Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cyclists

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,764 ✭✭✭One More Toy

ted1 wrote: »
    A lot is just perceived danger, and not actually dangerous.
    What’s more dangerous is the drivers living sedentary life styles sitting in their cars and suffering from Cornnary heart diseases

Then why do the rsa shove ads down our throats about how much space we need to give them eh?

• Registered Users Posts: 12,665 ✭✭✭✭Ally Dick

Dublin city centre is too crowded for cyclists. They should get the f#ck out

• Registered Users Posts: 23,266 ✭✭✭✭ted1

Then why do the rsa shove ads down our throats about how much space we need to give them eh?

Because not giving space is a dangerous, what you said was cyclists putting themselves in danger. The two are very very different.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,130 ✭✭✭Rodin

Ally Dick wrote: »

And wearing dark clothing with insufficient visibility and breaking red lights.
    Hate them.

• Registered Users Posts: 312 ✭✭Abba987

Abba987 wrote: »

If you don't hold a licence same bans can be given but it wine on an imaginary licence....

So when they apply for learning permit their ban will commence.... 6 months or year etc.

Never knew that.
    But lets say a cyclist running wild causes a fatal crash. Manslaughter ? Has it ever been done?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 24,647 ✭✭✭✭punisher5112

I see some serious dangerous close calls daily in Dublin and yes the roads are too small so honestly don't pass until safe to do so....

I've had cyclists hit me in car and bus and their fault but they will win hands down if they claim and especially if they have a good solicitor

Never knew that.
    But lets say a cyclist running wild causes a fatal crash. Manslaughter ? Has it ever been done?

I can't say but it is something I'm sure could be tried if found they really were to blame.

Look at UK cop shows over the years and we usually following after 10 years or so.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,737 ✭✭✭Yer Da sells Avon

Cars need to get the fuck out of the city centre. Also, on-street parking needs to be banned on all bus routes, thus making it quicker to use public transport, and easier and safer to cycle.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,761 ✭✭✭Pinch Flat

Why do they never wear a helmet or adhere to road signs/traffic lights?

I’m always in awe of people who start these threads. They pose the questions that everyone is afraid to ask. Well done OP.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,665 ✭✭✭✭Ally Dick

You have to watch yourself like a hawk in Dublin city centre. There are cycling maniacs everywhere. It gets worse every year. I have never seen anything like it. The cycle lanes along the canal are very generous, yet many cycles ignore them and cycle on the other side of the road, causing buses etc to have to go around them. Completely inconsiderate lunatics

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 23,266 ✭✭✭✭ted1

cycle on the other side of the road, causing buses etc to have to go around them. Completely inconsiderate lunatics

As oppposed to the individuals driving 15 foot long cars that are 7 feet wide ? Cyclists aren’t the problem in town.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,761 ✭✭✭Pinch Flat

ted1 wrote: »
    As oppposed to the individuals driving 15 foot long cars that are 7 feet wide ? Cyclists aren’t the problem in town.

Dublin drivers are amazing, some of the safest and most considerate in the world. I read somewhere recently that the EU are sending over a delegation to understand how we run a city dominated by 20% full private cars so well.

Pinch Flat wrote: »
    Dublin drivers are amazing, some of the safest and most considerate in the world. I read somewhere recently that the EU are sending over a delegation to understand how we run a city dominated by 20% full private cars so well.

I'd love to meet these....

I drive through the city and have looked for huge improvement but get not answer ...

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 25,306 Mod ✭✭✭✭Podge_irl

Never knew that.

Has a motorist ever been done for manslaughter? They kill about 20000% more people after all.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,272 ✭✭✭AllForIt

If a cyclist runs a red light causing a serious accident what are the penalties ?

Don't know hasn't happened yet.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,277 ✭✭✭Your Face

I think the issue should be reviewed at a government level, hopefully with the outcome of all cyclists being drowned in their own piss.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,676 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

jiltloop wrote: »
    I'm a cyclist sometimes and when I am I stop at lights and wear a helmet. If i decided not to I wouldn't hurt anyone but myself.

And the pedestrian you hit.

And the taxpayers who have to pay for your treatment.

I've had a legally parked car given a couple of thousand euro worth of damage by a cyclist who managed to run in to it. God only know how he didn't kill himself. But he had the cheek to suggest that my insurance should cover the costs, because he didn't have any.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,891 ✭✭✭prinzeugen

Cars need to get the fuck out of the city centre. Also, on-street parking needs to be banned on all bus routes, thus making it quicker to use public transport, and easier and safer to cycle.

You know the "city centre" will not exist then? Look at the UK. Barren wastelands . It is utter bull****.

The same bull**** is being told to people about the bus connects con.

Trees are going to be felled to put in cyclelanes. It has nothing to do with the busses!

Cyclists are a bunch of selfish ****. Its always about them, always on the moral high, always dictating to others about road law when few of them follow it themselves.

Everything is the fault of someone else. Be it roads or accidents. Never the cyclists fault though....

• Registered Users Posts: 1,980 ✭✭✭bilbot79

There should really be cycling bridges built over crossroads etc like connelly bridge. There should be huge investment in keeping cyclists and motorists separated

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,737 ✭✭✭Yer Da sells Avon

prinzeugen wrote: »
    You know the "city centre" will not exist then? Look at the UK. Barren wastelands . It is utter bull****.

The same bull**** is being told to people about the bus connects con.

Trees are going to be felled to put in cyclelanes. It has nothing to do with the busses!

Cyclists are a bunch of selfish ****. Its always about them, always on the moral high, always dictating to others about road law when few of them follow it themselves.

Everything is the fault of someone else. Be it roads or accidents. Never the cyclists fault though....

Thickest post I've seen on Boards in... hours.

Far from 'ceasing to exist' (what a stupid comment), the city centre would be a far nicer place if it wasn't clogged up with cars.

The exact same 'selfishness' generalisation could be made about the thousands of single-occupant vehicles on the streets at any given time - the main differences being that they cause more pollution, kill more people and take up a lot more space than cyclists.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,893 ✭✭✭Canis Lupus

You have to watch yourself like a hawk in Dublin city centre. There are cycling maniacs everywhere. It gets worse every year. I have never seen anything like it. The cycle lanes along the canal are very generous, yet many cycles ignore them and cycle on the other side of the road, causing buses etc to have to go around them. Completely inconsiderate lunatics

Have you seen the people driving vehicles. They're even worse and they had to have lessons and pass a test before being let loose on the roads..

• Registered Users Posts: 18,064 ✭✭✭✭namloc1980

The people watching YouTube on their phones while in control of 2 tonnes of metal are the real danger on our roads.

• Registered Users Posts: 968 ✭✭✭railer201

namloc1980 wrote: »
    The people watching YouTube on their phones while in control of 2 tonnes of metal are the real danger on our roads.

Some cyclists do the same, no hands on the handlebars, ear phones in - txting or whatever, presenting a real danger to themselves. The roads are dangerous enough as it is for experienced cyclists - there are some very dodgy motorists out there.

• Registered Users Posts: 968 ✭✭✭railer201

If a cyclist runs a red light causing a serious accident what are the penalties ?

The cyclist might lose his or her life or be seriously injured, some of us do obey the lights but frankly not enough cyclists do !

• Registered Users Posts: 18,064 ✭✭✭✭namloc1980

You can point to every group of road users for inappropriate behaviour. Cyclists breaking reds, motorists breaking reds etc. However the muppets who think the amber light means speed up and fly through a junction should get an immediate suspension of their license.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 3,916 Mod ✭✭✭✭Planet X

But shure.......must be made up....

"87% of people breaking red lights are driving vehicles"

http://www.stickybottle.com/latest-news/cameras-benburb-blackhall-luas-red-lights/

• Registered Users Posts: 5,875 ✭✭✭Edgware

Green light. Go
    Red light. Stop
    Amber light. Boot to the floor

• Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 75,308 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

Why do they never wear a helmet or adhere to road signs/traffic lights?

When did you last see me on a bike not wearing a helmet, or breaking road traffic rules when on a bike?

I will admit to breaking the speed limit when driving, but I am always very careful when cycling (and I've cycled perhaps 50,000km over the past decade). Most of the cyclists I know personally (probably 200+) adopt the same behaviours when cycling. Not all of them, but a very large proportion. Probably a larger proportion that obey road traffic legislation when driving motorised vehicles

Everyone should be able to insure themselves like children can in schools.

They give out forms where you can insure the child for school hours for €6 or 24hours every day for €9.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,775 ✭✭✭PowerToWait

These threads always draw out the people most bereft of logic or critical thought.

Leaving aside the possibility of trolling, the comments belie a severe lack of intelligence.

Dublin is too crowded so cyclists should be banned is cretin gold. I’ve had to drive in Amsterdam where there are hundreds or possibly thousands of times the amount of cyclists in tiny narrow streets. I was just very careful indeed. Then dropped the car at the super cheap park and ride facility and took the tram back into the centre.

The advantages and benefits of cycling in urban areas are huge, but prying Paddy out of his status symbol will be next to impossible.

Advertisement