Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Netflix Recommendations Thread 3.0

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,158 ✭✭✭frag420

Rfrip wrote: »
    Anyone watch the secret city? Australian political thriller…100 percent on rotten tomatoes…so I’m going in

Watched it a year or so back, very good series!

Jackie Weaver is her typical great self in this and I
    loved seeing Damon Herriman (Justified) too, another great actor!

Watch it!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,048 ✭✭✭Ikozma

"awake" christ netflix is churning out some major horse****

Anyone watch the secret city? Australian political thriller…100 percent on rotten tomatoes…so I’m going in

Worth watching imo

• Registered Users Posts: 5,824 ✭✭✭Rfrip

Thanks all! Three episodes in and really enjoying it! A lot going on!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,943 ✭✭✭OldRio

Lupin.......... I'm finding it hard not to binge. Really good TV.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,563 ✭✭✭✭peteeeed

Metallica: Some Kind of Monster
    This collection includes the acclaimed rock documentary about Metallica, plus a film checking in with the still-thriving group 10 years later.

The Devil Below
    When a team of researchers tries to find out what started a fire in a coal mine, they quickly discover that the disaster is anything but natural.

Picture a Scientist
    In this documentary, leading women scientists discuss the inequalities they've faced as they set out to create a new formula to make STEM open to all.

added

Finished first season of the secret city!

Very very good!

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 11,022 Mod ✭✭✭✭Fysh

I chucked on Freaks: You're One Of Us, a German Netflix original from last year. It had a promising trailer, but ended up being fairly mediocre - the first half is pretty solid and strikes a playful, arch tone along the lines of a much more confident version of No Heroics. But as things progress it fails to do anything new or different with its characters or setup and just feels like an echo of other stories, ending up as a weird mix of ideas we've already seen in films like Chronicle, The Incredibles and Glass.

It's not bad and it'll pass 90 minutes harmlessly, but it feels like a feature-length pilot for a tv series more than a film that works in its own right.

• Registered Users Posts: 79 ✭✭Sunny_Arms

Have you guys seen trese? I've been reading some reviews and asking around about it and they said it's good even though it's just a short series.

Elite Short Stories: Guzmán Caye Rebe season 1
    hosts an intimate house warming party for her friends, but the situation takes a dramatic turn with the help of drugs and unexpected visitors.

added

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,271 ✭✭✭Barna77

peteeeed wrote: »
    Elite Short Stories: Guzmán Caye Rebe season 1
    hosts an intimate house warming party for her friends, but the situation takes a dramatic turn with the help of drugs and unexpected visitors.

added

I'll be watching the new season, but Cayetana is so annoying

• Registered Users Posts: 5,178 ✭✭✭Man Vs ManUre

Midsommar arriving on July 5th. A very good film but very strange. I liked it, but I preferred Hereditary as found it to be more scary.

• Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,182 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

I only watched Hereditary a week or so ago for the first time, it's definitely more a straight up horror film than Midsommar (
    particularly in the last 25 minutes or so
    ) but both films were pretty unsettling in a very similar way I found. Definitely stay with you a while after you watch them.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,993 ✭✭✭youcancallmeal

Is startup worth watching? Seems to have low critics scores but very high audience score on rotten tomatoes

Is startup worth watching? Seems to have low critics scores but very high audience score on rotten tomatoes

I gave up after the second ep. Just didn’t grab me at all

• Registered Users Posts: 4,839 ✭✭✭deisedude

Only managed one episode of season 3 of Master of None. The show has disappeared up its own arse trying to be deliberately arty and pander to critics. Not one laugh in the 50+ minutes and it's basically a spin off when the main character is replaced. So disappointed

• Registered Users Posts: 16,523 ✭✭✭✭yabadabado

It's ok and easy enough watch.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,639 ✭✭✭completedit

Lupin again is just so watchable. Omar Sy's character needs urgent psychiatric help though

Beyond Evil Season 1 (Korean)
    As a killing resembling a cold case resurfaces in a small town, the chase for the truth falls on two policemen who each harbor secrets of their own.

Elite Short Stories: Nadia Guzmán
    Nadia feels conflicted about whether or not to see her long distance boyfriend, Guzmán, when she returns to Spain for her sister's wedding.

Headspace: Unwind Your Mind
    Do you want to relax, meditate or sleep deeply? Personalize the experience according to your mood or mindset with this Headspace interactive special

The Karate Kid (remake)
    After moving to Beijing with his mother, Dre falls prey to a bully, so he takes lessons from a martial arts master in this remake of the 1984 classic.

Power Rangers Dino Fury season 1
    With the prehistoric force of the dinosaurs, a new crew of Power Rangers must deal with a menacing army of alien creatures attacking Earth.

Song One
    Franny, desperate to reach her comatose brother Henry, gives a book of his song lyrics to James Forester, Henry's favorite singer, to set to music.

Anger Management
    After a gentle businessman is forced to get anger management counseling, his therapist moves in -- but turns out to have anger issues of his own.

Boyz n the Hood
    A high school student living with his stern, loving father in South Central Los Angeles gets drawn into the neighborhood's gangs, drugs and violence.

added

• Registered Users Posts: 1,566 ✭✭✭Need a Username

I have not used the download option on Netflix in a long time and I am having a strange problem.

Any shows that I have downloaded that are not in English keep defaulting to the dubbed English track, but the anime show that I watch with the English dub track keeps defaulting to the original Japanese.

Is this happening to anybody else?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,614 ✭✭✭WrenBoy

Watched Cape Fear for the first time last weekend, I've been on a bit of an accidental early DeNiro/Pacino binge so I threw it on.

I really enjoyed it and was eager to see how Scorsese would make this type of thriller look.
    I got some Hitchcock vibes off it in parts and I always love watching early Bobby.
    Herself then thought it was rubbish, wondering what people here think, am I way off and just convincing myself its a good movie just because of the DeNiro Scorsese attachment ?

Also an aside but John Cazale, what a talent lost. :(

• Registered Users Posts: 6,353 ✭✭✭Wrongway1985

WrenBoy wrote: »
    Watched Cape Fear for the first time last weekend, I've been on a bit of an accidental early DeNiro/Pacino binge so I threw it on.

I got some Hitchcock vibes off it in parts(

The guy who wrote the book (which is titled 'The Executioners') actually even had a story of his featured on Hitchcock's show so must have had his seal of approval. :p

The first adaptation also released under the title 'Cape Fear' is more faithful to the book and in my view a better film overall. The Scorsese version is fine a bit more violent and hammed up cartoony, big De Niro fan myself but Robert Mitchum is the definitive Max Cady.

Can imagine the Scorsese version has sustained more relevance largely due to the original being shot in black & white.

WrenBoy wrote: »

I really enjoyed it and was eager to see how Scorsese would make this type of thriller look.
    I got some Hitchcock vibes off it in parts and I always love watching early Bobby.
    Herself then thought it was rubbish, wondering what people here think, am I way off and just convincing myself its a good movie just because of the DeNiro Scorsese attachment ?

Also an aside but John Cazale, what a talent lost. :(

I think it's probably one of the pulpiest Scorecard films out there. I do like it but I didn't the first time. It's worth checking out the original too which I personally prefer. Scorcese put half the cast of the original in it too so I think he views it as a bit of a tribute.

• Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,182 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

I can only see the sideshow Bob episode of the Simpsons when I watch it now.

• Registered Users Posts: 814 ✭✭✭saggycaggy

I gave up after the second ep. Just didn’t grab me at all

I was about to give up after 3 episodes but someone recommended i stick with it and glad I did, really picked up from episode 4. Only 2 seasons and easy watch.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,916 ✭✭✭cdgalwegian

("Startup" series)
    saggycaggy wrote: »
    I was about to give up after 3 episodes but someone recommended i stick with it and glad I did, really picked up from episode 4. Only 2 seasons and easy watch.
    There's 3 seasons. Yeah, it's a bit patchy, and a bit incredulous at times, but it does have some interesting stuff in it, so it's worth a watch.

Elite Short Stories: Omar Ander Alexis
    Now in remission, Ander is set on spending his summer helping Alexis, his chemo partner, go through treatment.

La diosa del asfalto
    A woman from a tough neighborhood outside Mexico City comes home a rock star, inadvertently provoking a confrontation with the ghosts of her past.

Penguin Town
    In a picturesque South African town, an eclectic group of endangered penguins flock together to find mates, raise families and mix with the locals.

Ricardo O'Farrill Abrazo Genial
    Ricardo O'Farrill brings his sharp, observational humor to the stage with a relentless sarcasm and specific Mexican sensibility. Prepare for mockery.

Security
    After the assault of a young woman in their seaside town, a security expert and his family get caught in a powerful riptide of secrets and lies.

Silver Skates
    On the frozen rivers and canals of St. Petersburg, a petty thief on skates warms the heart of an aristocrat's daughter as forces try to keep them apart.

A Man For The Week End
    A career-focused woman convinces a colleague to pose as her boyfriend for a family visit -- and must face a meddling mom and some unexpected feelings.

Biking Borders
    Best friends Max and Nono bike from Berlin to Beijing, collecting donations to build a school for a unique fundraising adventure in this documentary.

added

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 11,022 Mod ✭✭✭✭Fysh

I stuck on Booksmart yesterday wanting something a bit light and daft, and really enjoyed it. I remember it getting good feedback on release, but hadn't realised it was this good - it puts me in mind of something like 10 Things I Hate About You with a hyper-distorted lens on high school, rather than just lazily going for clichés and stereotypes. The interaction between Amy and Molly was really fun to watch and made their friendship believable; I also liked that the film didn't really have any antagonists as such.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 23,929 Mod ✭✭✭✭TICKLE_ME_ELMO

Fysh wrote: »
    I stuck on Booksmart yesterday wanting something a bit light and daft, and really enjoyed it. I remember it getting good feedback on release, but hadn't realised it was this good - it puts me in mind of something like 10 Things I Hate About You with a hyper-distorted lens on high school, rather than just lazily going for clichés and stereotypes. The interaction between Amy and Molly was really fun to watch and made their friendship believable; I also liked that the film didn't really have any antagonists as such.

Molly kind of was the antagonist, in some ways, maybe?

• Advertisement

Molly kind of was the antagonist, in some ways, maybe?

But she's also a protagonist - the film follows her as much as Amy. In a certain sense, the arc for both of them is accepting the difference between what the two of them want.

Equally you could argue that FOMO is the antagonist, as that is what drives the two of them to venture outside of their comfort zones.

Advertisement