Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on [email protected] for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact [email protected]

Clerical Officer in Prison Service

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,115 ✭✭✭job seeker

I received a reply today, I was informed that they are carrying out final checks and the results will be sent out next week. So it's positive news! 😊

• Registered Users Posts: 4 laulena94

Just got an email, I’m 8th on the order of merit for the offers! Says they don’t know how many vacancies they have yet

Congratulations! I placed 47th so I’m not holding any hope at all!!

Both my cousins are in the prison services, two different prisons and each have said they’ve loads of vacancies, plus the interview process has been going on for such a long time the circumstances of people in front of you will have changed, I wouldn’t give up hope yet ☺️

• Registered Users Posts: 8 kphe81

Well done to you both I passed too but got 34th but still hoping might get a spot people change minds or find something else in the wait time so we might get lucky. Plus we don't know how many they are taking on. I read before some dropped out due to training in portlaoise as they thought it was in dublin so many reasons people drop out. I think anywhere up to 60 there is a little chance

• Advertisement

Well done to you also Kphe81! Great result! I'd be hopeful at 34! 47 not so much though!

I hope you're right! I'd absolutely love to be notified about clearance! 😅

Wasn't the expression of interest for Dublin/Wicklow though? Which leaves it very limited!

However... As, I said above I hope ye are both right. I guess time will tell! 😂

Post edited by job seeker on

• Registered Users Posts: 45 Nina2

Hi all,

I was that long waiting for a reply I forgot I applied! I got placed on the panel however I have mislaid the salary info. Can anybody tell me what the starting wage and hours are?

If anybody on this forum is currently working clerical in a prison. Without disclosing too much but a general idea what is your daily work structure?

Thank you

Hi Nina, Kimbot posted a job spec in post number 221 on the previous page.

Thank you, €24k over 39 hours.

From the time you receive notification of place on panel, when does it expire?

Do we know how many are on a panel?

• Advertisement

No problem!

Campaign expires in October is what someone was told here.. So we’d want to be hearing something very soon, this or next week..

No idea how many are on the panel, I’d only be speculating if I was to guess..

Got a call about an hour ago, starting in Portlaoise for five weeks training on the 1st of November and shortly after the call got an email with documents for vetting!

• Registered Users Posts: 4 rielynoah

I got the same call! Are you guys staying also do you think it’s paid training? Can’t wait congrats guys!

Does anyone know how long vetting will be?

Faster than it used to be I was vetted last year for something else and took under a week

Ah great I wonder how long it takes for them to send the link out for us. Fingers crossed not long now

Sadly my order of merit wasnt reached but laulena94 said they got their link straight after call so maybe if you don't get link soon you should contact them just incase it's been forgotten in error

Ah great I’ll leave it to Monday and contact

• Registered Users Posts: 9 boi89

Where you in contact with anyone to say it definitely hadn’t been reached?. I’m in the same boat.

I have a family friend that works in the prison service that said they are doing another campaign in January. Wouldn’t make sense not to call forward who’s left before starting a new campaign surely?.

• Advertisement

It says you will be contacted for clearance if they reach your order of merit and i have not been contacted and as training begins in just over 3 weeks i assume my number not reached. As far as i know atm only 10 begin training on nov 1st so unless it changes they won't hit my 34. Another group could be called off this panel in january maybe before new campaign as training off those interveiws likely won't begin until at least march so maybe few more will get lucky or they take a larger group like you say seems silly to leave people on panel and start again.

It seems like they are still calling from same panel. Anybody that did start, do they feel they made the right choice? The training is it intense for the five weeks? Is flexi time allowed? Any allowance given on top of basic pay? Just in a dilemma vetting has been sent in so when that comes back, it will be most probably make a choice time. Any insight would be really appreciated as I am currently employed so unsure whether to change.

• Registered Users Posts: 2 JadeOs91

I got an email today for vetting, not sure what this means either, do I hand in my notice to my current job? I have to give a month's notice

• Registered Users Posts: 155 ✭✭valpuk

Hi all, just saw the new campaign for CO’s posted.

Can any existing COs pls tell me the work schedule?

Is it mon-fri or rota based?

Trying to determine if I can make it work with childcare.

Thanks

Garda vetting is the last stage. You haven't officially been given a start date for training, have you? If not I'd be tempted to hold off. Perhaps you could call the HR department and discuss your 4 week notice you have to provide perhaps. It wouldn't hurt.

Post edited by job seeker on

• Registered Users Posts: 687 ✭✭✭weadick

Depends on the prison. You may have to work Saturdays or evenings.

I'd be vary wary of accepting this position. There's a reason why they are always recruiting, PCO's are leaving in droves and have been since the grade was first introduced in 2012.

Out of curiosity do you work in the role yourself?

If so, what's the reason that all the PCO's are leaving?

• Registered Users Posts: 687 ✭✭✭weadick

I don't but I know a few people who did. It depends, some people liked it.. There are a lot of good things about the job. But the work load is alot heavier than in the general civil service and you don't get flexi time etc. Most people that join go on to either become prison officers or move to the civil service.

• Registered Users Posts: 555 ✭✭✭laoisgem

I've worked in IPS, on a temporary role. Loved it at the time but looking back it was absolute madness.

The Department I work in now has 3 previous PASO's, one I worked closely left for a HEO role in another department and another left after getting EO. Current girl as a CO having worked in IPS was willing to leave the CS if she didn't get a transfer to another department. Food for thought, I guess it depends on your own personal circumstances.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2 JadeOs91

Hello, I got a call in June to say training had been pushed back to August from the 4th of July, anyone heard anything about training?

Advertisement