Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

January 2020 Recruitment.

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 57 ✭✭Yukuza2008

MrChew wrote: »
    That's my PCA done and passed. It's all a bit of a blur.

If you don’t mind me asking but we’re you doing a lot of training for it?

• Registered Users Posts: 342 ✭✭MrChew

Yukuza2008 wrote: »
    If you don’t mind me asking but we’re you doing a lot of training for it?

I had been training since March for it. However, I am older than many applicants and am making one shot at this so I've been leaving nothing to chance. Also, prior to this, I've never done any exercise. At all. No team sports, no gym. My workouts consisted of bench pressing my kids and long walks to the fridge. So I had an exercise deficit to overcome. A moderately active person wouldn't need that much prep.

I started off with a couch to 5k, then 5k three times a week, then worked on getting down to less than a 4 and a half minute kilometer and in the last two months, twice weekly HIIT sessions and one 5k per week. That's as much as I could fit in around work and family.

All I can say with regards to the PCA is that cardio is more important than strength.

• Registered Users Posts: 57 ✭✭Yukuza2008

I had been training since March for it. However, I am older than many applicants and am making one shot at this so I've been leaving nothing to chance. Also, prior to this, I've never done any exercise. At all. No team sports, no gym. My workouts consisted of bench pressing my kids and long walks to the fridge. So I had an exercise deficit to overcome. A moderately active person wouldn't need that much prep.

I started off with a couch to 5k, then 5k three times a week, then worked on getting down to less than a 4 and a half minute kilometer and in the last two months, twice weekly HIIT sessions and one 5k per week. That's as much as I could fit in around work and family.

All I can say with regards to the PCA is that cardio is more important than strength.

Thanks for the reply. Well done again on passing. Hopefully the next couple of stages go quickly for you!

• Registered Users Posts: 148 ✭✭mariyapsni

MrChew, well done on your passed PCA. Indeed, it sounds as if cardio fitness will be essential for passing the PCA. Lets hope for our a/c results and in the mean time gear up our running :cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 31 RoboCop123

Hey folks, quick question. Does anyone know if vetting will contact my current employer and ask about me? Not that I have anything to hide - just would prefer for them not to know about my application.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15 YamDiv6N

RoboCop123 wrote: »
    Hey folks, quick question. Does anyone know if vetting will contact my current employer and ask about me? Not that I have anything to hide - just would prefer for them not to know about my application.

I don't think they do contact your employer unless they've any major concerns or questions. Otherwise anything they need clarification on they'll come to you!

• Registered Users Posts: 31 RoboCop123

YamDiv6N wrote: »
    I don't think they do contact your employer unless they've any major concerns or questions. Otherwise anything they need clarification on they'll come to you!

I thought that mate, probably a security issue in doing so. Thank you

• Registered Users Posts: 22 PSNI2020

Do we have to bring a print out of the PCA invitation email or will on your phone do?

PSNI2020 wrote: »
    Do we have to bring a print out of the PCA invitation email or will on your phone do?

Have it on your phone. Tbh, they didn't check my invite, had my name on the list and checked it against my ID.

• Registered Users Posts: 291 ✭✭Si_zx10r

I take it noones heard anything about upcoming results or more F/T? Was talking to friend in police said it would make sense to still give results to those that have attended on the 4/12/20 so as not to further delay the process and give out merit order once the remaining candidates have attended a/c. Hopefully thats what happens

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 87 ✭✭walkman2302

I received a new date for AC on Friday. I believe one of the FT had said previously that the results would be released in Jan.

• Registered Users Posts: 90 ✭✭Gonzo94

I know people have received their rescheduled AC dates. I got mine on Friday there. I was hoping I wouldnt need to attend though. I doubt results will be out before January.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20 Brodin2693

I can’t see any results before Jan either, you would have thought given the fact that the restrictions have been extended and are likely to be again in mid Dec, we would have received some sort of update via the JoinPSNI website or mass email, seems a bit iffy that we have only heard about the potential delay in results via someone who has been FT’d

• Registered Users Posts: 148 ✭✭mariyapsni

Gosh, i really hope we have passed, because in my understanding, if we have passed, we will be placed in the ML, is that right? So, sooner or later, if everything else is ok (vetting PCA, medical) then we will get a start date even if this is in a year's time, as long as we have passed? Am I right in thinking that? :)

• Registered Users Posts: 52 ✭✭Paulo345

Passed the PCA , and received an email from vetting looking to clarify some things... anyone got a medical date yet or know when to expect one?

Paulo345 wrote: »
    Passed the PCA , and received an email from vetting looking to clarify some things... anyone got a medical date yet or know when to expect one?

Congrats matey, how did you find it?

No medical date as yet! Not sure of the timeline.

• Registered Users Posts: 79 ✭✭Columbo1234

Still no PCA date here yet. I’m hoping it will come this week or it looks like it will be January at the earliest.

Congrats matey, how did you find it?

No medical date as yet! Not sure of the timeline.

Thanks :) , found it ok , finished it with well over a minute to spare , can’t see many failing it!

Trying to get a gp to fill out the forms will be a nightmare I imagine

• Registered Users Posts: 19 RustInPeace90

Thanks :) , found it ok , finished it with well over a minute to spare , can’t see many failing it!

Trying to get a gp to fill out the forms will be a nightmare I imagine

An absolute nightmare. For all it is as well. Don’t obviously want to give myself away, but there wasn’t much for the GP to fill in and I’ve been waiting an infuriating amount of time. Someone’s close to getting an angry phone call...

To the guys with the reschedule, how far away roughly is your rescheduled date?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 21 Robbie200490

Obviously we can't say dates on this but it's a lot sooner than I actually thought it would be

Happy days, fingers crossed all done and dusted before Christmas 🤞

• Registered Users Posts: 138 ✭✭Blueandtwo1320

Bound to get some sort of update this week from the PSNI.

Results were supposed to be 4th December so should be some sort of update soon

• Registered Users Posts: 138 ✭✭Blueandtwo1320

it's hard after putting in the effort for a few months before the assessment, finally building yourself up to do the assessment and then waiting for another couple of months and still not knowing if you have passed/failed, or even know when you will get your results! :(

I know how you feel and we are all feeling the same but the whole rona thing has put a massive spanner in the works. Its frustrating not knowing if we have passed or failed but the wait is nearly over. Been 3 months since my a/c and 4 months for others and 9 months since we all first applied. 2 months and should know if we are progressing or not and this part of process done and dusted.

• Registered Users Posts: 32 SausageDog33

Does anyone have medical dates yet?

Anyone know what common reasons for failing vetting are? Vetting been away 5 or 6 weeks now, I don’t have any convictions and never had any police problems except a time when I was in my early teens (no caution or anything). Do they take jobs you’ve had into consideration? Never had a job that is anything even close to police in my life.

Thought I would hear something back by now, expecting a fail email everytime I check my emails isn’t fun :(

• Registered Users Posts: 90 ✭✭Gonzo94

I think failure to disclose information and previous convictions are the reasons most people fail.

I know how you feel about the wait. But try not to read too much into other people's vetting come back really fast. The average will be 12 to 16 weeks. Mine took 42 weeks.

I ended up being called for an interview because of a family member. Just try and focus on the other parts of the process. Its hard I know. I should have already been in GV months ago only for my vetting taking ages.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 79 ✭✭Columbo1234

Anyone know what common reasons for failing vetting are? Vetting been away 5 or 6 weeks now, I don’t have any convictions and never had any police problems except a time when I was in my early teens (no caution or anything). Do they take jobs you’ve had into consideration? Never had a job that is anything even close to police in my life.

Thought I would hear something back by now, expecting a fail email everytime I check my emails isn’t fun :(

Try not to worry. The average time for vetting is around 3 months and can take much longer in some cases. It’s different for everyone and just because you haven’t had any issues with police or no financial issues etc doesn’t mean it will clear faster. From reading the vetting threads on this forum over the years there is no way to succinctly rationalise why it takes different lengths for different people, in some cases it seems on the outside to be a bit of a lottery in terms of the time that vetting takes to clear. For example surprisingly on occasion some people with more blemishes with a checkable history have cleared faster. If they need more info they will contact you directly and should there be any issues you will have a robust appeal process so try not to panic.

If you’ve no issues you are concerned about you shouldn’t have any problems so try not to stress you’ll hear some good news soon I’m sure.

Advertisement