Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Applegreen own brand chargers

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,468 ✭✭✭eagerv

Yes it is very common, happens a lot at Ionity Cashel. But I don't get too upset if they are sitting in the car, at least they will move car (Hopefully) if you need to charge.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,791 ✭✭✭✭mfceiling

It's a huge problem. EV drivers thinking that a charger space is exclusively an EV parking space regardless of charging or not.

I've seen a model 3 quite regularly on golden lane in Dublin parked and not charging. I've seen a Prius parked on Mark St a few times.

Unfortunately people are just thick.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,439 ✭✭✭denismc

So has anyone actually got near 180 kW from the chargers at Castlebellingham?

I notice the chargers at Lusk are only showing up on the app as 60kW, I'm pretty these were 180kW upto to recently, 75c a kWh on a 60 kW charger is poor value imo.

• Registered Users Posts: 857 ✭✭✭Busman Paddy Lasty

Have been told by a service technician that the ESB charger has 100kW supply to it. Maybe Applegreen might have to kick them out or disconnect the eCars charger before allocating that power to their own units?

We'll have to wait and see.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,122 ✭✭✭innrain

Yeah 50 on DC and 50 on AC. There is no figure on how many Zoes are 43kW capable but I would imagine is tens. Outside of that wasted installed capacity

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,917 ✭✭✭RoadRunner

Are applegreen chargers actually switched on and enabled for irish ev customers yet? I tried to charge with them early in the year and had no success.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 15,092 Mod ✭✭✭✭AndyBoBandy

Yes. I’ve used Paulstown, and many others have used the other sites…

just check on PlugShare for recent check-in’s for a particular site.

Thanks @AndyBoBandy

Cheers going north for a night. Castlebellingham seems to have applegreen chargers. I might try drop up to the one in Lusk to verify that I can get applegreen charger to work an evening this week.

Did you just need the app on your phone to get it to work?

I used the Applegreen app, it's very similar to the ESB one, afaik it's possible to start the charger with a bank card although I haven't tried it myself.

I got 100kW at Castlebellingham a few weeks ago but I think Lusk is restricted to 60kW.

Edit, Castlebellingham currently showing up as unavailable\ out of order.

Also consider Ionity at City North, fast but it can be busy as there are only 2 chargepoints.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,066 ✭✭✭✭the_amazing_raisin

Another option might be the Maxol hub in Kinnegar, if you're heading up to Belfast

"The internet never fails to misremember" - Sebastian Ruiz, aka Frost

• Advertisement

I used the Applegreen app, as denismc says it’s very similar to the eCars app…

using the app also means you pay for what you use and they don’t take a €30 pre authorisation from you….

Have the app anyway even is using tap to pay as you can see the status of the chargers and if they are online or not..

Applegreen LemyBrien, Waterford (N25)

Chargers going in…

• Registered Users Posts: 4,468 ✭✭✭eagerv

A good location, always amazed me that there was nowhere to fast charge between Wexford and Cork, without detouring into a town with ECars spof.

Good spot for doing some scenic driving as well, head out of Waterford, do some coastal sightseeing, maybe grab some lunch then top up the car on the drive back

• Registered Users Posts: 857 ✭✭✭Busman Paddy Lasty

Did exactly that last year and pointed out here that would be a deadly spot for charging hub!

Mountains and the magic hill thing were great. Coast road between Dungarvan and Tramore is beautiful.

I wonder will they put another hub in near Wexford and that would be the southeast coast covered almost to Cork 🤔

Cheers, dropped over to the applegreen at ballymount last night, just to check I could get it to work. Had no issues. Just plugged in used the app and was pretty handy to be fair. Hoping now the applegreen castlebellingham chargers are working.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,681 ✭✭✭Red Silurian

That will be great to have another option in that area albeit a massively overpriced one... Think there's FCPs in the centers of Dungarvan and Waterford and there used to be one at the Applegreen in Waterford

• Registered Users Posts: 1,112 ✭✭✭sh81722

My wife used the AG Castlebellingham north this morning. She had to use a credit card as the app didn't work, but the fact the card worked was great.

Castlebellingham back in action according to the app.

• Advertisement

I’ll happily pay the AG rate if it means a near guaranteed charge without having to queue up.. and in fairness it only costs €0.068/kWh more than eCars charge for their HPC’s (on PayG), so over 50kWh it’s an extra €3.40….

eCars HPC;

AG;

theres only 1 FCP in Waterford city in Bolton St carpark, and its very busy, and the parking layout is a shitshow… usually requiring a 3-5 point turn to reverse into the spots…

But would you pay those rates if it meant dealing with that looney service station guy in Waterford? 😉

I wonder if he'd chance the picnic bench in front of the chargers again. I imagine Applegreen are a lot less forgiving as franchise owners than Ecars 🤔

Yeah the ecars rate is too expensive as well in my mind

Whoever installed the fcp in Waterford with that layout did the same trick in dungarvan

There's an AC point in dungarvan as well that either requires an awkward reversing movement to get in or out of depending on your cars charge port location

At the moment there is a desperation in Waterford county for fast charge points so the answer will likely be yes

The thing is with Paulstown now, I'd never have need to go to that place (I've never been before either)!!

Also thanks to Paulstown, on the 2-3 times a year I might visit my sister down in Waterford, I'll never have to consider the eCars disasters in Kilcullen & Bolton St, Waterford... (That convenience alone is worth any premium AG want to put on their chargers...)

At the moment there is a desperation in Waterford county

I remember posting in the eCars thread a good while back that Loughrea in Co. Galway has more FCP's than the entire county of Waterford... and I think it's still the case!! If that new proposed eCars site in Slieverue comes to pass then suddenly the county & city are looking much better off...

You have to give Applegreen credit as they are going for it with EV charging, and going for it big time (and I know they blocked eCars for ages etc.... but they clearly had their reason...), so fair fcuks to them I say.. They've gone from 1 site in Birdhill only a few months ago to 10 sites online now.. and all on motorway routes...

• Birdhill
    • Castlebellingham North
    • Castlebellingham South
    • Lusk North
    • Lusk South
    • Ballymount
    • Enfield East
    • Enfield West
    • Rathcoole
    • Coynes Cross
    • Paulstown

Waterford currently has 2 FCPs and back in January the council promised to be "facilitating a significant investment which will see 12 new fast EV charging points being delivered across the city and county during 2023"

Is a "point" referring to a location or a plug I wonder? 12 plugs is nothing to write home about but 12 locations would be impressive

Is it safe to assume Lemybrien will have 4 plugs and Slieverue will be an ESB 3 plug "hub" do you think?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,112 ✭✭✭sh81722

I'm sure it was mentioned here before: The AG Castlebellingham South is CCS only. The better half had to use a CHAdeMO car yesterday and unlike on the northbound leg there is only one ECars Chad on site. So it was situation like this:

1. Park at AG south, realise the AG charger is CCS only
    2. Drive to ECars where a CCS car is charging.
    3. No load sharing so wait. Another CCS car comes to queue soon after on the Ecars, still nobody using the AG.
    4. Keep looking at the empty Tesla/AG chargers with envy. 40 minutes later the 1st car is finished, plug in, the third car is still waiting as "not in a hurry".
    5. 30 minutes later we are finished and the 3rd car can then plug in.

I guess it's a price thing but I can't figure out why you'd choose to wait maybe extra 60 minutes + then most likely additional time for the charge itself due to 50 kW vs 75 kW max speed of AG vs ESB. The price difference is not that big in my opinion. The only sane explanation is that the CCS cars in question had some superduper cheap way to use the ESB, maybe ELLI.

Anyway, back to Tesla tomorrow morning after its buckled wheel has been repaired. Just in time for a drive to Wesht. Did anybody mention "Birdhill"?

• Registered Users Posts: 196 ✭✭UID0

I was at Castlebellingham South on Saturday and saw nearly the same thing, but worse for the Chademo user. There was a CCS car just finishing on the ecars charger, another CCS waiting to start and a chademo car queueing. I started on the AG charger and was there for about 15 minutes (only needed about 20kWh to make it home). The CCS car on the ecars charger finished at the same time as me (so could only have gotten about 10-12 kWh) and the chademo car plugged in. There was another CCS car had arrived at that point, and it was queueing for the ecars charger. I was the only person who used the AG charger. Are people scared of the AG chargers there, or is it a case of I'll queue for an hour to save €2/3?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,122 ✭✭✭innrain

Elli is cheaper (47c/kWh) on ESB DC but not that cheap to wait the guts of 1h. More likely a company car with a fuel card which does not include AG. (none does so far) and the driver paid subsistence per hour of travel.

• Advertisement

I was in Castlebellingham a few months ago, where there were 3 Tesla's using 3 of the 8 Superchargers, and another Tesla using the Cars CCS plug, while another CCS car and a Leaf were queuing up to use the eCars unit...

Maybe there was a genuine reason that the Tesla using the eCars unit couldn't use the supercharger... lease car or no credit card on account etc... but I thought it was a pretty **** sight to see..

and to make matters worse a Tesla that looked to be successfully charging on the Supercharger plugged out, went down and then plugged into the AC43 on the eCars unit!!

Advertisement