Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Netflix Recommendations Thread 3.0

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 48,186 ✭✭✭✭km79

Homelander wrote: »
    Watched Calm with Horses last night. Thought it was really excellent.

People down-rating it on IMDB it because it's not an action movie with drug deals and murders every 5 minutes is ridiculous.

It's an excellent character drama with a crime backdrop. Indisputably the best Irish film I've seen in quite some time.

Absolutely love Niamh Algar as well, and Cosmo Jarvis as Arm is just incredible.

Just finished it this minute and came on to post similar
    Fantastic performance by the two
    Extremely well made and beautifully shot.
    Highly recommended but make sure you are in the mood for it !

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,116 ✭✭✭✭RasTa

thegills wrote: »
    Irish Netflix? I can't find it.

English

• Registered Users Posts: 4,411 ✭✭✭RocketRaccoon

Homelander wrote: »
    Watched Calm with Horses last night. Thought it was really excellent.

People down-rating it on IMDB it because it's not an action movie with drug deals and murders every 5 minutes is ridiculous.

It's an excellent character drama with a crime backdrop. Indisputably the best Irish film I've seen in quite some time.

Absolutely love Niamh Algar as well, and Cosmo Jarvis as Arm is just incredible.

It was decent, nothing spectacular. Barry Keoghans accent was terrible though and I'm usually a huge fan of his work.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,926 ✭✭✭cdgalwegian

It was decent, nothing spectacular. Barry Keoghans accent was terrible though and I'm usually a huge fan of his work.
    Haven't bothered with it myself, partly because I just don't get the Barry Keoghan thing; I've seen him in a fair few things, and think he's totally unforgettable. I might check it out though for Cosmo Jarvis, who I've never seen before and is supposed be very good in it (and for the currently ubiquitous Niamh Algar).

• Registered Users Posts: 48,186 ✭✭✭✭km79

Haven't bothered with it myself, partly because I just don't get the Barry Keoghan thing; I've seen him in a fair few things, and think he's totally unforgettable. I might check it out though for Cosmo Jarvis, who I've never seen before and is supposed be very good in it (and for the currently ubiquitous Niamh Algar).

BK is more of a supporting actor on this
    It’s all about Cosmo (who I also never heard of ) and to a lesser extent Niamh Algar (also never heard of her)

Cosmo is like an Irish version of Lincoln from Prison Break in this !

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 23,931 Mod ✭✭✭✭TICKLE_ME_ELMO

I don't thick it's on Netflix but Cosmo Jarvis was also in the excellent Lady MacBeth with Florence Pugh a few years ago.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,793 ✭✭✭FunLover18

Cosmo Jarvis also had a small role in Peaky Blinders and his music is very good.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,571 ✭✭✭flasher0030

km79 wrote: »
    BK is more of a supporting actor on this
    It’s all about Cosmo (who I also never heard of ) and to a lesser extent Niamh Algar (also never heard of her)

Cosmo is like an Irish version of Lincoln from Prison Break in this !

I enjoyed it; but I think there's definitely an element of "Irish Loyalty" to it. If it was the same acting, same story and atmosphere, but set in say the back end of Scotland, I don't think I'd have given it the same attention.
    For example I watched an English film with same working class theme going through it, young lads steeling steel, with a dark human atrocity in the climax - The Selfish Giant. Got good reviews. But for me it was a bit of a snorefest. Nothing really happened in the film. Was a real character development movie. But as it was set in a foreign jurisdiction, it didn't stir my emotions.

I enjoyed it; but I think there's definitely an element of "Irish Loyalty" to it. If it was the same acting, same story and atmosphere, but set in say the back end of Scotland, I don't think I'd have given it the same attention.
    For example I watched an English film with same working class theme going through it, young lads steeling steel, with a dark human atrocity in the climax - The Selfish Giant. Got good reviews. But for me it was a bit of a snorefest. Nothing really happened in the film. Was a real character development movie. But as it was set in a foreign jurisdiction, it didn't stir my emotions.

