Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

[Cancelled] Electric Picnic 2020 **Discussion Only // No Ticket Sales / Requests **

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,928 ✭✭✭scruff monkey
    Snarky Snark Snark

Sounds better on cassette, fyi!

think the belts in my tape deck are likely toast (or at least a messy black sticky goo) at this stage.

• Registered Users Posts: 895 ✭✭✭paulieeye

Potential for The Weeknd to headline? Just announced tour dates, finishes American leg Sep 3rd and starts European leg Oct 11th with no Dublin date.

Would like to see it, new music is pretty good stuff.

he'll probably tour with Daft Punk :cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 8,346 ✭✭✭Seathrun66

I f'kn love Moby, but we ain't gettin him

NvR91TV.png

(and yes, i have the Heat OST CD too but that lives in a different folder cos metadata done right).

Can't see it happening either. He's done 15/16 sporadic shows over the past two years, all in the US going by setlist. fm and we're he touring Europe we'd know by now.

• Registered Users Posts: 41 MichaelM93l

paulieeye wrote: »
    he'll probably tour with Daft Punk :cool:

One can dream! As much and all I like Chemical Brothers I’m hoping that their standalone gig will cross them out for EP. Pet Shop Boys are touring, would be pretty happy with them for that pop dance kind of headline slot.

Snarky Snark Snark

PSB would do nicely.

• Advertisement

PSB would do nicely.

Reliably brilliant, but they'll never match that festival closing set in the Electric Arena in 2006. That's how you finish a weekend.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,291 ✭✭✭Fatfrog

I f'kn love Moby, but we ain't gettin him

NvR91TV.png

(and yes, i have the Heat OST CD too but that lives in a different folder cos metadata done right).

Loving the names of the mapped drive, "servant" "master" and "scruff_raid" :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,098 ✭✭✭Poorside

Fatfrog wrote: »
    Loving the names of the mapped drive, "servant" "master" and "scruff_raid" :)

Stop, I let the dog out for a pee in the middle of the night and had a look here while waiting, saw Master and Servant and have had that song in my head since.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,478 ✭✭✭Stillill42

Poorside wrote: »
    Stop, I let the dog out for a pee in the middle of the night and had a look here while waiting, saw Master and Servant and have had that song in my head since.
    Woah! Poorside breaks Depeche Mode as headliners! Finally!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,098 ✭✭✭Poorside

Stillill42 wrote: »
    Woah! Poorside breaks Depeche Mode as headliners! Finally!

Headlining the Throwback stage on Thursday

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 14,466 Mod ✭✭✭✭johnnyskeleton

• Registered Users Posts: 1,565 ✭✭✭Mucker46

ATN line up not giving me jealousy pangs. Hope EP announcement fills me with more excitement

• Registered Users Posts: 72 ✭✭GentleHumour

Mucker46 wrote: »
    ATN line up not giving me jealousy pangs. Hope EP announcement fills me with more excitement

Speculatively have bought tix for both, knowing I can really only do one.

EP line up would have to completely and spectacularly sh*t the bed for me to pick ATN over it based on that line up.
    I know it’s not comparing like-with-like in terms of pulling power - but the ATN line up is very unimaginative and also feels quite dated. Particularly on their top tiers.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,800 ✭✭✭Rfrip

Few nice dance electronic acts on it for me but no one I havnt seen before.
    Lauren hill is one of the worst live acts out there.

• Registered Users Posts: 399 ✭✭BigMo1

I seen Lauryn Hill at Mad Cool last summer, genuinely atrocious live.

Snarky Snark Snark

I am dissappoint on Goldfrapp, would really like to see them live at some point, they have a reasonable nice weeked there in ATN though.

Very little on that ATN lineup gives me any regret for not picking up a ticket. Once again it appears to be a collection of ex-EP acts and is generally pretty unadventurous.

However, we're I there I'd enjoy myself. Iggy reliable great, King Gizzard I'd love to see, Girl Band a coup. And some good young acts.

FR may have snapped up most of the best acts out there this year. Given the general mediocrity of Summer festival bookings could this be a really special EP announcement on the way?

So what's certain, or near-certain, for EP?

Rage Against the Machine
    Run the Jewels
    Fontaines DC
    The Murder Capital
    Picture This

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,746 ✭✭✭BullBlackNova

Seathrun66 wrote: »
    Very little on that ATN lineup gives me any regret for not picking up a ticket. Once again it appears to be a collection of ex-EP acts and is generally pretty unadventurous.

However, we're I there I'd enjoy myself. Iggy reliable great, King Gizzard I'd love to see, Girl Band a coup. And some good young acts.

FR may have snapped up most of the best acts out there this year. Given the general mediocrity of Summer festival bookings could this be a really special EP announcement on the way?

I'm very interested to see what FR have up their sleeves for EP.

Obviously it's all related to taste, but there is no single Wow! line-up out there for this summer anywhere in Europe IMO. Primavera is very good, Roskilde looks strong, but they aren't unmissably good, for example. I think End of the Road looks brilliant, but it's obviously a much smaller proposition than the likes of EP, Primavera, etc now. Any others that I'm missing? Mad Cool looks dreadful this time, I think.

