Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Machinery Photo/Discussion Thread II

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,611 ✭✭✭Mooooo

kevthegaff wrote: »
    Why is there such a difference with the commercial landcruisers and the seated ones in price?

Vrt on passenger models would push them 20/30k dearer when new. New commercial lwb is around the 45k I think?

• Registered Users Posts: 655 ✭✭✭josephsoap

A friend showed me a 05 swb he bought over the weekend. It's very clean and 150,000 miles @ €7500, he's the last 6 months watching donedeal and missed out on several that were sold within a few hour's.

I wonder why are they in such demand at the moment?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,130 ✭✭✭Grueller

josephsoap wrote: »

Diesel is cheap and lads are doing less mileage during lockdown so less running costs.
    In 2011 diesel broke €1.50 per litre and keeps were given away. I saw clean 5 year old hilux at that time sold for €8,750 out of a Toyota dealer.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,611 ✭✭✭Mooooo

Grueller wrote: »
    Diesel is cheap and lads are doing less mileage during lockdown so less running costs.
    In 2011 diesel broke €1.50 per litre and keeps were given away. I saw clean 5 year old hilux at that time sold for €8,750 out of a Toyota dealer.

09 to 12 were lean years economy wise so demand wasn't there for them either

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 1,876 Mod ✭✭✭✭Albert Johnson

There's lots of lads sitting at home watching donedeal that would usually be away working so anything resembling a bargain doesn't last long. Also the lack of holidays, night's out, weddings ect means there's a shortage of ways to spend your disposable income so a jeep might start to look attractive when you have money burning a hole in your pocket.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,633 Mod ✭✭✭✭blue5000

There's lots of lads sitting at home watching donedeal that would usually be away working so anything resembling a bargain doesn't last long. Also the lack of holidays, night's out, weddings ect means there's a shortage of ways to spend your disposable income so a jeep might start to look attractive when you have money burning a hole in your pocket.

Good few fixer upper vintage tractors on the move too.

If the seat's wet, sit on yer hat, a cool head is better than a wet ar5e.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,815 ✭✭✭endainoz

blue5000 wrote: »

Indeed there is. I saw this on Facebook the other day and ended up purchasing. Compared to other vintage makes, there was very good value in it I think. He's throwing in new mudguards with it aswell and fixing a couple of engine issues before it leaves his yard. Quite happy with it, will be a nice project.

539425.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 8,291 ✭✭✭FintanMcluskey

endainoz wrote: »
    Indeed there is. I saw this on Facebook the other day and ended up purchasing. Compared to other vintage makes, there was very good value in it I think. He's throwing in new mudguards with it aswell and fixing a couple of engine issues before it leaves his yard. Quite happy with it, will be a nice project.

Hard to believe you could purchase 2 of those beasts for the price of a clean 35x.

That’s an original one you got!

Hard to believe you could purchase 2 of those beasts for the price of a clean 35x.

That’s an original one you got!

Yeah the masseys in particular are mad priced for what they are. Very happy with it alright, rare to see a bonnet that clean on a crystal. Was imported from the UK in the early 90s so that would probably explain it.

I'll hopefully use it for spreading dung and chain harrowing and a few other bits. It'll hold its value at the very least anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,384 ✭✭✭✭Reggie.

Thinking of getting a landleveller for the reseeding. Would ya be better off with an 8ft or 10ft. I'd be mindful of travelling the roads.

Thinking of the dowd one made in cavan

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,120 ✭✭✭funkey_monkey

Did you get a look at his finished 12011 when you were there?

Did you get a look at his finished 12011 when you were there?

Haven't seen the 12011 in person but going from the posts on facebook it looks a serious job. Compared to what it was like when he got it.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 1,876 Mod ✭✭✭✭Albert Johnson

blue5000 wrote: »

Anything that could be classed as a luxury or hobby is a flying trade atm. Vintage tractors, caravans, campers, horses, dogs ect are all significantly dearer than this time last year.

• Registered Users Posts: 223 ✭✭mythos110

Reggie. wrote: »
    Thinking of getting a landleveller for the reseeding. Would ya be better off with an 8ft or 10ft. I'd be mindful of travelling the roads.

I got a good heavy 9ft one made up for that reason. Very easy to clip a land leveller off a car as lads don't see it.
    If torn between the 2 I'd recommend the 8ft. Nearly as heavy as the 10ft and the main frame will be the same which will give a better finish in the field. 10ft could tend to skip over stuff too much - plus the hazard on the road

• Registered Users Posts: 8,120 ✭✭✭funkey_monkey

Haven't seen the 12011 in person but going from the posts on facebook it looks a serious job. Compared to what it was like when he got it.

Looks like he took the sidelights and the towing jaw off it for his 12011.

They are a mighty machine the 8011 - does your have the original seat or a replacement? Is it going straight to work or are you for doing any work to it?

Looks like he took the sidelights and the towing jaw off it for his 12011.

They are a mighty machine the 8011 - does your have the original seat or a replacement? Is it going straight to work or are you for doing any work to it?

Replacement seat, it'll be in the shed for a while anyway, might do a bit of work on the floor of it. Probably won't be used for proper work until later in the spring.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,396 ✭✭✭roosterman71

I'd go 8ft. Plenty big enough for most jobs and handier in/out of gates too. We got one built last year (think I put up pics). Cost us 950 incl. VAT (probably wanted more for it but the father never ever pays asking price)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,440 ✭✭✭cjpm

You'd easily weld up one yourself Reggie. My neighbour built an 8 foot one years ago. Only lasted a few years as he put 2 folding sections on each side of it after. Its some job now, covers serious ground with a pass. At least 13 if not 14 feet in one go. Pulls it with 100HP no bother.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,183 ✭✭✭ruwithme

Look up Carroll engineering in cavan. Worked a landleveler made by them for many years. Two folding sides on it,probably 12 or 13 foot width.

I thought it a great leveller to work ground with. The extra width is great when your busy at it everyday in a spell of weather.

Take your time buying one anyway as they are not all the same when closely looked at.

• Registered Users Posts: 655 ✭✭✭josephsoap

Any one know if the barrel wrap will work in older balers?

http://www.silawrap.ie/net_replacement_film.html

Sick of these bloody nets ...If they work on older balers (I think contractors baler is welger RP 235 or something like that) I’ll definitely consider buying a roll(s) of the above.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,905 ✭✭✭kevthegaff

539425.jpg

Know a polish lad that brought a few back to.poland with him to do them up and sow corn over there. Wouldnt think theres many left around here

• Registered Users Posts: 5,057 ✭✭✭bogman_bass

kevthegaff wrote: »
    Know a polish lad that brought a few back to.poland with him to do them up and sow corn over there. Wouldnt think theres many left around here

2 working every day within 1/3 of my yard and another parked up

• Registered Users Posts: 2,146 ✭✭✭DBK1

Sick of these bloody nets ...If they work on older balers (I think contractors baler is welger RP 235 or something like that) I’ll definitely consider buying a roll(s) of the above.
    I’m afraid buying the roll of plastic is both the easy part and the cheap part! There’s no retrofit kits available for any balers so you’d have to persuade your contractor to buy a new baler and get it as an option. Depending on manufacturer it adds between €6,000 and €8,000 plus vat to the baler price. And the last bit of persuading you’ll have to do is to turn him away from Welger because Welger (Agco now) are one of the only manufacturers that don’t have it on their new balers.

• Registered Users Posts: 283 ✭✭westlander

ruwithme wrote: »
    Look up Carroll engineering in cavan. Worked a landleveler made by them for many years. Two folding sides on it,probably 12 or 13 foot width.

I thought it a great leveller to work ground with. The extra width is great when your busy at it everyday in a spell of weather.

Take your time buying one anyway as they are not all the same when closely looked at.

Taaffe land levellers another option

• Registered Users Posts: 2,752 ✭✭✭9935452

Go for 9ft or folding .
    8ft is too narrow for the tractor.
    It wont be able to grade properly next to wires poles, edges of fields. Always wider than the tractor, keep the tyres away from trouble.
    9ft is lovely on the road.
    10ft is too wide for the rosd and gaps.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,175 ✭✭✭✭Donald Trump

DBK1 wrote: »
    I’m afraid buying the roll of plastic is both the easy part and the cheap part! There’s no retrofit kits available for any balers so you’d have to persuade your contractor to buy a new baler and get it as an option. Depending on manufacturer it adds between €6,000 and €8,000 plus vat to the baler price. And the last bit of persuading you’ll have to do is to turn him away from Welger because Welger (Agco now) are one of the only manufacturers that don’t have it on their new balers.

Would 4 layers of outside film after that leave the bale more or less as protected as 6 layers with net?

It would really only be the edge of the circle that would have the 4 layers total then.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,175 ✭✭✭✭Donald Trump

I remember when the net came in first it was the best thing since sliced bread compared to cutting twine off before that!

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 3,079 Mod ✭✭✭✭K.G.

Saw a yoke working yesterday, it was like a smaller single flail topper on a digger cutting hedges.looked a grand simple job.anybody know anything about them

• Registered Users Posts: 1,038 ✭✭✭minerleague

K.G. wrote: »
    Saw a yoke working yesterday, it was like a smaller single flail topper on a digger cutting hedges.looked a grand simple job.anybody know anything about them

I think spearhead had a hedgecutter that looked like a topper, the guy that started spearhead set up a new company when they were bought out, Murzi ( spelling ?? ) and they make something similiar ( saw video youtube )

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,917 ✭✭✭selectamatic

K.G. wrote: »

Excavator mounted Brush hog or brush cutter. Popular in America especially mounted on skidsteers. Don't know who'd be manufacturing and selling them for the Irish market though.

Advertisement