Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

[Cancelled] Electric Picnic 2020 **Discussion Only // No Ticket Sales / Requests **

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,538 ✭✭✭Seathrun66

I am not a big fan of the albums but that was something special. I thought he was amazing. Didn't think much of his EP set a few of years ago.

Loved it though pals were unimpressed. His ironic wit is so dry that it's easily mistaken for arrogance. Some of which he undoubtedly has. I love that he gives his all at his gigs, a little bit akin to a hipsterish Nick Cave.

Fair few decent acts up for the Mercury Prize tonight, ten of the twelve I'd welcome to Stradbally.

And my forecast is for Slowthai to grab it. Would love the Fontaines to steal in though, about time we had a Mercury winner.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,501 ✭✭✭PabloAndRoy

Seathrun66 wrote: »
    Loved it though pals were unimpressed. His ironic wit is so dry that it's easily mistaken for arrogance. Some of which he undoubtedly has. I love that he gives his all at his gigs, a little bit akin to a hipsterish Nick Cave.

I think it might have been that I wasn't in the "correct frame of mind" so to speak. Mate and myself left the ladies there and went looking for something a bit more "fun".

• Registered Users Posts: 6,511 ✭✭✭Mike Guide 69

Ireland really does lack an outlet for metal fans when it comes to festivals and big outdoor events, doesn't it?

I remember when I was a teenager, plenty of my friends heading to Metallica, Iron Maiden, etc in big outdoor shows. I know there are plenty of smaller shows and really active venues, promoters and bands in a pretty vibrant scene here, but there's a real gap (as far as I can see) when it comes to big outdoor shows, festivals, etc.

If System are just doing festivals next summer, as has been suggested, they'll likely miss out on Ireland entirely - it's hard to see Forbidden Fruit, Longitude, ATN or EP booking them!

But a well priced, one off show with a solid support bill in Kilmainham or Malahide or something would attract a crowd, I would think.

Download 2020 is taking place in June. There's surely 4/5 bands from that that an Irish promoter could slice off to package as a one-day festival in Dublin, right?

I mean, the 2019 bill has a heap of bands that you know would draw a crowd here - the Sunday alone had Tool, the Smashing Pumpkins, Lamb of God, Slayer, Dreamtheatre, etc.

I'm not too up to speed with modern metal but it looks like a no brainer if you ask me...

Yep agree with you there, there is a serious lack of interest from organisers when it comes to putting together a metal type/heavy alternative festival in this country.

Off the top of my head, the only ones I can remember that took place was Oz Fest in Punchestown in early 2000's , when Ozzy didnt turn up and Tool headlined instead and then the Sunstroke festivals back in the 90's.Apart from that there were a few mini Kerrang sponsored gigs that took place but nothing major.

Its a shame because there is a thriving metal scene and following here in this country and it should be rewarded with a good festival, as mentioned Download attracts some serious acts, so surely its makes sense to put on a great one day festival with some serious metal/heavy rock/alternative acts

Its funny it was posted at mentioning Rage Against The Machine appearing at Oxegen, that a lot of festivals,in the last few years, especially across mainland Europe are incorporating a good mixtures of acts and music scenes into their set up, the likes of Rock Werchter (Kylie and Tool headlining for example!!!), Bennicassim come to mind.

I'd love to see EP go down this road, its a ballsy move, but f*uk it, i think it would be great to see some good rock/metal acts at it, as it would be branching out into new territory and the demand is there. What i will say, the others festivals I mentioned, are probably in a more healthy financial position , as they are more heavily sponsored and they can attract the big hitters.

If EP was to push the envelope out for a major heavy rock act as a headliner for next year, then the only act i could probably think of would be Pearl Jam, which would be amazing and that would be a serious marker for the organisers to do!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,746 ✭✭✭BullBlackNova

Fair few decent acts up for the Mercury Prize tonight, ten of the twelve I'd welcome to Stradbally.

And my forecast is for Slowthai to grab it. Would love the Fontaines to steal in though, about time we had a Mercury winner.

It appears to have been won by somebody named Dave.

Could someone post that meme of Principal Skinner no longer being "with it" because that's how I feel right now...

I'd have put the house on Idles or Slowthai.

• Advertisement

Could someone post that meme of Principal Skinner no longer being "with it" because that's how I feel right now...

Dave is a pal of Stormzy, performed with him at Glasto. A bland winner for me.

And yeah, they're the exact same two I expected. Very surprised.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,746 ✭✭✭BullBlackNova

Dave is a pal of Stormzy. A bland winner for me. And yeah, they're the exact same two I expected.

I like Stormzy - I'll give Dave a listen at work tomorrow sure. Might be something new for me.

You'd have to imagine that if Fontaines didn't win it, it could be an awfully long wait for an Irish act to do it.

I don't think they deserved a nomination, fwiw (grand album, but not a top 10/12 one for me!). But the UK press has championed them as loudly as our own. If they couldn't win it despite the wave of total adulation, I'd be stunned to see someone else do it in the next few years.

I like Stormzy - I'll give Dave a listen at work tomorrow sure. Might be something new for me.

You'd have to imagine that if Fontaines didn't win it, it could be an awfully long wait for an Irish act to do it.

I don't think they deserved a nomination, fwiw (grand album, but not a top 10/12 one for me!). But the UK press has championed them as loudly as our own. If they couldn't win it despite the wave of total adulation, I'd be stunned to see someone else do it in the next few years.

Best chance was for the Valentines in 2013 but they were ridiculously excluded due to the method of release.

Next year should be good. Girl Band and The Murder Capital could get nominated. Albums also on the way from Sinead O'Connor, Touts, Inhaler and a host of others. Could get a win sooner than you think.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,576 ✭✭✭Stillill42

Best chance was for the Valentines in 2013 but they were ridiculously excluded due to the method of release.

Next year should be good. Girl Band and The Murder Capital could get nominated. Albums also on the way from Sinead O'Connor, Touts, Inhaler and a host of others. Could get a win sooner than you think.

Can't see it, Seathrun. As BullBlackNova says, the hype around Fontaines was almost unprecedented for an Irish band in modern times. No way the likes of Girl band, Touts etc are getting that sort of buzz. Murder Capital still in their slipstream, I think. Sinead off her meds again, alas. Unless the Bono factor pushes Inhaler into orbit, I can't see any of the Irish getting close next year.

Anyone see Inhaler this year? I fear my wariness over the family connection has led to me dismissing the lads out of hand. Very unfair, I know.

Stillill42 wrote: »
    Can't see it, Seathrun. As BullBlackNova says, the hype around Fontaines was almost unprecedented for an Irish band in modern times. No way the likes of Girl band, Touts etc are getting that sort of buzz. Murder Capital still in their slipstream, I think. Sinead off her meds again, alas. Unless the Bono factor pushes Inhaler into orbit, I can't see any of the Irish getting close next year.

Anyone see Inhaler this year? I fear my wariness over the family connection has led to me dismissing the lads out of hand. Very unfair, I know.

Agree re the hype, and the others (with the exception of Inhaler) won't get that publicity and airplay.Though BBC6 (especially Tom Ravenscroft & Steve Lamacq will push Girl Band).

But hype isn't all that relevant to the Mercury. I don't always agree with their shortlist or winners but they genuinely seem to aim for the best twelve albums of the year from these islands. Slowthai, Black Midi, Nao, Seed Ensemble & Cate Le Bon haven't had an awful lot of build up in the past twelve months.

And I caught Inhaler earlier in the year supporting Touts plus half their set at EP. They've a big sound, he's got a fine voice and they have a bit of charisma. Not enough tunes but I expect them to be pretty huge. They were mixing well with gig-goers at the Roisin here, chatting to all while watching Touts and after the gigs. Came across as very decent guys. I think the family connection is as much of a burden as a help.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 240 ✭✭Tago Mago

Re the survey, if memory serves me correct, plumbed for Led Zeppelin (touring for their 50th anniversary & a once in a lifetime opportunity, highly improbable), Aphex Twin, LCD, Janelle Monáe, A$AP Rocky, Tame Impala, Bicep, Supergrass, Rejjie Snow...

Can't seem to recall the last act but remember being pissed for inexplicably leaving out Fontaines; Robyn & the Cure to a lesser extent.

A lesson to undertake such important chores at home, rather than in work!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,013 ✭✭✭scruff monkey
    Snarky Snark Snark

Tago Mago wrote: »
    plumbed for Led Zeppelin (touring for their 50th anniversary

Won't ever happen, Page would cos he's a money hungry harpy but Plant is just not in the same headspace. He's a happy chappy just doing what ever takes his musical fancy.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,855 ✭✭✭Rfrip

My standouts are

Chic electric arena 2014
    Robyn electric arena 2020

Il never forget that chic gig

• Registered Users Posts: 2,543 ✭✭✭Thundercats Ho

I was there for 3 songs i think.
    They did the old U2 thing of playing a verse of a different bands song, tucked into one of their own.
    They played the start of A forest by the cure in the middle of one of their songs.

Their image and sound is very polished for such a young band.

