Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

UFC 242: Khabib Nurmagomedov vs Dustin Poirier [7 Sep, 19:00]

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,238 ✭✭✭Esse85

The scary thing about Khabib is that we all know what's coming, but opponents can't stop it. Not like you don't know what's gonna happen next.

Have to admire the support for charity he's given tonight, he's really mad for that GSP fight.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,204 ✭✭✭dodderangler

magma69 wrote: »
    Put down the can of beer chief. Don't think anyone needs advice off a steamed up incel lmao.

Don’t drink or smoke or do drugs. Nice try though princess.
    Enjoy your bottle of wine and talking to your cat for the night. Probably only pussy you get anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,810 ✭✭✭✭jimmii

Esse85 wrote: »
    The scary thing about Khabib is that we all know what's coming, but opponents can't stop it. Not like you don't know what's gonna happen next.

Have to admire the support for charity he's given tonight, he's really mad for that GSP fight.

It's insane. It's not like he mixes it up really you know exactly what he is going to do but absolutely no one seems to be able to handle it! It would be very interesting if he did take the daring route and take aim at the bigger guys but doesn't look likely.

GSP cements his legacy more than any other fighter and he knows at this point hes probably going in a decent favourite.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 10,462 Mod ✭✭✭✭Axwell

Don’t drink or smoke or do drugs. Nice try though princess.
    Enjoy your bottle of wine and talking to your cat for the night. Probably only pussy you get anyway.

Mod: Both of you banned for a week - I wouldn't hurry back either if you are gonna carry on like this.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,157 ✭✭✭Man Vs ManUre

jimmii wrote: »
    It's insane. It's not like he mixes it up really you know exactly what he is going to do but absolutely no one seems to be able to handle it! It would be very interesting if he did take the daring route and take aim at the bigger guys but doesn't look likely.

GSP cements his legacy more than any other fighter and he knows at this point hes probably going in a decent favourite.

GSP was so good he was able to win the title at 185. But Khabib won’t go for 170, yet seems obsessed to fight GSP at 155. Surely if GSP was to accept the offer it would be 170 or 165.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,543 ✭✭✭✭The Nal

So good, so "effective", so boring.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,935 ✭✭✭Tazzimus

Dustin Poirier by Sub
    GSP was so good he was able to win the title at 185. But Khabib won’t go for 170, yet seems obsessed to fight GSP at 155. Surely if GSP was to accept the offer it would be 170 or 165.

GSP had possibly the easiest title fight at 185 in Bisping.
    While Bisping was quite good, he wasn't on the same level as GSP.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,935 ✭✭✭Tazzimus

Dustin Poirier by Sub
    The Nal wrote: »
    So good, so "effective", so boring.

It's not boring if you actually understand MMA and how he fights.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,380 ✭✭✭Gamb!t

Khabib Nurmagomedov on Points
    I'm surprised how easy Khabbib made that look.
    Poirier looked like a beaten man very early in the fight and tired very quickly.

I always thought Tony Ferg would beat Khabbib but I'm not so sure anymore.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,841 ✭✭✭✭mailburner

Dustin Poirier by Sub
    GSP was so good he was able to win the title at 185. .

He beat bisping

He probably wouldn't have came back if luke was still champ and jumped ship before the whittaker fight. It wasn't that risky of a fight for him to take and was never going to be knocked out.
    I'd say he and all his coaches were 80-90% sure he'd beat mike.

• Advertisement

Can’t believe Conor was dumb enough to fight this guy after something like 18 months without a fight.

With peak sharpness, I think Conor can cause him problems.

But he needs to have some fights first.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,841 ✭✭✭✭mailburner

Dustin Poirier by Sub
    Gamb!t wrote: »

I always thought Tony Ferg would beat Khabbib but I'm not so sure anymore.

I was thinking same until tonight

• Registered Users Posts: 17,986 ✭✭✭✭rob316

Can’t believe Conor was dumb enough to fight this guy after something like 18 months without a fight.

With peak sharpness, I think Conor can cause him problems.

But he needs to have some fights first.

McGregor could fight him ten times the result would be the same. You need excellent wrestling and creative striking to beat him, Ferguson ticks both those.

I’m not sure why everyone is so obsessed with Ferguson. Out of the 12 wind there is not too many that are that impressive. I think the focused Conor of 205 would easily beat him. Tony last fight didn’t even end.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,651 ✭✭✭US2

Dustin Poirier by KO/TKO
    I’m not sure why everyone is so obsessed with Ferguson. Out of the 12 wind there is not too many that are that impressive. I think the focused Conor of 205 would easily beat him. Tony last fight didn’t even end.