On the one hand, FR could have scooped some real top tier stuff to sit alongside RATM, RTJ, etc but, on the other hand, there may just be a bit of a dearth of touring acts this summer. While EP may get the strongest/best line-up possible to it, it might still just be okay if there's acts not touring.

I think there's one major factor in all of this: touring is the only way to make decent money for most acts these days so people are permanently on the road. That means that even a pretty strong line up (say, Primavera) is full of acts that have toured recently (the National, for e.g.). So even though it is good, it doesn't have the shock factor. It takes something big - the RATM bookings, the Strokes, Pavement, etc - to be a shock, wow booking, I think.

If EP announced it's full card and had headline acts of RATM, RTJ, Lana del Ray, Liam Gallagher and the Chemical Brothers, for example (Im just making these up - this isn't based on any insider knowledge!!), that would be inarguably one of the strongest top lines of any festival in Europe this year (though I don't rate LG at all but this isn't about me...) but the latter 3 have played here quite regularly recently and, as such, it just wouldn't be that exciting, would it?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,607 ✭✭✭rubick

Honestly have a gut feeling that Therapy? will be at EP this year. Would rather have seen Goldfrapp announced for Stradbally but I'll take it, having not being able to get in (or even close to) to the JPT last time they were at Glastonbury.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 389 ✭✭Paddy2012

Rage Against the Machine
    Run the Jewels
    Fontaines DC
    The Murder Capital
    Picture This

I'd say FKA Twigs is very likely at this point now she's not doing ATN

• Registered Users Posts: 218 ✭✭fish_fingers

Rage Against the Machine
    Run the Jewels
    Fontaines DC
    The Murder Capital
    Picture This

Seathrun66, are most of these not ex-EP acts too? :);)

Snarky Snark Snark

Paddy2012 wrote: »
    I'd say FKA Twigs is very likely at this point now she's not doing ATN

missed her last time, much likey

• Registered Users Posts: 4,715 ✭✭✭endainoz

I'm pretty happy with that ATN announcement in that it didn't do much for me. No fear of FOMO taking over this time round. I genuinely think the lineup from last year was better, but what do I know? I missed a third of the festival last year!

• Registered Users Posts: 794 ✭✭✭dav09

Not sure if this has been posted, but looks like it'll be less cramped which is welcome, mostly info we already knew.

https://nialler9.com/electric-picnic-expands-site-area-by-30-mindfield-merged-with-former-bodysoul-area-a-fully-kitted-out-theatre-is-added/

BigMo1 wrote: »
    I seen Lauryn Hill at Mad Cool last summer, genuinely atrocious live.

Why so bad? Voice, band, lack of engagement? Someone I would have definitely checked out at a festival but not after these reviews.

Seathrun66, are most of these not ex-EP acts too? :);)

RATM definitely not.

Run the Jewels yes.

The other three are young Irish bands, two of whom have only been gigging for less than 3 years, the others a local Athy band whose debut was 2.5 years ago.

In terms of the staleness I was referring to older acts who are not strangers to these shores and who've done EP at least once (Groove Armada, Jarvis Cocker, Rufus Wainwright, etc). By any standards it ain't cutting edge and ATN had the opportunity to be a bit more avant-garde.

In comparison EP is likely to have 40/50 acts who've never played the festival before. Alongside some new biggies they'll unearth the best of new bands as they always do.

In summary, ATN should be doing a lot better than this.

Snarky Snark Snark

It's their first big name release though, surely they'll be doing the usual festival thingy of 2nd announcement to add and pad.

• Registered Users Posts: 657 ✭✭✭sally cinnamon89

RATM definitely not.

In comparison EP is likely to have 40/50 acts who've never played the festival before. Alongside some new biggies they'll unearth the best of new bands as they always do.

Not too sure about this one

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 218 ✭✭fish_fingers

RATM definitely not.

Run the Jewels yes.

The other three are young Irish bands, two of whom have only been gigging for less than 3 years, the others a local Athy band whose debut was 2.5 years ago.

In terms of the staleness I was referring to older acts who are not strangers to these shores and who've done EP at least once (Groove Armada, Jarvis Cocker, Rufus Wainwright, etc). By any standards it ain't cutting edge and ATN had the opportunity to be a bit more avant-garde.

I hear what you're saying, yes.

I think it's a bit harsh on ATN to be honest. They are in their 3rd year and have announced the first set of artists for this year. I feel that there's really only a certain number of (fixed) big acts in the world, all of whom journey from festival to festival. It's very, very difficult for a festival to have the first airing of a new "big" act. Remember that EP are doing this a lot longer, so the chances of an ATN act reappearing at EP are far less than an EP act reappearing at ATN ;)

Factor in the difference in attendance numbers, which translates to revenue, and it becomes evident that the chances are minimised in attracting bigger, newer acts.

I agree that EP does find some great under headliners, but I believe that ATN is doing that too, albeit on a smaller scale, relative to its size and budget.

I wouldn't like to think that just because a band has played here before, and they're chosen to play a festival, that that is always a regressive step.

I think ATN are doing a great job. :)

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement