Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

UFC 242: Khabib Nurmagomedov vs Dustin Poirier [7 Sep, 19:00]

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,117 ✭✭✭tommyboy26

Dustin Poirier by KO/TKO
    Khabib beats Conor 10 times out of 10. You can not deny that.

Fixed that for you.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,651 ✭✭✭US2

Dustin Poirier by KO/TKO
    tommyboy26 wrote: »
    Fixed that for you.

You can never say 10 outa 10 in MMA no matter whos fighting.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,117 ✭✭✭tommyboy26

Dustin Poirier by KO/TKO
    US2 wrote: »
    You can never say 10 outa 10 in MMA no matter whos fighting.

I totally agree with you. In saying that there is a better chance of mine happening over what he said

• Registered Users Posts: 39,029 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

Khabib Nurmagomedov on Points
    Homelander wrote: »
    Khabib is really faultless to be fair to the guy, he just manhandles everyone and makes it look so easy and almost skillless, when it couldn't be any more the opposite.

He's extremely good, will possibly retire unbeaten, but I don't think he is unbeatable. The window is tiny and getting smaller though
    darced wrote: »
    Ferguson got out grappled and mounted easily by Kevin Lee who then gassed. Khabib will not gas, Tony will have nothing for Khabib on the ground.
    Glad somebody else is saying this. Thought I was on my own.
    People are elevating Tony's BJJ to mythical levels. Bizarre.
    I predicted a Khabib win but was wrong when I stated 'while not being impossible, I don't see Dustin being submitted'.

A third round Dustin was all but spent. He was hunched over at the end of the 2nd. Nearly got a guillotine. In the press conference he said he should have thrown his other foot over to be a full guard guillotine.
    Dominate anyone in grappling and the submission will almost always present itself.

Dustin was close with the guillotine, but Khabib defended very well. Dustin for half guard but full guard wasn't an option, Khabib was blocking the knee the whole time. He should have went shin across the hips and leg across the back, then rolled to mounted. I think he could have finished.

spix wrote: »
    I don't give Khabib much chance against Ferguson. 3 of Khabibs recent opponents have been ex 145lbers unproven against wrestlers, is it really any surprise he was able to control them so well on the ground? Tony has been successful at 170 against bigger guys
    That was in low level promotions before signing to the UFC.
    He's only been at LW in the UFC.
    His TUF season was WW, but that's LWs not cutting at much.

how come McGregor tapped out to a neck crank whereas Poirier was able to withstand multiple such neck cranks before the full choke was achieved?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,683 ✭✭✭Subcomandante Marcos

glasso wrote: »
    how come McGregor tapped out to a neck crank whereas Poirier was able to withstand multiple such neck cranks before the full choke was achieved?

Dustin is a better grappler and has a better understanding of the mechanics and how to defend the positions. He turned his head and shoulders into Khabib to create space and releave pressure when it was across the jaw, once it was under the chin it was over.

The positions were different. Partial due to Poirier moving to defend and partly down to Khabib simply not getting into as good a position. Tiny details adding up.

When Khabib submitted McGregor. He had the back with a cross body hook in. His weight is high, on top of McGregor. Khabib has his right shoulder to the cage, so that he has space to rotate away from the cage and crank the neck.

This attempt verses Poirier looks similar at first. Similar cross body hook. But Khabib is pressed to the cage, taking away his space to lever the neck. Poirier is square, so he can moved to defend. And his head to turned to the wrist side. That reduces the crank.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,935 ✭✭✭Tazzimus

Dustin Poirier by Sub
    Mellor wrote: »
    .Dustin was close with the guillotine, but Khabib defended very well. Dustin for half guard but full guard wasn't an option, Khabib was blocking the knee the whole time. He should have went shin across the hips and leg across the back, then rolled to mounted. I think he could have finished.

I actually thought he was going to get to mount at one stage and finish it, there was an opening, Khabib was pretty much in his back at one point defending the guillotine.
    Think exhaustion player it's part there and he wasn't thinking as sharply as normal.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,523 ✭✭✭✭yourdeadwright

Khabib had a much better position for the neck crank on Connor , Basically Connor had no room to move and Khabib was able to get more torch and pressure,

• Registered Users Posts: 128 ✭✭Cupp3r

Khabib had a much better position for the neck crank on Connor , Basically Connor had no room to move and Khabib was able to get more torch and pressure,

Well he did have room to move but he had to create it by moving his left leg around khabibs loose hook. Khabib was so focused on hurting Conor his leg wasn't right on Conor's left if Conor had of tried to move the left leg out of and around ( easier said then done I know but he didn't attempt it) also when the sub attempt started Conor pushed back and slid himself back to the cage unbeknownst to him in the struggle aiding khabib as he could set into it nice back to the cage.

