Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

January 2020 Recruitment.

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 19 RustInPeace90

Hi folks, couple of queries if anyone can set my mind at ease:

1) Missed the PCA familiarisation due to work commitments. Would someone mind posting the top tips or helpful info they received on the day from the people running the event.

2) Medical - If someone could explain the eye test in detail, namely the bare minimum to pass. My good eye is 20/20, my bad eye can't read the fourth row down and I don't wear glasses or contacts. Also what else does the medical entail? I know there's a list on pg. 38 of the applicant guidance but it's vague. I don't smoke or drink or have ever taken drugs so those aspects I'm not worried about.

Sorry if I've asked info that's already been doled out, just have some anxieties about the unknowns. Can't wait for all this to be over frankly!

• Registered Users Posts: 23 CMAG90

So have the online learning to do... just wondering if it makes a difference to submit the cert for this sooner? Can't imagine it taking me the 4 weeks to go through it... if I submit next week will it allow the next stage to come quicker or not... thanks 😊

• Registered Users Posts: 47 Wyl91

Hi folks, couple of queries if anyone can set my mind at ease:

1) Missed the PCA familiarisation due to work commitments. Would someone mind posting the top tips or helpful info they received on the day from the people running the event.

2) Medical - If someone could explain the eye test in detail, namely the bare minimum to pass. My good eye is 20/20, my bad eye can't read the fourth row down and I don't wear glasses or contacts. Also what else does the medical entail? I know there's a list on pg. 38 of the applicant guidance but it's vague. I don't smoke or drink or have ever taken drugs so those aspects I'm not worried about.

Sorry if I've asked info that's already been doled out, just have some anxieties about the unknowns. Can't wait for all this to be over frankly!

Hey sorry I haven’t got much advice about the medical as I don’t know!

My fam day we were just told it’s a max effort test so give it stacks all the way round.

On the day you’ll get a chance to see the course and have a go on anything before the actual test so don’t be worrying about that.

• Registered Users Posts: 46 Newbieee

At 4 minutes 30 everyone should pass the PCA. No training would be required for it tbh.

Put it this way I went sub 3 minutes and I don’t go to the gym or work out. There’s a video on YouTube outlining the course which is handy though

The medical is very in-depth and the do check quite a few things from lung capacity to urine samples. I think you have to achieve the top 4/5 lines on the chart each eye unaided and the both together. In short it differs from person to person but if you’re over a -2.00 in each eye you could struggle

• Registered Users Posts: 19 RustInPeace90

Newbieee wrote: »
    At 4 minutes 30 everyone should pass the PCA. No training would be required for it tbh.

Put it this way I went sub 3 minutes and I don’t go to the gym or work out. There’s a video on YouTube outlining the course which is handy though

The medical is very in-depth and the do check quite a few things from lung capacity to urine samples. I think you have to achieve the top 4/5 lines on the chart each eye unaided and the both together. In short it differs from person to person but if you’re over a -2.00 in each eye you could struggle

Do they let you know during the medical if you’ve failed the eye test etc? I know obviously the SMT has to be sent away etc but will the doctor let you know then and there if for example your eyesight is too poor for your application to progress?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 32 SausageDog33

CMAG90 wrote: »
    So have the online learning to do... just wondering if it makes a difference to submit the cert for this sooner? Can't imagine it taking me the 4 weeks to go through it... if I submit next week will it allow the next stage to come quicker or not... thanks 😊

I've done mine and sent it off, its just another thing out the way with now. Won't mean anything else will be faster.

• Registered Users Posts: 46 Newbieee

Do they let you know during the medical if you’ve failed the eye test etc? I know obviously the SMT has to be sent away etc but will the doctor let you know then and there if for example your eyesight is too poor for your application to progress?

Usually a few days to a week later. May differ for this campaign though

• Registered Users Posts: 342 ✭✭MrChew

I don't think they do, you'll wait a few days.

However, the standards are there in black and white- why not take them along to an optician and see what they say? And if you don't meet the standard as is, then what might be done to help you. No point going into the medical with such a big question mark hanging over your head.

You need to be able to read down to the bottom of the Snellen chart with both eyes, with one eye able to make it to at least the second last line, and the other the fourth last line. If you wear glasses, you need to be able to read the top two lines without glasses with both eyes, then the above standard with your glasses on.

They ask you to read the chart six times if you wear glasses, three if you don't. Once with each eye and once with both eyes, then repeated with glasses on if you wear them. It's a changing chart so you arent doing the same letters each time.

• Registered Users Posts: 47 Wyl91

Deffo advise going to your optician. I’ve went to get eyes tested and hearing done to make sure I meet the requirements. Saves any extra worry!

