Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Machinery Photo/Discussion Thread II

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,440 ✭✭✭cjpm

josephsoap wrote: »
    It must have been unreal the amount of new landcruisers sold between the years 2003 - 2008 some amount of them still on the road today.

It came to a point in 2008 that there was a huge waiting list for them. I know a guy who needed to change the jeep in a hurry and couldn't wait. Toyota couldn't supply one so he bought a Mercedes 4x4 instead

• Registered Users Posts: 5,130 ✭✭✭Grueller

No other jeep survives in the way the landcruiser does

The late 90s early noughties ones yes but there are a fair amount of D4D ones that ended up prematurely scrapped.
    Certain brands are able to trade for years on past glories and anything new is considered scrap. I bought a fresh skoda superb in the early noughties and all the neighbours laughed at it. Told me I should have bought an avensis. I drove it to 220,000kms and sold it to a Dublin taxi driver that lives in the road here. He drove it to 530,000kms before its age put it off the road as a taxi. His son still has it as his main car with north of 800,000 kms on it.
    I know several Dmax crewcab about here with north of 15 years and 400,000kms on them and nobody seems to rate them. All you hear is that they would have been better with a hilux.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,233 ✭✭✭✭whelan2

Big trouble with rusting chassis in later nineties early 00's landcruiser. My dad has a 00, got the chassis welded in 2019, due for test next week will see how it goes. Have an 04 passenger here about 8 years, great yolk

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 3,079 Mod ✭✭✭✭K.G.

It's nice cos I've no hills. :p And not much road work.

Ah no she's well shod and has brackets for a dribble bar which will be the next addition.

I'm coming from a 1300 tank so it'll speed up the job.

Unusual to see a major with the axle that far back

• Registered Users Posts: 1,776 ✭✭✭paddysdream

I was thinking of trading in a 3 year old land cruiser around that time. The main dealer wouldn’t take a trade in at the time. To many in their yard already

Bought a 2006 LWB Landcruiser in September 2009 from local Toyota dealer.One owner and approx 60k on it.Was like new to be fair.
    Paid 16k inc. vat.
    That was about the price of them at the time as had looked at a few and anything similar was about that money.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,216 ✭✭✭✭Say my name

K.G. wrote: »
    Unusual to see a major with the axle that far back

Would it be because it had the brackets for the dribble/trailing shoe on it in factory? And designed for it?
    Different lines?

I did notice that when looking at pictures of tankers for sale.

Great wheels under it. 30.5, R32.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,403 ✭✭✭have2flushtwice

If memory serves me the last of the shockingly bad injector pump issues was around the 2012 mark in the 3.2 pajero's, they went from 2001 right up to 2012 or thereabouts(might be 2001-2007 can't remember), they all break and you're talking north of €3000 to fix. Fuel lines corrode, lets in air and that breaks the pump.

Second hand jeeps are gone completely cracked, can't and won't touch them at the mad money being asked, looked at a 05 landcruiser, well minded in fairness and 270K on the clock, was asked 8.5K, 07 pajero very middling nick, 170K on the clock, was asked 11K, absolutely mental money.
    I've a 91 pajero swb automatic, it's looking better value for me now to get it back in the road. and she's rough....

Would it be because it had the brackets for the dribble/trailing shoe on it in factory? And designed for it?
    Different lines?

I did notice that when looking at pictures of tankers for sale.

Great wheels under it. 30.5, R32.

I was looking at tanks with last couple of months and hard to find tanks suitable for conversion at money tha t would tempt you away from the grant on the tank.a tank would have to be.less than 12 k at 40%grant.and.less than 8.k if you qualify for 60 % grant.when you think a new tyre for a secondhand tank is around 1600 it starts to get very hard to go second hand.are 32r s that much a head of say 28r s. To travel ground

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 1,876 Mod ✭✭✭✭Albert Johnson

Bought a 2006 LWB Landcruiser in September 2009 from local Toyota dealer.One owner and approx 60k on it.Was like new to be fair.
    Paid 16k inc. vat.
    That was about the price of them at the time as had looked at a few and anything similar was about that money.

That same jeep today is worth €6000-€9000 today with probably closer to 300,000k or more. The equivalent 3 year old landcruiser is making circa €35,000.

I was looking at tanks with last couple of months and hard to find tanks suitable for conversion at money tha t would tempt you away from the grant on the tank.a tank would have to be.less than 12 k at 40%grant.and.less than 8.k if you qualify for 60 % grant.when you think a new tyre for a secondhand tank is around 1600 it starts to get very hard to go second hand.are 32r s that much a head of say 28r s. To travel ground

Ah sure it must be. The bigger the tyre the less rolling resistance, the more tyre in contact with the ground, the less impact on the soil. I couldn't give you %'s better but it'd have to be.

I was worried about the dribble bar sticking up in the high heavens and catching a shoot and telephone wires.
    Have a deal done on a major dribble bar with vogelsang macerator this morning. 7.5m but folds up very tidy behind.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,291 ✭✭✭FintanMcluskey

That same jeep today is worth €6000-€9000 today with probably closer to 300,000k or more. The equivalent 3 year old landcruiser is making circa €35,000.

Nothing holds value like a Toyota 4x4. And for good reason.

Like the John Deere in the tractor world

As a friend says,the most impressive thing about Toyota jeeps is their reputation.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,776 ✭✭✭paddysdream

As a friend says,the most impressive thing about Toyota jeeps is their reputation.

