Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Autumn 2019 - General Discussion

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,985 ✭✭✭Artane2002

Oneiric 3 wrote: »
    Dooooooblin Apt now the wettest station in the land (there may be wetter stations on the 'WOW' network, but can't be arsed calculating them up) for this month so far with a total of 149.6mm, which is followed in close second by Dunsay's 143.3mm. In another oddity, both Sherkin Island and Finner Camp are proving to be the least wet this month so far, with totals of just 72.7mm and 74.8mm respectively.

Top 5 wettest November's on record at Dublin Apt (not including this month)

(mm)
    1.2002 - 185.8
    2.1965 - 182.3
    3.2009 - 171.3
    4.1995 - 145.6
    5.2000 - 141.3

All that data 'n' shhhhtuff from Met Eireann.

PS, has there every been a month where Dublin Airport, or any other eastern station, finished with the highest totals for any given month in history? I'm not sure but SyranB might.

I'm guessing October 2011. Also May 2017 and March 2018 had the highest total in Oak Park and Johnstown Castle respectively. I'm not sure if the southeast counts though.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,790 ✭✭✭appledrop

Another dreay morning here in North Couty Dublin. Lashing rain has now been replaced by fog + horrible drizzly crap so still not pleasant to be out in.

Ffs is it to much asking for some dry weather!

• Registered Users Posts: 13,511 ✭✭✭✭sryanbruen

Oneiric 3 wrote: »
    Dooooooblin Apt now the wettest station in the land (there may be wetter stations on the 'WOW' network, but can't be arsed calculating them up) for this month so far with a total of 149.6mm, which is followed in close second by Dunsay's 143.3mm. In another oddity, both Sherkin Island and Finner Camp are proving to be the least wet this month so far, with totals of just 72.7mm and 74.8mm respectively.

Top 5 wettest November's on record at Dublin Apt (not including this month)

(mm)
    1.2002 - 185.8
    2.1965 - 182.3
    3.2009 - 171.3
    4.1995 - 145.6
    5.2000 - 141.3

All that data 'n' shhhhtuff from Met Eireann.

PS, has there every been a month where Dublin Airport, or any other eastern station, finished with the highest totals for any given month in history? I'm not sure but SyranB might.

Forecast rainfall totals from this morning's model run for the next 4 days or so. Coastal areas of the south and east wettest. W & NW region driest:

One example I came across when doing an analysis on it was October 1993 (here) when Warrenstown, Co. Meath was the wettest station with over 122.1mm whilst Ballyshannon, Co. Donegal had only 19mm.

Other examples I have just had a quick look at (if you count Wexford):

Month|Rainfall total (mm)|Station|County
    June 1993|167.2|Casement|Dublin
    October 2002|287.2|Rosslare|Wexford
    October 2003|123.5|Casement|Dublin
    July 2005|126.8|Rosslare|Wexford
    July 2008|184.9|Clonroche|Wexford
    February 2009|69.6|Phoenix Park|Dublin
    April 2012|245.7|Glenbride Lodge|Wicklow
    March 2018|169.8|Johnstown|Wexford

Data n that shtuff from ol' reliable Met Éireann.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,715 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

another worrying weekly forecast from Met Eireann with the East and South-East taking the brunt of the rainfall yet again over the coming week with rainfalls of about 160%. We may escape with a dry day on Friday but every other day has heavy rain or showers.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,677 ✭✭✭SleetAndSnow

Rotten evening in cork city, raining since this afternoon

• Advertisement

Syranburen thanks for posting those stats. Two of those horrible stats were in July so makes me feel a bit better about current weather! Yes horrible but at least its winter rather than summer! So much for sunny south east with both of those bad summers in Wexford.

appledrop wrote: »
    Syranburen thanks for posting those stats. Two of those horrible stats were in July so makes me feel a bit better about current weather! Yes horrible but at least its winter rather than summer! So much for sunny south east with both of those bad summers in Wexford.

By the way it's still raining here!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,023 ✭✭✭Donegal Storm

Nice day in Donegal again, calm with high cloud and a few spells of sunshine. Nice mild evening out now. No complaints :)

• Registered Users Posts: 9,922 ✭✭✭spookwoman

Raining still and winds picked up. If it keeps this up will need a dry suit and canoe

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 4,466 Mod ✭✭✭✭mickger844posts

160.5mm for the month at my station in Waterford City

https://www.waterfordweather.com

• Advertisement

At 14mm of rainfall according to cork airport today so far and it’s still falling atm. Heavy drizzle all evening

• Registered Users Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

The rain is back; hard and heavy on the windows. Feeling incredibly smug that I steeled myself to do that outside errand yesterday.... ;) west mayo offshore..

• Registered Users Posts: 6,235 ✭✭✭Oneiric 3

sryanbruen wrote: »
    One example I came across when doing an analysis on it was October 1993 (here) when Warrenstown, Co. Meath was the wettest station with over 122.1mm whilst Ballyshannon, Co. Donegal had only 19mm.

