Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Xbox General discussion **No Order Chat Here**

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 239 ✭✭antifyre

I thought you had the confirmation that you secured a launch allocation unit? Did they tell you something different since?

I did, but I'm not 100% convinced that I'll get it this week, or next week, or this side of Christmas. Their silence reeks of their plan being 'no plan'

• Registered Users Posts: 287 ✭✭Limpar

Their allocation was probably gone before the pre orders became available..

Some joke that they are allowed to sell pre orders 9 months before the pre orders become available..

Absolutely, I wouldn’t go near them in future.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,441 ✭✭✭✭murpho999

Hurrache wrote: »
    They're not questioning Microsoft, they're verifying it was the card holder that made the transaction.

OK but they need to develop a better way to verify.

Depending on people to respond to emails or any communication is wrong.

They shoudld be some way for the customer to notify bank online that a transaction is coming.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,403 ✭✭✭recyclops

murpho999 wrote: »
    I really don't get why banks would question a payment from a massive organisation like Microsoft who are not in the business of defrauding people.

from spending most of my lockdown working from home and listening to the Darknet Diaries podcast I can see why companies question everything that happens online :pac::pac::pac:

if youve never listened their two part special on the xbox hacking is excellent

• Registered Users Posts: 10,167 ✭✭✭✭Hurrache

They shoudld be some way for the customer to notify bank online that a transaction is coming.

Could be down to how the banks handle things differently, I've received automated texts before asking me to verify a transaction that they flag.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,092 ✭✭✭Doomofman

Quick question for folks that ordered from the MS store. If you go into Order Details on your order does the 'Ship To' address show the mobile number?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,403 ✭✭✭recyclops

Doomofman wrote: »
    Quick question for folks that ordered from the MS store. If you go into Order Details on your order does the 'Ship To' address show the mobile number?

No mine doesnt

• Registered Users Posts: 1,092 ✭✭✭Doomofman

recyclops wrote: »
    No mine doesnt

Thanks, was wondering if it was missing or they just don't show it

• Registered Users Posts: 34 dreamwalker1

Mine doesn't Doom. Mine shows delivery address with my eircode which I put in for easier delivery.

• Registered Users Posts: 27,904 ✭✭✭✭TitianGerm

You can ring the bank and tell them. I always do it before I order anything in a large value transaction.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,135 ✭✭✭beer enigma

Seems to have gone through ok

Microsoft have just taken the money for the order I placed on their French site, so hopefully thats all sorted !

04 Nov 20 POS Microsoft*Store, msbill.info 499.99

• Registered Users Posts: 1,099 ✭✭✭bazzz

Nobody knows what securing a launch allocation unit means for stores that are closed or if you are outside 5km.

It's a bit of a double edged sword in regards GS. People were complaining that they pre-ordered months ago and they were up in arms over it,
    because they didn't hear anything up to two weeks ago.Then they received their emails stating they had secured a launch allocation (meaning launch day).
    I believe they informed others they were in the second wave.
    Then people are complaining that GS probably had already sold their launch allocation when the official MS pre orders went live.
    I know people that ordered on the official pre-order day and they've secured the console for launch day.

Obviously a lot of the allocation went on the early pre-orders, that means mostly gamers were aware of the "register your interest" message. That GS put up on their website,
    not long after the consoles were announced. I seem to have become an advocate for GS indirectly. They've just never let me down.

Now you are having a moan at me because of Covid restrictions and are sounding like you're blaming GS for it. Not to be rude or anything, I wasn't asking you the question in the first place?
    Also GS contacted the people where the stores would be open for click&collect, giving them time slots for collection and finalising payments. They also stated they would be in touch with all
    the other launch day people with info on what will happen in regards their orders. I'd wait till at least Friday to see if they do contact those people and if they don't then people would have
    small reason to be upset. But again it's not their fault 2020 went tits-up.

TitianGerm wrote: »
    You can ring the bank and tell them. I always do it before I order anything in a large value transaction.

Ok , I didn't know you could do that but I'd like to see some sort of online system that's quick and easy. Hate ringing call centres.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,743 ✭✭✭bluemachaveli

Available on the Irish store again with a 'Get it as soon as 6 November date' :eek: Changed to 10th on a refresh, but still available.