• Advertisement

Tazzimus wrote: »
    I actually thought he was going to get to mount at one stage and finish it, there was an opening, Khabib was pretty much in his back at one point defending the guillotine.
    Think exhaustion player it's part there and he wasn't thinking as sharply as normal.

Absolutely. Nearly 15 mins in, arms fried brain fried. Easy to correct a technique in retrospect.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,461 ✭✭✭✭The Nal

Is that the closest we've seen Khabib to being submitted?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,557 ✭✭✭GrumPy

The Nal wrote: »

Yes, he admitted this multiple times post fight.

No tibau had him in more trouble with the Guillotine round 2.

GrumPy wrote: »

He was clearly forgetting the standing Guillotine tibau had him in then.

Cupp3r wrote: »
    He was clearly forgetting the standing Guillotine tibau had him in then.

At 9 mins 40 here?

Dustin Poirier by Sub
    Absolutely. Nearly 15 mins in, arms fried brain fried. Easy to correct a technique in retrospect.
    Absolutely.
    Was gutted for Dustin as it was so, so close. Biggest upset would be to submit him, rather than a ko or tko.
    Khabib did a great job defending it though.

At 9 mins 40 here?

I'm not sure can't watch the video yet in work. Just remember khabib rushed and dropped his head and tibau locked one in it was deep but couldn't get traction so gave it up

I'm not sure can't watch the video yet in work. Just remember khabib rushed and dropped his head and tibau locked one in it was deep but couldn't get traction so gave it up

Yeah thats it, think Dustin was closer to be honest.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,580 ✭✭✭NoviGlitzko

Dustin never stood a chance. Didn't even bother to look at it. Until Khabib moves up a weight division and fights someone decent there he'll never be considered a great in my eyes. The only decent fighters he's faced are lads after the re-hydrating stage are much lighter than him. I mean, both Conor and Dustin were both featherweights once. If 2 men go to ground, the heavier/stronger guy will always win.

• Advertisement

Dustin Poirier by Sub
    Dustin never stood a chance. Didn't even bother to look at it. Until Khabib moves up a weight division and fights someone decent there he'll never be considered a great in my eyes. The only decent fighters he's faced are lads after the re-hydrating stage are much lighter than him. I mean, both Conor and Dustin were both featherweights once. If 2 men go to ground, the heavier/stronger guy will always win.
    There was probably only a few lbs of a difference between them on fight night.
    Just because they fought at a weight previously, doesn't mean they weigh the same now.
    Sure Rumble used to make 170..

• Registered Users Posts: 7,056 ✭✭✭darced

Poirier is tougher than Conor in those positions. Its that simple.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,148 ✭✭✭✭MrStuffins

Dustin Poirier by KO/TKO

054.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 3,744 ✭✭✭Brock Turnpike

GrumPy wrote: »

And yet apparently he's unbeatable according to some...

Yeah thats it, think Dustin was closer to be honest.

Incant remember off top of my head but khabib lost his balance and all he dropped to a knee when it was sunk in. Khabib kept turning out to allow himself breath against Dustin.

And yet apparently he's unbeatable according to some...

At LW he is unbeatable.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,523 ✭✭✭✭yourdeadwright

To be fair someone like Dustin was never going to beat Khabib ,
    Dustin is decent to good at everything but not amazing at anything if that makes sense,

To be beat Khabib you need t be a world class wrestler it's that simple,
    You have a chance if your a world class striker to catch him but in reality you need to be a world class wrestler to beat him ,

Khabib is brilliant but he is also in the right weight class at the right time,

There a currently no top 10 guys with the right style to give him trouble, Its crazy no top lightweights are stand out wrestlers , look at Welter weight its stacked with them,

Honest question would we consider Al the best wrestler he has faced ? I'd love to see him in against some of the Welter weight guys ,

Its interesting there's never been serious talk of moving up , McGregor, GSP,DC, Holloway, Henry Cejudo and more all went and wanted to win the next belt,

I feel Khabib knows to keep his perfect record he best not move up as there is some serious wrestler's who could take that 0 from him ,

Styles make fights

At LW he is unbeatable.
    Gleison Tibau would disagree.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,148 ✭✭✭✭MrStuffins

Dustin Poirier by KO/TKO
    Nobody is unbeatable. There have been plenty of fighters who were "unbeatable" until they got beat.

• Advertisement

Gleison Tibau would disagree.

I believe Tibau beat him then too. But I think he was quite new and over rawed by it.

Advertisement