Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Brexit discussion thread XI (Please read OP before posting)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 39,440 ✭✭✭✭Itssoeasy

No. You watching Philip Hammond too?
    What has the former chancellor(is it chancellor or AG he was) said now ? I know the speaker of the US House of Representatives and several congressmen have said they won't if the GFA is messed with.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,453 ✭✭✭✭Kermit.de.frog

Isn't he just highlighting the legal situation

Well yeah and nay.

It's simple to just pass accompanying legislation with the WA to deal with that issue.

They just want to make it awkward as possible.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,359 ✭✭✭✭Professor Moriarty

Itssoeasy wrote: »
    What has the former chancellor(is it chancellor or AG he was) said now ? I know the speaker of the US House of Representatives and several congressmen have said they won't if the GFA is messed with.

Chancellor. He said that Trump doesn't have any power over trade deals - it's down to Congress. Didn't mention GFA but spoke about chlorinated chicken and beef hormones. Good interview with Murnaghan on Sky.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,573 ✭✭✭Infini

Remainers trying to use a deal for NI to their own ends.

https://twitter.com/JolyonMaugham/status/1184530380004691969

Before it was the Brexiteers trying to screw the island up, now it's desperate remainers.

Honestly the whole situation wont be resolved until this vs remain is put to a 2nd vote. The Brexiteers can whinge all they want, they can't leave with no deal they'll be destroyed, they can only leave under a deal that will be to their disadvantage no matter how much they cry so the only option to diffuse this is the referendum between the deal or remain.

Nothing is going to pass parliment unless it has a way of moving things foward and Boris expecially has no way of getting an election so long as the gun is pointed at the UK's head.

• Registered Users Posts: 39,440 ✭✭✭✭Itssoeasy

Chancellor. He said that Trump doesn't have any power over trade deals - it's down to Congress. Didn't mention GFA but spoke about chlorinated chicken and beef hormones. Good interview with Murnaghan on Sky.

Okay but that's hardly breaking news that trade deals are what congress do. Btw, it was Dominic grieve I was thinking about as a former AG. I think him and Phillip Hammond look alive kind of.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,359 ✭✭✭✭Professor Moriarty

Itssoeasy wrote: »
    Okay but that's hardly breaking news that trade deals are what congress do. Btw, it was Dominic grieve I was thinking about as a former AG. I think him and Phillip Hammond look alive kind of.

They do. Easy to mix them up.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,970 ✭✭✭✭A Dub in Glasgo

Well yeah and nay.

It's simple to just pass accompanying legislation with the WA to deal with that issue.

He is a QC (a remainer one yes) and does not sit in parliament so he has no say

• Registered Users, Subscribers Posts: 5,797 ✭✭✭hometruths

Well yeah and nay.

One of the commenters makes a good point:

https://twitter.com/TychoNestoris1/status/1184540574155788288

This is a bit ridiculous, he wants to ask for an injunction against the Withdrawal Agreement on the grounds it contravenes some law, and he intends to do it before the detail of the Withdrawal Agreement has been published!! It's an insane stance from an eminent barrister!!

We don't even know if the EU will agree to this WA yet!

Seems to be no accurate consensus of the current state of play if you look at what the journos and their sources are saying. Tony Connelly & RTE seem the most optimistic, claiming the DUP have signed up to a consent proposal (whatever it is). But most British sources saying no deal tonight, plus DUP not signed up yet.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 517 ✭✭✭Varta

threeball wrote: »
    All fine and well dealing with reasonable people but they have shown that they consider themselves immune to damage from the EU by the very fact they're happy to carry out a hard brexit.

I think you have a problem seeing the wood for the trees. Let me guide you: The UK, a fragmenting ex-colonial power, riven with internal strife and facing into pending economic disaster, stepping out from the EU and going it alone - versus - the most powerful economic and political coalition that the world has ever seen.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,062 ✭✭✭davedanon

https://www.bbc.com/news/uk-politics-50072748

No deal tonight, says UK govt. source.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 11,084 Mod ✭✭✭✭igCorcaigh

Oh lol!

Sky news have launched their own Brexit free news channel.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,119 ✭✭✭✭Water John

Maugham is simply using a law that was put in place by JRM.
    Totally entitled to do so. They have to remove the law or overide it with a new one.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,003 ✭✭✭✭Strazdas

Seems to be no accurate consensus of the current state of play if you look at what the journos and their sources are saying. Tony Connelly & RTE seem the most optimistic, claiming the DUP have signed up to a consent proposal (whatever it is). But most British sources saying no deal tonight, plus DUP not signed up yet.

I would say the signs are not overly encouraging. Talks getting bogged down suggests a lot of division on the UK side.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,435 ✭✭✭Imreoir2

Water John wrote: »
    Totally entitled to do so. They have to remove the law or overide it with a new one.

