Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Current affairs in Sweden

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,707 ✭✭✭Bobblehats

It's what the media themselves have been calling them, albeit in a positive light.

Dunno why the media doesn't just call them 'Irish', am I 'old Irish' then?

Afro Irish. That’s when they’re settled enough and have multiplied and spread out “far and wide“ across our twee little land :) meanwhile those “new irish” will continue to be granted citizenship.

• Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 75,718 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

For those who don't know, "New Irish" means black immigrants. It's a racist dog whistle.

That may be your personal interpretation, but I've searched the term to check, and the common acceptance appears to be those who have moved to Ireland and indeed put their roots here, without reference to race (see, for example, this recent press article using the term)

Rather than acting as judge and jury yourself, leave this sort of comment to the mods to have a look at, as that can hopefully prevent any misunderstandings spreading

If anyone has any questions, please drop me a PM, as this thread should not go off-topic in discussing such things

Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 81,223 ✭✭✭✭biko

Another government scandal.
    Sweden’s Ministry of Justice pressured the country’s Crime Prevention Council to hide, manipulate, or ignore potentially embarrassing crime statistics, a university study has found.
    https://www.rt.com/news/476568-sweden-manipulates-crime-statistics/
    https://www.expressen.se/nyheter/rapport-bra-andrar-i-forskningsresultaten/

After the scandal where the Iraq minister of defence turned out to be getting welfare in Sweden although he didn't even live there.

It's now time for Razaq Ahmadzai, politician in Afghanistan, also a welfare beneficiary in Sweden, while living in a villa at home in Kabul and being a powerful politician.

Still only in Swedish from the same paper that exposed the Iraqi minister.
    https://www.friatider.se/razaq-58-vann-afghanska-valet-g-r-samtidigt-p-bidrag-som-razag-63-i-g-teborg

Europe, and Sweden, and COVID19

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 94 ✭✭randoplh134

JohnMc1 wrote: »
    Sweden? What's a Sweden? Oh. You mean Swedenstan?

He has a point, place has gone to the dogs thanks to reckless unrestricted immigration policies.

https://blog.duolingo.com/which-countries-study-which-languages-and-what-can-we-learn-from-it/#fn:courses
    Duolingo’s Swedish course turns out to be the most popular in Sweden itself: 27% of all users in Sweden are learning Swedish.

Why would that be the case? Immigration to Sweden has been skyrocketing in recent years: one in six Swedish residents in 2015 was born outside of Sweden. The fastest growing foreign-born groups are from Syria and Afghanistan, reflecting a recent increase in the refugee population. Duolingo recently released a Swedish course for Arabic speakers, which will hopefully help!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,842 ✭✭✭Don't Chute!

biko wrote: »

Wow you really do have a GIGANTIC chip on your shoulder about Sweden don’t you? What’s the agenda? What did they do to you?

• Registered Users Posts: 288 ✭✭Slowyourrole

No doubt you would whinging if they couldn't speak the local language.

With so much focus on Sweden's attempts at handling of Corona it's easy to forget what else happens.

Wilma 17yo, killed and decapitated by 23yo ex-boyfriend, who kept her head in a suitcase. https://metro.co.uk/2020/05/19/girl-17-decapitated-boyfriend-ended-relationship-12723956/

Paolo Roberto, celebrity and boxer, ostracized - his job at Swedish Television cancelled, his books removed from libraries, his famous pasta sauces removed from shops.
    Why? Because he was caught with a prostitute.

The government is now speeding through a law to make buying sex punished by prison time, always.
    Maybe that's ok with some but tbh it's just plain overreacting and overkill cancel culture.

• Advertisement

https://www.languagemagazine.com/2018/06/29/arabic-becomes-swedens-second-language/
    https://www.svd.se/arabiska-sveriges-nast-storsta-modersmal/av/mikael-parkvall
    For over 800 years, Finnish has been Sweden’s largest minority language, but, thanks to the recent influx of asylum seekers from predominantly Arab-speaking countries in the Middle East and North Africa, Arabic has now replaced Finnish

How does this affect you in any way? The massive anti Sweden chip on your shoulder just gets bigger and bigger.

Wow you really do have a GIGANTIC chip on your shoulder about Sweden don’t you? What’s the agenda? What did they do to you?
    How does this affect you in any way? The massive anti Sweden chip on your shoulder just gets bigger and bigger.
    Are you going to contribute or just keep whining?

Are you going to contribute or just keep whining?

What do you think you are achieving with all this bull****? Just constantly putting up links to things happening in a country you’ve probably never even been to. Why not post the good things that happen there? Suppose it doesn’t fit the narrative though does it?
    You are constantly telling us that Sweden is in big trouble or finished as a country. It’s absolutely absurd! I don’t know what caused your hatred for the country, maybe you were shot down by a Swedish girl? Ex girlfriend ran away with a Swedish man? Maybe you just can’t get your head around IKEA furniture? Whatever it was you need to let it go.

• Registered Users Posts: 271 ✭✭Madeleine Birchfield

Compared to the United States and the United Kingdom, Sweden is doing much better.

I'm not sure why this is an issue.
    Firstly, only Finnish people speak Finnish, they have a very small population & so therefore, not hundreds of thousands of emigrants.
    Arabic in the other hand, is spoken widely by at least 25 countries.

• Registered Users Posts: 524 ✭✭✭DelaneyIn

bubblypop wrote: »
    I'm not sure why this is an issue.
    Firstly, only Finnish people speak Finnish, they have a very small population & so therefore, not hundreds of thousands of emigrants.
    Arabic in the other hand, is spoken widely by at least 25 countries.

There are almost 470,000 people who speak or understand Finnish or Meänkieli, which was about 5.2% of the population of Sweden. Finland is Sweden’s next door neighbours.

Arabic is a language not even native to this continent. If you can’t see why this is a surprising change in such a short period of time; you’re either being willingly obtuse or you are not the sharpest.

Either or.

DelaneyIn wrote: »
    There are almost 470,000 people who speak or understand Finnish or Meänkieli, which was about 5.2% of the population of Sweden. Finland is Sweden’s next door neighbours.

Arabic is a language not even native to this continent. If you can’t see why this is a surprising change in such a short period of time; you’re either being willingly obtuse or you are not the sharpest.

Either or.

Arabic was once a language spoken in Europe for 700 years straight, but they were kicked out of Europe in the 1400s.

DelaneyIn wrote: »

Either or.

I know where Finland is thanks, I spend plenty of time there
    I didn't say it wasn't surprising, I said I don't know why this is an issue

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,489 ✭✭✭Yamanoto

bubblypop wrote: »
    I didn't say it wasn't surprising, I said I don't know why this is an issue

Because it's another clear indicator of a seismic demographic shift over an extremely short space of time. That requires planning. Planning costs Krona.

Leaving aside the wider sociological consequences of such a sea change, there are cost implications for both migrants and the native population in accomodating many many thousands of newcomers, who most likely will never attain a level of competency in Swedish, but will interact with the apparatus of the State at all levels until they die.

If there is a reticence at State level to properly garner statistics on language (for fear that mapping changes in language may also map changes in ethnicity) then that's a craven derogation of duty by government - which common sense alone should tell you is most certainly an issue.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,187 ✭✭✭FVP3

Arabic was once a language spoken in Europe for 700 years straight, but they were kicked out of Europe in the 1400s.

Arabic still wasn't native to Europe as it was brought in by imperialistic invaders.

FVP3 wrote: »
    Arabic still wasn't native to Europe as it was brought in by imperialistic invaders.

Neither was Hungarian native to Europe as it was brought in by imperialistic pagan invaders in the 800s and 900s whose original homeland were near the Ural Mountains. The difference was that the Hungarians converted to Christianity while the Arabs didn't and were kicked out.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,586 ✭✭✭4068ac1elhodqr

By 2050 there is chance that up to 30% of Sweden will speak (or be able {or even choose} to speak) Arabic.
    20.5% is the more likely 'medium' type scenario, which is still a ratio of 1:5.
    https://www.pewforum.org/2017/11/29/europes-growing-muslim-population/

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,187 ✭✭✭FVP3

Neither was Hungarian native to Europe as it was brought in by imperialistic pagan invaders in the 800s and 900s whose original homeland were near the Ural Mountains. The difference was that the Hungarians converted to Christianity while the Arabs didn't and were kicked out.

yeh, cool story. I'll look that up. And of course near the Ural mountains could be Europe and invaders rarely eliminate original populations, although they can change them. It seems like a diversion though.

The argument about immigration into Europe, which is basically a neo-liberal argument, should stand on the merits of its economic or social costs or benefits alone. Arguments to the past are pretty useless as nearly all previous mass migrations were invaders, and the result wasn't good in the main for the original population.

For instance people who say the Britain is a nation of immigrants ( which is just a copy of the American worldview) often cite the Romans, Anglo Saxons, Vikings, Normans, and so on. Bad argument. The Romans invaded and changed the culture to a Latin culture over centuries, destroying the old society. The Anglo Saxons culturally eliminated that society in its turn in England. The Vikings pillaged the place for centuries and occupied much of England as an empire for a generation or two, and after the English defeat of the vikings and on the same day, the Normans invaded and changed the culture for centuries. Although eventually the English language won out, it was a much changed language and culture.

This isnt really the kind of argument to make if you think that immigration is a benign addition to the existing culture.

The perpetrator was in court recently for kicking the bus driver in the head multiple times.
    Liyon Tesfagaber, 17, from Eritrea, claims the driver of the bus, Samir Tahir, started the fight.
    If Liyon was an adult he would have been jailed but because he's still a child legally he gets juvenile care.

• Registered Users Posts: 241 ✭✭excludedbin

Just in case anyone's in doubt, https://sv.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fria_Tider
    Free Times describes itself as a liberal conservative and states that it draws inspiration from paleoconservatism and paleolibertarianism . The newspaper is classified in a report published by the Swedish Media Council as "part of the radical right-wing populist online environment" and is considered to have an obvious racist , xenophobic and Islamophobic content.
    Just keep in mind who's pushing these stories and whether you're getting the whole story before passing judgement.

Is anything reported incorrect, or do you have contradicting information from your own sources?

I just wanted to be sure people had all the facts before passing judgement. Being aware of a source's biases is a good thing, no?

Sure, feel free to add facts, should you have any, to anything I have reported above.

Did your own sources bring up the attack on the bus driver? If not, why not?

• Advertisement

Was there anything not factual in what I linked? I'm not here to contribute sources of my own, I'm afraid I don't spend my time looking for instances of crimes committed by immigrants or asylum seekers. I just think it's important people have all the facts pertaining to this matter before they pass judgement, as I said.

Advertisement