Newbieee wrote: »

Do you still need to strip down to your keks at the end of the medical?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 31 RoboCop123

Hey everyone, I received my fast track email last Friday. Does anyone have a rough idea when they expect medicals to take place? Also, good luck to everyone and those waiting for their AC, wishing you all the best!

• Registered Users Posts: 79 ✭✭Columbo1234

RoboCop123 wrote: »
    Hey everyone, I received my fast track email last Friday. Does anyone have a rough idea when they expect medicals to take place? Also, good luck to everyone and those waiting for their AC, wishing you all the best!

I’m thinking we might get our vetting forms tomorrow or Monday and then a PCA date shortly after maybe for early December ish. If we pass PCA my guess is Medicals could be just before or just after Christmas.

November and December is going to be like a rocky montage between training and dieting for me. Roll on January lol

• Registered Users Posts: 10 Marcus767

Hi all,

Big of a long winded one but I’m at my wits end with anxiety about the next stages.

Found out I was fast tracked last week and was buzzing to say the least. Did a bit more research into the next stages specifically the medical/SMT

I’m not sure if I’ve been naive or just bloody stupid on this matter but long story short I hurt myself in the gym just over a month ago. My mother who has also a damaged shoulder gave me some painkiller medication to take for the pain these were codiene 30mg says on the pack. Took them few weeks on and off, saw a physio and got a few sports massages and I was then dead on. Back up and training no issue and no need to take painkillers.

Now from what I’m reading and I’m no chemistry buff but codiene falls into an opiate bracket! Now I’m pure Kecking myself. Should I see my dr to back me up? Will I fail a drug test? Has this ruined my chances. Feel sick with worry so any advice would be appreciated.

TIA Marcus

Marcus767 wrote: »
    Hi all,

Big of a long winded one but I’m at my wits end with anxiety about the next stages.

Found out I was fast tracked last week and was buzzing to say the least. Did a bit more research into the next stages specifically the medical/SMT

I’m not sure if I’ve been naive or just bloody stupid on this matter but long story short I hurt myself in the gym just over a month ago. My mother who has also a damaged shoulder gave me some painkiller medication to take for the pain these were codiene 30mg says on the pack. Took them few weeks on and off, saw a physio and got a few sports massages and I was then dead on. Back up and training no issue and no need to take painkillers.

Now from what I’m reading and I’m no chemistry buff but codiene falls into an opiate bracket! Now I’m pure Kecking myself. Should I see my dr to back me up? Will I fail a drug test? Has this ruined my chances. Feel sick with worry so any advice would be appreciated.

TIA Marcus

They ask you to list pretty much everything that you are taking, both medications and supplements. You're not going to get binned over a medication that can be obtained over the counter, albeit at lower doses. Just declare it and you'll be grand.

MrChew wrote: »
    They ask you to list pretty much everything that you are taking, both medications and supplements. You're not going to get binned over a medication that can be obtained over the counter, albeit at lower doses. Just declare it and you'll be grand.

Thank you Mr chew. You’re a beacon of knowledge mate really appreciate you taking the time.

I may go look at my supplements etc lol I want to be ready! This whole process makes you doubt yourself like I would never take anything illegal ever or misuse anything so I’m hoping that’s clear.

Appreciate it again mate.

Thank you Mr chew. You’re a beacon of knowledge mate really appreciate you taking the time.

I may go look at my supplements etc lol I want to be ready! This whole process makes you doubt yourself like I would never take anything illegal ever or misuse anything so I’m hoping that’s clear.

Appreciate it again mate.

No worries, this process drives you to distraction. Good luck with the next stages.

• Registered Users Posts: 84 ✭✭Belfast86

Drug screening

Drug screening refers to the analysis of biological materials to detect the presence or absence of drugs within the human body.

The process involves samples of hair being collected and analysed to determine whether any of the following six core substances are present

Cannabinoids (cannabis)
    Amphetamines (including ecstasy)
    Cocaine
    Opiates (eg. morphine and heroin)
    Benzodazepines
    Methamphetamines
    Before this you will be required to complete a consent form to confirm that

you consent to the screening taking place
    you accept that a positive screening will be recorded on your medical file (if applicable)
    you have declared if you have taken any medicines within the period relevant to the history
    you consent to results (positive or negative) being passed onto the Resourcing department team responsible for your application
    you understand that a positive result could affect a successful application.

——-

Assuming your medical isn’t going to be this side of Christmas. If you still have other stages to complete. Anyway a quick google search will show you what the active life of codine is

Codeine can be detected for up to 48 hours in urine, 21 hours in saliva, and 10 weeks in hair.

Belfast86 wrote: »
    Drug screening

Drug screening refers to the analysis of biological materials to detect the presence or absence of drugs within the human body.

