Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

[Cancelled] Electric Picnic 2020 **Discussion Only // No Ticket Sales / Requests **

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,539 ✭✭✭ghostdancer

Seathrun66 wrote: »
    RATM definitely not.

Run the Jewels yes.

The other three are young Irish bands, two of whom have only been gigging for less than 3 years, the others a local Athy band whose debut was 2.5 years ago.

so:
    Yes x 4
    No x 1

• Registered Users Posts: 986 ✭✭✭kg703

Ugh, I caved and added myself to the toutless crowd.... didn’t go last year and went to ATN. Enjoyed it but wouldn’t be pushed enough to go back. When RATM were announced the fomo started and now I’m convinced the line up will be awesome..... no three picnics price tickets of course but .... i think it’s gonna be a good one

• Registered Users Posts: 8,333 ✭✭✭Seathrun66

It's their first big name release though, surely they'll be doing the usual festival thingy of 2nd announcement to add and pad.

If I'm right most of their stuff was in the main announcement for the first two fests? Happy to be corrected.

And btw Sinead O'Connor is in amazing form with her new young band. That'll be a bit special.

Not too sure about this one

Which one?

I hear what you're saying, yes.

I think it's a bit harsh on ATN to be honest. They are in their 3rd year and have announced the first set of artists for this year. I feel that there's really only a certain number of (fixed) big acts in the world, all of whom journey from festival to festival. It's very, very difficult for a festival to have the first airing of a new "big" act. Remember that EP are doing this a lot longer, so the chances of an ATN act reappearing at EP are far less than an EP act reappearing at ATN ;)

Factor in the difference in attendance numbers, which translates to revenue, and it becomes evident that the chances are minimised in attracting bigger, newer acts.

I agree that EP does find some great under headliners, but I believe that ATN is doing that too, albeit on a smaller scale, relative to its size and budget.

I wouldn't like to think that just because a band has played here before, and they're chosen to play a festival, that that is always a regressive step.

I think ATN are doing a great job. :)

I agree re the quality of acts per budget. 2019 very good but personally both 2018 and 2020 I find bland.

My main point is regarding the lack of adventure in their curation. That could surely improve, they certainly should be taking some risks?

And in terms of them being new aren't these the same promoters who were running EP for years under Reynolds and now into their third year of ATN? For a comparison look at the lineup for EP 2006 with roughly the same capacity. The difference is immense.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 657 ✭✭✭sally cinnamon89

I agree re the quality of acts per budget. 2019 very good but personally both 2018 and 2020 I find bland.

My main point is regarding the lack of adventure in their curation. That could surely improve, they certainly should be taking some risks?

And in terms of them being new aren't these the same promoters who were running EP for years under Reynolds and now into their third year of ATN? For a comparison look at the lineup for EP 2006 with roughly the same capacity. The difference is immense.

30,000 for EP2006 - so quite close. ATN at 20,00 this year. But I take your point

so:
    Yes x 4
    No x 1

Three of which are new young Irish acts playing a couple of festivals a year. Not relevant to the staleness argument.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,746 ✭✭✭BullBlackNova

Can rule out the Black Keys anyway - a few had suggested them as a potential headline act for this but they've just announced a US tour from July to September, including EP weekend.

https://pitchfork.com/news/the-black-keys-announce-tour-with-gary-clark-jr/?utm_brand=p4k&utm_medium=social&utm_source=twitter&mbid=social_twitter&utm_social-type=owned

• Registered Users Posts: 1,607 ✭✭✭rubick

Pet Shop Boys and New Order touring North America from 5th September.
    The swines.

http://www.neworder.com/

30,000 for EP2006 - so quite close. ATN at 20,00 this year. But I take your point

22,500 for ATN this year. Three quarters of the size of EP 2006 but nowhere near three quarters of the great acts.

Massive Attack. Elbow, Basement Jaxx, Pet Shop Boys, Anthony & "the Johnson, New Order, Damien Rice, Blue Nile, Super Furry Animals, Gary Numan, Yeah Yeah Yeahs, Sparks, PJ Harvey, etc, etc.

The same people could be a bit more eclectic now. But I also understand that they're now competing for acts against a festival that's three times their size. And that can't be easy.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 218 ✭✭fish_fingers

22,500 for ATN this year. Three quarters of the size of EP 2006 but nowhere near three quarters of the great acts.

Massive Attack. Elbow, Basement Jaxx, Pet Shop Boys, Anthony & "the Johnson, New Order, Damien Rice, Blue Nile, Super Furry Animals, Gary Numan, Yeah Yeah Yeahs, Sparks, PJ Harvey, etc, etc.

The same people could be a bit more eclectic now. But I also understand that they're now competing for acts against a festival that's three times their size. And that can't be easy.

