Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

January 2020 Recruitment.

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 14 Mcztg_93

PSNI2020 wrote: »
    Got an email to say I’ve successfully completed the vetting process today! Just over 7 weeks from it being submitted. Just the medical to go but I haven’t received a date for it yet, I can’t see it being this side of Christmas now.

Well done! I got my email today too, just under 8 weeks.

• Registered Users Posts: 23 CG97

Hey, just seen this!

So how’s everyone finding this recruitment? First time applying and waiting on the dreaded AC result! Soo gutted it’s been pushed back to jan! I’ve been waiting since late august to hear lol.

Does anyone know what’s it marked out if and any idea what the pass mark is?

• Registered Users Posts: 28 CoAntrim24

CG97 wrote: »
    Hey, just seen this!

So how’s everyone finding this recruitment? First time applying and waiting on the dreaded AC result! Soo gutted it’s been pushed back to jan! I’ve been waiting since late august to hear lol.

Does anyone know what’s it marked out if and any idea what the pass mark is?

Im not too sure what it is marked out of and the pass mark changes each campaign mate, not sure how much it changes by but aye.

All the best mate, at least you know the wait will be over in a few months.

• Registered Users Posts: 79 ✭✭Columbo1234

Mcztg_93 wrote: »
    Well done! I got my email today too, just under 8 weeks.

Congrats both and well done !

My vetting has only been away 4 weeks now. It’s great to hear of more people getting their vetting back relatively quickly. All being well I’d love to see mine cleared by end of January so fingers crossed. My PCA is in not to distant future.

• Registered Users Posts: 22 PSNI2020

What all’s involved in the medical? Or is that classified information?

• Advertisement

CoAntrim24 wrote: »
    Im not too sure what it is marked out of and the pass mark changes each campaign mate, not sure how much it changes by but aye.

All the best mate, at least you know the wait will be over in a few months.

Well I know i haven’t been on the FT. But feeling pretty confident and thought I got plenty of information from the assessment actors. But the wait is killing me lol

Probably what you can imagine, I done a medical in the army a few years back and I’d say it’s more less similar, height/weight etc. Eyes and ears, medical conditions/medication/injuries etc

• Registered Users Posts: 342 ✭✭MrChew

It's all easily accessible online. Urine test, blood pressure, eye test, hearing test, height, weight, lung function, listen to your chest and heart, probably some joint flexibility, and a q and a with the doctor if there's anything on your MHQ.

• Registered Users Posts: 52 ✭✭Paulo345

Considering eye surgery for the medical!

I’ve been to a consultation and know there’s several types you can get (lasek, PRK, etc). I think I heard somewhere that they want stable vision 3 months post op to be given entry to GV?

Are there any forms of surgery that the PSNI won’t allow?

Paulo345 wrote: »

I’ve been to a consultation and know there’s several types you can get (lasek, PRK, etc). I think I heard somewhere that they want stable vision 3 months post op to be given entry to GV?

Do you not meet the standard without?

Your best bet might be to email OH and ask which surgery is acceptable.

• Advertisement

MrChew wrote: »
    Do you not meet the standard without?

Your best bet might be to email OH and ask which surgery is acceptable.

Not a chance I’d meet the standard I’m afraid! , would like to get something done ASAP though to get past that 3 month window.

Not a chance I’d meet the standard I’m afraid! , would like to get something done ASAP though to get past that 3 month window.

Really, I've heard differing things about laser eye surgery and the time window they want. I'd definitely give them a shout in that regard, though any mainstream laser eye surgery would be acceptable to them.

Really, I've heard differing things about laser eye surgery and the time window they want. I'd definitely give them a shout in that regard, though any mainstream laser eye surgery would be acceptable to them.

Just checked the frequently asked questions section on the website and under the medical headline it says

If I get laser eye surgery will I meet the eyesight standards to join the PSNI?

Laser eye surgery is usually very successful and is not a barrier to recruitment provided that:

There are no complications.
    The operation corrects visual acuity to meet the PSNI eyesight standard.
    Recovery is rapid and PSNI do not have strict post-surgery time limits for considering your application. As a general rule the PSNI like to see stable vision for about 3 months with no side effects (post-op) before offering a candidate employment. The candidate simply has to meet the standard when they present for medical. We cannot offer advice on the variety of laser eye surgery options available.

Just checked the frequently asked questions section on the website and under the medical headline it says

If I get laser eye surgery will I meet the eyesight standards to join the PSNI?

Laser eye surgery is usually very successful and is not a barrier to recruitment provided that:

There are no complications.
    The operation corrects visual acuity to meet the PSNI eyesight standard.
    Recovery is rapid and PSNI do not have strict post-surgery time limits for considering your application. As a general rule the PSNI like to see stable vision for about 3 months with no side effects (post-op) before offering a candidate employment. The candidate simply has to meet the standard when they present for medical. We cannot offer advice on the variety of laser eye surgery options available.

Well there ya go.

So you could get the surgery, do your medical, and start GV once your three months have elapsed?

• Registered Users Posts: 148 ✭✭mariyapsni

Paulo345, i am in the same boat as you, just in case i also pass the A/C :) So, i emailed the Recruitment team about the different eye surgeries - they said that they cannot comment on individual cases and advised the following: "The candidate simply has to meet the standard when they present for medical. We cannot offer advice on the variety of laser eye surgery options available." I hope this helps you.

• Registered Users Posts: 90 ✭✭Gonzo94

Well there ya go.

So you could get the surgery, do your medical, and start GV once your three months have elapsed?

Thats how I would read it. I'm sure they could clarify it for you too.

I had laser eye treatment done about 4 years ago. So if anyone has any questions. Feel free to fire them over and I'll help if I can.

mariyapsni wrote: »
    Paulo345, i am in the same boat as you, just in case i also pass the A/C :) So, i emailed the Recruitment team about the different eye surgeries - they said that they cannot comment on individual cases and advised the following: "The candidate simply has to meet the standard when they present for medical. We cannot offer advice on the variety of laser eye surgery options available." I hope this helps you.

Laser eye surgery booked, feels like we have to jump through so many hoops in the process! Shows how bad we want it.

Gonzo94 wrote: »
    Thats how I would read it. I'm sure they could clarify it for you too.

I had laser eye treatment done about 4 years ago. So if anyone has any questions. Feel free to fire them over and I'll help if I can.

Did they ask any questions in regards to your laser at the medical?

Well there ya go.

I think so, imagine getting the laser and failing on something else though :( . I’m very worried about the medical even though I know I’m healthy I do have a few injuries in the past from playing rugby that I hope they don’t fail me on those as they don’t affect me in the slightest and have long healed.

I think so, imagine getting the laser and failing on something else though :( . I’m very worried about the medical even though I know I’m healthy I do have a few injuries in the past from playing rugby that I hope they don’t fail me on those as they don’t affect me in the slightest and have long healed.

FWIW, loads of people who fail the medical at first pass succeed on appeal. Obviously, it would be better to pass first time, but there's still lots of reasons to be hopeful even if you don't. When your medical comes around, make sure you have as much documentation as possible related to your injuries - that seems to go a long way.

• Advertisement

FWIW, loads of people who fail the medical at first pass succeed on appeal. Obviously, it would be better to pass first time, but there's still lots of reasons to be hopeful even if you don't. When your medical comes around, make sure you have as much documentation as possible related to your injuries - that seems to go a long way.

Do they expect documentation for everything that’s down on your occupational health booklet?

Do they expect documentation for everything that’s down on your occupational health booklet?

It says in the invitation email that as far as possible you should bring supporting evidence for what you write in your MHQ. Like, the more supporting info you have, the less likely you'll fail and have to appeal.

Did my medical in the last few days, happy to answer any questions folks might have.

People had asked me previously about the eye test. I wear glasses so I had to do the following twice, once with my glasses off, and then again with them on:

A near sight test consisting of three paragraphs of small writing of varying sizes, the objective being to read the smallest your eyes could manage.

An extended Snellen chart, reading as far down as possible with each eye covered and then both eyes together. The chart used is a box on an axis, with different letters on each face and it is rotated after each reading so you aren't doing the same one over and over.

There was also a colour matching exercise to test colour blindness but I only had to do that once.

Interestingly, there was no lung function test on account of COVID but I was told that would need to be passed if I made it to garnerville.

Did my medical in the last few days, happy to answer any questions folks might have.

People had asked me previously about the eye test. I wear glasses so I had to do the following twice, once with my glasses off, and then again with them on:

A near sight test consisting of three paragraphs of small writing of varying sizes, the objective being to read the smallest your eyes could manage.

An extended Snellen chart, reading as far down as possible with each eye covered and then both eyes together. The chart used is a box on an axis, with different letters on each face and it is rotated after each reading so you aren't doing the same one over and over.

There was also a colour matching exercise to test colour blindness but I only had to do that once.

Interestingly, there was no lung function test on account of COVID but I was told that would need to be passed if I made it to garnerville.

Do you they tell you there and then if
    You pass or fail the medical, or do they send a email in due course?

CG97 wrote: »
    Do you they tell you there and then if
    You pass or fail the medical, or do they send a email in due course?

No, they kept schtum on every part. No idea if i've passed any of the parts at this point, other than a general feeling it went ok.

They say they will write to me but not sure if that means email or snail mail.

I'd add that the staff there are great - really put me at ease.

• Registered Users Posts: 32 SausageDog33

Finally got a medical date, even though its 7 weeks away!
    Hopefully have the vetting back before then.

• Registered Users Posts: 47 Wyl91

Anyone else from FT 1 waiting on vetting? Lol starting to worry!

• Registered Users Posts: 28 CoAntrim24

Wyl91 wrote: »
    Anyone else from FT 1 waiting on vetting? Lol starting to worry!

Yea mate still waiting on vetting... Would love to hear back soon.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 47 Wyl91

CoAntrim24 wrote: »
    Yea mate still waiting on vetting... Would love to hear back soon.

Would be such a relief to hear soon! Most people I know have got their vetting grand lol

Advertisement