The process involves samples of hair being collected and analysed to determine whether any of the following six core substances are present

Cannabinoids (cannabis)
    Amphetamines (including ecstasy)
    Cocaine
    Opiates (eg. morphine and heroin)
    Benzodazepines
    Methamphetamines
    Before this you will be required to complete a consent form to confirm that

you consent to the screening taking place
    you accept that a positive screening will be recorded on your medical file (if applicable)
    you have declared if you have taken any medicines within the period relevant to the history
    you consent to results (positive or negative) being passed onto the Resourcing department team responsible for your application
    you understand that a positive result could affect a successful application.

——-

Assuming your medical isn’t going to be this side of Christmas. If you still have other stages to complete. Anyway a quick google search will show you what the active life of codine is

Codeine can be detected for up to 48 hours in urine, 21 hours in saliva, and 10 weeks in hair.

Hey. I did do a google search and found a lot of different opinions many stating 90days being more the norm for retention.

Are you suggesting then this would be a cause for concern for me? Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 8 Klaus2020

Hey. I did do a google search and found a lot of different opinions many stating 90days being more the norm for retention.

I'm sure its looking to find anything over and above a regular prescribed dose. You just state you have taken it so that the ingredient might show up and they know its been declared.

Klaus2020 wrote: »
    I'm sure its looking to find anything over and above a regular prescribed dose. You just state you have taken it so that the ingredient might show up and they know its been declared.

Yeah that’s what I’m hoping because I never took anything beyond a regular dose and won’t be taking anymore so hoping just being open about then it will be okay. I think I was worrying it’s presence alone would be cause for concern

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 203 ✭✭sharon1986

Yeah that’s what I’m hoping because I never took anything beyond a regular dose and won’t be taking anymore so hoping just being open about then it will be okay. I think I was worrying it’s presence alone would be cause for concern

Wouldnt be worried at all unless you have been abusing them! Recommended dosage will be fine and as long as u declare uv taken them and what for

sharon1986 wrote: »
    Wouldnt be worried at all unless you have been abusing them! Recommended dosage will be fine and as long as u declare uv taken them and what for

Thank you Sharon that helps ease my mind. Such a worrying process you just don’t want anything slipping you up when you’ve got this far. Thank you

• Registered Users Posts: 84 ✭✭Belfast86

No concern at all. One your medical probably won’t be this side off Christmas which means the codine will be out of your system. Two it’s not like you are abusing the medication. It was used for injury rehabilitation which you openly state when you declare your medication.

The biggest issue is you not declaring and it coming up. If your open about it all it shows your integrity to the situation.

In all honest if you were taking the low end of prescribed dosage it will more than likely be out of your system by medical.

Great information surrounding the SMT. Does anyone know if there is a cut-off limit for the test? My concern being, I was outside a shop recently and a couple of young people were clearly smoking a joint. The smell was very strong and I was close by for a few minutes and my concern being could the secondhand smoke show up on the SMT? I don't touch or use any drugs whatsoever.

Apologise if I'm coming across as extremely paranoid.

Thanks everyone

Great information surrounding the SMT. Does anyone know if there is a cut-off limit for the test? My concern being, I was outside a shop recently and a couple of young people were clearly smoking a joint. The smell was very strong and I was close by for a few minutes and my concern being could the secondhand smoke show up on the SMT? I don't touch or use any drugs whatsoever.

Apologise if I'm coming across as extremely paranoid.

Thanks everyone

This came up on the Medical thread iirc and I think the general consensus was that there was no way in hell that would show up.

This came up on the Medical thread iirc and I think the general consensus was that there was no way in hell that would show up.

Exactly the reply I wanted to hear, thanks pal - apologises if I sounded like a fruitcake lol.

Exactly the reply I wanted to hear, thanks pal - apologises if I sounded like a fruitcake lol.

Like I've said, if this process doesn't turn you into a fruitcake, nothing will. It's an indicator of how much you want it - if you weren't arsed, you wouldn't be freaking out at this sort of thing.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 341 ✭✭NornIron74

For SMT they ask what you have taken in the last 3 months, as others have said for painkillers you will be fine as long as you weren't overdoing them. Declare everything and you will be 100% I even declared Lemsip that I thought I had taken 3 months before lol
    There was somebody else that was worried that some strangers smoking cannabis near them would get them a fail but they passed so don't worry about it.

NornIron74 wrote: »
    For SMT they ask what you have taken in the last 3 months, as others have said for painkillers you will be fine as long as you weren't overdoing them. Declare everything and you will be 100% I even declared Lemsip that I thought I had taken 3 months before lol
    There was somebody else that was worried that some strangers smoking cannabis near them would get them a fail but they passed so don't worry about it.

Thanks guys. Feeling much more confident now! Appreciate you all taking the time.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8 Klaus2020

Same and same.

Just got word I passed my vetting and all - three weeks on the button.

For the vetting process did this show up on your credit report? I'm keeping an eye out but not sure if it will show or not

Advertisement