Mine has about 450k on it so unsure what its worth.
    Nice to drive and great to pull a trailer but no better than anything else imo.
    Replaced engine last year ( injector/ clogged sump pick up) and turbo.On its 3rd clutch and probably 300 plus per year on suspension parts since i bought it.That could be due to a lot of trailer work across fields
    Has had airbag clockspring done,steering column ,injectors twice.
    Reckon its no better than any other make re upkeep. Still seem to hold their value better compared to anything else.Chassis on mine perfect.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,735 ✭✭✭lakill Farm

Have one of the last Toyota avenisis and Auris commercials here but the jeep is Mitsubishi all along . You hear about they are hard on diesel etc but no harder than anything else, valve to buy and parts aren't to bad . ticks all the boxes for me (I do very little motorway mileage so no 6th gear isn't an issue for me)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,202 ✭✭✭Bitten & Hisses

Were they 2.5l? The 2.5l had a different pump any never gave trouble.
    I could name 6 or 7 lads with 3.2l pajero's within 5 miles of me all had pump failures, that aside they are bulletproof nothing else goes wrong in them, i'd have them ahead of landcruisers.

I had a 3.2 Pajero for 8 years and there was never an issue with the fuel pump. However, the clutch, flywheel and transmission were made of cheese and the automatic transmission is apparently the one to go for.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,202 ✭✭✭Bitten & Hisses

Paid 16k inc. vat.

Back in 2006 at peak Celtic Tiger, 3 year old Land Cruisers were close to €30K and weren't particularly plentiful or tidy at that money. In 2009, Toyota were also discounting new ones heavily due to the collapse in demand.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,038 ✭✭✭minerleague

Paid 16k inc. vat.

You did well there, reason I know - was looking at that time and toyota LC was 5 to 6k dearer than other makes ( all else being equal) Bought 07 pajero sport 2.5 , been a good jeep no major repairs since ( changed flywheel to solid as they supposed to give trouble)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,735 ✭✭✭lakill Farm

You did well there, reason I know - was looking at that time and toyota LC was 5 to 6k dearer than other makes ( all else being equal) Bought 07 pajero sport 2.5 , been a good jeep no major repairs since ( changed flywheel to solid as they supposed to give trouble)

had a 2006 sport. Bought it in 2007 and put 300km on it with no issue ever except a turbo blew but it was traced back to a faulty spurious oil filter so cant blame Mitsubishi for that.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,867 ✭✭✭GrasstoMilk

Ah sure it must be. The bigger the tyre the less rolling resistance, the more tyre in contact with the ground, the less impact on the soil. I couldn't give you %'s better but it'd have to be.

I was worried about the dribble bar sticking up in the high heavens and catching a shoot and telephone wires.
    Have a deal done on a major dribble bar with vogelsang macerator this morning. 7.5m but folds up very tidy behind.

Well wear, did Barry source the tanker for you?
    Had thought about changing tanker here but sticking with umbilical for the time being

Well wear, did Barry source the tanker for you?
    Had thought about changing tanker here but sticking with umbilical for the time being

Cheers!
    No i found it through done deal.
    Dribble bar will be Barry.

I'm a little worried about the size of it but we'll see what'll happen. It tracks the tractor fairly well. Dumpy drawbar on the tanker means I have to tie up the lift arms though.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 24,384 ✭✭✭✭Reggie.

Cheers!

I'm a little worried about the size of it but we'll see what'll happen. It tracks the tractor fairly well. Dumpy drawbar on the tanker means I have to tie up the lift arms though.

She ll have no bother pulling it

• Registered Users Posts: 3,527 ✭✭✭Limestone Cowboy

Oil cooler cobble job a success for now anyway... She lives again :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,443 ✭✭✭JustJoe7240

Were they 2.5l? The 2.5l had a different pump any never gave trouble.
    I could name 6 or 7 lads with 3.2l pajero's within 5 miles of me all had pump failures, that aside they are bulletproof nothing else goes wrong in them, i'd have them ahead of landcruisers.

First was a 2.5, Following 2 and current one were 3.2

• Registered Users Posts: 726 ✭✭✭valtra2

Cheers!

Did you by chance get it from my side of the hill.

valtra2 wrote: »
    Did you by chance get it from my side of the hill.

JD.

• Registered Users Posts: 726 ✭✭✭valtra2

JD.

Though it looked like it alright. Some serious kit he got.

Paid 16k inc. vat.

A friend showed me a 05 swb he bought over the weekend. It's very clean and 150,000 miles @ €7500, he's the last 6 months watching donedeal and missed out on several that were sold within a few hour's.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,183 ✭✭✭ruwithme

I'd think that not a outrageous price for that Albert. If she has test & a bit of tax &is lucky she will be grand

Re the chassis,they do go a bit to say the least hard on them in some cvrt centres.
    The lassie who finished me with me 99 reg, went on soon after to get a plum job with the RSA.

ruwithme wrote: »
    I'd think that not a outrageous price for that Albert. If she has test & a bit of tax &is lucky she will be grand

Re the chassis,they do go a bit to say the least hard on them in some cvrt centres.
    The lassie who finished me with me 99 reg, went on soon after to get a plum job with the RSA.

I suppose it probably isn't that dear given the market atm and the fact that it looks safe enough condition wise. As you said if it's lucky then that's half the battle.

There's another part of me that says it's a serious outlay for a 16 year old jeep and no matter how clean it looks that it's best day's are over. What price is a new swb commercial land cruiser?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,905 ✭✭✭kevthegaff

Why is there such a difference with the commercial landcruisers and the seated ones in price?

Advertisement