The 3 songs was more than enough for me, but good luck to them.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,692 ✭✭✭rubick

Yeah, brilliant stuff. My last gig of the weekend, went off on a high. My 10 year old still puts on Drunk drivers/ Killer Whales. Did you get a tshirt, Rubick? Didn't they fire a few out at the start?

We didn't get a tee - we were standing around the left hand side of the tent about 30 back where there was a bit of space. There was a Awesome Fun Drunk Lad spinning about there for a few songs but he got bored with no-one looking at him and he left, thankfully.

All three were stunning. Missed Outkast and the drizzle for Mogwai in a dry tent.

I seem to remember the tent leaking right over the drum kit just before Mogwai came on so they were delayed a bit?

They are well overdue a return booking for Stradbally.

• Registered Users Posts: 657 ✭✭✭sally cinnamon89

Rfrip wrote: »
    My standouts are

Chic electric arena 2014
    Robyn electric arena 2020

Il never forget that chic gig

They closed the main stage on Saturday that year if I recall correctly not EA

• Registered Users Posts: 3,229 ✭✭✭nc6000

Dave is the guy who brought 15 year old Alex on stage with him at Glastonbury.....

• Registered Users Posts: 291 ✭✭Kepler21

My standouts are:
    David Byrne & St. Vincent - still have a smile on my face remembering it
    Robert Plant & His Sensational Space Shifters 2013
    London Grammar (can't decide if 2014 or 2017 was best)

Kepler21 wrote: »
    My standouts are:
    David Byrne & St. Vincent - still have a smile on my face remembering it
    Robert Plant & His Sensational Space Shifters 2013
    London Grammar (can't decide if 2014 or 2017 was best)

Ah yes, this was a glorious afternoon on the Main Stage Hill!

• Advertisement

rubick wrote: »
    I seem to remember the tent leaking right over the drum kit just before Mogwai came on so they were delayed a bit?

They are well overdue a return booking for Stradbally.

Can't remember. Was late into the tent as caught the start of Outkast. Wanted to watch more but the drizzle defeated me.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,300 ✭✭✭✭everlast75

would love the Wannadies. Their album Bagsy Me was fantastic, and some other numbers from later albums were brilliant too

• Registered Users Posts: 274 ✭✭Not in Kansas

A complete sidetrack but I notice there is a lot of love for Robyn floating around. Fans of hers would enjoy a recent episode of the podcast Song Exploder where she breaks down the writing and recording process for Honey.

Song Exploder is bleedin' deadly for music fans so I recommend it to everyone on this thread really! All short episodes and fascinating.

nc6000 wrote: »
    Dave is the guy who brought 15 year old Alex on stage with him at Glastonbury.....

This was so obviously a set-up. Fun though.

• Registered Users Posts: 218 ✭✭fish_fingers

The Cure my favourite EP gig. Honourable mention for La Femme a couple of years ago, David Byrne and Annie, Band of Horses, J5, Eels, Benjamin Clementine (first time round) and and and...

Was going to put them down...I knew it was a fabulous gig at the time--I had researched them earlier and they put on a fantastic show...I just couldn't remember much after ;-)

• Registered Users Posts: 19,309 ✭✭✭✭alastair

Here is a question for the old timers.

In 2007, Dan Le Sac & Scroobius Pip played some tiny tent with about 20 people in total. I remember him saying how surprised he was that anyone was there as Sonic Youth were on at the same time.

What was that little tent called?

Foggy Notions.

2007 was the year of the Beastie Boys. Probably my favourite EP act over all the years.

• Registered Users Posts: 218 ✭✭fish_fingers

Didn't see them. Did my work beforehand, and my ears heard a produced family mark II sound--nothing special or different for me.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,587 ✭✭✭Mollyb60

A complete sidetrack but I notice there is a lot of love for Robyn floating around. Fans of hers would enjoy a recent episode of the podcast Song Exploder where she breaks down the writing and recording process for Honey.

Song Exploder is bleedin' deadly for music fans so I recommend it to everyone on this thread really! All short episodes and fascinating.

+1 for Song Exploder recommendation. It's how I discovered Mitski. She broke down Your Best American Girl on it.

alastair wrote: »
    Foggy Notions.

2007 was the year of the Beastie Boys. Probably my favourite EP act over all the years.

Both of their sets were great. The insisted on being in a tent rather than main stage.

Tent was rammed for the first one .. then the "special guest" instrumental one which was the was even better. Worst kept secret in history of EP.

I have just put on the instrumental album for Friday morning work groove. Class album.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,576 ✭✭✭Stillill42

everlast75 wrote: »
    would love the Wannadies. Their album Bagsy Me was fantastic, and some other numbers from later albums were brilliant too

Ah, I loved them. I can just imagine us all lepping around to Hit.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement