Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Applegreen own brand chargers

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 27,864 ✭✭✭✭TitianGerm

How 9ften do you need to use a public charger?

I've paid €33 for public charging this year and it was €42 last year. All the rest is at 10c night rates so for those very rare occasions I do need to pay for public charging I don't mind.

7.1L/100km is what my Golf used to do and my wife's Karoq was 7.5L/100km. Unfortunately both of those had to be filled at €1.50 a litre and that was before prices went mad.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,385 ✭✭✭Fingleberries

I'd use public charging as little as possible, lucky with a home charger and the options at work, but needs must on a road trip - 2-3 hour drive, don't necessarily want to take a 40 min detour to charge, if you can avoid it.

The funny thing is that I've taken the car on the ferry to UK twice and spent less using public charging in the UK (Holyhead to Manchester round trip, twice, plus driving around over there) than it cost me for the road trip yesterday.

• Registered Users Posts: 420 ✭✭Dubwat

Well, Paulstown will cost you nothing now because ALL chargers are off-line.

Thank god I charged in Dublin because there's basically nothing until Dungarvan, Co Waterford which is a SPOF itself!

Hopefully not a trend as they've been faulty the last 2/3 times I've used them :(

Never heard of Tinyrland (Junc. 5) but looks like it's in Carlow so 20km in wrong direction for me :(

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,788 ✭✭✭✭mfceiling

It's literally 1 minute off the N9. It's actually 2 junctions before you turn off for Paulstown if you are heading away from Dublin.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,958 ✭✭✭✭the_amazing_raisin

"The internet never fails to misremember" - Sebastian Ruiz, aka Frost

Thanks. I know where it is now that TitianGerm mentioned it.

It's not listed in Ecars, Applegreen or EasyGo. Plugshare has it but doesn't say what app is needed. Doesn't sound too reliable anyways.

Paulstown is back online according to the AG app.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,180 ✭✭✭k123456

I have used AG a couple of times, and thank God we have an alt to Ecars, which are un reliable , often occupied . I have a 28kwh Ioniq , left Sth Dublin with full "tank", travelled to Lough Ennel, near Mullingar. On way home, wanted to charge at EasyGo, Kinnegad Plaza, all two chargers there "out of order"

Next stop Appletree service station on N4, E lane , charger at Ecars occupied , AG not

AG easy to use and intuitive

It does cost a little more than Ecars, but it works

There was one clown with an EV , parked in AG spot,no cable plugged in , unfortunately, no much can be done about ignorance

Im open to correction , but I think Ecars charge slows down at 80%, and AG at 95%

• Registered Users Posts: 6,602 ✭✭✭zg3409

Normally the slow down is decided by the car, the car advertises the maximum power for that charge percentage, based on battery temperature and capabilities of battery and car etc. Then it's up to the charger to supply up to that power and typically for 50kW chargers that means most cars can take all 50kW much of the way to 80% and beyond. 150kW chargers many cars struggle to allow that much.

Some of the better can can pre warm the batteries and have heating and cooling to try keep the battery in the sweet spot for maximum speed meaning many teslas and EV6 can hit 150kW+ easily for large parts of the charge.

Some ESB chargers are 50 or 150kW but the supply maximum to the charger itself is less so they can never achieve their "headline" speed.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,115 ✭✭✭innrain

Planning permission sought for an upgrade including a number of EV charging units Fingal planning ref: FW23A/0162

Applegreen Service Station, St. Margaret's Road, Dubber, Co. Dublin, K67 KF77

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 15,028 Mod ✭✭✭✭AndyBoBandy

Interesting that the last 2 bays look larger than standard, presumable for vans etc... or maybe I'm seeing it wrong

Bit of an interesting/strange spot, kind of in the middle of nowhere while being close to the airport and Charlestown Shopping centre

I assume it's aiming to capture some of the airport traffic, M50 users and Finglas residents who don't have access to home charging

I'm surprised that Applegreen didn't go for somewhere inside the M50, but I think it's all Circle K inside the M50 in that area

Maybe they'll put chargers in the Applegreen Santry station as well, that would be North Dublin pretty well covered then

Either you're crazy or have way better eyesight than me 😂

I don't see bigger spaces, but it looks like the spaces at each end have dedicated chargers, whereas the middle 5 are shared units

So I wonder will there be higher powered chargers for those spaces, or will be they limited to 60kW or so 🤔

• Registered Users Posts: 8,474 ✭✭✭Red Silurian

I don't see it myself but my guess is that's an optical illusion caused by the diagonal lines on either side of the spaces

I just noticed the text mentions a canopy, I'll miss being rained on while waiting for the charger to start (not)

Actually it's probably a moot point since I live within 20km of that service station so it's unlikely I'll ever use it

Of course now that I've said it, I bet I'll mess up my charging calculations and end up needing a charge there 😂

• Registered Users Posts: 6,602 ✭✭✭zg3409

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 7,831 Mod ✭✭✭✭liamog

I can see them picking up a lot of Taxi business being close to the Airport

• Advertisement

Very expensive for a taxi driver to depend on. If in a pinch ePower from Radisson is better.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,474 ✭✭✭Red Silurian

Be nice if they (and other providers) offered a discounted unit rate for a modest monthly fee, it would help increase EV adoption for those who don't have a driveway...

Ecars isn't cheap and the Circle K in the airport seems to get a lot of taxis despite that

I imagine it won't be the first choice but will probably still get a fair bit of taxis because of location and the lower chance of queueing

It'd be a win for Applegreen as they'd pull in a lot of taxis on their break as well. I imagine something like an ID.4 taxi probably gets charged to 100% overnight and then charged over lunch up to 80% or so. With over 350km of range year round, I imagine that would cover multiple airport runs around the city per day

Appelgreen in 75c/kWh while on ePower/ESB I have 47c/kWh using elli. They also have the taxi only chargers which are 32c/kWh+30c session if they have airport rank access. Big difference for regular use.

• Registered Users Posts: 334 ✭✭vinniem

Can you only get 0.47c with Eli if you drive VW, Cupra etc?

I don't think thee is a restriction of brand with Elli. I signed up with Hyundai but I think others here did it with Tesla. They announced higher prices from this month but I see they have business pricing which are not that bad. For 6 quid a month 46c/kWh at DC and 56c/KWh at Ionity. I imagine all prices exVAT.

I think the price went up recently, but I agree it's a good bit more expensive if you're using regularly

I'm sure AG are going to bring out a subscription option at some point or go into a partnership with Elli and other MSPs

• Registered Users Posts: 334 ✭✭vinniem

Yeah I downloaded Eli app this morning and any ecar chargers I selected were all 0.82c/kw😲

I think it's 70c/kWh on the paid plan, which is probably worth it if you're a taxi driver but still a far cry from 47c/kWh

We charge are currently at 50c/kWh for the equivalent plan, so I guess the VW group taxis would probably still prefer Ecars

• Advertisement

Ah I didn't spot the business plan

Looks like the price is ex VAT, which presumably Taxi drivers don't pay on charging anyway

Advertisement