Saturday, had 24 in Cork, 10 in swords, 4 in athlone. Missed them all. Refreshed the page, 12 popped up in Blanchardstown. Happy days, reserved and rocked up to collect all within 35mins!

Cheers again

• Closed Accounts Posts: 204 ✭✭Hey_Listen

murpho999 wrote: »

What have Sony done, Miles Morales which is also on PS4 and a remake of Demon Souls?

What's the obsession people have (including journalists & You Tubers) with exclusives?
    How does a game being exclusive automatically make it a good game and also make the console better.

There's loads of stuff on Xbox at present that has Series S/X ability and that's only going to grow as time passes.

Also, I fully expect that as developers get used to the new Xbox architecture that cross platform games may play better on the Series X and also by then there will be loads of first party exclusives out from the all the studios that Microsoft now own.

I didn't just get the console for this Chirstmas period but a belief in the future of the Console and Game Pass that also includes EA Play.

Updated ... See my post before yours.

• Registered Users Posts: 920 ✭✭✭markad1

Smyths - Limerick Ennis Road - 2 units 19:23

• Registered Users Posts: 122 ✭✭Cocobongo

Stock available in kilkenny and cavan, just ordered mine

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 382 ✭✭oldtimeyfella

Cocobongo wrote: »

What shop?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,548 ✭✭✭bassy

what shop?

Sorry - argos

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 382 ✭✭oldtimeyfella

Sorry - argos

I checked Argos kilkenny when you posted and they had none.

• Registered Users Posts: 421 ✭✭sapper

Im seeing 1 in Limerick smyths

• Registered Users Posts: 14,309 ✭✭✭✭wotzgoingon

sapper wrote: »
    Im seeing 1 in Limerick smyths

It must be a bug as you cannot add it to your cart.

• Registered Users Posts: 7 Davobbz

It must be a bug as you cannot add it to your cart.

Yeah I've been trying for ages here. It mustn't exist.

Edit: it's gone. Thought I'd finally gotten lucky

Monaghan argos for series S 20:56

Monaghan argos for series S 20:56

There was tonnes of Series S's outside Dublin earlier, but a lot has been snapped up.

Right now, all that's left is:
    Monaghan: 4
    Castlebar: 3
    Letterkenny: 3
    Killarney: 2
    Tralee: 5+

• Registered Users Posts: 22,929 ✭✭✭✭ShadowHearth

Just went to adverts and donedeal to see if Scalpers are high on the horse, having the best time of their lofes, but appearantly both places really don't let any of new consoles get on listing, or i pressure, if they get in, theu being removed. Fair play. Wasn't there some fella tried it here yesterday too?

Reserved a sereis s for collection tomorrow in Argos. Would personally prefer an Xbox one s for the 4k blu ray, but I'll get this as it might be a valuable Christmas present for someone if they remain hard to get before Xmas.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,575 ✭✭✭ZiabR

I didn't just get the console for this Christmas period but a belief in the future of the Console and Game Pass that also includes EA Play.

Agree with you 100% but something else that I think Microsoft need to be clear on is the acquisition of ZeniMax. It makes little sense to spend 7.5 billion dollar on a company (to give you an edge) only to allow sales and development on your competitors platform. If Sony had purchased ZeniMax, we wouldn't even be having a discussion on what will and wont be available on both platforms. Sony would make everything exclusive to Playstation. Its part of the reason Sony have done so well last generation. They did have better and more exclusives.

I understand if Starfield has been in development for years that it makes sense to launch on both platforms, given the time and money spent to date but for future games like Elder Scrolls, Fallout, Doom etc, these need to be Xbox/PC exclusive. It is exactly how Microsoft will be able to drive sales on Series X but more importantly, Series S. I believe this is exactly the reason why Microsoft has the Series S, its a cheap way for to win some of Sony's player base over to play what will be some of the hottest AAA games in the next 5 years. For €299 you can get a console that will allow access to all of Microsoft studio owned games day 1.

Its a little naive to say that exclusives mean feck all because its not true. Its all I've heard and read about for the past 7 years on PS4... "Sony have better exclusives and that's why people went for a PS4 over an Xbox etc". Exclusives do carry weight and its about time Microsoft made their position clear on future ZeniMax games. I am confident that it would drive hardware sales if they were to stay on Microsoft consoles only.

Then again perhaps Microsoft don't really care about hardware sales and instead want to make as much money off software sales as possible. If they take that approach they will NEVER be able to shift the tide of hardware sales vs PlayStation. Denying access on the Sony platform is a rotten move and one that ultimately hurts gamers but lets be honest, that approach hasn't bothered Sony much, they have been happy to give both Xbox gamers and Microsoft two fingers for the last 7 years.

• Registered Users Posts: 598 ✭✭✭Tij da feen

ZiabR wrote: »
    Agree with you 100% but something else that I think Microsoft need to be clear on is the acquisition of ZeniMax. It makes little sense to spend 7.5 billion dollar on a company (to give you an edge) only to allow sales and development on your competitors platform. If Sony had purchased ZeniMax, we wouldn't even be having a discussion on what will and wont be available on both platforms. Sony would make everything exclusive to Playstation. Its part of the reason Sony have done so well last generation. They did have better and more exclusives.

I understand if Starfield has been in development for years that it makes sense to launch on both platforms, given the time and money spent to date but for future games like Elder Scrolls, Fallout, Doom etc, these need to be Xbox/PC exclusive. It is exactly how Microsoft will be able to drive sales on Series X but more importantly, Series S. I believe this is exactly the reason why Microsoft has the Series S, its a cheap way for to win some of Sony's player base over to play what will be some of the hottest AAA games in the next 5 years. For €299 you can get a console that will allow access to all of Microsoft studio owned games day 1.

Its a little naive to say that exclusives mean feck all because its not true. Its all I've heard and read about for the past 7 years on PS4... "Sony have better exclusives and that's why people went for a PS4 over an Xbox etc". Exclusives do carry weight and its about time Microsoft made their position clear on future ZeniMax games. I am confident that it would drive hardware sales if they were to stay on Microsoft consoles only.

Then again perhaps Microsoft don't really care about hardware sales and instead want to make as much money off software sales as possible. If they take that approach they will NEVER be able to shift the tide of hardware sales vs PlayStation. Denying access on the Sony platform is a rotten move and one that ultimately hurts gamers but lets be honest, that approach hasn't bothered Sony much, they have been happy to give both Xbox gamers and Microsoft two fingers for the last 7 years.

The already planned PS exclusives will still go ahead. Phil Spencer said this a few months back:
    "Xbox plans to honor the PS5 exclusivity commitment for Deathloop and Ghostwire: Tokyo.

Future Bethesda games will be on Xbox, PC, and "other consoles on a case by case basis."

I imagine the decisions at the time will be focused on the lay of the land - how much revenue they would expect to "lose" by not including playstation vs. how many consoles/Game Pass subscriptions they would sell by having it Microsoft exclusive.

I don't see the advantage in them being clear about this right now. It's much easier to remain tight-lipped which gives you more options in the future. Likely this news has already caused some people to switch Xbox over PS.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,442 ✭✭✭✭murpho999

I don't think MS can fully comment on everything yet as the acquisition is not complete yet and will do so next year.

I don't believe Xbox lost the last generation due to exclusives but due to the terrible launch with Kinect, TV and DRM and then followed up by Don Mattrick becoming Playstation Salesman of the Decade by telling people that the 360 is there for people without internet access. PS took full advantage of that in every way and Phil Spencer and his team have performed a miracle in all fairness that they still exist in this generation.

Anyhow, exclusives, yes it's important and I think MS have choices.
    They don't need to put it on PS platform to recover acquisition costs as many Sony fanboys think as they're wealthy.
    It depends on what strategy they want to choose. Make all games exclusive and therefore restrict access to the games and force gamers to buy a console.
    Or make some games available on other platforms and get their software out to as many people as possible. It makes MS look pro-gamer.

Don't forget these games will be free on Game Pass whilst full price on other platforms.
    Recently their CFO said that the games will be better on MS platforms which is interesting.

At the end of the day if you've got an Xbox and Gamepass then I don't see why you'd worry if a game is available on PS or not.

It's for those that who have not decided which console to get that they may be swayed by very cheap games on Gamepass over PS full price option even if new Bethesda games are there and that's what MS is trying to do.

• Registered Users Posts: 849 ✭✭✭Blanchy90

I'd usually be a ps player (since the ps1) and i'd get the xbox later on in the lifecycle of the consoles. The gamepass deal completely swapped this for me last year and I've ordered the series x and tbh I don't see myself getting the ps5 at any point in the near future

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,272 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatInABox

I don't think MS can fully comment on everything yet as the acquisition is not complete yet and will do so next year.

Yes, the deal should be approved early next year, and at that stage MS can announce what they're going to do with it. Until then, they're two separate companies, and have to act like it. Phil Spencer can't talk about any plans for the Bethesda games, and Bethesda still has to bear in mind their own stockholders. An example of this is Deathloop becoming PS exclusive, even though they were certainly in talks about being bought out totally.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,575 ✭✭✭ZiabR

Yes, the deal should be approved early next year, and at that stage MS can announce what they're going to do with it. Until then, they're two separate companies, and have to act like it. Phil Spencer can't talk about any plans for the Bethesda games, and Bethesda still has to bear in mind their own stockholders. An example of this is Deathloop becoming PS exclusive, even though they were certainly in talks about being bought out totally.

I don't see them as one and the same. The deal between Microsoft and ZeniMax is done. If you think for a second that Microsoft would be able to announce a deal like that if there was still negotiations and legal taking place, your mistaken. Yes, they don't officially become one until next year but you can be 100% sure that all legal documents etc are signed or neither company would have been able to announce and confirm the deal as complete.

The Sony and Deathloop is different in that the deal between Sony and Bethesda was likely done well before any mention of a Microsoft take over was on the cards. Hence why Phil as said, they may have to honor deals that are already in place with Sony for games in development. Future games is what I am interested in and interested to know what Microsoft's stance will be with regards to platform exclusives.

• Registered Users Posts: 598 ✭✭✭Tij da feen

I don't see them as one and the same. The deal between Microsoft and ZeniMax is done. If you think for a second that Microsoft would be able to announce a deal like that if there was still negotiations and legal taking place, your mistaken. Yes, they don't officially become one until next year but you can be 100% sure that all legal documents etc are signed or neither company would have been able to announce and confirm the deal as complete.

The Sony and Deathloop is different in that the deal between Sony and Bethesda was likely done well before any mention of a Microsoft take over was on the cards. Hence why Phil as said, they may have to honor deals that are already in place with Sony for games in development. Future games is what I am interested in and interested to know what Microsoft's stance will be with regards to platform exclusives.

From a legal perspective, it's not done. All that has been communicated publicly is the intention to buy - this is normal in the world of acquisitions. Technically, this could be killed tomorrow and both companies would continue as normal. As Microsoft are a public company, this still needs to go through SEC approvals. They can't talk about their full intentions with the company as it may affect the final stages.

• Registered Users Posts: 388 ✭✭insert name here 123

I have a reservation for XBOX SERIES S 512GB

I'm athlone I can't get to it, if anyone here wants to avail PM me, genuine buyers please.

Series S and X redirect to a not in stock page on Argos now, even though there are definitely a few floating around still.

https://www.argos.ie/vp/a2t/roi_oos_xbox.html

Even though they're still showing when you do a search (unlike PS5), you can't seem to go straight in to try and reserve like you could previously.

• Advertisement

Oh, the negotiations are done and dusted, contracts are signed pending regulatory approval. That's the key thing here really, "pending regulory approval". Until the regulators approve this deal, MS and Bethesda are two completely separate companies, and they can get into massive legal headaches with both the regulators and their own shareholders if they start acting as one company.

Advertisement