We don't have a time machine so no point talking about 2015 Conor who was taking down with ease by Chad Mendes

US2 wrote: »
    We don't have a time machine so no point talking about 2015 Conor who was taking down with ease by Chad Mendes

Lol I was talking bout November 2016 when Conor beat Eddie.
    Maybe Eddie was lucky to be champ, but Conor beat him so easy, and looked so good. He was so good.
    Year and bit earlier vs Mendes was a big test for him, with s bad injury, and he passed it like a stud. I wisher could have the Conor from that era back. But I think he is still there and will come back.

• Registered Users Posts: 37,693 ✭✭✭✭eagle eye

Compare Tony's last 12 oponents with Khabib's and if anything Tony has fought better quality but it's pretty even.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,724 ✭✭✭SureYWouldntYa

And yet how many have a 12 fight win streak, plenty of fighters across the board maybe aren’t impressive yet you can count the amount of 12 fight win streaks on your 2 hands

Both Tony and Khabib are up to a 12 fight win streak in the same division, how could people not be excited for that matchup

Tazzimus wrote: »

I understand both.

He's exceptional. Could be unbeatable.

But boring. No one wants to watch 15 minutes of methodical wrestling.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,005 ✭✭✭BDI

Khabib Nurmagomedov by Sub
    Khabib outclasses the division. He looks like mcgregor when mcgregor was a weight class down.

Nobody is doing anything in that division unless khabib goes up a class or they go down a class.

I can’t see mcgregor ever cutting down below the lightweight size again. He hasn’t got the mettle for it anymore.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 37,693 ✭✭✭✭eagle eye

Tazzimus wrote:
    I'd agree and disagree. It's relatively boring but fascinating at the same time.
    Like it's not nearly as exciting as Cowboy versus Tony for instance.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,588 ✭✭✭derfderf

Dustin Poirier by KO/TKO
    mailburner wrote: »
    GSP was so good he was able to win the title at 185. .

He beat bisping

He probably wouldn't have came back if luke was still champ and jumped ship before the whittaker fight. It wasn't that risky of a fight for him to take and was never going to be knocked out.

Can you imagine if it was Yoel he had to fight?

• Registered Users Posts: 14,810 ✭✭✭✭jimmii

GSP was obviously amazing but is almost 40 and hasn't really fought in 6 years. Peak GSP finds a way but now GSP? I couldn't see it happening. I think it would be great to see Khabih test himself at 170 where it really looks like theres guys with skill sets that would cause him issues and where you would think he wouldn't be able to throw guys around with such ease! Imagine getting the 155 and 170 belts now those are two super tough divisions.

• Registered Users Posts: 763 ✭✭✭princemuzzy

He is boring don't care what anyone says he's unreal but boring

Wimbelson and Stoke were decent too but I'd rather watch my dog have a **** on my lawn

• Registered Users Posts: 4,367 ✭✭✭Homelander

Khabib is really faultless to be fair to the guy, he just manhandles everyone and makes it look so easy and almost skillless, when it couldn't be any more the opposite. In retrospect you have to admire Al for going all 5 rounds and withstanding the ground-onslaught. Also wonder if those people who claimed "Conor was mauled/exposed/found out/other nonsensical phrases" will revisit those statements after seeing Porier destroyed far worse on such a major stage. He did land one solid right though on the chin. I also agree about GSP. Not sure I want to see that fight at this point. Sure, people can be competitive at that age, but he's not gonna be prime GSP.

mailburner wrote: »
    He beat bisping

Rockhold is rubbish. GSP would mangle him after a dozen pints.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,010 ✭✭✭✭L'prof

I don’t think Khabib is boring at all. He’s fascinating and has probably been added to the very small list of fighters that I will watch in the UFC. I’m no superfan or expert and I’m well aware of this. The problem with Khabib for me is he’s just not entertaining

• Registered Users Posts: 7,056 ✭✭✭darced

Ferguson got out grappled and mounted easily by Kevin Lee who then gassed. Khabib will not gas, Tony will have nothing for Khabib on the ground.

Enjoyed the masterclass from Khabib but Dustin was so, so close with the choke.

How come the face crank didn't work on Dustin?

darced wrote: »
    Ferguson got out grappled and mounted easily by Kevin Lee who then gassed. Khabib will not gas, Tony will have nothing for Khabib on the ground.

Enjoyed the masterclass from Khabib but Dustin was so, so close with the choke.

How come the face crank didn't work on Dustin?

Didn't have his legs wrapped up like he did with Conor. Was earlier in the fight too so Poirier wouldn't have been as tired.

Masterclass from Khabib. I was knackered just looking at Poirier squirming about. He almost had Khabib with that choke though in fairness. Very very close.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,056 ✭✭✭Too Tough To Die

Khabib reminds me of Wlad Klitschko's jab & grab reign of terror.

Advertisement