Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Autumn 2019 - General Discussion

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,088 ✭✭✭stevek93

Much rain happening here now, Dublin Airport.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,096 ✭✭✭✭Oscar Bravo

Clearing up here in Castlebar. Brighter skies moving in from the NW

• Registered Users Posts: 471 ✭✭KingdomRushed

I see there is a yellow warning in place for Dublin and surrounding counties today. I do not see the same potential for rain totals as received on Saturday night, which was not anticipated by met.ie as far as I could see.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,185 ✭✭✭highdef

I see there is a yellow warning in place for Dublin and surrounding counties today. I do not see the same potential for rain totals as received on Saturday night, which was not anticipated by met.ie as far as I could see.

Parts of Dublin (including the city itself), central/south Meath and central to north Kildare are being hit by round upon round of heavy rain since earlier this morning and both radar and satellite imagery would suggest that it will continue well into the afternoon.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,479 ✭✭✭Kamili

Its heavy enough in south Dublin but nowhere near as bad as it was on Saturday night. Can't get my head around it.

was it Ninja Rain?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 471 ✭✭KingdomRushed

highdef wrote: »
    Parts of Dublin (including the city itself), central/south Meath and central to north Kildare are being hit by round upon round of heavy rain since earlier this morning and both radar and satellite imagery would suggest that it will continue well into the afternoon.

There's been little more than 3mm recorded at any Dublin station since early this morning. On Saturday night almost 20mm fell in a few hours. Nothing comparable as yet in my opinion. Saturday night was on another level. The 48 hour radar return on met eireann illustrates this fairly well. Note the very dark orange intensive returns over the city at 9pm

https://www.met.ie/latest-reports/recent-rainfall-radar/48-hour-rainfall-radar

• Registered Users Posts: 7,138 ✭✭✭pad199207

Bucketing down in Kildare again now

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,749 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

another horrible miserable day. Waterlogging in starting to become a real problem here, we've had over a months worth of rain since Saturday morning. It's worrying that there doesn't appear to be any let up in heavy weekly rainfall totals over the next few weeks either. At this stage we really need a much dryer than normal December to start drying out the land, because there has been very few dry periods since September 20th.

• Registered Users Posts: 420 ✭✭Little snowy old me

Very heavy burst of rain here for the last 15 minutes in Lucan. About 5 minutes ago, during the heaviest of it, a very strong wind blew for about 30 seconds. Leaves and rain swirled around and I estimate it was the strength of a gale, judging by the movement of the trees. Downdraft of some type? Then went calm. Heavy rain has now eased.

As bad as Sat Night now in Kildare. Near torrential

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,749 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

There will be no letup in the rain over the next week at least, there could easily be another 100mm over the next week.

Wednesday looks a complete washout with another 20-40mm in places.

63-574UK.GIF?04-6

Thursday could be another washout, especially in eastern areas.
    78-574UK.GIF?04-6

Another deluge this Saturday with possibly 2 rainbands crossing the country, one early in the morning and another later in the evening.

132-574UK.GIF?04-6

Sunday into Monday see's another deluge:
    156-574UK.GIF?04-6

168-574UK.GIF?04-6

I think flooding could become a real concern over the next week, if we get all this rain.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,479 ✭✭✭Kamili

There go the potatoes...

Its almost as bad as Saturday here now. Still scratching my head as to why there wasn't a peep of a warning then.

I cant remember a rainier view months. Ive had to leave the bike at home and take public transport more times than i usually would in a year.

it's possibly the wettest few months since 2012. Close to a third of a year's worth of rain has fallen here over past 6 to 7 weeks. This is certainly one of the wettest Autumn's of my lifetime.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,913 ✭✭✭Danno

Gonzo wrote: »
    it's possibly the wettest few months since 2012. Close to a third of a year's worth of rain has fallen here over past 6 to 7 weeks. This is certainly one of the wettest Autumn's of my lifetime.

October was below average in south Laois. 89.7mm which is 90% of average (99mm) Most of the rain has been light (wettest days October 5th and 25th with 14.2mm and 10.3mm respectively). It rained on 19 days and 15 of these were above 1mm.

I suppose the frequency of rain - and alot of it fell during daylight hours has added to the feeling that it is incredibly wet.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,431 ✭✭✭Mortelaro

• Registered Users Posts: 11,880 ✭✭✭✭Rock Lesnar

Hammering down in Navan at the minute, hate to think what its like at home if its as heavy as this as field water is overflowing out onto the roads and that wont go anywhere as the ditches are full

Danno wrote: »
    October was below average in south Laois. 89.7mm which is 90% of average (99mm) Most of the rain has been light (wettest days October 5th and 25th with 14.2mm and 10.3mm respectively). It rained on 19 days and 15 of these were above 1mm.

I suppose the frequency of rain - and alot of it fell during daylight hours has added to the feeling that it is incredibly wet.

At my location we have had about 250mm of rain since September 20th. Right now the rain is really hammering down and it's very dark.

Dunsany has had close to 800mm of rain already this year with alot more to come. We've almost caught up with the total rainfall for 2016, we should beat that later this week. We may pass the 2017 total over the next 2 weeks.

If this unsettled spells stays as potent all through November and December we could be on track for one of the wettest year's in quite some time.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,185 ✭✭✭highdef

There's been little more than 3mm recorded at any Dublin station since early this morning. On Saturday night almost 20mm fell in a few hours. Nothing comparable as yet in my opinion. Saturday night was on another level. The 48 hour radar return on met eireann illustrates this fairly well. Note the very dark orange intensive returns over the city at 9pm

https://www.met.ie/latest-reports/recent-rainfall-radar/48-hour-rainfall-radar

The current radar imagery looks quite similar to last Saturday evenings. Have a look at that area of orange/almost red that will be hitting Dublin City in the next 15/20 minutes. Looks heavy enough that it will begin to cause some issues around the city. https://www.met.ie/

20mm may well be exceeded at the likes of Phoenix Park and Casement today.

Just home and its dry breezy and cold, with nice blue sky to our north

Edit: The Sun is out

• Registered Users Posts: 13,530 ✭✭✭✭sryanbruen

I’ve seen wetter periods than this autumn like winter 2013-14 and Nov 2015 to Feb 2016. 2014 and 2015 as years were exceptionally wet for a lot of the country although 2002 and 2009 were extremely wet in places also (2009 holding the record highest annual total for a synoptic station I think, at Valentia). 2012 to south and east of the country too. Autumn 2000 and 2006 are the ones to beat especially the former. Despite the wet start, October was slightly below average in my area following wettest September since 2010.

I find it odd that given the reports on here, statistically Cork Airport was one of if not the sunniest station out of the UK and Ireland during October 2019 (last looked at station stats on the 29th). Not as sunny as October 2018 but still quite sunny with more than 120 hrs of sunshine. Ireland did very well in general for sunshine this October (by our standards of course) with us being sunnier than most of the UK.

• Advertisement

Just home and its dry breezy and cold, with nice blue sky to our north

Edit: The Sun is out

still pouring rain here at Dunshaughlin. Just back from there and our road is flooded badly in 3 places. Meath County Council just arrived and have started digging to try and clear the flood waters which is over 4 inches deep.

Had eased a bit but coming down heavy again in Kildare. Stream has burst its banks beside the house and garden is flooded.

Gonzo wrote: »
    still pouring rain here at Dunshaughlin. Just back from there and our road is flooded badly in 3 places. Meath County Council just arrived and have started digging to try and clear the flood waters which is over 4 inches deep.

24mm since i posted last night, most if not all of that fell this morning, thats now 110mm since thursday

• Registered Users Posts: 671 ✭✭✭TTLF
    save the trouble and jazz it up

Anybody know how bad the rivers are in Dublin? South side

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,431 ✭✭✭Mortelaro

pad199207 wrote: »
    Had eased a bit but coming down heavy again in Kildare. Stream has burst its banks beside the house and garden is flooded.

Hardly any rain down here in Arklow or wexford

• Registered Users Posts: 601 ✭✭✭Captain Snow

TTLF wrote: »
    Anybody know how bad the rivers are in Dublin? South side

River Dodder the past week. This sensor is at Waldrons Bridge. Below Mount Carmel Hospital, beside the small kiosk shop.

wPBnZdB.png

You can keep an eye on all the rivers in Ireland here. http://waterlevel.ie/

• Registered Users Posts: 671 ✭✭✭TTLF
    save the trouble and jazz it up

The sky is so dark outside because of the clouds I’m legally considering it night time

Dublin 6

still raining here, but can see a clearance to my north. We should have a fairly dry day tomorrow apart from the odd light shower. It won't do much as Wednesday will be a repeat of today.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 17,782 Mod ✭✭✭✭DOCARCH

21.2mm so far today in Dublin 16.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,235 ✭✭✭Oneiric 3

Pleasant, sunny day in Galway today though even with the fair breeze, drying proved to be very poor. Still, a curious summer-like tinge to the twilight at the moment. Looks more like a typical June evening than a November one.

New Moon

Advertisement