Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

President Donald Trump - Formal Impeachment Inquiry Announced

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,034 ✭✭✭mad muffin

Link it so.

It was on Fox News

987-E61-CB-0-DE2-460-C-B1-CC-AB5-AFBFF4713.jpg

notobtuse wrote: »
    Fox News seems to have become the Never Trump Network since Murdoch’s son took control.

That Fox News poll which showed 51% of voters were in favor of Trump’s impeachment and removal from office underrepresented republicans. Pollster Braun Research, which conducted the poll, noted 48% of its respondents were Democrats. Actual party affiliation is 31% Democrat, 29% Republican and 38% independent, according to Gallup. You’d think Fox News would let us know their survey was tainted and weighted incorrectly in favor of Democrats. I guess not with the new generation of Murdochs, apparently.

Yes. I read that too. Don’t forget Paul Ryan is on the board now. To say he dislikes Trump would be an understatement.

• Registered Users Posts: 82,083 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

Fox News seems to have become the Never Trump Network since Murdoch’s son took control.

Not the son you're thinking of.

Great "never Trump network" for hosting Hannity, Watters, and Carlson. :rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:
    That Fox News poll which showed 51% of voters were in favor of Trump’s impeachment and removal from office underrepresented republicans. Pollster Braun Research, which conducted the poll, noted 48% of its respondents were Democrats. Actual party affiliation is 31% Democrat, 29% Republican and 38% independent, according to Gallup. You’d think Fox News would let us know their survey was tainted and weighted incorrectly in favor of Democrats. I guess not with the new generation of Murdochs, apparently.
    https://www.washingtonpost.com/politics/2019/10/15/trump-is-war-with-statistics-and-its-going-about-well-youd-imagine/

In recent days, Trump’s frustration about polling has been focused not on his approval rating or his chances in 2020 but on impeachment. When Fox News’s pollsters last week announced that 51 percent of respondents believed Trump should be both impeached and removed from office, Trump turned against his favorite cable news network.

“From the day I announced I was running for President, I have NEVER had a good Fox News Poll,” he tweeted on the day the poll came out. “Whoever their Pollster is, they suck.”

As is often the case, Trump was joined in his efforts to brush away bad news by allies and the conservative media ecosystem. In short order, Trump defenders started digging into the Fox poll, raising various specious questions about how it was conducted and who was targeted.

There emerged during the 2012 presidential race a concept called “unskewing,” in which polls that showed President Barack Obama leading Republican nominee Mitt Romney were adjusted by third parties to (in their estimation) better reflect the electorate. Those unskewed polls generally showed Romney winning, though, as history books can confirm, Romney did not win.

The New York Post decided to unskew the Fox News poll.

“Princeton, New Jersey, pollster Braun Research, which conducted the survey, noted 48% of its respondents were Democrats,” the tabloid’s Mary Kay Linge wrote on Friday. “But the actual breakdown of party affiliation is 31% Democrat, 29% Republican and 38% independent, according to Gallup.”

The “real” values? “A poll weighted for party affiliation would have concluded that 44.9% favored impeachment and 44.4% opposed it,” Linge wrote, pointing to “Post analysis.”

There are all sorts of misleading aspects of that “analysis,” including the use of tenths of a percent to make the results appear more statistically accurate. Doesn’t 44.9 percent look more precise than Fox News’s original 51 percent value? Well, it isn’t.

Among the many reasons? The assumption about what Gallup shows is itself wrong. Yes, Gallup’s most recent polling shows the party breakdown above. But most independents typically vote with one party or the other. Democrats and Democrat-leaning independents make up 49 percent of the population — about where the Fox News poll had them. There are a range of other problems with reweighting solely on party and without access to the original numbers, but we think we’ve made our point.

still shows at best/worst a split in impeachment

• Registered Users Posts: 5,256 ✭✭✭Cody montana

mad muffin wrote: »
    It was on Fox News

That’s not a Fox News poll.

mad muffin wrote: »
    It was on Fox News

https://poll.qu.edu/national/release-detail?ReleaseID=3644

Be more interesting to see the unskewed value now.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,423 ✭✭✭✭Outlaw Pete

Overheal wrote: »
    I never said she didn't say what she said on the video. Your claim was she went on there with an agenda to link the two. Again this video isn't evidence of your claim. Thats all you do Pete, post videos and make wild tangential claims about them.

