Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Autumn 2019 - General Discussion

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,880 ✭✭✭✭Rock Lesnar

Gonzo wrote: »
    poured rain here most of the night, back to a waterlogged driveway and very wet garden. I guess the past few dry days wasn't nearly enough to properly dry out the very wet conditions generally over the past 5 to 6 weeks.

Serious rain here this evening, real heavy stuff, been a while since i heard rain that heavy

• Registered Users Posts: 7,142 ✭✭✭pad199207

A wind driven rain in Kildare. Horrible conditions

• Registered Users Posts: 10,513 ✭✭✭✭dsmythy

Met Eireann yellow warning is the usual county line nonsense, how does Kilkenny escape entirely in this set up?

2Ynr1.jpg

No coastlines.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 11,906 Mod ✭✭✭✭Meteorite58

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,766 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

another wet, miserable day. Dunsany finished at 75mm for October, so not as overly wet as August and September.

Only 1 day into November and it's already sitting at 18.6mm. I feel this is going to be a very wet month.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,353 ✭✭✭esposito

another wet, miserable day. Dunsany finished at 75mm for October, so not as overly wet as August and September.

Only 1 day into November and it's already sitting at 18.6mm. I feel this is going to be a very wet month.

Yes looks like it will be a very wet month. Tbh I’d be ok with a very wet month in Nov if it meant we will have a much drier, colder Dec

• Registered Users Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

Wild and wet and there is a small lake between dwelling and gate. Never seen it that deep and wide before.

Just not easing all day..
    Mild though although it looks to be colder tomorrow

west mayo offshore

• Registered Users Posts: 2,262 ✭✭✭koutoubia

Myself and a few mates decided to cycle from Cavan town back to Balbriggan this morning.
    Last night I checked the Met Eireann app last for rainfall forecast. Looked ok as in the rain wouldnt hit anywhere furher north then South Mid Kildare so decided to do it.
    We had to abandon between Navan and Slane as the rain was continually persistent with heavy showers for the whole spin ie from Cavan onwards.
    I know its a science of looking into the future albeit only a few hours ahead and not exact but how could they be so wrong.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,666 ✭✭✭Darwin

I checked the automated rain forecast on met.ie this morning which showed very little rain for my location all day, couldn't have been more wrong, it hasn't stopped raining since early morning and more is forecast overnight. MT in his daily forecast alluded to 3-5 hours rain as the front moved east, but it turned out far more than that.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,023 ✭✭✭Donegal Storm

What a depressing few days, non stop misty drizzly crap that just won't clear away

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 11,906 Mod ✭✭✭✭Meteorite58

I don't think any Yellow warnings should get their own thread here, especially at this time of the year. Yellow is not really a warning of anything serious, just a heads-up that some weather will happen. Up to 60 mm in the mountains of Kerry or gusts of 110 kph is nothing of note. The title should clarify that this will be a southern England/Channel/Northern France event. That'll prevent the "what storm?" comments.

An Orange is when people should be sitting up and taking note. We're going to have Yellows probably at least weekly throughout the winter, so is a thread going to be started for each of them?

My own view is that I think that at times Yellow Warnings do warrant their own thread especially when they might be at the high end of the warning or have the potential of being so or have a combination of weather elements that could give rise to hazardous conditions. I think it is helpful at times to have a dedicated thread for a yellow warning as it helps to keep posts on that topic together and makes it easier to read back over after an event to find information or facts and figures that are of interest.

I myself like to focus on some events especially when at a few days out it can be borderline if rough weather might have an impact or could miss us. They can be a good learning experience for reading and interpreting the models and how they perform, how forecasts stand up and for myself in my own very amateurish way a chance to try my hand at predicting possible outcomes.

My experience is that some yellow warnings fizzle out without much fuss or comment, some can have a bit of an impact and occasionally they can move up to Orange warnings. At times, especially with rainfall, I think it is useful to include the warnings when there has been recent heavy falls especially if flooding could become an issue.

I dont think every yellow warning is or was ever given its own thread here and personally dont think they all warrant a dedicated thread. I would not like to see rules or guidelines being put in place on whether they should or should not be allowed.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,778 ✭✭✭✭ninebeanrows

koutoubia wrote: »
    Myself and a few mates decided to cycle from Cavan town back to Balbriggan this morning.
    Last night I checked the Met Eireann app last for rainfall forecast. Looked ok as in the rain wouldnt hit anywhere furher north then South Mid Kildare so decided to do it.
    We had to abandon between Navan and Slane as the rain was continually persistent with heavy showers for the whole spin ie from Cavan onwards.
    I know its a science of looking into the future albeit only a few hours ahead and not exact but how could they be so wrong.

