Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Netflix Recommendations Thread 3.0

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,793 ✭✭✭FunLover18

I assume you've tried turning on subtitles 😅 does it do that annoying thing of just saying "speaking french"

• Registered Users Posts: 13,563 ✭✭✭✭peteeeed

Copenhagen Cowboy season 1 (2023) (Danish) Nicolas Winding Refn’s six-episode neon-noir series follows enigmatic young heroine, Miu. After a lifetime of servitude and on the verge of a new beginning, she traverses the ominous landscape of Copenhagen’s criminal netherworld. Searching for justice and enacting vengeance, she encounters her nemesis, Rakel, as they embark on an odyssey through the natural and the supernatural. The past ultimately transforms and defines their future, as the two women discover they are not alone, they are many.

Woman of the Dead season 1 (2022) (German) In a vengeful quest to find out who killed her husband, a woman ends up exposing her small community's deepest and ugliest secrets

Mars One (2022) (Brazilian) Following a tense election, a tight-knit family works to navigate life changes while chasing separate goals -- including a secret dream to live on Mars.

Ginny & Georgia: Season 2 (2023) Buckle up peaches, Ginny & Georgia are back and they’re messier than ever

Added

• Registered Users Posts: 14,715 ✭✭✭✭Earthhorse

I enjoyed both but Glass Onion more. Thought it was plenty substantial and that both films featured a rogue's gallery of scoundrels who were hardly likable but highly watchable. Thought the cast were strong in both.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,148 ✭✭✭✭Hurrache

Had Wrath of Man on my Prime watch list for a while, Statham is the main character but a couple of other decent actors are there too and didn't realise it was a Richie movie until the opening credits.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,148 ✭✭✭✭Hurrache

It's a pretty big 'bug' with Netflix, I was watching The Courier and the same issue there, no subtitles for the Russian dialogue. Wasn't sure if it was intentional but a google proved that Netflix **** this up repeatedly.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,352 ✭✭✭apache

Yeah on to Baptiste now and it's working fine.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,295 ✭✭✭Caquas

Knives Out was far better.

The cast of characters worked together brilliantly as a dysfunctional family whereas Glass Onion has a mish-mash of irredeemably awful, OTT caricatures, thrown together as drinking buddies in NY years earlier when one of them had a stroke of genius (which is never explained but brings untold riches) .

Both movies had a serious plotting issue - in both cases, the murder is not planned but is a response to a sudden crisis. Yet only the most brilliant detective can unravel this spur of the moment murder plot. The Glass Onion is even less credible because of the twin sister switcheroo. Identical twins can be mixed up at first sight but how long could the subterfuge last with her best buddies, whose entire fortune rests on lies they told against her in court?

I don’t like nitpicking the plot of a fun movie but Glass Onion jumped the shark.

Post edited by johnny_ultimate on

• Registered Users Posts: 7,000 ✭✭✭Wossack

Some spoiler tags above there wouldn’t be amiss

• Registered Users Posts: 14,715 ✭✭✭✭Earthhorse

@Caquas You should spoiler your comment for people who haven't seen the movie yet.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,095 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

Folks, if you want to discuss the plot of Glass Onion in depth there’s a busy and spoiler-heavy thread here rather than clogging up the general recommendations thread: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058185569/glass-onion-knives-out-2-spoilers-from-post-84/p1

No spoilers in my comments. The twin sister is introduced in the first few minutes.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,095 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

Mod note: @Caquas please don’t post untagged spoilers in this general Netflix recommendation thread - what you’re posting is very much a significant plot reveal in the film. You can discuss the film freely without spoiler tags in the dedicated thread. Thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,383 ✭✭✭✭AdamD

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,346 CMod ✭✭✭✭ShamoBuc

I quite enjoyed both of them.

Glass Onion - watchable but Knives Out was better I thought.

The Pale Blue Eye (2022) Based on the 2006 book of the same name by Louis Bayard, Scott Cooper’s gothic drama takes us back to 1830, West Point, where a world-weary detective is hired to discreetly investigate the gruesome murder of a cadet. Stymied by the cadets’ code of silence, he enlists one of their own to help unravel the case — a young man the world would come to know as Edgar Allan Poe. Harry Melling (The Old Guard) will play Poe, with Christian Bale playing the lead detective. They’re joined by Gillian Anderson (The Crown) and Lucy Boynton (Bohemian Rhapsody).

Pressure Cooker season 1 (2023) Living under one roof, eleven chefs use culinary skills and strategic plays in a tense cooking contest where they vote on who among them will win $100,000.

Mumbai Mafia: Police vs The Underworld (2022) This docuseries takes us back to 1990s Mumbai, when a crime boss and his network wield unchecked power over the city — until the rise of “encounter cops”, who brazenly kill their targets.

Added

If you think my very brief comments were “spoilers”, you would be shocked to read the plot descriptions in the mass media reviews of Glass Onion.

Admittedly, the media generally loved this film so maybe that’s why I’m a “spoiler”.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,793 ✭✭✭FunLover18

Glass Onion spoilers

The fact that Janael Monae is playing a twin sister is a late movie reveal, yes she is introduced in the first 5 minutes but the audience is clearly meant to believe she *is* Andi. Maybe you had it spoiled by media reviews but that's no reason to spoil it for others.

You're free to freely post any plot detail you'd like in the dedicated thread about the film, and you're 100% encouraged to be as positive or negative as you'd like about the film too! But please just put a significant plot reveal - and it is one, no matter what other media outlets have printed - in spoiler tags in this thread, as it's a general Netflix recommendations thread and there will be people who are posting here not expecting to see a major reveal from a new film posted with no warning.

Thanks, and let's all get back to recommendations now please :)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,082 ✭✭✭Man Vs ManUre

Is Happy Valley on any of the streaming yokes??

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Regional West Moderators Posts: 59,743 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gremlinertia

Not bad at all. Gave me a better picture of that period

• Registered Users Posts: 2,431 ✭✭✭ILikeBoats

I'd say just BBC iPlayer which is geoblocked without VPN

A proper gem added recently - Scorsese's Age of Innocence. Perhaps the single-most atypical feature in the great director's filmography... and that's allowing for his *extremely* varied and diverse career. But it's an exquisitely crafted costume drama full of remarkable images and stellar performances.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,901 ✭✭✭pavb2

I looked for the 1st series of Ottomans on Netflix but couldn’t find it. Is it anywhere else?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,346 CMod ✭✭✭✭ShamoBuc

Not sure, I watched it on Netflix a couple of weeks ago. It might pop up again in a few days, no real reason why it would be gone so quickly.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,520 ✭✭✭✭yabadabado

Once Upon a Time in Hollywood (2019) It's 1969. A TV actor and his stunt-double friend weigh their next move in an LA rocked by change as the scene's hottest couple arrives next door...MASSIVE RECOMMENDATION

added

• Registered Users Posts: 23 sherrupyew

Intimacy (2022) - I was totally gripped by this 8-part Spanish miniseries. It follows the impact of a leaked sex tape on a mayoral candidate. It also follows a parallel workplace harassment story in a factory, for reasons that soon become apparent.

Thought the writing, acting and directing was excellent. It tackles a serious subject matter with the necessary intelligence and empathy. Takes its time to make its case, but I really can't fault it. Top-notch drama.

Avoid the awkward dubbing and switch on the subs.

Post edited by sherrupyew on

• Advertisement

I watched to the end, just to see where it was going. Don’t bother.

The last half-hour is weird and only loosely connected with what went before. There are some interesting ideas in this film but the overall effect is confusing and I couldn’t engage with it even if there was enough to keep me watching.

Probably intended as Oscar bait but I can’t imagine anyone will get excited about it.

Advertisement