The Selfish Giant is about the tragedy of kids on the outskirts of society and the bleakness of a world where they're not allowed to just be kids. I wouldn't think you need to have the same accent, or be familiar with the places, to be moved by that.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,855 ✭✭✭Rfrip

Synode wrote: »
    One of the best things Netflix have made.

This did nothing for me...I must be the only person though, havnt seen a single bad review

• Advertisement

The Selfish Giant is about the tragedy of kids on the outskirts of society and the bleakness of a world where they're not allowed to just be kids. I wouldn't think you need to have the same accent, or be familiar with the places, to be moved by that.

No need to be smart. I was just relaying my opinion that many people may be more sympathetic towards an Irish based film, when making their own conclusions as to whether it was good or not. Especially a film set in the West/South as it's portrayed as "traditional Ireland".

Wasn't moved at all by The Selfish Giant. Was just looking forward to it coming to some ending, as nothing happens throughout. It's not that I'm just into action, thriller type movies. I love a good drama as much as the next guy. But I do like some moving parts in a film.

No need to be smart. I was just relaying my opinion that many people may be more sympathetic towards an Irish based film, when making their own conclusions as to whether it was good or not. Especially a film set in the West/South as it's portrayed as "traditional Ireland".

Wasn't moved at all by The Selfish Giant. Was just looking forward to it coming to some ending, as nothing happens throughout. It's not that I'm just into action, thriller type movies. I love a good drama as much as the next guy. But I do like some moving parts in a film.

I wasn't being smart. I was addressing the point you made about not feeling anything for it because it was set in a "foreign jurisdiction". Being Irish, the vast majority of media we consume is set somewhere else. It just seems like an odd quantifier for what you will/won't feel something for.

Anyway, that's irrelevant as it's not on Netflix so, let's move on...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,328 ✭✭✭lazeedaisy

Mickeroo wrote: »
    Game Night is a good laugh.

I really enjoyed Extra Ordinary and Juliet Naked too but the last time I recommended those the posters in question didn't like them :o

Thanks for the recommendations, watched Juliet Naked today, enjoyed it, extra ordinary is on my list,

• Registered Users Posts: 1,081 ✭✭✭Mr.Wemmick

The Queen's Gambit is the best series I've seen on Netflix in quite a while. Every episode is brilliant.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,550 ✭✭✭ShineOn7

Any Standup recommendations from the last 2 years?

I switched off James Acaster's "Repertoire" after 10 mins, I don't get the hype at all

I'm looking for stuff that's the same standard as:
    • Chris Rock
    • Louis CK
    • Jim Jefferies
    • Eddie Murphy
    • Richard Pryor
    • Dylan Moran
    • Aziz Anzari

Two big names I never really took to with Netflix specials are Jerry Senfield and Dave Chapelle but I might try Dave's specials again

Suggestions welcome

• Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,212 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

I find Mike Birbiglia very funny. My Girlfriend's Boyfriend and The New One were very funny. There's also another one called Thank God For Jokes which I'm not sure if I've watched or not.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,095 ✭✭✭The Raging Bile Duct

ShineOn7 wrote: »

I switched off James Acaster's "Repertoire" after 10 mins, I don't get the hype at all

• Chris Rock
    • Louis CK
    • Jim Jefferies
    • Eddie Murphy
    • Richard Pryor
    • Dylan Moran
    • Aziz Anzari

Two big names I never really took to with Netflix specials are Jerry Senfield and Dave Chapelle but I might try Dave's specials again

Suggestions welcome

Yeah, as said above Mike Birbiglia's specials are good. Bill Burr has some great specials, I'm Sorry You Feel That Way in particular. Walk Your Way Out is probably the only one of them that doesn't quite hit the mark.

