Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Applegreen own brand chargers

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,066 ✭✭✭✭the_amazing_raisin

We've no shortage of idiots is for sure

I suppose for the AG chargers, people might know about the Ecars chargers and not be aware of the Applegreen units, despite being literally across the road

They also might not be aware of the lack of Chademo charging there, or indeed know what a Chademo plug is at all

"The internet never fails to misremember" - Sebastian Ruiz, aka Frost

• Registered Users Posts: 6,641 ✭✭✭zg3409

I think it's probably ignorance, go with what you know, not having an account, app, worrying will it work, will other charger have a queue if you leave and try. Also with one way roads once at esb you probably need to do a full exit and return with higher risk someone will join esb queue. This will be solved when esb us evicted like at coyness cross. At coyness cross I have heard EV drivers avoid that sites as according to esb's app their us no chargers there. I promote plugshare app a lot as it shows all brands and what app to use etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,232 ✭✭✭loopymum

Lots of people haven't a clue about chargers at all.

I have posted previosly about going to a SPOF & an id3 charging on ac instead of ccs. They hadn't a clue. Didn't know how to remove the smaller plastic cap.

Was chatting at another charger & they didn't know that mayfield has loads of chargers. Had been queing at portlaoise plaza. Didn't know ionity existed & also thought they could use Tesla chargers is they downloaded the app.

I absolutely 100% agree, there's very little education out there for new owners, and half of them don't go around reading it

When my mum got her ID.3 I made sure to show her how to plug into a CCS charger and how to use the Ecars app and card. She'll likely never need it but at least if she ever does it won't be a total unknown to her

Similarly, a friend was asking me for advice for his parents who recently got an ID.4 and one thing I told them was to get Plugshare and ABRP and also try out using a public charger to get used to it

• Registered Users Posts: 8,681 ✭✭✭Red Silurian

Would you not have popped back on the motorway, down to the next junction, crossed over and gone to AG north for chademo? That's what I would have done

When Tesla opens to other cars (and it is a "when" not an "if") I assume they won't be chademo capable and probably will also be more expensive than ecars, taking our nearest neighbours for example is 62p or 73p/kWh (70-83c) for non-teslas

In short, these people who will queue for an hour to save €2-€3 will keep doing just that

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 15,092 Mod ✭✭✭✭AndyBoBandy

I assume they won't be chademo capable

I think it’s pretty much nailed on that Tesla won’t be retrofitting their extensive Supercharger network to support charging CHAdeMO enabled cars.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,122 ✭✭✭innrain

It's 10km N-S and 7 km S-N. For a Leaf that's a lot of motorway to drive for the same **** SPOF which may or may not be free. You're right SuC is CCS only and when opened the same persons that queue 90 mins at ecars with 2 AG chargers beside them will still queue at ecars with 2AG and 8 SuC beside them.

Regarding the know about the public charging, because my experience with this, I'm using public charging for the last 4 years and 2 months and I'm a technical person to begin with, my phone is constantly ringing with question about a charger or a provider. Getting calls like "I'm at such and such hotel and they have a black charger without cable. I plugged in and nothing happens can you help" are absolutely normal. I have friends who drive EVs for more that 4 years and never installed plugshare or AB on their phones. Sometimes they don't call unless they are in a pickle. "I'm at Doolin port. Google sent me to a charger but is behind a fence and it is locked. We had dinner at the hotel but we didn't charge there. Now I'm at 5% what should I do?". I accept that not everyone is cut for it and if you only think about public charging twice a year ....

It will help to have interoperability among major players. I know some would prefer credit card readers but personally I will not use my cc on a dodgy charger in the middle of nowhere. Aggregator apps like elii or plugsurfing would be the go to for the seldom users. Unfortunately manufactures do not provide these details even when it's thier own manufacturer app. How many vW driver don't know about wecharge/elli and so on.

They did retrofit CCS-1 adapters on their USA network to open it to the non-teslas there but yeah I fully agree. If they were going to support Chademo they would have done it already back when they opened the French/German/UK networks

Interoperability would be a great feature. One account for all networks on the island, either tap a card or plug and play! As it stands I carry 6-7 different cards with me, reducing that to one or zero would be great

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 7,860 Mod ✭✭✭✭liamog

Interoperability would be a great feature. One account for all networks on the island, either tap a card or plug and play! As it stands I carry 6-7 different cards with me, reducing that to one or zero would be great

There comes a time when government regulation is necessary, they should threaten to introduce a regulation requiring support for nfc payments (tap & pay) and integrations with mobility service providers on any charger over 50kW.

Nah, if the market calls for tap-to-pay it will be introduced but to sync all the systems up so that only one card/app is needed would need government or European level regulations

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,267 ✭✭✭markpb

There are already plenty of standards (like OCPI and OCPP) and systems (like Gireve and Hubject) that allow for interoperability between eMSPs and CPOs. Any lack of interoperability in Ireland is because the CPOs don’t want it. It might take a government or EU regulation to force them.

Customers called for Contactless EMV in the UK but CPOs didn’t want it so the government forced the issue there. It’s similar in the US but they linked compliance to grants.

Post edited by markpb on

• Registered Users Posts: 5,781 ✭✭✭eddhorse

Are people using the Applegreen Electric app or A.N Other?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,355 ✭✭✭wassie

+1 for the AG App as I need a receipt so I can claim the expense.

Yeah, App here. As easy to use as eCars, and billing the same as Tesla… hassle free.

Tried today to charge at applegreen birdhill on the way back from Dublin. The chademo on the Tritum unit (Birdhill 1) wouldn't start charging using app or credit card, kept telling me to plug the car in, while it was plugged in.

Managed to use the app to call the customer care who were able to do nothing at all for me and subsequently used the app to log a complaint so found the app rather useful for that purpose anyway and cost me nothing lol

• Moderators Posts: 12,371 ✭✭✭✭Black_Knight

M3 charging hub with 36 charging stations, fuel pumps, 2 restaurants and a shop. Now THAT'S a hub.

Don't get too excited, it'll probably be all 3kW AC chargers 😏

Jokes aside, that's great news, finally a decent hub in Ireland

It looks like Circle K might appeal to An Bord Pleanala, so it's not over yet

Also they have to build the thing, which could take years

Pretty standard for the compeition to appeal their competitors. Happens all the time with Supermarkets. Generally their grounds for appeal are fairly weak and are viewed in context of their vested interests. Community opposition would be more of a concern.

Yeah their argument seems pretty weak, Circle K are saying it'll somehow damage the vibrancy and character of Dunsaughlin

I've been to Dunsaughlin, and while it's not exactly the hub of culture, I think they could afford to lose their petrol station and retain as much character as they currently have

And I kinda doubt it'll take a huge amount of business away from the town, it's not like people would be going there for a charging hub 😏

So yeah, hopefully the appeal gets thrown out

Layout looks good. Great option for those heading into Dublin for the day from up north - avoids the need for playing charging lottery when in the city.

Super quick access off the M3 also.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 7,860 Mod ✭✭✭✭liamog

Remains to be seen, if it turns into 36 green painted spaces with 3 CCS and 1 CHAdeMO cable like other AG sites then it's no better than any of the other operators.

From the planning report:

The proposed development far exceeds the minimum standards in respect of EV charging provision and accommodates 36 no. DC fast charge points at designated parking bays in the centre of the site.

The report also notes a canopy over the EV charging area with PV panels located on top.

My reading of the application is that there are issues surrounding the existing zoning and that the application relies heavily on the EV component to demonstrate compliance with the Climate Action Plan 2021 (CAP 2021).

A review of the ESB charge point map8 revealed that there are currently no EV charging points provided in the vicinity of the M3 to the north of the single charging point currently provided in the Irish Rail car park at Junction 5 (Dunboyne). As such, motorway users currently have nowhere to charge their EV’s between Dunshaughlin and Kells which undermines the Climate Action Plan requirement for an increased charging network to meet demand and bolster customer confidence.

The subject site is ideally located to deliver much needed EV charging points and services for drivers in the vicinity of the M3. The proposed development accommodates 36 no. dedicated EV charging points. Providing EV charging points at this location supports the Climate Action Plan targets for an expanded and reliable EV charging network, which is critical if customers are to switch to EV’s as required under this Action Plan.

Essentially if they don't provide these, then they will not be in compliance with their planning approval.

However its worth noting CAP2021 Design guidelines only require "One DC electric vehicle fast charge point, capable of delivering 50kW". So in this context, it would be reasonable to assume that a fast charge point is a 50kW DC at a minimum. Commercially and futureproofing, it would seem to make sense to have higher powered units.

This leads on to the biggest challenge I suspect to delivering the EV component of this development. That is the capcity of ESB Networks to supply power. I have no idea what electricity infrastructure is like in this area.

We're all a bit jaded aren't we 😉

I'm pretty sure they aren't going to have all the spaces installed at opening, but I'm hoping I'll be wrong.

Given the layout we say at Ballymount, it's quite possible they'll have a decent number of chargers going from day one

• Moderators Posts: 12,371 ✭✭✭✭Black_Knight

Given this, they should only install 1 CHAdeMO charger. 55 minutes of CHAdeMO usage this Monday. Vs 2465 CCS

it would seem to make sense to have higher powered units.

I assume the thinking is that if you have lower powered units people might stop in for food or coffee, where profit margins can be huge, while charging. On higher powered units drivers tend to wait in the car and move on as soon as possible

Given their other sites to date, I think it's safe to assume there will be some degree of load sharing among the chargers, 120kW split across two plugs for example

In general I think there's some leeway allowed from planning authorities for facilities to be added over time. For example in my housing estate there was some debate over one of the pedestrian entrances not exactly matching the planning diagrams, but they weren't forced to halt construction of additional houses

So they could open with fewer chargers and presumably as long as they're added before the planning permission expires then it's okay

I disagree, I'd say whether or not drivers are going to use the facilities is independent of charging speed

Unless you're charging for 5 mins or less than I'm pretty confident there's time to go to the bathroom or grab a coffee and food

So if someone is waiting in the car it's more likely because they don't need or want to avail of the facilities. Faster or slower charging isn't likely to change that

I agree 100% the objective is to sell more stuff from the shop, hence the lure of a huge charging hub to pull in customers. But there's also a certain turnover that's ideal for those types of fast food restaurants

Consider for example if every car sat for an hour charging and every single car also buys a coffee and food, but only once and the same amount each time

In an hour you'd serve 36 customers, but if every car charged for 20 mins you'd serve 108 customers

So there's also an incentive there to make the charging reasonably fast

Depends on what a driver wants or needs... If you need a quick coffee and the jacks yeah definitely 5 mins tops... If you need lunch though you're talking about 40 mins. A lot of motorway service areas have showers for a reason and that's because they expect some people to stay for up to an hour

Agreed, 20 minutes is a good sweet-spot to have a decent catchment

Anyone with their card details on their Applegreen account will have to re-input their card details after May 24th…

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,391 ✭✭✭Fingleberries

Used these yesterday for the first time, and I'm a bit conflicted.

On the one hand, it's great to see public networks getting larger, they were so useful on our trip (north Dublin to Waterford, with three adult bikes in tow) - stopped in on M9 Junction 7.

But, on the other hand, man it's expensive to use them. I spent almost as much on EV charging as I would have to fill my old Auris on the same journey €52 for two EV charging sessions, compared to about €60 on unleaded for the Auris).

If I'd planned a bit better, I could have maybe spent less, but it was the first long trip with the bikes (motorway ~110km/h most of the way, averaged about 225wh/km - compared to 145-155) and went for the most direct route. You live and learn, eh?

Advertisement