Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Autumn 2019 - General Discussion

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,235 ✭✭✭Oneiric 3

sryanbruen wrote: »
    I’ve seen wetter periods than this autumn like winter 2013-14 and Nov 2015 to Feb 2016. 2014 and 2015 as years were exceptionally wet for a lot of the country although 2002 and 2009 were extremely wet in places also (2009 holding the record highest annual total for a synoptic station I think, at Valentia). 2012 to south and east of the country too. Autumn 2000 and 2006 are the ones to beat especially the former. Despite the wet start, October was slightly below average in my area following wettest September since 2010.
    October felt like wet month I have to say, yet many stations, including my own, came in slightly less wet than average for the month. These are the % totals from the reporting Met Stations for October just gone. (sorry, they are a bit all over the place as I just copy and pasted from Excel table :o )

Station Rainfall%
    Athenry 89.2
    Ballyhaise 80.0
    Belmullet 80.2
    Casement 91.1
    Claremorris 88.3
    Cork Airport 129.7
    Dublin Airport 97.7
    Finner Camp 99.7
    Dunsany 82.8
    Gurteen 101.6
    Johnstown Castle 131.9
    Knock Airport 74.1
    Mace Head 71.8
    Malin Head 68.7
    Markree Castle 68.4
    Moore Park 136.8
    Mt Dillon 76.6
    Mullingar 87.1
    Newport Furnace 91.3
    Oak Park 110.1
    Phoenix Park 92.2
    Roches Point 175.6
    Shannon Airport 97.3
    Sherkin Island 118.7
    Valentia 114.2

New Moon

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,431 ✭✭✭Mortelaro

DOCARCH wrote: »
    Rain has stopped (for now) in Dublin 16. 21.8mm. 8.8c atm.

:eek: :eek:

Just 2.2mm in Arklow
    Raining in micro bursts of say 1 min heavy then drizzle since about 5
    Nothing prior to that

Thunder reported in Wicklow town and as that's sliding south,am expecting a downpour here soon but not a fraction of yours today

• Closed Accounts Posts: 838 ✭✭✭The_Brood

How is what is happening in Dublin not a mental health emergency? How do people survive these past 3 months of nearly nonstop rain and cold every day? And it's barely even November, winter hasn't even begun yet. Does everyone have one of those sun lamps or something?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,219 ✭✭✭Gaoth Laidir

All I know is it was absolutely shíte in Tallaght today. Now I know how people in the west feel. Celbridge seems to have received much less, despite just a few miles difference as the crow flies. Seems to be a coastal convergence enhancement over the city.

• Registered Users Posts: 48,143 ✭✭✭✭km79

Beautiful evening in the west. I assume the rest of the country is the same so I can not understand why people have been complaining so much. That's the way this works right ;)

• Advertisement

Fair bit of brightness in Arklow today actually
    Twas dry until about 4 and the heavens opened around 6ish for a while
    Dry again now so no major complaints here to be honest

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 17,772 Mod ✭✭✭✭DOCARCH

Another couple of bursts of rain in the last hour in Dublin 16. Total now 23.4mm.

Total here just 4mm and I'm damn glad that's all we had :D

• Registered Users Posts: 7,805 ✭✭✭Calibos

km79 wrote: »
    Beautiful evening in the west. I assume the rest of the country is the same so I can not understand why people have been complaining so much. That's the way this works right ;)

That piece of Satire would be appropriate if it was the Dubs with the Beautiful evenings assuming the West was the same and not understanding why those in the West were complaining so much.

This is not what happens though.

Western knickers get in a twist when Dubs correct them when the westerners say, "Typical Irish ****e Summer" with, "Nah, Typical West of Ireland ****e Summer, our Summer in the East was fairly decent thank you very much."

The Dubs readily accept how ****e the weather in the West can be, believe those from the west when they say their weather is ****e. Its those in the west who refuse to believe that the weather in the east is any better than what they are getting. We've had posters from the west with a straight face say that they had to travel to Dublin for meeting or whatever and the weather was just as bad as out West and therefor all us Dublin/Wicklow Weather forum posters were lying about our weather almost like there was some kind of Dublin conspiracy to make them jealous by lying to them. Its all a con you see, that one day trip to Dublin when it pissed rain all day was proof that the Dubs were lying about their weather all Summer!

A more appropriate satire based on that would be for us Dubs to say that our ****e weather today with it bucketing down all day means that any reports from out west today of fine bright dry weather is nothing but LIES, LIES LIES !!! :D:D:D

• Registered Users Posts: 671 ✭✭✭TTLF
    save the trouble and jazz it up

Roughly up to 30mm since midnight at church town radar since midnight, probably more now since that was over 30 mins ago and it’s rained more! The dodder seems fairly high but not bursting banks high atm

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,805 ✭✭✭Calibos

Mortelaro wrote: »
    Total here just 4mm and I'm damn glad that's all we had :D

Costa Del Bray usually shares its weather with Playa Del Arklow but definitely not today. :D

Bucketing down most of the day here since about 11am. Right under rain streamers coming in off the Sea from the NE. I'd say we've had as much if not more than the 22mm someone reported for Dublin.

Wheres my feckin IOM shadow? Does it not work for rain streamers? :D

If those were 2010 Snow streamers we'd have been buried under 2ft of snow by now. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 8,913 ✭✭✭Danno

AWS reports just 2.6mm for here in South Laois. Dodged much of the heaviest rains. Talking to a neighbour who was in Dublin all day today and he says there was some amount of rain there.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,011 ✭✭✭Neddyusa

Oneiric 3 wrote: »
    October felt like wet month I have to say, yet many stations, including my own, came in slightly less wet than average for the month. These are the % totals from the reporting Met Stations for October just gone. (sorry, they are a bit all over the place as I just copy and pasted from Excel table :o )

Station Rainfall%
    Athenry 89.2
    Ballyhaise 80.0
    Belmullet 80.2
    Casement 91.1
    Claremorris 88.3
    Cork Airport 129.7
    Dublin Airport 97.7
    Finner Camp 99.7
    Dunsany 82.8
    Gurteen 101.6
    Johnstown Castle 131.9
    Knock Airport 74.1
    Mace Head 71.8
    Malin Head 68.7
    Markree Castle 68.4
    Moore Park 136.8
    Mt Dillon 76.6
    Mullingar 87.1
    Newport Furnace 91.3
    Oak Park 110.1
    Phoenix Park 92.2
    Roches Point 175.6
    Shannon Airport 97.3
    Sherkin Island 118.7
    Valentia 114.2

Surprised at that too.
    Maybe it was because much of that rain fell during daylight hours so there was less drying and we saw more of the rain than usual?

• Registered Users Posts: 13,530 ✭✭✭✭sryanbruen

Neddyusa wrote: »
    Surprised at that too.
    Maybe it was because much of that rain fell during daylight hours so there was less drying and we saw more of the rain than usual?

Interesting reason, didn’t really think of that. I thought part of it would be that October is naturally the wettest month of the year on average anyway so would require a real deluge or big persistence of rain to be an actual very wet month statistically compared to average. The jet stream has tended to track a little more southwards so most likely the reason why the south was the wettest to average.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

The_Brood wrote: »
    How is what is happening in Dublin not a mental health emergency? How do people survive these past 3 months of nearly nonstop rain and cold every day? And it's barely even November, winter hasn't even begun yet. Does everyone have one of those sun lamps or something?

Please, if the weather is affecting you so badly, seek help from your GP? SAD is a serious condition and it can be helped. It really can.

When I was in Orkney there was one summer when quite literally the sun did not appear once. Depression was epidemic. Drs were treating with anti-ds

I have SAD to a disabling degree but just knowing what it is helps. And I am at home 24/7

As the weather is out here ( I am west coast and we are used to it) I can and do cope. I just hunker down when it is bad.

Please, see your doctor? As you say, we have winter to get through. Meanwhile google Seasonal Affective Disorder?

Stay safe!

km79 wrote: »

:D:D

Stilled now after early turbulence with the ocean to the north white-ruffled . Bright and chill.

West mayo

• Registered Users Posts: 6,174 ✭✭✭highdef

There's been little more than 3mm recorded at any Dublin station since early this morning. On Saturday night almost 20mm fell in a few hours. Nothing comparable as yet in my opinion. Saturday night was on another level. The 48 hour radar return on met eireann illustrates this fairly well. Note the very dark orange intensive returns over the city at 9pm

https://www.met.ie/latest-reports/recent-rainfall-radar/48-hour-rainfall-radar

Haven't seen the rainfall totals for the Dublin area. Did it end up incomparable to last Saturday at the end of event, as you expected?

Graces7 wrote: »
    Stilled now after early turbulence with the ocean to the north white-ruffled . Bright and chill.

West mayo

And the sun is out...lovely afternoon. For now..

• Registered Users Posts: 7,131 ✭✭✭pad199207

Near Sallins Co Kildare today

69418546-EE54-4866-804-E-3-E7-D99-D397-B9.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,740 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

pad199207 wrote: »
    Near Sallins Co Kildare today

69418546-EE54-4866-804-E-3-E7-D99-D397-B9.jpg

not surprised after all the rain over the past 4 days, unfortunately tomorrow and into Thursday looks very wet. MT mentioned in his forecast that parts of Wicklow and Kildare could receive another 40-60mm top up tomorrow.

Appalling flooding. Take care out there.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,235 ✭✭✭Oneiric 3

For the first 4 days of November, Dunsany, normally one of the driest stations in the country at any give time, is coming out on tops with the 4 day total of 55.9mm. Newport in Mayo coming in second at 47.2mm. Average national total for the period standing at 34.1mm, making it the wettest (but not as wet as) opening to November since 2009.

Data: Met Eireann.

New Moon

• Registered Users Posts: 694 ✭✭✭bazlers

Met eireann forecast not looking near as bad as MTs over the next two days for high rain levels.

• Registered Users Posts: 420 ✭✭Little snowy old me

Met Eireann aren't forecasting heavy rain so who is correct? Them or MT?

• Registered Users Posts: 671 ✭✭✭TTLF
    save the trouble and jazz it up

Met Eireann aren't forecasting heavy rain so who is correct? Them or MT?

They did say heavy rain for east coasts (rip S. Dublin and Wicklow)
    So far in churchtown S. Dublin, since Saturday, 58.4mm has fallen.

If we get 40mm of rain, that would make it 98.4mm, or if we get up to 60mm, that will make it 118.4mm in 5ish 6 days.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,678 ✭✭✭SleetAndSnow

And raining in cork city this morning. Nothing worse to wake up to. Shannon radar still gone too so can’t tell where the band is.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,987 ✭✭✭Artane2002

Cloudy and chilly in Dublin 5 with some mammatus clouds.

Dricht and drab.. the sky is dripping in the still air. A day to light the fire and stay snug, make hot chocolate …. . west mayo

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,085 ✭✭✭✭Oscar Bravo

Status Yellow - Rainfall warning for Dublin, Kildare, Louth, Wicklow and Meath

Spells of heavy rain at times. Some spot flooding possible.

Valid: Wednesday 06 November 2019 18:00 to Thursday 07 November 2019 21:00

Issued: Wednesday 06 November 2019 10:00

Advertisement