Other examples I have just had a quick look at (if you count Wexford):

Month|Rainfall total (mm)|Station|County
    June 1993|167.2|Casement|Dublin
    October 2002|287.2|Rosslare|Wexford
    October 2003|123.5|Casement|Dublin
    July 2005|126.8|Rosslare|Wexford
    July 2008|184.9|Clonroche|Wexford
    February 2009|69.6|Phoenix Park|Dublin
    April 2012|245.7|Glenbride Lodge|Wicklow
    March 2018|169.8|Johnstown|Wexford

Data n that shtuff from ol' reliable Met Éireann.

Thanks Syran. Interesting stats.

Just looking over some of the data here for Dublin Apt and Dunsany, it is remarkable that there has been only one occurrence in which a 200mm + total has been achieved at the Dublin station since 1941, which was the 217 mm back in December 1978, and has never occurred at all in the Dunsany region (based on more patchy data going back to 1941) though a few close calls, such as the 199.8mm back in November 2009. (data from The Met)

I think this is all the more remarkable considering that this general region is prone to occasional high daily rainfall totals, more especially D.A, given its closer proximity to the Wicklow Alps.

New Moon

• Registered Users Posts: 18,996 ✭✭✭✭gozunda

Any updates on Storm Sebastian this morning?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,885 ✭✭✭JanuarySnowstor

Well a thread was opened for Sebastian and closed again as it's not looking too severe.

I personally think it will pack a punch for the southwest in both wind and rain but it's just a hunch.
    Either way it's localised to Kerry/Cork

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 17,707 Mod ✭✭✭✭DOCARCH

I personally think it will pack a punch for the southwest in both wind and rain but it's just a hunch.

Possibly but I would suggest nothing all that unusual or sensational for the time of year. Should be short lived too.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,524 ✭✭✭SeaBreezes

DOCARCH wrote: »
    Possibly but I would suggest nothing all that unusual or sensational for the time of year. Should be short lived too.

100km gusts for south coast perhaps?
    Also a rain event.

A few models from netweather forum discussing it in relation to GB but can see it just tipping the south coast..

https://www.netweather.tv/forum/topic/92796-model-output-discussion-late-november/page/33/

Hmmmm every time someone says something like this... :eek: You wrote just a bog standard autumn gale I think? Now THAT is....

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 17,707 Mod ✭✭✭✭DOCARCH

Graces7 wrote: »
    Hmmmm every time someone says something like this... :eek: You wrote just a bog standard autumn gale I think? Now THAT is....

Like the ones we used to get in the old days....the non sensational ones....before yellow, orange and red warnings! :)

That is Gale Force 8 or possibly Strong Gale Force 9 in technical terms....in layperson terms....windy.

• Registered Users Posts: 5 Cirrostratus

Just so I understand for future reference, is there's a guide as to what's allowed as a new thread or is it the Moderators call?

• Advertisement

Like the ones we used to get in the old days....the non sensational ones....before yellow, orange and red warnings! :)

That is Gale Force 8 or possibly Strong Gale Force 9 in technical terms....in layperson terms....windy.

Yes and some of us in vulnerable exposed places lived to regret what had been unwarned! Callum lives on forever in my mind. even with the new warnings.

I prefer the new system. Gives fair warning. And if the worst does not happen, great.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,815 ✭✭✭sparrowcar

Just so I understand for future reference, is there's a guide as to what's allowed as a new thread or is it the Moderators call?

Its generally left to people with more than single digit post counts...

Very foggy in Dublin 5/9, haven't seen it this thick since January 2018.

Artane2002 wrote: »
    Very foggy in Dublin 5/9, haven't seen it this thick since January 2018.

It looks like it's causing minor disruption at Dublin Airport.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,524 ✭✭✭SeaBreezes

Is there risk of storm surge and heavy rain flooding?

• Registered Users Posts: 18,996 ✭✭✭✭gozunda

SeaBreezes wrote: »
    Is there risk of storm surge and heavy rain flooding?

I reckon possibility of some trees / electricity poles down in areas effected. Land is supersatuated and where hit by high gusts - it wont take much to take same down.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 11,085 Mod ✭✭✭✭igCorcaigh

Flood warnings issued for Cork city due to high spring tides.

Could Sebastian impact us much, what's the outlook for rain from this system?

igCorcaigh wrote: »
    Flood warnings issued for Cork city due to high spring tides.

Could Sebastian impact us much, what's the outlook for rain from this system?

More places in the alert too, oliver plunkett street and Patrick street included.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,493 ✭✭✭Reckless Abandonment

clouds over dublin. Has the look of a tornado
    Obviously not .. but looked cool

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,749 ✭✭✭✭Thelonious Monk

Belting down in d2 again as im about to cycle home. This is getting ridiculous.

Advertisement