Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Machinery Photo/Discussion Thread II

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,111 ✭✭✭✭wrangler

Excavator mounted Brush hog or brush cutter. Popular in America especially mounted on skidsteers. Don't know who'd be manufacturing and selling them for the Irish market though.

There's one in Antrim.

https://www.blaneyagri.com/machinery/excavator-flail-shredder-mulcher/

• Registered Users Posts: 4,098 ✭✭✭davidk1394

New Bus here

Well wear. I saw it up on Eardlys story alright. For a small yard they sell some machinery.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,926 ✭✭✭selectamatic

wrangler wrote: »

They'd be the more regular flail type yoke. Quite a few of them on the go.

I think K.G is on about this type of a setup
    GT-135-5-0.jpg

4200-X-on-CAT-blade-carrier-with-excavator-view-website.jpg
    Basically a heavy duty topper with a hydraulically driven gearbox.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 3,123 Mod ✭✭✭✭K.G.

Who uses perkins engines now,dosnt seem to be used by either jcb or mf much now.wondering are they in trouble.traditionaly were great engines but dont see them much now

• Registered Users Posts: 8,334 ✭✭✭FintanMcluskey

K.G. wrote: »
    Who uses perkins engines now,dosnt seem to be used by either jcb or mf much now.wondering are they in trouble.traditionaly were great engines but dont see them much now

Most engine manufacturers have consolidated due to stringent emission protocols.

I don’t think the likes of a Perkins 236 will ever be seen again unfortunately

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,968 ✭✭✭SuperTortoise

Anyone have any advice on buying new agitators, any brands i should avoid?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,184 ✭✭✭ruwithme

I don't know about avoid,but i wouldn't pass a nc myself.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,611 ✭✭✭Mooooo

Redrock pump agitator here, tis grand. Is it for slatted tanks or open tanks? If for open ones I think there is a crowd in the UK that do a kinda whisk/ pump combination job, apparently the job for lagoons

• Registered Users Posts: 2,968 ✭✭✭SuperTortoise

Mooooo wrote: »
    Redrock pump agitator here, tis grand. Is it for slatted tanks or open tanks? If for open ones I think there is a crowd in the UK that do a kinda whisk/ pump combination job, apparently the job for lagoons

This would be for a slatted tank only, 4 bay.
    I'm wary of buying a 2nd hand one as most of those are probably half goosed.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,753 ✭✭✭9935452

Anyone have any advice on buying new agitators, any brands i should avoid?

What power do you have ?
    Cross have a good reputation . They claim to be unblockable but do block. Frames are known to crack on them, from being rough with them .
    Local place here made an alignment jig for the gearbox . If the frames arent welded back straight , it will blow shear bolts for fun. We know from experience
    Had one in the yard and was replaced by an abbey tornado. There a good few years , good agitator , prefer it over the cross.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 198 ✭✭porter shark

I had an NC3500 for years. Good agitator very easy driven. Have more power available to me now so bought a cross. Great yolk to mix but needs power to drive it. If it’s only for your own use plenty of 2nd hand NCs floating around plenty good enough

• Registered Users Posts: 198 ✭✭porter shark

Anyone have experience with power harrows. Have a rabe bout 20 years old, never left a spanner on it. Looking to go onepass route. Nice Amazon’s on DoneDeal but I notice there’s no spring on them, the rabe has springs so that the Harrow is floating being carried on the roller. I presumed all harrows were the same until I started looking but a lot of them are sitting solid on the ground.

Tenants are spreading slurry here today, drawing to the pump, one of the tenants has a contracting business, if he ever got all his tractors together there's supposed to be over 30,he has three 3500 gal tankers in Dublin airport for the summer, they're some addition at this job, the other tenant works for him so has first call on all the machinery

• Registered Users Posts: 24,400 ✭✭✭✭Reggie.

Tenants are spreading slurry here today, drawing to the pump, one of the tenants has a contracting business, if he ever got all his tractors together there's supposed to be over 30,he has three 3500 gal tankers in Dublin airport for the summer, they're some addition at this job, the other tenant works for him so has first call on all the machinery
    Isn't he great :D

• Registered Users Posts: 24,400 ✭✭✭✭Reggie.

Anyone have experience with power harrows. Have a rabe bout 20 years old, never left a spanner on it. Looking to go onepass route. Nice Amazon’s on DoneDeal but I notice there’s no spring on them, the rabe has springs so that the Harrow is floating being carried on the roller. I presumed all harrows were the same until I started looking but a lot of them are sitting solid on the ground.

I run an amazone. What ya need to know?

What ya mean ya have springs?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,456 ✭✭✭stanflt

Reggie. wrote: »
    Isn't he great :D

Bitter

• Registered Users Posts: 11,207 ✭✭✭✭Base price

Irrespective of how many tractors and tankers he owns he doesn't seem to care for the environment with a yellow rainfall warning of 30mm to 50mm of rain in your area tomorrow.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,168 ✭✭✭funkey_monkey

What's the tankers doing at the airport? Flood stand-by?

What's the tankers doing at the airport? Flood stand-by?

keeping down dust in the summer

Base price wrote: »
    Irrespective of how many tractors and tankers he owns he doesn't seem to care for the environment with a yellow rainfall warning of 30mm to 50mm of rain in your area tomorrow.

A level field of heavy land and the boundaries higher than the centre....... where would the slurry go.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,145 ✭✭✭Dinzee Conlee

Looking to buy a zetor (1990s model) with the big cab - purely cos of the big cab really.

One has come up, and I want to take a look. But with the lockdown, I dont want to be putting any lad under pressure to come with me. So, I'll chance looking at it myself...

I know brakes are a weak point in them - how can you check what state the brakes are in when buying?

Anything else I should watch out for?

Looking to buy a zetor (1990s model) with the big cab - purely cos of the big cab really.

One has come up, and I want to take a look. But with the lockdown, I dont want to be putting any lad under pressure to come with me. So, I'll chance looking at it myself...

I know brakes are a weak point in them - how can you check what state the brakes are in when buying?

I had a crystal here, never gave much trouble, what size are you buying

• Registered Users Posts: 2,145 ✭✭✭Dinzee Conlee

I had a crystal here, never gave much trouble, what size are you buying

1990s 65/70HP range... 6211 if possible, don't need anything too big.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,414 ✭✭✭hopeso

I'd say just assume the brakes need doing, and budget for that. If it's dry drum brakes, they won't cost a fortune....

1990s 65/70HP range... 6211 if possible, don't need anything too big.

Zetors of that era are a straight forward tractor, not expensive to repair, pity you can't bring someone with you if you're not mechanically minded

• Registered Users Posts: 11,310 ✭✭✭✭Say my name

Zetors of that era are a straight forward tractor, not expensive to repair, pity you can't bring someone with you if you're not mechanically minded

He could get the other person who might know tractors to travel in a separate vehicle and obviously pay for their expenses for the day. And keep a distance from them when they're examining the tractor.

He could get the other person who might know tractors to travel in a separate vehicle and obviously pay for their expenses for the day. And keep a distance from them when they're examining the tractor.

We're meeting checkpoints every day now, don't know if buying a tractor is a valid excuse.
    I had a dog with the vets for three days last week and for a checkup this morning, Brought in on wednesday, home on Saturday and today and was stopped everytime, in and out

• Registered Users Posts: 8,168 ✭✭✭funkey_monkey

Check the clutches. The PTO requires a good back as the level is on floorboard between your legs and its clutch is on your left hand side as a rearwards facing handbrake style mechanism. Try it and see if you can work it. Between those two levers is another metal lever which rotates to switch between 540 and 1000. Check they are all working.

Electrics are pretty simple and straightforward. If there is a compressor check that the tank can hold the pressure.
    But yes, brakes are the main point to check. Assuming they need worked on would be a fair starting point.
    Other than that just check the usual stuff like seals and leaks. Take a look at the filters - sometimes there is a date written on them, so you can check the service history.
    Although if you take a quick look around their yard (assuming private seller) then you'll you what sort of a crowd you are dealing with and set your expectations for mechanical sympathy based on that.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,310 ✭✭✭✭Say my name

We're meeting checkpoints every day now, don't know if buying a tractor is a valid excuse.
    I had a dog with the vets for three days last week and for a checkup this morning, Brought in on wednesday, home on Saturday and today and was stopped everytime, in and out

Probably depends on who you meet too.

I haven't been on the roads much at all so can't comment much on the guards.

Probably best to wear overalls and wellies then in the vehicle.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,207 ✭✭✭✭Base price

Brought OH to Tullamore last week for a checkup and we were stopped twice on the way to and back. I headed home to NCD on Thursday evening and returned to Longford Friday midday and I didn't see a squad car let alone a checkpoint.

Advertisement