There's a possibility that in 2034 (frightening) some of the performers listed today will be looked on in a wistful way as acts that were once pioneering :)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,539 ✭✭✭ghostdancer

Three of which are new young Irish acts playing a couple of festivals a year. Not relevant to the staleness argument.
    there was no mention of staleness until you brought it up afterwards. it was about acts playing EP before:
    Very little on that ATN lineup gives me any regret for not picking up a ticket. Once again it appears to be a collection of ex-EP acts and is generally pretty unadventurous.

However, we're I there I'd enjoy myself. Iggy reliable great, King Gizzard I'd love to see, Girl Band a coup. And some good young acts.

FR may have snapped up most of the best acts out there this year. Given the general mediocrity of Summer festival bookings could this be a really special EP announcement on the way?
    So what's certain, or near-certain, for EP?

Rage Against the Machine
    Run the Jewels
    Fontaines DC
    The Murder Capital
    Picture This
    Seathrun66, are most of these not ex-EP acts too? :);)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,468 ✭✭✭Ferris_Bueller

I'm very interested to see what FR have up their sleeves for EP.

Obviously it's all related to taste, but there is no single Wow! line-up out there for this summer anywhere in Europe IMO. Primavera is very good, Roskilde looks strong, but they aren't unmissably good, for example. I think End of the Road looks brilliant, but it's obviously a much smaller proposition than the likes of EP, Primavera, etc now. Any others that I'm missing? Mad Cool looks dreadful this time, I think.

On the one hand, FR could have scooped some real top tier stuff to sit alongside RATM, RTJ, etc but, on the other hand, there may just be a bit of a dearth of touring acts this summer. While EP may get the strongest/best line-up possible to it, it might still just be okay if there's acts not touring.

I think there's one major factor in all of this: touring is the only way to make decent money for most acts these days so people are permanently on the road. That means that even a pretty strong line up (say, Primavera) is full of acts that have toured recently (the National, for e.g.). So even though it is good, it doesn't have the shock factor. It takes something big - the RATM bookings, the Strokes, Pavement, etc - to be a shock, wow booking, I think.

If EP announced it's full card and had headline acts of RATM, RTJ, Lana del Ray, Liam Gallagher and the Chemical Brothers, for example (Im just making these up - this isn't based on any insider knowledge!!), that would be inarguably one of the strongest top lines of any festival in Europe this year (though I don't rate LG at all but this isn't about me...) but the latter 3 have played here quite regularly recently and, as such, it just wouldn't be that exciting, would it?

Good post and interesting point, I guess it is a bit down to personal taste but I felt like that last year, it felt like no festival in Europe had a standout lineup. It's kind of shaping up that way a bit again this year but I prefer who is touring in 2020.

I like the ATN lineup in fairness, but it didn't take any of the big hitters that EP may have been lining up. Again personal taste, but acts like Robyn, Mac Demarco, Foals, Pet Shop Boys, London Grammar, Chromatics, Bicep, Wolf Alice, Glass Animals, Tycho all touring festivals this summer with no Irish dates announced. A couple of those thrown in could make it one of the best EP lineups ever IMO, but on the other hand, they could go more down the route of Reading & Leeds which is genuinely one of the worst lineups I've ever seen!

There's a possibility that in 2034 (frightening) some of the performers listed today will be looked on in a wistful way as acts that were once pioneering :)

IT IS THE YEAR 2034...

rubick and desktidy arrive on the Wednesday as usual, as has been the style for the past 8 years. Having survived the Great Deluge of 2030 and the Billie Eilish Riots of 2027, they look forward to seeing Underworld for the 21st time and checking out the new Rave Under The Woods. Terminus is now a multi-storey towerblock. Having floated off during the Great Deluge, the Salty Dog overlooks the Main Stage and is used as a can dispensary. A barbed wire fence surrounds Hendrix/Warhol as die-hard sesh monkeys refuse to leave the site from year to year. All 230,000 tickets for this year's festival sold out in 23 minutes. Radiohead are rumoured to be headlining this year along with Aphex Twin and Robyn.

• Registered Users Posts: 399 ✭✭BigMo1

Why so bad? Voice, band, lack of engagement? Someone I would have definitely checked out at a festival but not after these reviews.

The whole thing felt like a massive chore to her and that attitude lead to indifference in the crowd.

She also tweaked the tempo of some of her more well known tunes so even they fell very flat.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,478 ✭✭✭Stillill42

We have a very small window, people, to occupy the moral high ground in the great EP vs ATN debate. We only have until March 11th to trash their Mickey mouse so-called lineup, safe in the knowledge that the EP announcement will be the lineup to end all lineups. Let's go all Facebook on it.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,713 ✭✭✭endainoz

Stillill42 wrote: »
    We have a very small window, people, to occupy the moral high ground in the great EP vs ATN debate. We only have until March 11th to trash their Mickey mouse so-called lineup, safe in the knowledge that the EP announcement will be the lineup to end all lineups. Let's go all Facebook on it.