You're unreal. You clearly said:
    She was answering a question from one of the stupid hosts who pushed impeachment into Rice's response the Kurdistan and you want to blame her for having a premeditated agenda to link the two on her visit?

They are YOUR words I'm quoting and no, the hosts did not do what you are saying they did at all. You're wrong, again.

Rice brought up impeachment in the context of Syrian withdrawal (and it's likely consequences) and pointing that out is making a "tangential claim" :P

Admit you're wrong, for once.

• Registered Users Posts: 39,848 ✭✭✭✭Boggles

Independents in the majority vote either Democrat or Republican, what's the breakdown when that is included?

Trumps favorite pollster Rasmussen has is at 50% this morning on par with Fox more or less.

14% of GOP voters would support impeachment and removal.

IMHO polls can fúck off TBH.

They are not a crystal ball.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,204 ✭✭✭Billy Mays

Fox News the Never Trump Network

tenor.gif

• Registered Users Posts: 7,236 ✭✭✭mcmoustache

Billy Mays wrote: »
    Fox News the Never Trump Network

tenor.gif

We were always at war with Eurasia.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,015 ✭✭✭✭James Brown

He's not a lying sack of sh*te, it's just all the medias don't like him now :rolleyes:

• Advertisement
  • Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 75,829 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

This thread is very clearly more about politics than verifiable facts. Both sides of the (US) political spectrum will, and indeed in this thread have, tried to find anything that can be twisted in a way to support their position

Can I please ask that all of you step back a little, and look at your "contributions" to this particular discussion. None of it looks pretty at all, and all of you seem to fall into the trap of blindly following your own political persuasion at the expense of civilised debate

Perhaps if you thought a bit more deeply before posting we could have a constructive discussion, rather than tit for tat point scoring

I know it's a lot to ask, but please, give it a go - you may all actually start to appreciate there's always two sides to something like this, and it's unlikely that one of those sides will be 100% correct (nor indeed anything approaching 100%)

Thanking you all in anticipation......

You're unreal. You clearly said:

They are YOUR words I'm quoting and no, the hosts did not do what you are saying they did at all. You're wrong, again.

Rice brought up impeachment in the context of Syrian withdrawal (and it's likely consequences) and pointing that out is making a "tangential claim" :P

Admit you're wrong, for once.

Wrong about what? That the reason she mentioned it at all was because The View prompted her to? You keep shifting the goalpost and whacking strawmen.

Wrong about what? That the reason she mentioned it at all was because The View prompted her to?

Yes.
    You keep shifting the goalpost and whacking strawmen.

You said it. You were wrong. No goalpost moving. No strawman.

Schiff is some asshole. He says about republicans, and I quote:
    "They don't want to discuss the president's conduct, they would much rather discuss process, because they can't defend the president's conduct and every time they're asked you see just how difficult, how indeed impossible it is to justify the unjustifiable"

What an absolute crock. Multiple republican members of congress have given lengthy interviews about the phone call and defended it.

Pelosi also said more or less the same (almost as if they're rehearsed it):
    "They can't defend the president's conduct"

What baloney.

• #FeelTheBern

• Registered Users Posts: 798 ✭✭✭Rockbeast2

That young Biden lad seems like an honest guy.

LOL

2-Term Trump

• Registered Users Posts: 29,006 ✭✭✭✭Wanderer78

Rockbeast2 wrote:
    2-Term Trump

I'd say it ll be between Warren and trump, and unfortunately it ll probably be trump again from that

Wanderer78 wrote: »
    I'd say it ll be between Warren and trump, and unfortunately it ll probably be trump again from that

I genuinely can’t believe America would stand for another 4 years of this ****storm.

He has accomplished nothing.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,006 ✭✭✭✭Wanderer78

I genuinely can’t believe America would stand for another 4 years of this ****storm.

but it isnt truly up to the voting people of america, there are other elements at play in voting in a president, and im still convinced, trump again will be the outcome, i could be wrong of course

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,236 ✭✭✭mcmoustache

Hey Pete. Since you seem to be familiar with how House investigations work, perhaps you would be so kind as to point to a few which were completely held in the open.

I've been trying to think of a few going back as far as Benghazi and I can't think of any. All the ones I can think of were closed sessions with the occasional bit of open questioning. Benghazi for example had hundreds of witnesses and only one of those testified in the open.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,127 ✭✭✭✭drunkmonkey

He's accomplished loads, have to hand it to him for making the left look like a bunch of non-binary baby eating clowns.

Trump Administration Accomplishments
    Almost 4 million jobs created since election.
    More Americans are now employed than ever recorded before in our history.
    We have created more than 400,000 manufacturing jobs since my election.
    Manufacturing jobs growing at the fastest rate in more than THREE DECADES.
    Economic growth last quarter hit 4.2 percent.
    New unemployment claims recently hit a 49-year low.
    Median household income has hit highest level ever recorded.
    African-American unemployment has recently achieved the lowest rate ever recorded.
    Hispanic-American unemployment is at the lowest rate ever recorded.
    Asian-American unemployment recently achieved the lowest rate ever recorded.
    Women’s unemployment recently reached the lowest rate in 65 years.
    Youth unemployment has recently hit the lowest rate in nearly half a century.
    Lowest unemployment rate ever recorded for Americans without a high school diploma.
    Under my Administration, veterans’ unemployment recently reached its lowest rate in nearly 20 years.
    Almost 3.9 million Americans have been lifted off food stamps since the election.
    The Pledge to America’s Workers has resulted in employers committing to train more than 4 million Americans. We are committed to VOCATIONAL education.
    95 percent of U.S. manufacturers are optimistic about the future—the highest ever.
    Retail sales surged last month, up another 6 percent over last year.
    Signed the biggest package of tax cuts and reforms in history. After tax cuts, over $300 billion poured back in to the U.S. in the first quarter alone.
    As a result of our tax bill, small businesses will have the lowest top marginal tax rate in more than 80 years.
    Helped win U.S. bid for the 2028 Summer Olympics in Los Angeles.
    Helped win U.S.-Mexico-Canada’s united bid for 2026 World Cup.
    Opened ANWR and approved Keystone XL and Dakota Access Pipelines.
    Record number of regulations eliminated.
    Enacted regulatory relief for community banks and credit unions.
    Obamacare individual mandate penalty GONE.
    My Administration is providing more affordable healthcare options for Americans through association health plans and short-term duration plans.
    Last month, the FDA approved more affordable generic drugs than ever before in history. And thanks to our efforts, many drug companies are freezing or reversing planned price increases.
    We reformed the Medicare program to stop hospitals from overcharging low-income seniors on their drugs—saving seniors hundreds of millions of dollars this year alone.
    Signed Right-To-Try legislation.
    Secured $6 billion in NEW funding to fight the opioid epidemic.
    We have reduced high-dose opioid prescriptions by 16 percent during my first year in office.
    Signed VA Choice Act and VA Accountability Act, expanded VA telehealth services, walk-in-clinics, and same-day urgent primary and mental health care.
    Increased our coal exports by 60 percent; U.S. oil production recently reached all-time high.
    United States is a net natural gas exporter for the first time since 1957.
    Withdrew the United States from the job-killing Paris Climate Accord.
    Cancelled the illegal, anti-coal, so-called Clean Power Plan.
    Secured record $700 billion in military funding; $716 billion next year.
    NATO allies are spending $69 billion more on defense since 2016.
    Process has begun to make the Space Force the 6th branch of the Armed Forces.
    Confirmed more circuit court judges than any other new administration.
    Confirmed Supreme Court Justice Neil Gorsuch and nominated Judge Brett Kavanaugh.
    Withdrew from the horrible, one-sided Iran Deal.
    Moved U.S. Embassy to Jerusalem.
    Protecting Americans from terrorists with the Travel Ban, upheld by Supreme Court.
    Issued Executive Order to keep open Guantanamo Bay.
    Concluded a historic U.S.-Mexico Trade Deal to replace NAFTA. And negotiations with Canada are underway as we speak.
    Reached a breakthrough agreement with the E.U. to increase U.S. exports.
    Imposed tariffs on foreign steel and aluminum to protect our national security.
    Imposed tariffs on China in response to China’s forced technology transfer, intellectual property theft, and their chronically abusive trade practices.
    Net exports are on track to increase by $59 billion this year.
    Improved vetting and screening for refugees, and switched focus to overseas resettlement.
    We have begun BUILDING THE WALL. Republicans want STRONG BORDERS and NO CRIME. Democrats want OPEN BORDERS which equals MASSIVE CRIME.

He's accomplished loads, have to hand it to him for making the left look like a bunch of non-binary baby eating clowns.

Trump Administration Accomplishments
    Almost 4 million jobs created since election.
    More Americans are now employed than ever recorded before in our history.
    We have created more than 400,000 manufacturing jobs since my election.
    Manufacturing jobs growing at the fastest rate in more than THREE DECADES.
    Economic growth last quarter hit 4.2 percent.
    New unemployment claims recently hit a 49-year low.
    Median household income has hit highest level ever recorded.
    African-American unemployment has recently achieved the lowest rate ever recorded.
    Hispanic-American unemployment is at the lowest rate ever recorded.
    Asian-American unemployment recently achieved the lowest rate ever recorded.
    Women’s unemployment recently reached the lowest rate in 65 years.
    Youth unemployment has recently hit the lowest rate in nearly half a century.
    Lowest unemployment rate ever recorded for Americans without a high school diploma.
    Under my Administration, veterans’ unemployment recently reached its lowest rate in nearly 20 years.
    Almost 3.9 million Americans have been lifted off food stamps since the election.
    The Pledge to America’s Workers has resulted in employers committing to train more than 4 million Americans. We are committed to VOCATIONAL education.
    95 percent of U.S. manufacturers are optimistic about the future—the highest ever.
    Retail sales surged last month, up another 6 percent over last year.
    Signed the biggest package of tax cuts and reforms in history. After tax cuts, over $300 billion poured back in to the U.S. in the first quarter alone.
    As a result of our tax bill, small businesses will have the lowest top marginal tax rate in more than 80 years.
    Helped win U.S. bid for the 2028 Summer Olympics in Los Angeles.
    Helped win U.S.-Mexico-Canada’s united bid for 2026 World Cup.
    Opened ANWR and approved Keystone XL and Dakota Access Pipelines.
    Record number of regulations eliminated.
    Enacted regulatory relief for community banks and credit unions.
    Obamacare individual mandate penalty GONE.
    My Administration is providing more affordable healthcare options for Americans through association health plans and short-term duration plans.
    Last month, the FDA approved more affordable generic drugs than ever before in history. And thanks to our efforts, many drug companies are freezing or reversing planned price increases.
    We reformed the Medicare program to stop hospitals from overcharging low-income seniors on their drugs—saving seniors hundreds of millions of dollars this year alone.
    Signed Right-To-Try legislation.
    Secured $6 billion in NEW funding to fight the opioid epidemic.
    We have reduced high-dose opioid prescriptions by 16 percent during my first year in office.
    Signed VA Choice Act and VA Accountability Act, expanded VA telehealth services, walk-in-clinics, and same-day urgent primary and mental health care.
    Increased our coal exports by 60 percent; U.S. oil production recently reached all-time high.
    United States is a net natural gas exporter for the first time since 1957.
    Withdrew the United States from the job-killing Paris Climate Accord.
    Cancelled the illegal, anti-coal, so-called Clean Power Plan.
    Secured record $700 billion in military funding; $716 billion next year.
    NATO allies are spending $69 billion more on defense since 2016.
    Process has begun to make the Space Force the 6th branch of the Armed Forces.
    Confirmed more circuit court judges than any other new administration.
    Confirmed Supreme Court Justice Neil Gorsuch and nominated Judge Brett Kavanaugh.
    Withdrew from the horrible, one-sided Iran Deal.
    Moved U.S. Embassy to Jerusalem.
    Protecting Americans from terrorists with the Travel Ban, upheld by Supreme Court.
    Issued Executive Order to keep open Guantanamo Bay.
    Concluded a historic U.S.-Mexico Trade Deal to replace NAFTA. And negotiations with Canada are underway as we speak.
    Reached a breakthrough agreement with the E.U. to increase U.S. exports.
    Imposed tariffs on foreign steel and aluminum to protect our national security.
    Imposed tariffs on China in response to China’s forced technology transfer, intellectual property theft, and their chronically abusive trade practices.
    Net exports are on track to increase by $59 billion this year.
    Improved vetting and screening for refugees, and switched focus to overseas resettlement.
    We have begun BUILDING THE WALL. Republicans want STRONG BORDERS and NO CRIME. Democrats want OPEN BORDERS which equals MASSIVE CRIME.

