Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

UFC 242: Khabib Nurmagomedov vs Dustin Poirier [7 Sep, 19:00]

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 37,520 ✭✭✭✭eagle eye

US2 wrote:
    Give your head a shake man seriously, you clearly don't know what you're talking about. You're embarrassing yourself.
    Again no explanation given as to why you disagree with me.
    I'm starting to wonder do you actually have an answer.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,761 ✭✭✭Effects

Rod Laver wrote: »
    What would a Khabib vs Khabib fight look like if you could clone him...

Khabib would win.

• Registered Users Posts: 128 ✭✭Cupp3r

eagle eye wrote: »

I gave you reasons. You didn't quote me. I'll wait.

Again here's 5 reasons: RDA, Benson Henderson, Rory MacDonald, Dong Hyung Kim, Clay Guida

How did Nate do against them? Are they better then Khabib. His Kryptonite is wrestlers.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,651 ✭✭✭US2

Dustin Poirier by KO/TKO
    Dustin never stood a chance. Didn't even bother to look at it. Until Khabib moves up a weight division and fights someone decent there he'll never be considered a great in my eyes. The only decent fighters he's faced are lads after the re-hydrating stage are much lighter than him. I mean, both Conor and Dustin were both featherweights once. If 2 men go to ground, the heavier/stronger guy will always win.

Why do you have to move up weights to be considered a great? Anderson Silva, GSP, Jon Jones 3 goats who didn't move up. Mighty mouse moved up years ago and lost.

• Advertisement

Dustin Poirier by KO/TKO

Your reasoning is that Nate is smart enough to stay in the center of the *ring. That's not worth an answer

• Registered Users Posts: 1,588 ✭✭✭derfderf

Dustin Poirier by KO/TKO
    US2 wrote: »
    Dustin never stood a chance. Didn't even bother to look at it. Until Khabib moves up a weight division and fights someone decent there he'll never be considered a great in my eyes. The only decent fighters he's faced are lads after the re-hydrating stage are much lighter than him. I mean, both Conor and Dustin were both featherweights once. If 2 men go to ground, the heavier/stronger guy will always win.

Why do you have to move up weights to be considered a great? Anderson Silva, GSP, Jon Jones 3 goats who didn't move up. Mighty mouse moved up years ago and lost.

I don't think Mighty Mouse moved up. I'm nearly sure Bantemweight was the smallest weight class at the time.

Dustin Poirier by KO/TKO
    derfderf wrote: »
    I don't think Mighty Mouse moved up. I'm nearly sure Bantemweight was the smallest weight class at the time.

Apologies. Further proves my point , the 4 considered greatest never moved up, why does Khabib have to move up to be great? It's not boxing where you move up a couple of lbs

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,629 Mod ✭✭✭✭riffmongous

MrStuffins wrote: »
    Nobody is unbeatable. There have been plenty of fighters who were "unbeatable" until they got beat.

I still remember the shock of waking up to find Fedor had lost

• Registered Users Posts: 20,523 ✭✭✭✭yourdeadwright

Apologies. Further proves my point , the 4 considered greatest never moved up, why does Khabib have to move up to be great? It's not boxing where you move up a couple of lbs

With Khabib its not he hasn't moved up in weight that would go against his legacy but the fact he has never fought a legitimately top class wrestler,

For pound for pound greatest you should have wins against top level guys of all styles,

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 39,029 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

Khabib Nurmagomedov on Points

Silva made the jump to LHW multiple times.
    GSP made the jump to MW, and won the title.
    Jones will eventually make the jump imo. Just needs to keep pulsing for a bit longer.

Dustin Poirier by KO/TKO
    Mellor wrote: »
    Silva made the jump to LHW multiple times.
    GSP made the jump to MW, and won the title.
    Jones will eventually make the jump imo. Just needs to keep pulsing for a bit longer.

GSP was considered the goat long before he fought bisping. I can't remember Silva fighting at light heavey apart from the exhibition against DC? Jones is considered greatest already without moving up

Dustin Poirier by KO/TKO
    With Khabib its not he hasn't moved up in weight that would go against his legacy but the fact he has never fought a legitimately top class wrestler,

For pound for pound greatest you should have wins against top level guys of all styles,

You think he's avoiding wrestlers or something? He's beat everyone that stood in front of him. Don't see why he has to put himself at a massive disadvantage against bigger guys to be great

• Registered Users Posts: 1,588 ✭✭✭derfderf

Dustin Poirier by KO/TKO
    derfderf wrote: »

I wasn't being pedantic by the way, i agree. Very few actually move up. I don't think it's up to the fighter to find people that can beat them.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,733 ✭✭✭ASOT

GSP was considered the goat long before he fought bisping. I can't remember Silva fighting at light heavey apart from the exhibition against DC?

Forrest Griffin at LHW

• Registered Users Posts: 19,148 ✭✭✭✭MrStuffins

Dustin Poirier by KO/TKO
    ASOT wrote: »
    Forrest Griffin at LHW

He also KO'd James Irvin @ LHW

You think he's avoiding wrestlers or something? He's beat everyone that stood in front of him. Don't see why he has to put himself at a massive disadvantage against bigger guys to be great

No not all, he just happens to be fighting In a weight class where there are currently no top wrestlers near the top of it,

Looks I understand how good he is but to be an all time great i'd like to see him fight all styles,

For a long time people where saying we need to see Connor v a top wrestler i'm just asking the same question of Khabib ,

He doesn't but to be an all time great it would help .

His last two victory's are against former featherweights who had no problem putting themselves at a massive disadvantage ,

In this day and age a lot of champions are wiling to put themselves at a size disadvantage to show how good they are is Khabib ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,076 ✭✭✭Wayne Jarvis

Cupp3r wrote: »
    Again here's 5 reasons: RDA, Benson Henderson, Rory MacDonald, Dong Hyung Kim, Clay Guida

How did Nate do against them? Are they better then Khabib. His Kryptonite is wrestlers.

I have always thought that Nate's kryptonite is the English language.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,461 ✭✭✭✭The Nal

He doesn't but to be an all time great it would help .

His last two victory's are against former featherweights who had no problem putting themselves at a massive disadvantage ,

In this day and age a lot of champions are wiling to put themselves at a size disadvantage to show how good they are is Khabib ?

LW to WW is a 15lb step up though. Could be fighting guys over 6ft who are cutting down from 190lbs. Its the first big jump (15lbs) where as the lighter divisions are 10lb step ups.

Would be interesting to see how big Khabib could get though and how it would change his style, if at all.

• Advertisement

The Nal wrote: »
    LW to WW is a 15lb step up though. Could be fighting guys over 6ft who are cutting down from 190lbs. Its the first big jump (15lbs) where as the lighter divisions are 10lb step ups.

Would be interesting to see how big Khabib could get though and how it would change his style, if at all.

T Woodly is 5'7 ,
    ROBBIE 5'9
    Colby 5'9

Khabib , 5'8 . His last two opponents 5'7 and former feather weights,

Step up and show us all how good you really are ,

Again nothing against Khabib he is a killer no question but lets see him fight a good wrestler before the GOAT talk starts , Its not his fault but there is zero great wrestler at lightweight ,

T Woodly is 5'7 ,
    ROBBIE 5'9
    Colby 5'9

Khabib , 5'8

Well, you shrank them all by 2 inches. 5'9, 5'11, 5'11 and 5'10 respectively. Usman is 6ft. Jorge 5'11 etc. Not all about height though. Not sure Khabib could get up to this level. Big men in comparison.

051c3-15432400390516-800.jpg
    robbie-lawler1.png

• Registered Users Posts: 3,935 ✭✭✭Tazzimus

Dustin Poirier by Sub
    Well, you shrank them all by 2 inches. 5'9, 5'11, 5'11 and 5'10 respectively. Usman is 6ft. Jorge 5'11 etc. Not all about height though. Not sure Khabib could get up to this level. Big men in comparison.

051c3-15432400390516-800.jpg
    robbie-lawler1.png
    Woodley's billed at 1.75m, which is 5'7".
    Average height in WW is about 5'9", most would be around the 200lb mark and cut from there though, so much bigger lads.

Tazzimus wrote: »
    Average height in WW is about 5'9", most would be around the 200lb mark and cut from there though, so much bigger lads.

Yeah either way bigger frames, more muscle etc. Khabib would have to hit the weights.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,965 ✭✭✭✭rob316

T Woodly is 5'7 ,
    ROBBIE 5'9
    Colby 5'9

Khabib , 5'8 . His last two opponents 5'7 and former feather weights,

Step up and show us all how good you really are ,

Again nothing against Khabib he is a killer no question but lets see him fight a good wrestler before the GOAT talk starts , Its not his fault but there is zero great wrestler at lightweight ,

The top WW are too big for the top LW's, 15 pounds is a big jump. It's not just height, sheer mass and power is greater. Woodley walks around at over 200lbs, you had Till who's even bigger competing at WW.

Cerrone, RDA have both tried WW and the same thing happens you get crushed as you move up the rankings against the true WW.

Yeah either way bigger frames, more muscle etc. Khabib would have to hit the weights.

His framing would struggle to control them lads as he does in fights. Body size he would struggle for the wrist control he so often uses.

I understand these guys are bigger built but it would be great to see Khabib against some top level wrestlers,

Dustin Poirier by KO/TKO
    I understand these guys are bigger built but it would be great to see Khabib against some top level wrestlers,

Gathje is probably the best you are going to see him fight, maybe Kevin Lee too if he stays at 155

• Registered Users Posts: 3,935 ✭✭✭Tazzimus

Dustin Poirier by Sub
    He'd lose. Easily.
    Khabib tends to slow down at the end of round 3, he can keep a high pace to that point.
    The likes of Colby has infinite stamina and would keep the pressure on him for every minute of a five round fight.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 54,596 ✭✭✭✭walshb

Tazzimus wrote: »

175 cms is about 5 feet 9, not 7.

Advertisement