The issue is the forecast is simply a representation of a single model run, the text forecast takes president and always will. Its foolish to look at the hour to hour or simulated rainfall and expect it to always verify. In certain circumstances it will like with a well structured non convective frontal passage but theres not often a perfect case. Be sure to check the text forecast.

Absolutely bucketing down here in meath, left navan there about 15mins ago and it wasnt raining, get halfway home and im met with water streaming out from fields, roads and ditches near flooded, just looking out now the guage looks like theres plenty of rain in it, will be interesting to see how much rain we'll have accumalated tomorrow

• Registered Users Posts: 13,929 ✭✭✭✭Thelonious Monk

Yikes it just wont let up in Dublin 5, spells where it's so heavy I can't hear the TV with the rain lashing the sun window thingies. I was supposed to be going into town tonight but that ain't happening now.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,835 ✭✭✭appledrop

Went to wild lights in Dublin zoo this evening. The rain wasn't going to stop us! We were well kitted out with wellies for the kids, heavy coats etc.

It was brilliant + rain wasn't too heavy as we were there when gates open + finished in 2 hours. On the drive home rain was torrential! We were so lucky we went early.

Wide spread flooding all over the roads on way home. Treacherous road conditions.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

Silent as the grave here now. And as black as the proverbial pitch. Hoping to finally get out a short walk as there is enough light to see ahead. Blessedly dry

West mayo offshore

• Registered Users Posts: 1,480 ✭✭✭Jpmarn

The Ireland v Canada Olympic qualifier Women’s Hockey match was a scoreless draw last night. They had to play in torrential rain conditions.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,934 ✭✭✭pauldry

Loads of weather today. Fog in many areas. Rain in other areas. Brilliant sunshine in other areas.

Hvnt seen sun yet in Sligo this November but sunny on Ben Bulben so its close.

86mm of rain from thursday until this morning here in meath, and looks like more on the way

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,766 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

86mm of rain from thursday until this morning here in meath, and looks like more on the way

yesterday's rain was unreal. Side roads were badly flooded, side roads still partially flooded today. Still over an inch of water in parts of my driveway. This month is going to well exceed the 100mm, possibly get close to 200mm if the very unsettled next few weeks works out.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 48,163 ✭✭✭✭km79

Athenry has now passed the mean annual rainfall with the wettest two months usually to come !
    Also passed the total for the wettest year of the past 4 (2017)!

No weather station really bear where I am now . Claremorris is the nearest but it’s 24 Km away
    NUIG one is around 30km
    So neither really representative of my locality

yesterday's rain was unreal. Side roads were badly flooded, side roads still partially flooded today. Still over an inch of water in parts of my driveway. This month is going to well exceed the 100mm, possibly get close to 200mm if the very unsettled next few weeks works out.

Yeah it was mad alright, the garden is saturated and the water that came off it covered the ground at the back of the house last night for a time, couldn't go out on it, i went for a 10k walk around here this morning when it was sunny, plenty of water lying in the fields, ditches along the roads are full in places, the ponds down the road from us are nearly at road level, like you say, 200mm looks very possible before the month is out

• Registered Users Posts: 11,505 ✭✭✭✭Xenji

Over 1500mm now in Castlebar for the year after the last couple of days of rain, not far off last years yearly total already.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,140 ✭✭✭✭JCX BXC

It genuinely rained all day bar about 3 periods lasting half an hour. Horrid.

Lashing rain again in meath, might break 200mm this week never mind before the end of the month

Yellow Warning for Heavy Rain for Greater Dublin for today.

Warning for louth meath dublin kildare and wicklow, wasnt up before i posted above, mustve, looked out the window, seen the rain was a bit heavy and taught, after the other night when there was no warning, better give this a warning

• Registered Users Posts: 13,929 ✭✭✭✭Thelonious Monk

I cant remember a rainier view months. Ive had to leave the bike at home and take public transport more times than i usually would in a year.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,678 ✭✭✭SleetAndSnow

Strange seeing the east coast with the rainfall warning!

Nice morning in cork city for once. Some cloud and sky breaking through but it's chilly with a cold breeze. Everything is drenched from some overnight rain and what seems like nonstop rain the last month.

• Advertisement

Went from calm and foggy to lashing rain in Kildare

Advertisement