Did some digging through the code on the ms order page and despite being charged, mine is still marked as unpaid. Hope it finalises soon and gets on a truck of some sort.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,876 ✭✭✭✭Cyrus

Available on the Irish store again with a 'Get it as soon as 6 November date' :eek:

Did some digging through the code on the ms order page and despite being charged, mine is still marked as unpaid. Hope it finalises soon and gets on a truck of some sort.

on this page? im not seeing it

https://www.xbox.com/en-ie/consoles/xbox-series-x?xr=shellnav&source=lp#purchase

bazzz wrote: »
    It's a bit of a double edged sword in regards GS. People were complaining that they pre-ordered months ago and they were up in arms over it,
    because they didn't hear anything up to two weeks ago.Then they received their emails stating they had secured a launch allocation (meaning launch day).
    I believe they informed others they were in the second wave.
    Then people are complaining that GS probably had already sold their launch allocation when the official MS pre orders went live.
    I know people that ordered on the official pre-order day and they've secured the console for launch day.

Obviously a lot of the allocation went on the early pre-orders, that means mostly gamers were aware of the "register your interest" message. That GS put up on their website,
    not long after the consoles were announced. I seem to have become an advocate for GS indirectly. They've just never let me down.

Now you are having a moan at me because of Covid restrictions and are sounding like you're blaming GS for it. Not to be rude or anything, I wasn't asking you the question in the first place?
    Also GS contacted the people where the stores would be open for click&collect, giving them time slots for collection and finalising payments. They also stated they would be in touch with all
    the other launch day people with info on what will happen in regards their orders. I'd wait till at least Friday to see if they do contact those people and if they don't then people would have
    small reason to be upset. But again it's not their fault 2020 went tits-up.
    Sorry didn't mean to upset anyone, I was just pointing out that people are wondering what securing a launch console means considering stores are closed or are outside peoples 5km radius.

You can check my posts and see i said GS should be given a break considering the sh!t they've been landed in over level 5 restrictions.

Personally, I've more important things to worry about in life. I'll get the console when I get it.

ZiabR wrote: »
    They are not mate, Digital Foundry did a piece on it. PS5 have much better Wifi and USB ports. PS5 went with WiFi 6 and Series X stuck with WiFi 5. PS5s USB ports cap out at 10Gbps and the Series X cap out at 5Gbps. Considerable differences.

I should point out that running internal SSD and a SSD expansion card on the Series X will become the norm so nothing to worry about really.

Get the console on ethernet and that eliminates the wifi issue.

I really don't see Wifi 6 as a dealbreaker.

• Registered Users Posts: 239 ✭✭antifyre

Sorry didn't mean to upset anyone, I was just pointing out that people are wondering what securing a launch console means considering stores are closed or are outside peoples 5km radius.

You can check my posts and see i said GS should be given a break considering the sh!t they've been landed in over level 5 restrictions.

Personally, I've more important things to worry about in life. I'll get the console when I get it.

My anger towards them is really around the lack of communication; happy to have an opportunity to get a console, and completely gave them cash when they were taking pre-orders, but they've left a number of folk without a clue. Even if they just came out and said 'We're sending it via An-Post, you won't have it till Friday', i'd be relatively happy.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,580 ✭✭✭quokula

I'd imagine most people can't run an ethernet cable to their living room tv all that easily. Would be far preferable to have a console that doesn't require you to make significant home alterations.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,575 ✭✭✭ZiabR

Its not a deal breaker at all to be honest. I was just pointing it out. By going with a cheaper WiFi and USB I suppose it freed up resources to be spent on the GPU, RAM, CPU etc.

WiFi 5 is fine, I'm using it now on the One X and I have never had an issue.

I actually phoned AIB card services today and they were able to confirm that Microsoft did a sort of pre check or card check in the last 24 hours. AIB reckon that the money will be taken in the new few days.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,550 ✭✭✭sniper_samurai

Neither do I considering PSNs notoriously poor download speeds. Should help with the PlayStation 3 & 4s poor wifi aerials though so speeds should be closer between wired and wireless.