Copied from the White Houses own page.

https://www.whitehouse.gov/trump-administration-accomplishments/

Points invalid!

Points invalid!

How so is it invalid, What have the dims done as that's what's going to count in 2020. Cried and moaned like baby's is their only accomplishment I can see.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,218 ✭✭✭✭duploelabs

How so is it invalid, What have the dims done as that's what's going to count in 2020. Cried and moaned like baby's is their only accomplishment I can see.

It's quite simple, provide independent verification of these claims, otherwise it's just propaganda

Because it’s from the ministry of propaganda. You are welcome.

Ask Moscowmitch about all the dems bill waiting approval.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,074 ✭✭✭relax carry on

You quoted a propaganda outlet. Are there any independent qualified sources of information that back up those claims and attribute them directly to something this Administration has done? If there are then please provide them and they will be rightly praised for doing their jobs.

Hey Pete. Since you seem to be familiar with how House investigations work, perhaps you would be so kind as to point to a few which were completely held in the open.

I've been trying to think of a few going back as far as Benghazi and I can't think of any. All the ones I can think of were closed sessions with the occasional bit of open questioning. Benghazi for example had hundreds of witnesses and only one of those testified in the open.

Hey. Since you are the expert on all things English. I mean you’ve pointed it out twice now in my posts.

You still haven’t answered why I was wrong in using “odd” I looked it up on google, as you so helpfully suggested.

I’ll await your valuable insight.

Points invalid!
    duploelabs wrote: »
    It's quite simple, provide independent verification of these claims, otherwise it's just propaganda
    Because it’s from the ministry of propaganda. You are welcome.

Ask Moscowmitch about all the dems bill waiting approval.
    You quoted a propaganda outlet. Are there any independent qualified sources of information that back up those claims and attribute them directly to something this Administration has done? If there are then please provide them and they will be rightly praised for doing their jobs.

This is what we are dealing with.

How about you guys refute all that is stated with factual evidence?

I would be surprised if you could refute it all with factual evidence.

• Advertisement

duploelabs wrote: »
    it's just propaganda
    Because it’s from the ministry of propaganda.
    You quoted a propaganda outlet.

Jeeze it's like the whole CNN editioral Team is here this morning.

Advertisement