Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Netflix Recommendations Thread 3.0

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,790 ✭✭✭appledrop

Everyone is different but I thought it was outstanding.

What I really liked was the parrell stories and showing cops view but also the victims.

I thought the way they showed the impact on victim Marie was so real + well thought out. Of course it was also based on true story + I'm a sucker for any drama based on that!

I also loved the fact that all the main characters were women for once.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,826 ✭✭✭✭Mam of 4

Greatest Events Of WWII In Colour has been my viewing for the last few nights . Very interesting imo .

• Registered Users Posts: 28,814 ✭✭✭✭Quazzie

km79 wrote: »
    I respectfully disagree
    I found it really tedious as did my wife
    We really struggled to finish and when we did found the final episode underwhelming

I seem to be in the minority though to be fair. There are a lot more positive than negative reviews

There were so many unnecessary plot lines, that withered off to nothing. Pointless. All of them only served as filler to drag what could've been a decent two piece drama into a six episode season.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,563 ✭✭✭✭peteeeed

My Dear Warrior season 1
    Love leaps off the page when an astronomer magically meets her comic book hero in the flesh, but learns that his fictional problems are very real.

Fadily Camara : La plus drôle de tes copines
    Irrepressible French comedian Fadily Camara weaves jokes, vivid characters and physical comedy into a lively stand-up show at La Cigale in Paris.

Jumanji: Welcome to the Jungle

added

• Registered Users Posts: 760 ✭✭✭Foggy Jew

seligehgit wrote: »
    Marcella with Anna Friel is very good.

100% agree. Terrific series.

It's the bally ballyness of it that makes it all seem so bally bally.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 407 ✭✭Tec Diver

Mind Hunter - great viewing, though quite graphic.

Based on a true story of the setting up of the FBI's BAU (Behavioral Analysis Unit). I'm currently studying Psychology, hence my own interest.

Eoin

• Registered Users Posts: 8,363 ✭✭✭Gadgetman496

Tec Diver wrote: »

Based on a true story of the setting up of the FBI's BAU (Behavioral Analysis Unit). I'm currently studying Psychology, hence my own interest.

Eoin

Is that Mindhunter (2017)?

https://www.imdb.com/title/tt5290382/?ref_=nv_sr_3?ref_=nv_sr_3

"Everybody is a genius. But if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will live its whole life believing that it is stupid."

• Registered Users Posts: 407 ✭✭Tec Diver

That's the one.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,520 ✭✭✭✭yabadabado

Tec Diver wrote: »

Eoin

Really good show.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,322 ✭✭✭mojesius

Mam of 4 wrote: »
    Greatest Events Of WWII In Colour has been my viewing for the last few nights . Very interesting imo .

Same in our house! I've watched and read a lot about WW2 but there's always more to learn about the subject! I liked how they devote a lot of time going into detail about important aspects that other documentaries brush over, e.g. Yamamoto's background and characteristics, helps set context around Pearl Harbour and Midway. Also, the Germans' use of crystal meth during the invasion of France and the impact that had on both forces.

Midway was a fantastic episode! I was engrossed. Onto Stalingrad tonight when I get home :)

• Advertisement

mojesius wrote: »
    Same in our house! I've watched and read a lot about WW2 but there's always more to learn about the subject! I liked how they devote a lot of time going into detail about important aspects that other documentaries brush over, e.g. Yamamoto's background and characteristics, helps set context around Pearl Harbour and Midway. Also, the Germans' use of crystal meth during the invasion of France and the impact that had on both forces.

Midway was a fantastic episode! I was engrossed. Onto Stalingrad tonight when I get home :)

Well said , it's the details that we haven't heard before that capture your attention and give more understanding of different situations , I think .

Enjoy Stalingrad , watched it last night , looking forward to hear what you think of it :)

• Registered Users Posts: 28,800 ✭✭✭✭CastorTroy

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 35,941 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

Jesus, why. That third installment stunk so much I'd have presumed what little franchise potential this has was dead and buried. Murphy maybe capitalising on some goodwill post the Dolomite reviews?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,793 ✭✭✭FunLover18

pixelburp wrote: »
    Jesus, why. That third installment stunk so much I'd have presumed what little franchise potential this has was dead and buried. Murphy maybe capitalising on some goodwill post the Dolomite reviews?

It's an odd franchise, the first is an all-time classic IMO, but it was a bit haphazard in how it came together, originally written for Stallone, pretty much rewritten on the fly with Eddie ad-libbing (you can see the other actors corpsing in some scenes), and directed by Martin Brest who has a pretty eclectic career. The second one is directed by Tony Scott who is primarily an action director and whilst it's probably a tighter film plot and script wise I don't think it captures the magic of the first the same way. The third then comea out during a phase when Eddie is trying to be taken seriously as an action star and is tonally very different yet they got Landis to direct who is known for comedy, which doesn't seem to fit what they were trying to do. I think there's talk of them getting the Dolemite director for 4 but it all comes down to the plot. You need to have a decent reason to bring those characters back together. I also think a major factor in 3 not working is no Taggart, I think the actor quit acting.

The Devil Next Door .
    On the 2nd episode :(

• Registered Users Posts: 39,440 ✭✭✭✭Itssoeasy

The Devil Next Door .

Not watched that yet but I did look online about the person in question and it's a bit grim.

Itssoeasy wrote: »
    Not watched that yet but I did look online about the person in question and it's a bit grim.

It is grim , distressing at times , but very compelling viewing .

FunLover18 wrote: »
    It's an odd franchise, the first is an all-time classic IMO, but it was a bit haphazard in how it came together, originally written for Stallone, pretty much rewritten on the fly with Eddie ad-libbing (you can see the other actors corpsing in some scenes), and directed by Martin Brest who has a pretty eclectic career. The second one is directed by Tony Scott who is primarily an action director and whilst it's probably a tighter film plot and script wise I don't think it captures the magic of the first the same way. The third then comea out during a phase when Eddie is trying to be taken seriously as an action star and is tonally very different yet they got Landis to direct who is known for comedy, which doesn't seem to fit what they were trying to do. I think there's talk of them getting the Dolemite director for 4 but it all comes down to the plot. You need to have a decent reason to bring those characters back together. I also think a major factor in 3 not working is no Taggart, I think the actor quit acting.

For the 4th one to work, Taggart has to be police chief!

Klaus
    When Jesper distinguishes himself as the postal academy’s worst student, he is stationed on a frozen island above the Arctic Circle, where the feuding locals hardly exchange words let alone letters. Jesper is about to give up when he finds an ally in local teacher Alva, and discovers Klaus, a mysterious carpenter who lives alone in a cabin full of handmade toys… An animated holiday comedy directed by Despicable Me co-creator Sergio Pablos.

The Toys That Made Us: Season 3 – 15th November
    For the casual to the hardcore collector, The Toys That Made Us is an international journey through parts of our history and culture shaped by popular toys.

Earthquake Bird
    Alicia Vikander and Riley Keough star in Wash Westmoreland’s psychological thriller, set in 1989 Tokyo, which follows Lucy Fly (Alicia Vikander), an enigmatic expat haunted by a painful past, who enters into an intense relationship with Teiji (Naoki Kobayashi), a handsome yet similarly troubled local photographer. Lucy’s imperturbable exterior begins to crack when a naive newcomer, Lily Bridges (Riley Keough), becomes entangled in their lives and ends up missing – suspected dead.

El Club: Season 1
    A band of misfit rich kids in Mexico strike out on their own selling ecstasy and quickly run into trouble.

The 24 Hour War
    An intense rivalry between Henry Ford II of the Ford Motor Company and Enzo Ferrari results in the most epic showdown in racing history.

I'm with the Band: Nasty Cherry
    In an unfiltered, intimate docuseries, pop star mentor Charli XCX finds out what it takes to build -- and break -- a real, badass all-girl punk band.

Don Jon (2013)

20 Feet From Stardom

The Dukes of Hazzard

Added

• Registered Users Posts: 4,441 ✭✭✭tigger123

20 Feet from Stardom is an excellent doc. Highly recommend.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,688 ✭✭✭✭Electric Nitwit

peteeeed wrote: »
    20 Feet From Stardom
    This is excellent - feature length documentary about backing singers
    The 24 Hour War
    An intense rivalry between Henry Ford II of the Ford Motor Company and Enzo Ferrari results in the most epic showdown in racing history
    Good timing, with Le Mans 66 out today!

• Registered Users Posts: 19,017 ✭✭✭✭adox

tigger123 wrote: »
    20 Feet from Stardom is an excellent doc. Highly recommend.

Yeah loved this. Anyone with even a passing interest in music would enjoy this.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,907 ✭✭✭trashcan

The Devil Next Door .

Have just started watching this, almost by accident, but as said already it is compelling stuff and I was drawn in. Honestly don’t remember the case and I haven’t googled so I don’t know the outcome. A lot of the evidence against him seems fairly dodgy, but then again there is something about his demeanor, especially in court in Israel, that seems a bit off. Horrific stories from the survivors.

Marriage Story out today in cinemas is getting some seriously good reviews
    https://www.rottentomatoes.com/m/marriage_story_2019

will be released on Netflix on December 6

• Registered Users Posts: 1,911 ✭✭✭cdgalwegian

trashcan wrote: »
    Have just started watching this, almost by accident, but as said already it is compelling stuff and I was drawn in. Honestly don’t remember the case and I haven’t googled so I don’t know the outcome. A lot of the evidence against him seems fairly dodgy, but then again there is something about his demeanor, especially in court in Israel, that seems a bit off. Horrific stories from the survivors.
    Just the last one to watch; twisty turny, like many court-room based reality tv series, except with this one, one of the worst cases of inhumanity in history hinging on the correct identification of the accused. With the verdict in, there's still scope for more drama; I'm glad I didn't netsearch the case at any stage, as the story is a fascinating one, given the context, and the various turns of events.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,558 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dades

pixelburp wrote: »
    I love the third one. :p
    It's got some really great lines in it!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,315 ✭✭✭Sam Hain

km79 wrote: »
    I respectfully disagree
    I found it really tedious as did my wife
    We really struggled to finish and when we did found the final episode underwhelming

I seem to be in the minority though to be fair. There are a lot more positive than negative reviews

It is tedious, it has all the ingredients of a really poor show, miscast characters, bad acting, boring and forgetful scenes, and as mentioned above such an underhelming ending. Can't fathom the acclaim its getting.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,315 ✭✭✭Sam Hain

appledrop wrote: »
    Everyone is different but I thought it was outstanding.

What I really liked was the parrell stories and showing cops view but also the victims.

I thought the way they showed the impact on victim Marie was so real + well thought out. Of course it was also based on true story + I'm a sucker for any drama based on that!

I also loved the fact that all the main characters were women for once.

So thats it. What was the point of the female detective with a face like a melted wellie who was part of the main investigative team? Possibly one of the most useless characters in TV history.

• Registered Users Posts: 48,132 ✭✭✭✭km79

Sam Hain wrote: »
    So thats it. What was the point of the female detective with a face like a melted wellie who was part of the main investigative team? Possibly one of the most useless characters in TV history.

And her voice
    Her drony voice

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,911 ✭✭✭cdgalwegian

Ad Vitam season 1
    In a future where regeneration technology lets humans live indefinitely, a cop and a troubled young woman investigate a strange wave of youth suicides.
    I've watched the first 3 episodes. Like many French series it's rather slow and low-key, but it's got some interesting things going on with decent acting. No r/v's on IMDb or RT, but other reviews say it gets more interesting as the episodes go on. I actually quite like the slow pace, given the contemplative nature of the conceit involved, and the slow reveals of some large nefarious goings-on, without any hints of any large-scale conspiracy, yet. It's intriguing, though it's pace might not be for all.

Advertisement