Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Netflix Recommendations Thread 3.0

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 48,132 ✭✭✭✭km79

Just finished Tell Me Who I Am
    Wow . It’s tough watching especially Part 3 but held my attention the whole way through

Don’t read anything about it first as I didn’t

• Registered Users Posts: 3,187 ✭✭✭Andrewf20

km79 wrote: »
    Wow . It’s tough watching especially Part 3 but held my attention the whole way through

Agreed. Superbly made.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 23,926 Mod ✭✭✭✭TICKLE_ME_ELMO

I was fascinated by it. Not to sound cold or anything but I'd imagine they'd be a psychologist's field day to study. I had so many questions about it all, about the human experience in general.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,286 ✭✭✭seligehgit

peteeeed wrote: »
    Marcella season 2
    Despite marriage woes, a tragic loss, memory blackouts and her struggles as a mom, a London detective excels at what she does best: catching killers.

Added

Enjoyable second season.

I was fascinated by it. Not to sound cold or anything but I'd imagine they'd be a psychologist's field day to study. I had so many questions about it all, about the human experience in general.

Agreed

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,286 ✭✭✭seligehgit

Thought The King was great. Superb acting from him ^

Absolutely outstanding film and he was superb.

The music was out of this world.

• Registered Users Posts: 437 ✭✭Robert McGrath

pixelburp wrote: »
    Great to see Atypical back, a sweet, funny & underrated show.

I’m 6 episodes into the latest season having loved the first 2 and just wanted to agree with this comment. I think this show is one of Netflix’s finest creations. Very funny, undeniably sweet but give it some time for character development and it’ll hit you right in the feels as well. Really beautifully written, beautifully casted and beautifully acted IMO. Highly recommended

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,454 ✭✭✭Blondie919

Is this thread strictly Netflix only??

• Registered Users Posts: 492 ✭✭CosmicFool

Blondie919 wrote: »

Yes

• Registered Users Posts: 13,563 ✭✭✭✭peteeeed

Blondie919 wrote: »

they're are streaming and prime threads

• Advertisement

Papi Chulo
    An improbable friendship develops when a despondent TV weatherman hires a bemused day laborer to paint his deck ... and listen to his problems.

Support the Girls (not a clue what this is )
    Over the course of one long day, a frustrated manager tries to keep her breastaurant in line, despite all the cleavage and crass customers.

added

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,094 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

Over the course of one long day, a frustrated manager tries to keep her breastaurant in line, despite all the cleavage and crass customers.

That is an amusingly crude synopsis for what is one of last year’s best films ;)

Really terrific film though, from the great Andrew Bujalski. Boasts a boss-tier performance from Regina Hall. A funny, lively film about workers in modern America.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 23,926 Mod ✭✭✭✭TICKLE_ME_ELMO

Papi Chulo
    An improbable friendship develops when a despondent TV weatherman hires a bemused day laborer to paint his deck ... and listen to his problems.

added

I've heard brilliant things about both these films.

• Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,143 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

Is it just me or have Netflix improved their film content a lot over the last 6 months or so. They seem to be addling a lot more films than they had been before (not necessarily blockbusters buta fair few well reviewed indie films and world cinema). Couple this with a marked improvement in the filsm they're producing themselves (Dolemite/Irishman/Laundromat etc)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,911 ✭✭✭cdgalwegian

Enjoyed watching The King. Despite it being a bit grim, this gritty historical drama was well directed by David Michôd. Using an excellent cast, cinematography and musical score, he brought a sombre historical realism to a piece of history I have only ever read about in 2 or 3 lines before. The reluctant ruler trope is a well visited one, but this director brought Henry V's burden to life in a very realistic and believable way. It's gritty realism and 2 hrs 20 runtime means you have be in the right mood to watch it though.

• Registered Users Posts: 350 ✭✭Taiga

Has Netflix changed it's format today or is my internet gone a bit wonky?

Watching season 2 of El Marginal, enjoying it.

• Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,143 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

Taiga wrote: »
    Has Netflix changed it's format today or is my internet gone a bit wonky?

Watching season 2 of El Marginal, enjoying it.

Mine changed last week sometime, the thumbnails are all rectangular like a dvd box now.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,094 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

Mickeroo wrote: »
    Is it just me or have Netflix improved their film content a lot over the last 6 months or so. They seem to be addling a lot more films than they had been before (not necessarily blockbusters buta fair few well reviewed indie films and world cinema). Couple this with a marked improvement in the filsm they're producing themselves (Dolemite/Irishman/Laundromat etc)

Yes and no. They’ve hit a stride in original fare I think it’s fair to say - given Roma was in a class of its own at around this time last year, the likes of The Irishman, Marriage Story and Uncut Gems (last is cheating a bit as they’re distributing here but not in the US) are properly great - I’d rate all of them as among the year’s best. They’re still very uneven when it comes to quality control - I wanted to like Wounds, The King and The Laundromat but I think they’re all deeply frustrating films - but they’re making progress for sure. Question remains whether their spending spree is sustainable!

Still a bit of a crapshoot when it comes to third party fare. Definitely good films pop up reasonably regularly but it’s all a bit inconsistent. I’d still more readily recommend MUBI for cinephiles as they offer a deeper, broader perspective on what modern (and classic) cinema has to offer... but Netflix IMO is in a better place in terms of its catalogue than it was last year. Plus, actually showing their stuff in cinemas is progress ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,377 ✭✭✭kerplun k

That is an amusingly crude synopsis for what is one of last year’s best films ;)

Really terrific film though, from the great Andrew Bujalski. Boasts a boss-tier performance from Regina Hall. A funny, lively film about workers in modern America.

Hat tip for the recommendation.

Really sweet movie with some great performances, James LeGros can really nail that a$$hole thing. Haley Lu Richardson, Regina Hall, and Shayna McHayle are all excellent in their very different, but equally likeable roles.

I like the way there’s no BS here at the end,
    It’s an on the nose portrayal of working life. We’re undervalued, overworked and sometimes our bosses can be a$$holes, and as important as we think we are at work, and ‘we’re the glue that holds the place together’, the fact is, everyone is replaceable and nothing really changes when we leave. Sure there’ll be some disruption, but eventually things just move on, but if we’re lucky, we gain some genuine friendships along the way and hopefully learn a thing a two.

Really enjoyed this. :)

Jeff Garlin: Our Man In Chicago
    Comedian Jeff Garlin (unintentionally) celebrates his 37th year of stand-up and shares his learnings on love, loss, success and food addiction.

Mars sesaon 2
    Fact meets fiction in this docudrama chronicling the journey of a spacecraft crew as it embarks in 2033 on a mission to colonize the red planet.

added

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,321 ✭✭✭Gloomtastic!

ziedth wrote: »
    Watched American Son as myself and the Wife enjoyed Scandal for a time and gave it a watch. Good god it was some pile of ****e...... about half way through we were almost laughing that they seemed to be intentionally making everyone as unlikeable as possible. Couple of decent actors and all but just give it a miss

I can't find the reason why I had this on My List but watched it last night and totally agree. Complete waste of 90 minutes of my life! :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 19,017 ✭✭✭✭adox

Anyone else watched The Devil Next Door?

I thought it was pretty good and didn’t outstay it’s welcome in its 5 episode format, unlike some of their recent documentaries.

I’m old enough to remember the 80s but just don’t remember this case at all.

The Jewish defence lawyer was one strange fish.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,363 ✭✭✭Gadgetman496

adox wrote: »
    Anyone else watched The Devil Next Door?

I thought it was pretty good and didn’t outstay it’s welcome in its 5 episode format, unlike some of their recent documentaries.

I’m old enough to remember the 80s but just don’t remember this case at all.

The Jewish defence lawyer was one strange fish.

I thought it was pretty good, like you, I’m old enough to remember the 80s but just don’t remember this case at all either.

Poland asks Netflix to make changes to Nazi documentary

https://www.rte.ie/news/newslens/2019/1112/1090264-poland-netflix-documentary-nazi/

"Everybody is a genius. But if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will live its whole life believing that it is stupid."

• Registered Users Posts: 5,790 ✭✭✭appledrop

6 episodes into Unbelievable.

It is outstanding! We are totally hooked + cant wait to finish last two episodes tonight.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,790 ✭✭✭appledrop

Seriously everyone needs to watch Unbelievable.

One of the best programmes I have seen in a long time.

appledrop wrote: »
    Seriously everyone needs to watch Unbelievable.

One of the best programmes I have seen in a long time.

I respectfully disagree
    I found it really tedious as did my wife
    We really struggled to finish and when we did found the final episode underwhelming

I seem to be in the minority though to be fair. There are a lot more positive than negative reviews

• Registered Users Posts: 8,321 ✭✭✭Gloomtastic!

Started Marcello last night starring Anna Friel. Very promising after the first two episodes.....:)

• Registered Users Posts: 10,689 ✭✭✭✭Electric Nitwit

I respectfully disagree

First time on the internet? :pac: :p

Maradona in Mexico
    In this docuseries, soccer great Diego Maradona comes to Culiac�n, the heart of the Sinaloa Cartel, to save the local team, the Dorados, and maybe himself, too.

Dragon Ball Super: Broly
    A powerful young Saiyan and his father were exiled by the king long ago. Now freed, he wants his revenge on the king's son: Vegeta

Non-Stop (liam neeson)

added

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 350 ✭✭Taiga

I respectfully disagree
    I found it really tedious as did my wife
    We really struggled to finish and when we did found the final episode underwhelming

I seem to be in the minority though to be fair. There are a lot more positive than negative reviews

I enjoyed it while I was watching it, though it did peter out for me towards the end.
    A sign of a really good show is when you're still thinking of it a day or so later and I found I forgot about it very quickly. Only remembering it when I read about it here.

Advertisement