Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Brexit discussion thread XI (Please read OP before posting)

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 14,494 Mod ✭✭✭✭johnnyskeleton

54and56 wrote: »
    Farage on LBC at 18:00 (https://www.lbc.co.uk/radio/presenters/nigel-farage) should be well worth a listen. He will be hearing whispers from Brussels and won't be mincing his words on how it's going to be a sell out, a reheated version of May's surrender treaty etc etc

The fact that one knows exactly what hes going to say shows just how useless and predetermined his "whispers" are.

In his defense, he is extremely polite, has a quick wit and a great speakig voice. But the buzz words like treaty and surrender are pure propaganda, and its hard to see how he intends anything other than rabble rousing.

So is there any point listening to him?

• Registered Users Posts: 45,558 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Nice Guy

Update from Tony Connelly:

https://twitter.com/tconnellyRTE/status/1184150577615429634

The DUP response to this will be fascinating. I'd be surprised if they are on board.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,062 ✭✭✭davedanon

Without going back to check the protocols, my opinion on the ..... little .....faced ..... would earn me another yellow card. So I'll keep schtum.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,315 ✭✭✭✭lawred2

trellheim wrote: »
    No the May deal was the all-UK backstop . NI backstop was never voted on as the DUP got the hump over it.

so..... the fun will be in the wording.

The original May deal before the flight of the loyal Ulster brigade was the NI only customs Union and regulatory alignment.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,062 ✭✭✭davedanon

Farage is the more softly-spoken, urbane, sort-of-reasonable-sounding face of fascist intolerance. Him and the likes of Brendan O'Neill from spiked.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 21,262 ✭✭✭✭Water John

Farage would have a sort of likeability factor, despite the reality of what he stands for, O Neill has no redeeming feature, irritating gosh1te.

Yes looks like TM's No 1 Deal, pathetic however they spin it.

• Registered Users Posts: 68,129 ✭✭✭✭FrancieBrady

Update from Tony Connelly:

https://twitter.com/tconnellyRTE/status/1184150577615429634

The DUP response to this will be fascinating. I'd be surprised if they are on board.

I said it earlier that Paisley looked completely deflated on Claire Daly last night and looked like he had come out of a massive row.

They got told last night in No. 10 what was going down.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,168 ✭✭✭funkey_monkey

Water John wrote: »
    So 310 on each side outside of DUP.
    More than 5 Lb sign up for the Deal and DUP don't matter.

We'll all be ignoring that it's probably worse than TM's Deal.

Which way are you counting Grieve, Clarke etc?

• Registered Users Posts: 24,315 ✭✭✭✭lawred2

If the UK have capitulated on the border in the Irish Sea then why wouldn't there be a 'deal'?
    The EU are fine with that.

I think the vast majority were always okay with the border in the Irish sea.

TM should have faced down the DUP, put the border in the Irish sea to a parliamentary vote and then publicly asked the DUP to accept the will of the parliament which they claim to hold so dear.

Her mistake was to never test parliament with it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,648 ✭✭✭gooch2k9

I said it earlier that Paisley looked completely deflated on Claire Daly last night and looked like he had come out of a massive row.

Would they not have been more vocal about it in that case?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 21,262 ✭✭✭✭Water John

They'll support a Deal IWT. I'm not over worried about the UK, just no nonsense on this island.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭is_that_so

IWT?

• Registered Users Posts: 23,607 ✭✭✭✭Kermit.de.frog

I said it earlier that Paisley looked completely deflated on Claire Daly

Everyone looks deflated when they are talking to Claire Daly with life generally.

gooch2k9 wrote: »
    Would they not have been more vocal about it in that case?

Waiting until it's announced I presume and lobbying support in HoC.

Paisley was slipping into the Never Never talk last night, never once mentioned a positive from the 'meeting'.

Man the wires...the objections will come if this comes to pass.

Arlene is going to be on RTE News shortly. Should be good.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,897 ✭✭✭trellheim

Level playing field .... if thats not in there the rest of the EU will get the hump I wonder what was traded... I suppose we will find out in a few hours

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,829 ✭✭✭Cork Boy 53

You mean Claire Byrne.

Arlene is going to be on RTE News shortly. Should be good.

Will she be in denial or simply rejecting the proposals?

Needs a brave face because there is no other way to look at it other than they are being shafted by BJ.

You mean Claire Byrne.

oops...Yes.

Arlene Foster in Downing Street this evening

https://twitter.com/PoliReview/status/1184158054352375808

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,386 ✭✭✭jprender

DUP are going to be sidelined here.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,897 ✭✭✭trellheim

With the DUP he still does not have a majority. If there is a deal then it will be rebels to get it over the line

From listening to Foster there it doesn't sound like she's in the loop. Guess we'll find out shortly.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,035 ✭✭✭✭J Mysterio

is_that_so wrote: »
    IWT?

I would think, i presume.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,648 ✭✭✭gooch2k9

Say the UK government agree a deal with the EU. The EU sign off on their side at the council. Then the HOC come along and block it. They'd have some neck requesting an extension at that point. The EU could agree a hundred different deals and never get them past the HOC.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,524 ✭✭✭SeaBreezes

Tea Shock wrote: »
    The French are reportedly getting antsy that things are feeling a bit too rushed and worried that the insistence of level playing field protection in environmental, social and fiscal rules may be compromised with Johnson's government not committing to it the way Teresa may's did. One apparent suggestion is that the EU could go very heavy on tariffs of UK exports if they step out of line but how to square that with GB exports to Northern Ireland if the latter are in the EU customs Union is the hurdle.

True. Plus the UK has form in agreeing to implement laws and 'forgetting' ..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,456 ✭✭✭The high horse brigade

From listening to Foster there it doesn't sound like she's in the loop. Guess we'll find out shortly.

Looks like she's anxious to get power sharing back up and running for some reason :)

• Registered Users Posts: 68,499 ✭✭✭✭L1011

Tea Shock wrote: »
    ITV reporting that Steve Baker (ERG chairman) is saying the ERG are on board with the deal being discussed.

I'll eat my hat if there's a deal!
    Although I'll have to buy one first!

So the ERG are throwing the DUP under the bus, as you vehemently denied was ever going to happen a few days ago...

• Registered Users Posts: 10,117 ✭✭✭✭Junkyard Tom

Arlene's trying to shoehorn the GFA's 'principle of consent' (read: unionst veto) into accepting any Withdrawal Agreement.

It's sickening watching the DUP trying to shield themselves from international realpolitik by cowering in behind the GFA they so desperately tried to destroy.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,035 ✭✭✭✭J Mysterio

Quite remarkable...

https://twitter.com/ashstronge/status/1184124537337761798

Never has Britian taken such an interest!

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement