Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Netflix Recommendations Thread 3.0

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,095 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

Important clarification to this list: on a rewatch, I have upgraded Porco Rosso to 'mere' masterpiece :)

• Registered Users Posts: 19,545 ✭✭✭✭Osmosis Jones

Just watched The Platform and thought it was pretty great actually, the ending is nothing special but I don't think it's anything to get frustrated over either. The movie's commentary is extremely on the nose but in a time where people can't even figure out what Parasite is trying to say maybe that's necessary :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,305 ✭✭✭quazzy

Hi all,

Just wondering if someone would recommend some good cooking programs for kids (primary school). We've found ourselves baking a lot more recently due to the circumstance we're all in and they've already burned through Sugar Rush and Nailed It - when I started Great British Bake Off only a few days ago I thought, great - a change from the US cupcake and buttercream format. But after watching one episode it has since vanished from Netflix.

While I'm here, I suppose I should give back to the thread.

Started watching Season 3 of Ozark. Enjoying it so far - seems less messy that last season which went (in my opinion) a bit mental.

Stay safe all.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,563 ✭✭✭✭peteeeed

Just watched The Platform and thought it was pretty great actually, the ending is nothing special but I don't think it's anything to get frustrated over either. The movie's commentary is extremely on the nose but in a time where people can't even figure out what Parasite is trying to say maybe that's necessary :pac:

i enjoyed it , great concept , i have read the director is saying
    the ending is open to interpretation but for me it screams 'sequel'

Money Heist: Part 4
    Netflix’s hit Spanish thriller returns for another bout of twisting, turning heist plotting.

Money Heist: The Phenomenon
    A documentary on why and how "Money Heist" sparked a wave of enthusiasm around the world for a lovable group of thieves and their professor.

Coffee & Kareem
    In the raunchy, buddy-cop comedy Coffee & Kareem, twelve-year-old Kareem Manning hires a criminal to scare his mom’s new boyfriend — police officer James Coffee — but it backfires, forcing Coffee and Kareem to team up in order to save themselves from Detroit’s most ruthless drug kingpin. Ed Helms and Taraji P. Henson star in this new film from the director of Goon.

Spirit Riding Free: Riding Academy Part 1
    A new chapter begins for Lucky and her friends as they leave Miradero behind to live and learn at the prestigious Palomino Bluffs Riding Academy.

Starbeam: Season 1
    Stopping trouble with bubbles, it’s always time for Zoey to shine when she turns into StarBeam the superhero.

added

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,691 ✭✭✭✭Electric Nitwit

quazzy wrote: »
    Hi all,

Just wondering if someone would recommend some good cooking programs for kids (primary school). We've found ourselves baking a lot more recently due to the circumstance we're all in and they've already burned through Sugar Rush and Nailed It - when I started Great British Bake Off only a few days ago I thought, great - a change from the US cupcake and buttercream format. But after watching one episode it has since vanished from Netflix.

All4 app ;)

It's free.

30 episodes of Bake Off
    15 Celebrity Bake Offs
    6 Christmas Bake Offs
    20 Professional Bake Offs
    ...and...
    15 Junior Bake Offs

Should keep you going for a few more days :p

• Registered Users Posts: 10,012 ✭✭✭✭Caranica

quazzy wrote: »
    Hi all,

Bake Off left at the end of March. I only know as I was binge watching it and got a notification. Zumbo's Just Desserts is the only other baking one I can think of, kids should love it as some of the bakes are absolutely stunning.

Also on The Platform:
    The smaller story of the mother who travels down through every floor every single month to find and protect her daughter before having to do it all over again is really compelling.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,305 ✭✭✭quazzy

Thanks for the baking show tips - hadn't considered the All 4 Service.

Kids found Zumbo already and are getting into it too.

thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 1,886 ✭✭✭megaten

Important clarification to this list: on a rewatch, I have upgraded Porco Rosso to 'mere' masterpiece :)
    Proco Rosso is so great. I think it was in the doc Kingdoms of Dreams and Madness Miyazaki described Proco Rosso as his worst film because of how its a 'selfish' film in a way and not whats expected of him but I love how incredibly indulgent it is.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,913 ✭✭✭✭Tom Mann Centuria

Few years ago old now but A Grand Night In is a nice little light documentary about Aardman Animation.

They're still making mostly great films.

Oh well, give me an easy life and a peaceful death.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,726 ✭✭✭✭Charlie19

Watched Coffee and Kareem and while the one of the main characters is only 13, do not attempt to watch this with any children.

I can't remember the last film I watched with so much bad language in it.

Charlie19 wrote: »
    Watched Coffee and Kareem and while the one of the main characters is only 13, do not attempt to watch this with any children.

I can't remember the last film I watched with so much bad language in it.

Sounds like a recommendation 😊

• Registered Users Posts: 11,726 ✭✭✭✭Charlie19

peteeeed wrote: »
    Sounds like a recommendation 😊

It's dumb as **** but I still found some of it funny.

Oh Netflix

Contagion
    Me and Earl and the dying girl
    Added ��

• Registered Users Posts: 3,825 ✭✭✭budgemook

peteeeed wrote: »
    Oh Netflix

Contagion
    Me and Earl and the dying girl
    Added ��

Definitely watching Contagion this weekend.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 35,941 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

budgemook wrote: »
    Definitely watching Contagion this weekend.

Jesus, why would you even want to? This site is anxiety inducing enough as it is, why seek more of that kinda thing :D

• Registered Users Posts: 43,774 ✭✭✭✭Basq

pixelburp wrote: »
    Jesus, why would you even want to? This site is anxiety inducing enough as it is, why seek more of that kinda thing :D
    ITV2 had it on a week or so back.. don't think I could watch it.

Don't get me wrong.. I don't think it's the trainwreck the reviews indicate.. but don't want to start drawing parallels with real-life! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 453 ✭✭Ben Done

Basq wrote: »
    ITV2 had it on a week or so back.. don't think I could watch it.

Don't get me wrong.. I don't think it's the trainwreck the reviews indicate.. but don't want to start drawing parallels with real-life! :D

I watched it a month or so ago - definitely not for anyone feeling overwhelmed by the current events, but I thought it was good - it's a B-Movie, like, but eerie parallels to what's happening..

• Registered Users Posts: 28,804 ✭✭✭✭CastorTroy

Well people watch Christmas movies at Christmas so why not pandemic movies during pandemics. :)

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 23,926 Mod ✭✭✭✭TICKLE_ME_ELMO

CastorTroy wrote: »
    Well people watch Christmas movies at Christmas so why not pandemic movies during pandemics. :)

Wait until Netflix start doing the cheesey Pandemic RomComs :D

• Registered Users Posts: 43,774 ✭✭✭✭Basq

Wait until Netflix start doing the cheesey Pandemic RomComs :D
    "To All The Boys I Loved Before.. Being Infected By Coronavirus".

I'd watch it! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 18,069 ✭✭✭✭fryup

Ben Done wrote: »
    I watched it a month or so ago - definitely not for anyone feeling overwhelmed by the current events, but I thought it was good - it's a B-Movie, like, but eerie parallels to what's happening..

Contagion is not a B-movie, its an excellent production with a stellar cast..i highly recommend it

CastorTroy wrote: »

Mmmmmmm not sure about that one

• Registered Users Posts: 1,565 ✭✭✭Mehaffey1

Halfway through I Think We're Alone Now.

Very easy watch and great acting so far. Another plague movie just getting with the times.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,565 ✭✭✭Mehaffey1

Mehaffey1 wrote: »
    Halfway through I Think We're Alone Now.

Very easy watch and great acting so far. Another plague movie just getting with the times.

Premature post, second half went to the dogs, no idea what was going on

• Registered Users Posts: 8,017 ✭✭✭joeguevara

Watched season 6 of Brooklyn nine nine on Netflix. Disappointed that I forgot I had watched it on television previously but still found it very enjoyable. My disappointment was eased when season 7 is now on tv.

I started watching it again from season 1. It really is one of the best shows. However, one of the earlier episodes shows paralta calling out holt for lying because one side of his mouth dropped. However in the poker episode this was forgotten and holts tell being impossible to see.

Watched season 6 of Brooklyn nine nine on Netflix. Disappointed that I forgot I had watched it on television previously but still found it very enjoyable. My disappointment was eased when season 7 is now on tv.

I started watching it again from season 1. It really is one of the best shows. However, one of the earlier episodes shows paralta calling out holt for lying because one side of his mouth dropped. However in the poker episode this was forgotten and holts tell being impossible to see.

joeguevara wrote: »

Brooklyn 99 has never been one for extreme continuity, I'm still annoyed that Peralta has at different points in the show been both a Nets fan and a Knicks fan :p

• Advertisement

Brooklyn 99 has never been one for extreme continuity, I'm still annoyed that Peralta has at different points in the show been both a Nets fan and a Knicks fan :p

I was impressed that in one of the later series when Hitchcock took off his top he had the tattoo of the gun in his mouth he got in an earlier season unless it’s real.

Advertisement