Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Autumn 2019 - General Discussion

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,054 ✭✭✭D.Q

Was today not meant to be brighter. Few showers according to met eireann. Exact same as its been all week in wicklow/Dublin

• Registered Users Posts: 2,479 ✭✭✭Kamili

DOCARCH wrote: »
    June 2012 would be hard to beat with 242.4mm that month.

Don't tempt the weather!

Depressing here in south dublin too. Raining quite heavily in places.

I'm really struggling with winter this year.. I'm quite an outdoorsy person and its been non stop rain.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,140 ✭✭✭highdef

Kamili wrote: »
    Don't tempt the weather!

Depressing here in south dublin too. Raining quite heavily in places.

I'm really struggling with winter this year.. I'm quite an outdoorsy person and its been non stop rain.

You're in for a treat because winter does not begin until Sunday so if you're struggling before winter even begins, you may need help :p

Having said that, there are signs that things may well improve as we move into meteorological winter.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,431 ✭✭✭Mortelaro

Suns perform out in Arklow now
    2.2mm since midnight
    Ashford co Wicklow is up to 281.6mm for November
    Sea level 1 mile from the coast,not up the mountains somewhere either!

#ashfordwatch

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,716 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

DOCARCH wrote: »
    Raining again in Dublin 16. 2.2mm so far today.

183.4mm for the month so far. Now the wettest month here since June 2012.

June 2012 would be hard to beat with 242.4mm that month.

I think this is worse than June 2012 because we've had 3 months of well above average rainfall leading up to this month already! The flooding here has certainly been more frequent and harder to shift due to the excessive saturation of the soil since mid September. Looks like we're finally going to get a bit of a break from all the rain over the next week and hopefully the land will dry out somewhat.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,479 ✭✭✭Kamili

highdef wrote: »
    You're in for a treat because winter does not begin until Sunday so if you're struggling before winter even begins, you may need help :p

Having said that, there are signs that things may well improve as we move into meteorological winter.

I do need help!

I honestly don't mind the cold, its the constant wet that gets me.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,378 ✭✭✭HighLine

Mortelaro wrote: »
    Suns perform out in Arklow now
    2.2mm since midnight
    Ashford co Wicklow is up to 281.6mm for November
    Sea level 1 mile from the coast,not up the mountains somewhere either!

#ashfordwatch

Some amount of rain alright. I was trying to look through the site to find out what their highest monthly totals have been but couldn't find it. I would say this month is up there.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,513 ✭✭✭✭sryanbruen

Ashford (Cronykeery) saw 318.3mm in December 2015.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,880 ✭✭✭pauldry

My rain gauge in Sligo has 102mm.

Id say 110mm is the most we will end on with dry weekend coming

• Registered Users Posts: 1,979 ✭✭✭Slashermcguirk

I cant recall ever seeing this much rain in a month in Dublin. It has been crazy and so unusual. I think we often take for granted how much drier Dublin usually is, how anybody could bear weather like this more than one month a year !!

November tends to be a very grim month anyway but this has been appalling

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,677 ✭✭✭SleetAndSnow

Dry but cloudy in cork city all day. River was getting high again around 5pm while I was coming home but it didn't flood. Chilly out there though!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,880 ✭✭✭pauldry

I cant recall ever seeing this much rain in a month in Dublin. It has been crazy and so unusual. I think we often take for granted how much drier Dublin usually is, how anybody could bear weather like this more than one month a year !!

So you see now what an average August is like in the West

• Registered Users Posts: 1,981 ✭✭✭squarecircles

its all relative to where you are,e,g somebody from Barcelona would find it appalling living in the Dublin climate. My spanish friend felt depressed living there a few years ago,not sure if it was totally because of the weather though,she said it was also very dirty,boring and expensive.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,235 ✭✭✭Oneiric 3

its all relative to where you are,e,g somebody from Barcelona would find it appalling living in the Dublin climate. My spanish friend felt depressed living there a few years ago,not sure if it was totally because of the weather though,she said it was also very dirty,boring and expensive.

I worked with a Spanish guy a couple of years ago and on one particular warm and sticky day, he was clearly struggling with the oppressive feel to the air, and he actually said, and I quote, that 'Irish heat is an ugly heat'. Perfectly put and he isn't wrong. In fact, I would go one further and say that typical mP cold in this country is just as ugly in the winter. During the 'beast from the east' spell in Feb/March 2018, it didn't feel half as miserable outside at -5.0c in a gale gusting continental sourced easterly as the typical +6 or 7c dank, penetrating chill of the more usual Atlantic W or NW'ly. It's funny how that works.

New Moon

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,716 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

Oneiric 3 wrote: »
    During the 'beast from the east' spell in Feb/March 2018, it didn't feel half as miserable outside at -5.0c in a gale gusting continental sourced easterly as the typical +6 or 7c dank, penetrating chill of the more usual Atlantic W or NW'ly. It's funny how that works.

I well believe it. The past month has been awful, mostly cold and very wet, temperatures of 6 to 8C by day and sheets of rain feels much colder than any easterly in general. Cold and damp north-westerlies generally feel bone chilling cold, yet in reality are often too mild for wintry precipitation.

Ha, Spanish people are only ever happy when they are home! They are obsessed with talking about their home places - the weather, the cooking etc etc!

Getting our garden landscaped at the moment and what was supposed to take three weeks is now pushing on to five. Thankfully, the weather here in Cork was good the last two days and the place can dry out a bit.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,023 ✭✭✭Donegal Storm

Was actually a nice enough month up here until this week, nowhere near as wet as the east and we've had plenty of calm sunny weather. This week though has been awful with rain and drizzle every day

• Registered Users Posts: 529 ✭✭✭Goldfinch8

Thankfully the blanket of gloom has finally been displaced here in Central Mayo and stars speckle the sky once more. A refreshing crispness to the air. I will celebrate the small victories. 2c.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 11,090 Mod ✭✭✭✭igCorcaigh

I felt really warm yesterday evening. Maybe I'm sick.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,235 ✭✭✭Oneiric 3

Like a Summer's morning in Galway. Total contrast to the recent gloom.

New Moon

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,140 ✭✭✭highdef

Oneiric 3 wrote: »
    Like a Summer's morning in Galway. Total contrast to the recent gloom.

So jealous. Would love to be comfortably warm in shorts and t-shirt outside on a late November morning. In the East Midlands, it's much more autumnal with temperatures just above freezing but with a clear sky and light winds..... Definitely not like a summers morning here!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,426 ✭✭✭ZX7R

igCorcaigh wrote: »
    I felt really warm yesterday evening. Maybe I'm sick.

Yesterday up to around 11pm I was sweating in work temperature was a balmy 10c half an hour later it was 2c , by 6am - 1

• Registered Users Posts: 48,132 ✭✭✭✭km79

Unreal sky driving through Tuam this morning

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 17,710 Mod ✭✭✭✭DOCARCH

Raining in Dublin city centre.

• Registered Users Posts: 530 ✭✭✭new2tri19

Worst month i've ever cycled to work , and been cycling in and out of Dublin for years. The most annoying thing is not the rain its the fact that Met eireann app shows no rain most days and yet you go out the door and 10 mins later its lashing , they are really not fit for purpose I've stopped checking the app because its pointless.

• Registered Users Posts: 889 ✭✭✭alentejo

new2tri19 wrote: »
    Worst month i've ever cycled to work , and been cycling in and out of Dublin for years. The most annoying thing is not the rain its the fact that Met eireann app shows no rain most days and yet you go out the door and 10 mins later its lashing , they are really not fit for purpose I've stopped checking the app because its pointless.

Totally agree with this. I appreciate that some of the rain in Dublin was the wrong side of marginal this November but the ME app was always wrong and innuracte.

First decent dry day in so long, first time to see the sun shine in what seems like weeks. A decent frost here last night, should be a few more days of nice, dry, frosty and settled conditions before the Atlantic is unleashed yet again in about a weeks time.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,985 ✭✭✭Artane2002

This is the first bit of sunshine in Dublin 5 in a while, last time I remember seeing sunshine was Tuesday last week! Unfortunately it wasn't completely dry with some rain around noon. I haven't seen the ground this saturated in a very long time.

Artane2002 wrote: »
    I haven't seen the ground this saturated in a very long time.

Same situation here, the ground is still saturated, but hopefully things will dry up somewhat over the next 6 days. We need this brief moment of settled conditions because it does look like we are in for a very unsettled period from 2nd week of December right up to New Years Day. Hopefully the medium term models are wrong about this.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,431 ✭✭✭Mortelaro

Gonzo wrote: »
    Same situation here, the ground is still saturated, but hopefully things will dry up somewhat over the next 6 days. We need this brief moment of settled conditions because it does look like we are in for a very unsettled period from 2nd week of December right up to New Years Day. Hopefully the medium term models are wrong about this.

Anything beyond day 6 tbh is as reliable as a boiling snowflake
    Of course they will be wrong
    New years day is 33 days away for heavens sake

Advertisement