Anthony Jeselnik is a very acquired taste but if you're into really dark, fooked up humour you might enjoy him. I like Marc Maron's specials as well, they can be a little bit rambling but if you know him from the podcasts he does, you can go with it.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,051 ✭✭✭joeguevara

• Chris Rock
    • Louis CK
    • Jim Jefferies
    • Eddie Murphy
    • Richard Pryor
    • Dylan Moran
    • Aziz Anzari

Suggestions welcome

Loved Bert Kreischers three specials.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,259 ✭✭✭✭Princess Consuela Bananahammock

Currently enjoying 'To The Lake' - Russian apocalyptic virus story about a couple of families who escape Moscow as Russian civilization crumbles.

Everything I don't like is either woke or fascist - possibly both - pick one.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,203 ✭✭✭✭Hurrache

• Chris Rock
    • Louis CK
    • Jim Jefferies
    • Eddie Murphy
    • Richard Pryor
    • Dylan Moran
    • Aziz Anzari

Suggestions welcome

Greg Davies, You magnificent beast, is brilliant, albeit outside of 2 years.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 84 ✭✭gilly1910

Are most moves not set in a foreign jurisdiction?

• Registered Users Posts: 13,563 ✭✭✭✭peteeeed

Undercover season 2
    Undercover agents infiltrate a drug kingpin's operation by posing as a couple at the campground where he spends his weekends. Inspired by real events.

added

gilly1910 wrote: »
    Are most moves not set in a foreign jurisdiction?

Presume you mean movies.
    Of course they are. Some we like. Some we don't like as much and some we think are rubbish. Depending on tastes etc.
    I'm just saying that if a film is marketed as a traditional Ireland setting, that we are a little more sympathetic towards it when analysing our enjoyment of the film.
    Or maybe not. Might be just me. I'm originally from the West of Ireland. And like films with that Irish feel to it. I enjoyed Calm with Horses.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,349 ✭✭✭McGrath5

Watched White Boy Rick over the weekend - enjoyed it's nearly 2 hour run time. A little bit predictable in the end would still recommend it.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,404 ✭✭✭✭gmisk

I have just finished episode 5 of season 2 of unsolved mysteries really excellent episode again I have to say.

Can anyone recommend anything else similar?
    I like the look of the innocence files.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,775 ✭✭✭✭Slattsy

Do not watch Top of the Lake. Its absolutely terrible, and possibly the worst thing I've ever watched on TV.

Don't say you have not been warned.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,747 ✭✭✭✭Charlie19

Slattsy wrote: »
    Do not watch Top of the Lake. Its absolutely terrible, and possibly the worst thing I've ever watched on TV.

Don't say you have not been warned.

If you're talking about the series from New Zealand about the missing girl, I thought it was pretty good.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,231 ✭✭✭Hercule Poirot

Charlie19 wrote: »
    If you're talking about the series from New Zealand about the missing girl, I thought it was pretty good.

I would double down on this and say it was excellent

• Registered Users Posts: 32,404 ✭✭✭✭gmisk

I only watched series one of top of the lake but I thought it was very good. It depends what you are into i guess, it's not a thrill a minute it's more slow paced and scandi, I found it gripping.

I can really really recommend the innocence files...absolutely brill I am two episodes in.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,563 ✭✭✭✭peteeeed

Dash & Lily: Season 1
    Based on the young adult novels, this romantic comedy follows a whirlwind holiday affair that builds as cynical Dash and optimistic Lily trade dares, dreams, and desires in the notebook they pass back and forth at locations all across New York City, finding they have more in common with each other than they would have expected.

The Nokdu Flower (koreon)
    As a peasant revolution for equality brews in 19th-century Joseon, two half-brothers fight for their beliefs on opposite sides of the conflict.

A Lion in the House
    Five kids and their resilient families navigate the treatments and traumas of pediatric cancer in this documentary filmed over the course of six years.

Trash Truck: Season 1
    Six-year old Hank and his best pal, a giant trash truck, explore the world around them on fantastical adventures with their animal friends.

added

Advertisement