• Registered Users Posts: 564 ✭✭✭gibgodsman

I actually phoned AIB card services today and they were able to confirm that Microsoft did a sort of pre check or card check in the last 24 hours. AIB reckon that the money will be taken in the new few days.

I did the same and got the same answer, I also did ring Microsoft and their customer service literally just kept retrying to confirm the payment option hoping it would take the payment but had no idea if it actually would work, honestly I hope the money is taken at latest tomorrow, because by Friday I would imagine it will be too late to be shipped for the 10th

• Registered Users Posts: 532 ✭✭✭Turquoise Hexagon Sun

They are not mate, Digital Foundry did a piece on it. PS5 have much better Wifi and USB ports. PS5 went with WiFi 6 and Series X stuck with WiFi 5. PS5s USB ports cap out at 10Gbps and the Series X cap out at 5Gbps. Considerable differences.

I should point out that running internal SSD and a SSD expansion card on the Series X will become the norm so nothing to worry about really.

A correction according to this site:

..PS5 will use WiFi 6 (802.11ax). WiFi 6 offers a maximum download speed of 9.6gbps, while WiFi 5 maxes out at 6.9gbps.

Not as bad a difference.

It's worth noting that PSN will now run on Microsoft's Azure CDN so, I'd the days of super slow downloads from PSN are over. However, will Microsoft give slightly faster speeds than Sony?

Edit: Correcting myself. PS Now will use Azure. I don't think the whole network will run on it. Thought that was bit wild myself.
    Source: https://www.tweaktown.com/news/65959/sony-microsoft-team-up-azure-power-playstation-now/index.html

Edit 2: I thought I originally quoted was talking about Wifi speeds, not USB speeds. My mistake.

A correction according to this site:

..PS5 will use WiFi 6 (802.11ax). WiFi 6 offers a maximum download speed of 9.6gbps, while WiFi 5 maxes out at 6.9gbps.

Not as bad a difference.

It's worth noting that PSN will now run on Microsoft's Azure CDN so, I'd the the days of super slow downloads from PSN are over. However, will Microsoft give slightly faster speeds than Sony?

I was referring to the USB speeds not the WiFi speeds. If you read my original comment, I state USB.

I was referring to the USB speeds not the WiFi speeds. If you read my original comment, I state USB.

Sorry for misunderstanding your post. My bad.

For anyone interested in the difference in Wifi Speeds between 5 and 6, well, see my above post.

I'm delighted with Smyths and how they handled pre-orders. Was told when I went in store to pre-order that they would only allow pre-orders for items they know they will stock. Then getting the text off them about how they'll operate during lockdown was a nice touch. I'll definitely go back to Smyth again and again for pre-orders. Great service.

WIFI 6 is forward-looking and the advantages are more than just a single metric. Sony decided to be future proof. Although most won't take advantage of it, it's certainly a commendable thing.

Fixed-location devices like TVs, consoles, PCs should always used wired networking where possible. A lot of people's wifi problems are simply because they have too many devices broadcasting, and their neighbours on all sides do as well. When you wire the things that can be wired, you don't just improve their connection, you improve the connection for everything else (that remains on wifi) as well.

I accept it's not possible or practical for a lot of people.

• Advertisement

Thankfully I'm in a good city suburb with fast and non-contentious broadband. Download speeds have been fast on Xbox. Getting away with using a 500gb harddrive this whole gen. That's not to say it wasn't a pain in the hole to download big games like Master Chief Collection but it wasn't the worst. I might download something going to bed and have the console time to turn of the console after 2-4 hours or whatever. So, rarely would I find myself waiting for downloads.

Having said that now, I do feel for people that don't have fast download speeds. I'm sure Wifi 6 will come in 3 or 4 years when the mid-gen refresh comes through.

Torn between AC: Valhalla and WD: Legion. I want legion more but I don't want to go from one Cyberpunk game to another. Cyberpunk 2077 being my greatest want since RDR2.

I'm thinking I might get Valhalla first, just because I love the contrast of going from old/fantasy to future-sci-fi. Also that Valhalla Druids DLC looks deadly.

Advertisement