Which one assumes the government would do as part of the legislative package surrounding the deal. Its not like this is the first time the deal as agreed would require an amendment to some other peice of legislation. Seems like a road to nowhere to try to prevent a deal being put before parliament on that basis.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,970 ✭✭✭✭A Dub in Glasgo

Could that be the ruse Johnson and co were planning to use? Bring back an illegal deal, get it passed in parliament and no extension. The AG then declares the WA is not legal and UK crash out on 31 Oct

https://twitter.com/JolyonMaugham/status/1184531668507545600

• Registered Users Posts: 7,930 ✭✭✭threeball

Varta wrote: »
    I think you have a problem seeing the wood for the trees. Let me guide you: The UK, a fragmenting ex-colonial power, riven with internal strife and facing into pending economic disaster, stepping out from the EU and going it alone - versus - the most powerful economic and political coalition that the world has ever seen.

Are you serious. Isn't that what a hard brexit is? Actually that's what any brexit is. I think you need to brush up on what's happening here besides claiming to educate me.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,219 ✭✭✭Nate--IRL--

Would it be too much tinfoil hattery to suggest T. Connelly is being used by the EU to sow division in the UK side? I get the impression that the optimism being exuded from the EU side is slightly disingenuous, as they are well aware how fragile a coalition of the unwilling the UK side is. If the wheels come off, it will likely be because the UK side disintegrates, the EU making very very clear, now, they are not the issue with a failure.

Nate

• Registered Users Posts: 8,229 ✭✭✭LeinsterDub

Much like Mayo in an All Ireland final I'll not get my hopes up. The odds are something will go wrong with this before Sunday.

• Registered Users, Subscribers Posts: 5,797 ✭✭✭hometruths

Water John wrote: »

Agree he is totally entitled to do it. But clearly if there are enough numbers to pass this WA, then there are enough to overturn Section 55.

My point is that by taking this course of action in the courts at all, never mind launching it before the detail of the agreement is even published he is providing gold plated ammunition to the "Pesky remainers are trying to frustrate the will of the people, give me a majority to sort it out" argument.

No doubt people who are remain fanatics will back him to the hilt and think it is a tremendous plan, and equally die hard leavers will curse him to eternity but the important audience are those who are somewhere in the middle.

I suspect they will think what an ar$ehole.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,148 ✭✭✭✭Hurrache

Before it was the Brexiteers trying to screw the island up, now it's desperate remainers.

It's infuriating. Highly ironic if Mogg wants the deal but is prevented in doing so by Mogg of a different time.

I guess the simplest solution though is to repeal his law as part of the whole process in having parliament vote to approve it, or not.

Would it be too much tinfoil hattery to suggest T. Connoly is being used by the EU to sow division in the UK side? I get the impression that the optimism being exuded from the EU side is slightly disingenuous, as they are well aware how fragile a coalition of the unwilling the UK side is. If the wheels come off, it will likely be because the UK side disintegrates, the EU making very very clear, now, they are not the issue with a failure.

Nate

It's Connelly.

Deva.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,697 ✭✭✭CelticRambler

igCorcaigh wrote: »
    Sky news have launched their own Brexit free news channel.
    I only watch Sky for the Brexit news! Couldn't care less about Bulgarians howling at the English, or some American woman being witch-hunted by a grieving family ...

Imreoir2 wrote: »
    Which one assumes the government would do as part of the legislative package surrounding the deal. Its not like this is the first time the deal as agreed would require an amendment to some other peice of legislation. Seems like a road to nowhere to try to prevent a deal being put before parliament on that basis.

My reading of the legal action was that it would be a measure that guaranteed the Benn Act would come into force, i.e. that Johnson couldn't simply drop this new deal in front of the HoC on Saturday and say "take it or leave it" - that in and of itself, it would be an unlawful proposal unless and until the relevant legislation was amended - and there's no way the government could get that done until at least the following week, i.e. after the Benn Act deadline.

The hearing was being requested for Friday, so the text of the new WA should have been published by then.

It's all part of taking back control, innit? :D

And I would suspect Tony is far too wily for that. I'm sure he was on the money, it's just the DUP gonna DUP innit.

some American woman being witch-hunted by a grieving family ...

Nice. Well done.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,246 ✭✭✭✭Dyr

davedanon wrote: »
    And I would suspect Tony is far too wily for that. I'm sure he was on the money, it's just the DUP gonna DUP innit.

The DUP are canny horse traders they'll get a big f**k off bag of money, the stormont assembly back up and running, possibly the chance to reverse the NI backstop every four years AND not be responsible for the f****king the NI economy over a cliff

Not a bad bus for them to be thrown under at the end of the day

• Registered Users Posts: 15,282 ✭✭✭✭Beechwoodspark

So why is self described Brexit hard man Baker so positive towards this? Hard not to be suspicious

Latest tweet from RTE's Micheal Lehane. No deal tonight I reckon.

https://twitter.com/MichealLehane/status/1184556607730008069?s=20

• Registered Users Posts: 53,853 ✭✭✭✭Headshot

So why is self described Brexit hard man Baker so positive towards this? Hard not to be suspicious

You could say it's deal or no Brexit

• Advertisement

Bambi wrote: »
    The DUP are canny horse traders they'll get a big f**k off bag of money, the stormont assembly back up and running, possibly the chance to reverse the NI backstop every four years AND not be responsible for the f****king the NI economy over a cliff

Not a bad bus for them to be thrown under at the end of the day

There's a triumph for optimism and no mistake. I'd give them the first; the rest, meh. If they were really canny operators, they wouldn't have ****canned May's deal. Best of both UK/EU worlds. Idiots.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement