Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Brexit discussion thread XI (Please read OP before posting)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 67,394 ✭✭✭✭FrancieBrady

From listening to Foster there it doesn't sound like she's in the loop. Guess we'll find out shortly.

I got the feeling that she was reverting to DUP without any power. Just keep up the high moral ground pretense and ignore any pertinent questions about past behaviour. Stock DUP politics tbh.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,190 ✭✭✭Widdensushi

Looks like she's anxious to get power sharing back up and running for some reason :)

exactly, she is going to try and block the deal another way, saying there has be agreement on the border issue by unionists according to the gfa.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,023 ✭✭✭✭Joe_ Public

gooch2k9 wrote: »
    Say the UK government agree a deal with the EU. The EU sign off on their side at the council. Then the HOC come along and block it. They'd have some neck requesting an extension at that point. The EU could agree a hundred different deals and never get them past the HOC.

But as per the Benn Act, that's what's already been set out to be done. It's a fair point, though, what will the EU think if or when another deal fails to be passed. I think most of the EU are still solidly behind a remain viewpoint, but that's by no means all and it could lead to some clear divisions emerging.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,232 ✭✭✭tanko

jprender wrote: »
    DUP are going to be sidelined here.

Arlene on BBC1 now, completely deluded as usual.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,603 ✭✭✭Enzokk

Johnson should get eaten alive in the Commons if he brings this deal for a vote,

https://twitter.com/owen_g/status/1184130117435641857?s=20

Not only did May reject it but he himself called it the biggest humiliation since the Suez Canal for Britain. Farage will use this against him and he will still not get the Brexit Party vote in a election, if the deal is anything like the WA May negotiated.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,117 ✭✭✭✭Junkyard Tom

Looks like she's anxious to get power sharing back up and running for some reason :)

It's hilarious. If your only political negotiating tactic is to block everything, like an obstruction in a river, eventually it will flow around you.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,934 ✭✭✭circadian

Yeah the DUP are firefighting now. Between changes on 21st and potentially being sidelined here they're going to look pretty stupid to their base if both of these things come to fruition.

• Registered Users Posts: 803 ✭✭✭woohoo!!!

Say there's a deal agreed and it goes to HoC and gets voted down, I think there's very little prospect of the EU27 agreeing to another extension. Johnson is betting on it.

• Registered Users Posts: 45,552 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Nice Guy

Arlene just been grilled on BBC NI and it doesn't sound like they're on board with an agreement. She was also not keen on the idea of a referendum on any deal. Also couldn't give a yes or no answer either on whether she trusted Johnson.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭is_that_so

J Mysterio wrote: »
    I would think, i presume.
    And another 11 characters wouldn't kill him?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 399 ✭✭sliabh 1956

Amazing how Aerlene came across as almost pleasant in that interview she looks deflated just like Paisley jnr last night forgive me for smiling and thinking good enough for you and your fellow DUPs Id say Mr Harris is over come with grief at the way his beloved Unionists have been so badly treated no doubt he wiil blame Covney for this outrage

• Registered Users Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭is_that_so

Arlene just been grilled on BBC NI and it doesn't sound like they're on board with an agreement. She was also not keen on the idea of a referendum on any deal. Also couldn't give a yes or no answer either on whether she trusted Johnson.
    Arlene is not keen sums up almost anything the DUP have to say.

woohoo!!! wrote: »
    Say there's a deal agreed and it goes to HoC and gets voted down, I think there's very little prospect of the EU27 agreeing to another extension. Johnson is betting on it.

Wouldnt rule that out for sure. But i'd still be amazed if the EU didn't agree to the extension, i'm certain they will. They're not so slow in Europe to realise that the deal they're concluding probably isn't going to be ratified by the HoC, i dont know how much difference it makes to them at this stage. I think the EU will want to see at least a GE or, possibly, a second vote before burning those bridges.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,648 ✭✭✭gooch2k9

But as per the Benn Act, that's what's already been set out to be done. It's a fair point, though, what will the EU think if or when another deal fails to be passed. I think most of the EU are still solidly behind a remain viewpoint, but that's by no means all and it could lead to some clear divisions emerging.

I just got the impression the Benn Act intended to force Johnson to ask for an extension if he carried on arsing about for a no deal right up until the end. Having an actual deal on the table muddles matters a bit there.

As much as the EU would rather the UK stayed(minus Farage's contingent in the EU parliament I'd wager), they can't go on negotiating for years about this. It's holding up a lot of more important things resources could be assigned to. I wouldn't be shocked to hear a few nations push back against any extension if that looked like happening.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,582 ✭✭✭✭briany

lawred2 wrote: »
    I think the vast majority were always okay with the border in the Irish sea.

TM should have faced down the DUP, put the border in the Irish sea to a parliamentary vote and then publicly asked the DUP to accept the will of the parliament which they claim to hold so dear.

Her mistake was to never test parliament with it.

I could see May's logic in how she dealt with the DUP. Trouble is that it was that twisted logic which placed the party above all else. Pulling the ripcord on the DUP meant a minority government and it also meant that just about any piece of government legislation was on thin ice. I remember the DUP threatening to vote against the government's budget proposals last year unless they were kept sweet.

The advantage that Johnson has is that he's looking at a much shorter window of minority government whereas May was looking down the barrel of 18 months of defeat and humiliation if the DUP walked away. And Johnson's already got a minority with or without the DUP, so he's in a much better position to tell them to F-off.

That said, the DUP know they still hold the potential balance of power in parliament. The only thing is that they may mis-estimate how willing the government and opposition are willing to work together if and when things come to a head, and they'll be left screaming "No! No! Nooooooooooo!" as they're judiciously cast aside.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,573 ✭✭✭Infini

As another poster once said, if the DUP dont like it, that means its acceptable to everyone else. The difference now is that karma has come home to roost, the assembly wont be back before next week as it will suit SF to get something that people want by default (SSM + equal abortion with UK and IRL) and to put the boot in that it was arlene and co who brought it about and the DUP have outlived their usefulness and will be thrown under the bus where they belong.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 345 ✭✭Tea Shock

L1011 wrote: »
    So the ERG are throwing the DUP under the bus, as you vehemently denied was ever going to happen a few days ago...

I think you must be confusing me with someone else!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,686 ✭✭✭maebee

It won't get many viewers from this thread :)

• Registered Users Posts: 8,229 ✭✭✭LeinsterDub

Does anyone give any credence to the theory that Johnson has no intention of honoring the deal and he's willing to do anything to get around the Benn Act? The theory goes that Johnson gets a deal, any deal and it get approved by the HoC as such the Benn Act has been satisfied. He then basically does nothing to enact the laws required for the deal to enter force until the 31st and the UK just crashes out.

Does anyone give any credence to the theory that Johnson has no intention of honoring the deal and he's willing to do anything to get around the Benn Act? The theory goes that Johnson gets a deal, any deal and it get approved by the HoC as such the Benn Act has been satisfied. He then basically does nothing to enact the laws required for the deal to enter force until the 31st and the UK just crashes out.

It was occurring to me and there is absolutely credence in that!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,035 ✭✭✭✭J Mysterio

Enzokk wrote: »
    Johnson should get eaten alive in the Commons if he brings this deal for a vote,

https://twitter.com/owen_g/status/1184130117435641857?s=20

Not only did May reject it but he himself called it the biggest humiliation since the Suez Canal for Britain. Farage will use this against him and he will still not get the Brexit Party vote in a election, if the deal is anything like the WA May negotiated.

Seems to me it's basically the exact same deal May negotiated. Obviously we have to hear more detail, but the hypocrisy is unreal. The most amazing thing is that the ERG etc seem to be rowing in behind it.

Seems to me it's basically the exact same deal May negotiated. Obviously we have to hear more detail, but the hypocrisy is unreal. The most amazing thing is that the ERG etc seem to be rowing in behind it.

NI only was never voted on though? May backed down on that one and pushed for all of UK which ERG were against. Between that and them running out of opportunities to get Brexit done I can understand the change.

Not sure how much I read into Rudd's sexism point of view. I think were May in Johnson's position now the ERG would back her.

• Registered Users Posts: 68,059 ✭✭✭✭L1011

Tea Shock wrote: »
    I think you must be confusing me with someone else!

Apologies, it was Mr.Nice Guy.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,035 ✭✭✭✭J Mysterio

NI only was never voted on though? May backed down on that one and pushed for all of UK which ERG were against. Between that and them running out of opportunities to get Brexit done I can understand the change.

Not sure how much I read into Rudd's sexism point of view. I think were May in Johnson's position now the ERG would back her.

But seems like it's just like the original ('unacceptable') Backstop with another name. Pretty sure I recall Hardman Steve Baker, Francois, etc. saying they would not vote for the WA even with the backstop removed?

Something something Gatt 24 paragraph 2B.

But seems like it's just like the original ('unacceptable') Backstop with another name. Pretty sure I recall Hardman Steve Baker, Francois, etc. saying they would not vote for the WA even with the backstop removed?

Something something Gatt 25 article 2 paragraph B.

I always thought that was the whole UK backstop, maybe I'm wrong. You are right that they said that though. Probably just bluster like "dead in a ditch".

Where did the Brexit hard man title come from? It's brilliant, himself and Barclay. Two hard men.

• Registered Users Posts: 45,552 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Nice Guy

L1011 wrote: »
    So the ERG are throwing the DUP under the bus, as you vehemently denied was ever going to happen a few days ago...

I doubted that all of the ERG would throw them under the bus, which was what you predicted. And I'd still be doubtful about it. Let's see if that happens.

Something something Gatt 25 article 2 paragraph B.

Francois actually put a number on the ERG members who would vote down the WA if the backstop was entirely removed.

He said 60.

It's like they have forgotten EVERYTHING else that was in it!

I am not trusting these cowboys one bit! Not as far as I'd throw them. Including Johnson - no, especially Johnson!

If the DUP start acting all reasonable after their meeting in #10 tonight, that'll be it for me. It will be confirmation that they are pulling a fast one! Them acting furious wouldn't ease my mind at all though!

• Registered Users Posts: 23,564 ✭✭✭✭Kermit.de.frog

ERG waiting for the legal text before making a decision

https://twitter.com/MarkerJParker/status/1184166377340444672

• Registered Users Posts: 15,914 ✭✭✭✭Spanish Eyes

Arlene will go with anything if the Cash for Ash investigation is dropped. Doh. There are ways and means. Probably involving another lot of dosh.

Oh and there is the introduction of SSM and abortion looming if they do not reconvene the Assembly very soon. Rock and hard place methinks.

• Advertisement

I just got the impression the Benn Act intended to force Johnson to ask for an extension if he carried on arsing about for a no deal right up until the end. Having an actual deal on the table muddles matters a bit there.

As much as the EU would rather the UK stayed(minus Farage's contingent in the EU parliament I'd wager), they can't go on negotiating for years about this. It's holding up a lot of more important things resources could be assigned to. I wouldn't be shocked to hear a few nations push back against any extension if that looked like happening.

The Benn Act states clearly that if a deal isn't passed through the House by the 19th, he has to seek the extension. Whether that's actually carried through with remains to be seen, but it is law for all that's worth.

I'm not sure how much the EU are bothered by the farage contingent to be honest, they're not even the biggest anti-EU nuisance in the parliament as i think there's a bigger italian right wing block there. They can make a lot of noise but without getting into important positions, not sure what damage they can do. Can definitely see a few European heads getting seriously whacked off with the whole thing all the same, but not sure it's enough to see them pushing back against an extension. If anything, i'd see them in favour of a longer extension than the one proposed by the Benn Act.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement