Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

UFC 242: Khabib Nurmagomedov vs Dustin Poirier [7 Sep, 19:00]

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 128 ✭✭Cupp3r

Dana said Ferguson khabib is up next and Nate and Jorge is signed.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,965 ✭✭✭✭rob316

Just a crazy good grappler, his domination from top is amazing. He takes you down and before you hit the mat he has your legs tied up. He makes you hold his weight throughout and when you do get up your so exhausted you can't throw a punch. He cranks your neck, covers your mouth and pounds your face it's just a horrible place to be.

I still believe Ferguson can beat him though.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,935 ✭✭✭Tazzimus

Dustin Poirier by Sub
    Tony will be Khabib's big test. Guy that can wrestle, work off his back, take ridiculous damage, and has an unending gas tank, which will come into play around round 4 when Khabib starts to tire and slow down. That's when Tony will really pour it on and we'll see what Khabib is really made of.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,274 ✭✭✭✭mdwexford

mailburner wrote: »
    It's how he wins, pure domination and no losses on his record
    tony has been in trouble and has a few losses on his record

you could argue he's only beaten rda, conor and poirier who are all
    strikers

shut down the division if tony doesn't beat him though..it'll mighty mouse type domination from there on in

Still RDA and Dustin are BJJ black belts. They are well rounded to say the least.

Khabib is just different gravy.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,136 ✭✭✭sonofenoch

McGregor never beats that style ......Ferguson is the only one equipped for that in the division, oddly enough I do think McGregor could take Ferguson

Khabib only has 1 fight left at lightweight ......and a possible wild card in Diaz

• Advertisement

Dustin Poirier by Sub
    SDKev wrote: »
    Not disagreeing with you

He’s impressive from my perspective - I just think the other fights I mentioned were better from a spectator standpoint

That's a very "just bleed guy" attitude.
    Anyone not a casual will see Khabib's style for what it is; amazing.
    Even just his wrist control and how he makes you hold his weight while he's on you is amazing to watch

SDKev wrote: »
    Do the core UFC fans enjoy fights like that?

I watch the very odd fight but watched a few on the card tonight,
    I enjoyed the Blaydes and Felder fights a lot more than the last fight, khabib just seems to slow and grind his opponents down. Not taking away from his win, I have a lot of admiration for his statement at the end.

Yes very much so, his progression through the positions and technical ability is world class.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,629 Mod ✭✭✭✭riffmongous

ricero wrote: »
    Astericks beside all of them for me due to steroids.

Khabib or Gsp is the goat of mma. Hopefully the Ufc gives us this dream match up

Fedor and steroids?

• Registered Users Posts: 83 ✭✭SDKev

rob316 wrote: »
    Yes very much so, his progression through the positions and technical ability is world class.

I don’t follow any sport - apart from a bit of bandwagon UFC so appreciate your honesty

I loved how humble Khabib was and the respect shown throughout the fights I saw. I struggle to comprehend the sport of going to fight someone, putting your life on the line, then the bell rings and you shake hands. I admire each and everyone one of them

• Registered Users Posts: 3,009 ✭✭✭Tangatagamadda Chaddabinga Bonga Bungo

Dustin Poirier by KO/TKO
    Khabib didn't take much if any damage, so am hoping he can get another fight in before the end of the year.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,082 ✭✭✭Man Vs ManUre

Conor vs Poirier is now an interesting fight. Sure neither deserve an immediate title rematch. Just a shame it’s so difficult to get Conor to fight. Yet it seems a contradiction as he is so vocal about wanting Khabib again. Come on Conor let’s have 2 quick turnaround fights and Khabib won’t be in position to deny u. Ok Dustin won’t fight soon so u could take on Max first at 155 no title, then Dustin, then title shot.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,056 ✭✭✭hawaii501

Surely Khabib and Tony is next, no one for either man to face.
    Tony was interim already, no point fighting a another 'number one' contender match just to extend his winning streak.

Just set it a date Dana and be done with it!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 128 ✭✭Cupp3r

Danis is off on Twitter. Time to close my interwebs up for the night.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,204 ✭✭✭dodderangler

Poirer is blubbering on post fight atm.
    Jaysus just accept the loss and man up

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,076 ✭✭✭Wayne Jarvis

Cupp3r wrote: »
    Dana said Ferguson khabib is up next and Nate and Jorge is signed.
    Dana's exact words were "Tony gets the next title fight if he accepts my offer" which Dana being Dana may very well mean Dana lowballing him, giving the fight to someone else when Tony refuses the low offer then saying to the media that Tony refused the fight.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,274 ✭✭✭✭mdwexford

Shut up you dope.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,082 ✭✭✭Man Vs ManUre

Guy Person wrote: »
    Dana's exact words were "Tony gets the next title fight if he accepts my offer" which Dana being Dana may very well mean Dana lowballing him, giving the fight to someone else when Tony refuses the low offer then saying to the media that Tony refused the fight.

Khabib won’t fight again till next summer, probably fight week in July. How can Tony wait that long?? And hope Conor will have fought a couple of times by then.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,833 ✭✭✭Useful.Idiot

Guy Person wrote: »

can't imagine why they wouldn't give Tony what he wants. Demand for this fight is higher than ever.

Dustin Poirier by Sub

What's unmanly about that exactly?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,795 ✭✭✭dulux99

I'd be interested to know what you did for a living.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,523 ✭✭✭kwestfan08

Sort of rubbed me the wrong way when khabib says he wants to rest up for a while, sure he hasn't fought in nearly a year before tonight. What exactly is he resting from.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,744 ✭✭✭Brock Turnpike

kwestfan08 wrote: »
    Sort of rubbed me the wrong way when khabib says he wants to rest up for a while, sure he hasn't fought in nearly a year before tonight. What exactly is he resting from.

I think he meant rest for a couple of days before deciding what to do next?

Surely the only real way Khabib is beaten is if someone can KO him early in the fight? Once he starts talking them down, energy and power are gone.

Khabib Ferguson in LV for new years is my guess. They won't drag that out to next summer if they are looking to put McGregor back in the mix (not that I care if they do or not).

dulux99 wrote: »
    I'd be interested to know what you did for a living.

What the fück does that got to do with poirer crying like a bitch?
    He got beaten. Accept it and move on.

mdwexford wrote: »
    Shut up you dope.

Im shaken now. Please don’t hurt me.

Fücking clown.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,629 ✭✭✭magma69

Internet hard man alert!

magma69 wrote: »
    Internet hard man alert!

How is it being hard. You lose you go back and work on your mistakes and come back stronger. Simple as.
    Crying over a loss is just sad. Get up do it again but be better.
    Guess you got trophies for participating growing up huh?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,795 ✭✭✭dulux99

Yeah mate, the guy has dedicated his entire life to this moment and came up short. I don't think anyone on this forum could put themselves in his shoes, it takes an other wordly amount of commitment and effort. But random guy in forum declares him a bitch. Fair enough, you're right, he's wrong.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,026 ✭✭✭grindle

Khabib Nurmagomedov by Sub
    Tazzimus wrote: »
    Even just his wrist control and how he makes you hold his weight while he's on you is amazing to watch

This is what casuals are missing - speaking as a definite casual but I can see what he's doing. His ability and strength to trap limbs and push an arm back with very little purchase, whilst making it look like he's barely exerting any effort is what's incredible and fear-inducing for his opponents.
    These are very strong men he's controlling the limbs of. If they had any other option at all, they would choose not to have their limbs continuously trapped, yet he still controls all movement. The Johnson fight was hilarious for this - "Excuse me sir, you seem to be trying to use both your arms to defend yourself, let me remove one of those so I can consistently smash you wherever your hand isn't."
    God that was funny at the time. Funny and very very scary.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,629 ✭✭✭magma69

How is it being hard. You lose you go back and work on your mistakes and come back stronger. Simple as.
    Crying over a loss is just sad. Get up do it again but be better.
    Guess you got trophies for participating growing up huh?

Put down the can of beer chief. Don't think anyone needs advice off a steamed up incel lmao.

Advertisement