Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Would you buy beside social housing?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,812 ✭✭✭✭sbsquarepants

There's also an enormous amount of wasters looking to blame everyone but themselves for their shítty behaviour and choices.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,967 ✭✭✭✭Wanderer78

There's also an enormous amount of wasters looking to blame everyone but themselves for their shítty behaviour and choices.

some astonishingly ignorant posts on this site regarding complex social issues

• Closed Accounts Posts: 91 ✭✭Sagats_knee

Of course you did.

Come back to me after you’ve lived in Darndale or Ballymun for a few years.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 727 ✭✭✭InTheShadows

Wanderer78 wrote: »

Real bang of Trumpism off a lot of posters tbh. Everything to them is black or white, no grey.

• Registered Users Posts: 23 OutOfMyMind18

I’ve lived in the same house since the day I was born. It was a council house. Two years ago I bought it off the council.
    Nearly every house on this road is a council house and all the neighbours look out for each other.
    There is one house that gets on my wick (council tenant) but that’s one house out of 30.

The road that runs past my house, there are a lot more dodge tenants there and are typical skangers and annoying. Was once tempted to report one of them to the council but decided against it just incase they found out I reported and they smashed the windows in.

Not all council tenants are the same.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,875 ✭✭✭Edgware

Wanderer78 wrote: »
    You call it ignorant but its true. Life is too short to have to put up with dirtbirds and scrougers next door.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 91 ✭✭Sagats_knee

I’ve lived in the same house since the day I was born. It was a council house. Two years ago I bought it off the council.
    Nearly every house on this road is a council house and all the neighbours look out for each other.
    There is one house that gets on my wick (council tenant) but that’s one house out of 30.

The road that runs past my house, there are a lot more dodge tenants there and are typical skangers and annoying. Was once tempted to report one of them to the council but decided against it just incase they found out I reported and they smashed the windows in.

Not all council tenants are the same.

Absolutely nobody here said that all council tenants are the same.

What is being said, and what people are refusing to listen to, is that the ratio of anti social scummer to decent person is greater in council estates.

I’ve lived through great times and bad times in council estates, most of my best friends and relatives grew up in them too, but that doesn’t mean we’re not all glad to be away from the chaos and madness that entailed.

When it comes to the question in the OP, it’s a perfectly valid and fair answer for many people to say no, I would not buy in or next to a council estate.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,795 ✭✭✭mrslancaster

Mad_maxx wrote: »
    The notion that people from poor backgrounds need to be house trained by the middle class is deeply condescending yet that is now the received wisdom

Agree, so many snobby and patronising people who think less well off people don't know how to behave. Sure there are some bad apples who can give an area a bad name but the majority of people are not like that.

we lived in an older council estate for years with no problems, we had lovely neighbours and great community. We moved to a bigger house in a private estate and one big difference we noticed was the amount of greenery in the gardens. There was a lot of park areas in the council estate but individual gardens were a bit bare. It was a big contrast.

No big difference in the people though.:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,817 ✭✭✭Raconteuse

Absolutely nobody here said that all council tenants are the same.
    They never do, but it doesn't stop people lying that they do though.

If you have to resort to dishonesty, you're already wrong and you know it.

The majority of people who live in council housing are not scumbags, and they're the ones who have to put up with the minority of folk with the power to terrorise the whole estate.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,825 ✭✭✭LirW

Bought in a small village council estate as blow ins. Around 60% are owned by the council but the area is very settled and the tenants are long term.
    Now I believe the dynamic here is a lot different though. As an example in the beginning of this year the council moved in an addict with several convictions, someone who really has proper issues. They lasted two months and never used the unit because they hated it here. The community is tightly knit, you depend on a car because there's exactly one shop here where they aren't allowed in. We don't have police in the village. There was no support system for someone who is addicted and a troublemaker so they went themselves and stayed with people they knew in the next village over that's a lot bigger.
    So if people make you feel welcome and you as a troublemaker have to tiptoe around them, it makes sense to go elsewhere because once something happens people will be into you.
    Also locals get favourable treatment, the unemployment rate is high, many get paid under the threshold so they qualify for housing.

But to get back to the question: it depends on the area. I wouldn't move to an area that's riddled with problems. I would not have a problem living next door to a council unit as I currently do given the area is settled and quiet and so are the neighbours. Of course first I'll do my research.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,664 ✭✭✭✭maccored

i wouldnt live in an estate tbh - did once, never again and it had nothing to do with social housing

• Registered Users Posts: 7,725 ✭✭✭Bluefoam

A friend of mine just moved into a really nice new estate with big houses and good schools around... the kind of thing you should be thinking about when you are at a certain stage of life...

However, there a small amount of kids in the estate who are unable to behave in any kind of reasonable manner. THey are destroying newly built paths, playgrounds, signage & bridges. The latest news is that one of them took out a gun and put it to another childs head. The residents are affraid to let their kids out in case they come under the influence of these little ****s. The parents of the kids in question are now intimidating and threatening the other residents.

Yes they are only a small portion of the community, but they are in reciept of social housing in a buy to live community. This small element have caused serious heartache for allot of people who worked incredibly hard to get where they are... Those people don't deserve this.

The problem is, that even though lots of good people get social housing, so do gangsters, drug dealers, thugs, ****heads and scumbags... you cannot guaruntee that none of those will end up living next to you...

• Registered Users Posts: 5,942 ✭✭✭topper75

listermint wrote: »
    Grew up in social housing.

Am I a bad person?

Must be my degree and my wife's degree and our top rate tax jobs that make us bad.

Oh she grew up in social housing too. We own our own place now as do our parents. ...

To paraphrase Chris Rock:

"Social housing people always want credit for some **** they’re supposed to do. They’ll brag about stuff a normal man just does. They’ll say something like, ‘Yeah, well, I take care of my kids.’ You’re supposed to, you dumb motherf***er. ‘I ain’t never been to jail.’ What do you want? A cookie? You’re not supposed to go to jail, you low-expectation-having motherf***er."

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 15,230 Mod ✭✭✭✭FutureGuy

I wouldn't and I am not apologetic about the fact.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,033 ✭✭✭✭Richard Hillman

I live in an area of social housing, including my own estate. These were built in the 60s and were filled with genuine working class people.

About 5-10 years ago, the council built 2 smallish estates in the area for social housing and the place went down the ****ter very quickly.

Social housing now is being built for the welfare classes and not the working class. They are putting the absolute dregs into them. The ones that go down to the county council every week and kick up a fuss about why they haven't got their forever home yet. Not exactly great neighbours to have as they attract drama, and their little angels can do no wrong.

There is a little agreement between ourselves and the 2 neighbours. One set of neighbours are very old (in their 90s) and the other one is in her 60s. If the house is ever sold by their inhertees, do not sell it to the council. Because we know exactly what sort of neighbours were going to get.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,653 ✭✭✭AulWan

I live in an area of social housing, including my own estate. These were built in the 60s and were filled with genuine working class people.

About 5-10 years ago, the council built 2 smallish estates in the area for social housing and the place went down the ****ter very quickly.

Social housing now is being built for the welfare classes and not the working class. They are putting the absolute dregs into them. The ones that go down to the county council every week and kick up a fuss about why they haven't got their forever home yet. Not exactly great neighbours to have as they attract drama, and their little angels can do no wrong.

There is a little agreement between ourselves and the 2 neighbours. One set of neighbours are very old (in their 90s) and the other one is in her 60s. If the house is ever sold by their inhertees, do not sell it to the council. Because we know exactly what sort of neighbours were going to get.

The house next door to me was sold to the council.

They refurbished it and I now have an elderly couple (60s) who are council tenants, and couldn't be nicer people, and are much nicer and easier to live beside then the cantakerous old bastrd who owned it before them that tried to poison my dog.

You really shouldn't make such sweeping generalisations about people in advance.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 667 ✭✭✭lola85

Message is simple.

Mess in school, do nothing of note, fail your exams, drop out.

You will get the same house as the person who listened, studied, put hard work in, went to college and paid their way through.

All for a measly few euro a week to the council.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 62 ✭✭Ralph Ciffereto

To be fair any one buying a house in a new development for under (IIRC) 400k will have a social house within spitting distance unless the developer lumps their Part V bits in a bundle together or on a different site entirely. Where I currently live is a 60s/ 70s built social estate and has about the same percentage still council (15 to 20 on average)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,942 ✭✭✭topper75

These places would actually work really well in a veritable 'police state' with huge prison space and an honest judiciary i.e. the opposite of 2019 Ireland.

I grew up, not in one, but right next to one and half my pals lived in there. They had council-built playing pitches and we had none so I spend all my free childhood time there. The late 60s/early 70s build quality was fine, even if they weren't spacious. Majority of people A1. It's the lack of deterrent for the admittedly small numbers of scum - that is the let down.

IF I know I can get rapid police action against bad behaviour and feel safe, I would buy beside social housing every time. If not, then no.

• Registered Users Posts: 888 ✭✭✭fmpisces

I live in social housing myself. I work and all that goes with it. I'm a decent person, and a great tenant (even if I do say so myself). Anywhere I've lived I've always respected my neighbours and looked after the upkeep of my home. That's what decent people do. Unfortunately, not everyone is decent. Social housing has nothing to do with that, you're either a sh1te person or you're not.

Would I buy my home? Would I hell. It's not Ballymun but it's not a decent estate either. There's a handful of tenants who just fcekin ruin it for everyone else (and two of them live either side of me). If I were buying a house tomorrow I wouldn't rule out a social housing area no more than any other. It's the people in it that matter; mostly the one's either side of you. That's how I feel about it anyway.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,928 ✭✭✭✭Thelonious Monk

I bought a few years ago in old corpo gafs. Some of my neighbours are on welfare I would assume. They're all lovely though. And it's easy to buy weed and coke!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,568 ✭✭✭Chinasea

Problem is there is no Tenant agreement enforcement. No follow up from the useless County Council should their tenants not adhere to the agreement they signed up for.

There is millions of unpaid rent currently
    owed. (Ridiculous low and all as it is.) Walk through any Social Housing estate and take a look at the absolute state of the exterior to many of the houses. Farcical.

House working people only.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,928 ✭✭✭✭Thelonious Monk

Chinasea wrote: »

And do what with the non working people?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,208 ✭✭✭LuasSimon

AulWan wrote: »
    The house next door to me was sold to the council.

They refurbished it and I now have an elderly couple (60s) who are council tenants, and couldn't be nicer people, and are much nicer and easier to live beside then the cantakerous old bastrd who owned it before them that tried to poison my dog.

You really shouldn't make such sweeping generalisations about people in advance.

You were extremely lucky ... one time in a council estate you were nearly guaranteed a decent family with a work ethos nowadays there’s a strong chance you’ll get someone who doesn’t or never worked only sponging off the state and contribute nothing only grief to those living near them ...

Problem is there is no Tenant agreement enforcement. No follow up from the useless County Council should their tenants not adhere to the agreement they signed up for.

There is millions of unpaid rent currently
    owed. (Ridiculous low and all as it is.) Walk through any Social Housing estate and take a look at the absolute state of the exterior to many of the houses. Farcical.

I agree 100%. Social housing is an important aspect of any society and vital to our economy as not everyone is on massive wages and can afford a mortgage and we can't pay everyone brilliant wages. Problem is where do we house the workshy scummers who refuse to contribute to our collective good? They drag the majority of decent people who live in social housing down with them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,653 ✭✭✭AulWan

What happens if they lose their job? Or become too ill to work?

Kick 'em out?

• Registered Users Posts: 44 Fr. Pat Noise

You’d be mad to buy anywhere near social housing. Living beside a load of deadbeats who’ll remind you every day what a mug you are for working hard, saving and buying your own house and then having to pay a big mortgage every month.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,625 ✭✭✭✭Leg End Reject

The problem with social housing is that you could end up next door to the minority antisocial stereotype that everyone has heard of.

Social housing will always be needed - lower income, single parent, separated parent, those on disability etc.need affordable housing. It's the work-shy, criminal and scumbag brigade that ruin it for everyone.

There are genuine, decent and hard working people who are forced to put up with that.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 91 ✭✭interactive

Social housing has 90% decent hard working people living there
    But the other 10%.........
    well there is your problem

• Advertisement

The problem with social housing is that you could end up next door to the minority antisocial stereotype that everyone has heard of.

Social housing will always be needed - lower income, single parent, separated parent, those on disability etc.need affordable housing. It's the work-shy, criminal and scumbag brigade that ruin it for everyone.

There are genuine, decent and hard working people who are forced to put up with that.

The vast vast majority are decent people tbh it's a tiny scummer element that ruins it for the others and a limp wristed justice system and police force who don't operate for that decent majority.

Of course that doesn't stop knobhead toffs from looking down their noses at everyone in social housing.

Advertisement