Could go even farther, like sky sports Instagram comments farther. Truly a dark place though, we may not be able to return.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,306 ✭✭✭fourmations

Good post and interesting point, I guess it is a bit down to personal taste but I felt like that last year, it felt like no festival in Europe had a standout lineup. It's kind of shaping up that way a bit again this year but I prefer who is touring in 2020.

I like the ATN lineup in fairness, but it didn't take any of the big hitters that EP may have been lining up. Again personal taste, but acts like Robyn, Mac Demarco, Foals, Pet Shop Boys, London Grammar, Chromatics, Bicep, Wolf Alice, Glass Animals, Tycho all touring festivals this summer with no Irish dates announced. A couple of those thrown in could make it one of the best EP lineups ever IMO, but on the other hand, they could go more down the route of Reading & Leeds which is genuinely one of the worst lineups I've ever seen!

id be tickled pink if Glass Animals played, never seen them
    and i think they are brilliant, has the drummer recovered?

there was no mention of staleness until you brought it up afterwards. it was about acts playing EP before:

My words you linked in:

'A collection of ex-EP acts and is generally pretty unadventurous'.

Lack of adventure doesn't equate to staleness?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,713 ✭✭✭endainoz

My words you linked in:

'A collection of ex-EP acts and is generally pretty unadventurous'.

Lack of adventure doesn't equate to staleness?

There are only so many decent affordable and suitable sized acts in the world!

• Advertisement

BigMo1 wrote: »
    The whole thing felt like a massive chore to her and that attitude lead to indifference in the crowd.

She also tweaked the tempo of some of her more well known tunes so even they fell very flat.

Prison will do that to you. That, and playing to pay off back taxes.

A pity re the gigs as I like much of her stuff. Given how long she's been in the public eye I'm amazed she's still only 44. Maybe she's just bored of thirty years of performance.

Prison will do that to you. That, and playing to pay off back taxes.

A pity re the gigs as I like much of her stuff. Given how long she's been in the public eye I'm amazed she's still only 44. Maybe she's just bored of thirty years of performance.

I saw her in the Point last year with my missus and she was mostly great. You forget how good the songs are. When she's good, she's very very good but when she's bad etc.

I saw her in the Point last year with my missus and she was mostly great. You forget how good the songs are. When she's good, she's very very good but when she's bad etc.

That's positive, could be a very decent evening in Waterford then. Lauren Laverne played a track this morning and the material hasn't dated.

And possibly the greatest thing about festivals - seeing acts you'd not pay an excessive amount to see but catch as a bonus at EP, Glasto, etc. Many such acts I've enjoyed at such over the year and the good citizens of ATN may get a pleasant surprise in August.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,826 ✭✭✭Wooderson

I hear what you're saying, yes.

I think it's a bit harsh on ATN to be honest. They are in their 3rd year and have announced the first set of artists for this year. I feel that there's really only a certain number of (fixed) big acts in the world, all of whom journey from festival to festival. It's very, very difficult for a festival to have the first airing of a new "big" act. Remember that EP are doing this a lot longer, so the chances of an ATN act reappearing at EP are far less than an EP act reappearing at ATN ;)

Factor in the difference in attendance numbers, which translates to revenue, and it becomes evident that the chances are minimised in attracting bigger, newer acts.

I agree that EP does find some great under headliners, but I believe that ATN is doing that too, albeit on a smaller scale, relative to its size and budget.

I wouldn't like to think that just because a band has played here before, and they're chosen to play a festival, that that is always a regressive step.

I think ATN are doing a great job. :)

The job they did last year on wasp conservation was so progressive.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,928 ✭✭✭scruff monkey
    Snarky Snark Snark

Spent the evening looking at other festivals and putting randoms into the google for ****s and giggles. I’ve an orrible feeling we won’t fare much better.

Got excited yesterday evening when Mogwai teased an announcement for this morning at 9am.

They are touring the UK in February 2021, so someone should probably make a note of that one.

rubick wrote: »
    Got excited yesterday evening when Mogwai teased an announcement for this morning at 9am.

They are touring the UK in February 2021, so someone should probably make a note of that one.

I'd love to see them again. My highlight at ATN 2018. My ears are still ringing.

I'd love to see them again. My highlight at ATN 2018. My ears are still ringing.

2018?! I thought it was 2014. The tent leaked over the drum kit. As was the style of the time.

• Registered Users Posts: 218 ✭✭fish_fingers

rubick wrote: »
    2018?! I thought it was 2014. The tent leaked over the drum kit. As was the style of the time.

It was 2014 yes...for EP...highlight of the festival for me. Mogwai->Perfume Genius->Francois & the Atlas Mountains->over and out for me!

StillIll is referring to them playing the "other" (shhhhhh) festival ;)

• Advertisement

Ah, yet another huge miss by not going to ATN 2018. Sakes!

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement