Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Machinery Photo/Discussion Thread II

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 24,385 ✭✭✭✭Reggie.

Someone has to keep the second-hand market going..

20210112-135013.jpg

20210112-134941.jpg

20210112-134922.jpg

New to mise tanker.

Look at you all grown up now

• Registered Users Posts: 11,218 ✭✭✭✭Say my name

Reggie. wrote: »
    Look at you all grown up now

Trailing behind ya. :p

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 1,876 Mod ✭✭✭✭Albert Johnson

kevthegaff wrote: »
    I was looking at landcruiser prices, nuts. They reckon their will be a shortage of cars and jeeps coming in from the uk in the near future.

I've been keeping an eye on donedeal over Xmas, mostly out of boredom with being off work for the festivities. I'd formed the opinion that all jeeps had increased in price lately but I'd agree that land cruisers in particular have experienced a price jump in the last few month's.

The older pre 03 body shape are now making either side of €5000 for anything in half reasonable shape and you'd still be looking at a circa 20 year old jeep with maybe 250,000 or more miles. Once you go into the mid naughties regs your talking €10,000 for anything approaching good condition and sub 200,000 miles. There was a clean lwb 08 a few weeks back with I think around 150,000 miles @ €13,500, it's a serious touch for a 13 year old jeep.

I'm of the opinion that the only value to be had in a land cruiser is in the €20,000+ category, unless you know the history of a lot of those lower priced older jeeps they could prove to be a money pit from the outset. I'd say there's more 97-01 models left locally than 02-03, there seems to be better lasting in the older one's. What's people's opinions on the mitsubishi pajero/shogun from let's say 2012 onwards? There not that common locally but look a nice jeep and you'd still have a 3.2 engine.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,194 ✭✭✭✭Nekarsulm

Will you be relying on 4x4 breakers yards and Independent suppliers for parts in a couple of years time?
    Mitsubishi pulling out of Europe completely, it seems.

Mind you, the same is true for anyone with a Trooper or Land Rover.

Nekarsulm wrote: »
    Will you be relying on 4x4 breakers yards and Independent suppliers for parts in a couple of years time?
    Mitsubishi pulling out of Europe completely, it seems.

Mind you, the same is true for anyone with a Trooper or Land Rover.

Perhaps, I'd forgotten that Mitsubishi had signalled there departure from the EU Market. But is access to breaker parts not a fact of life when dealing with older jeeps?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 549 ✭✭✭Morris Moss

New Bus here

New Bus here

Now that's fancy!

Well may it ware.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,194 ✭✭✭✭Nekarsulm

Perhaps, I'd forgotten that Mitsubishi had signalled there departure from the EU Market. But is access to breaker parts not a fact of life when dealing with older jeeps?

It is indeed, in fact the best plan is to buy another one yourself "for parts" to keep the daily driver on the road as long as possible.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 604 ✭✭✭TooOldBoots

New Bus here

Well ware. I think a new tractor vs a second hand one is the right move in the current market. Plus I can see the price of them tractors rising over the next 18 months with all this money printing.
    Tidy tractor, what HP is it?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,130 ✭✭✭Grueller

New Bus here

Always loved the look of the deutz. Never actually considered one as there is no independent mechanic in the area here that works on them regularly.
    Best of luck with her.

Edit: What was the lead time on her from order to delivery Morris?

• Advertisement

Nekarsulm wrote: »
    It is indeed, in fact the best plan is to buy another one yourself "for parts" to keep the daily driver on the road as long as possible.

Yes although the problem with having a source of spare parts is that there oftentimes only much addition if your mechanically minded. By this I mean that labour costs are still going to make it an expensive endeavour unless you can tackle most things yourself. I'm no way mechanically minded and therefore I'd prefer something that just needed servicing and diesel. Some lad's love working away at a jeep and seeing how long they can keep it on the road.

Well ware. I think a new tractor vs a second hand one is the right move in the current market. Plus I can see the price of them tractors rising over the next 18 months with all this money printing.
    Tidy tractor, what HP is it?

Thanks, had looked at second hand and value wasn't great compared to new alright, she's 185hp, future proofing ourselves.

• Registered Users Posts: 726 ✭✭✭French Toast

New Bus here

Well wear. The Deutz are gone fairly popular recently.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,175 ✭✭✭✭Donald Trump

It's nice cos I've no hills. :p And not much road work.

Ah no she's well shod and has brackets for a dribble bar which will be the next addition.

I'm coming from a 1300 tank so it'll speed up the job.

Not tempted to get the lot together under LESS?

The one you have looks in good nick. Perhaps the previous owner upgraded themselves with LESS - although it does have the brackets. A lot of fellas are going to be stuck now with the new rules so I'd say there'd be a few knocking around for sale this year with lads upgrading.

Grueller wrote: »
    Always loved the look of the deutz. Never actually considered one as there is no independent mechanic in the area here that works on them regularly.
    Best of luck with her.

Edit: What was the lead time on her from order to delivery Morris?

Had a deutz here anyway and never gave much bother so no point changing for us, ah that tractor was in stock but a few things had to be done to it before we got it, we bought in early December.

Not tempted to get the lot together under LESS?

The one you have looks in good nick. Perhaps the previous owner upgraded themselves with LESS - although it does have the brackets. A lot of fellas are going to be stuck now with the new rules so I'd say there'd be a few knocking around for sale this year with lads upgrading.

Yea the owner upgraded to a new tank and dribblebar under the scheme.
    I was pricing new but it's cheaper by a good bit for me to buy this 2nd hand and apply for a dribble bar under the scheme.

I was pricing new but it's cheaper by a good bit for me to buy this 2nd hand and apply for a dribble bar under the scheme.

Will ya go dribble bar or trailing shoe?

Will ya go dribble bar or trailing shoe?

Dribble for simplicity and weight.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,175 ✭✭✭✭Donald Trump

Applications close on Friday!

Applications close on Friday!

Approved both ways since April last.. ;)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 168 ✭✭mad-for-tar

blue5000 wrote: »
    Well wear, just in time. Is there a Cummins in the Case?
    Thanks. I'm not sure on the engine.
    It's a 10 maxxum 115, 6 cylinder if that's any use.
    A whiney yoke.

Iveco/FPT engine, NEF or New Engine Family as it was known. 6.7 litre, this one with mechanical injection. Was a joint venture in the beginning between Cummins and Iveco (you’ll see EEA in raised letters in places on the blocks of some which stood for European Engine Alliance).

They parted ways a few years after and whilst both use in large the same blocks and design, they do now have their differences as per each manufacturers own specs.

You’d want to see the factory in Turin, Italy, it’s acres and acres under cover, Strada del Cascinette if I remember is one of the streets close by. Millions of engines churned out of there every year.

The gearbox sure does whine on them alright, old 40 series Ford design, 16/17x16, carried over and beefed up over the years.

Good workhorse though the 115hp 6 cylinder.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,405 ✭✭✭hopeso

New Bus here

Well wear! Lovely looking yoke! :cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,961 ✭✭✭SuperTortoise

I've been keeping an eye on donedeal over Xmas, mostly out of boredom with being off work for the festivities. I'd formed the opinion that all jeeps had increased in price lately but I'd agree that land cruisers in particular have experienced a price jump in the last few month's.

The older pre 03 body shape are now making either side of €5000 for anything in half reasonable shape and you'd still be looking at a circa 20 year old jeep with maybe 250,000 or more miles. Once you go into the mid naughties regs your talking €10,000 for anything approaching good condition and sub 200,000 miles. There was a clean lwb 08 a few weeks back with I think around 150,000 miles @ €13,500, it's a serious touch for a 13 year old jeep.

I'm of the opinion that the only value to be had in a land cruiser is in the €20,000+ category, unless you know the history of a lot of those lower priced older jeeps they could prove to be a money pit from the outset. I'd say there's more 97-01 models left locally than 02-03, there seems to be better lasting in the older one's. What's people's opinions on the mitsubishi pajero/shogun from let's say 2012 onwards? There not that common locally but look a nice jeep and you'd still have a 3.2 engine.

If memory serves me the last of the shockingly bad injector pump issues was around the 2012 mark in the 3.2 pajero's, they went from 2001 right up to 2012 or thereabouts(might be 2001-2007 can't remember), they all break and you're talking north of €3000 to fix. Fuel lines corrode, lets in air and that breaks the pump.

Second hand jeeps are gone completely cracked, can't and won't touch them at the mad money being asked, looked at a 05 landcruiser, well minded in fairness and 270K on the clock, was asked 8.5K, 07 pajero very middling nick, 170K on the clock, was asked 11K, absolutely mental money.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,864 ✭✭✭enricoh

I wouldn't mind but fresh second hand land cruisers were going for a song 10 years ago. All the builders/ tradesmen heading to oz or canada were offloading.

If memory serves me the last of the shockingly bad injector pump issues was around the 2012 mark in the 3.2 pajero's, they went from 2001 right up to 2012 or thereabouts(might be 2001-2007 can't remember), they all break and you're talking north of €3000 to fix. Fuel lines corrode, lets in air and that breaks the pump.

Second hand jeeps are gone completely cracked, can't and won't touch them at the mad money being asked, looked at a 05 landcruiser, well minded in fairness and 270K on the clock, was asked 8.5K, 07 pajero very middling nick, 170K on the clock, was asked 11K, absolutely mental money.

The injector pump issues weren't something I was aware of, as I said there not that popular locally. There's probably a reason for that rarity but I was looking at what €20,000 would buy in a pajero compared to a land cruiser. Also I've been hearing lads talk for year's about how underpowered the newer land cruisers are compared to the older models. There's not many manufacturers offering 3 litre engines in recent year's and although I don't tow huge loads I'd prefer to have the power there for when needed.

I agree that the second hand market is crazy dear but if you need a jeep you'll have to buy something. I figured out the hard way that there's nothing as expensive as a bad yolk. At least if you bought something clean and reliable you'd have something to show for your money compared to throwing money in a crock of a thing and still not having any comfort.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,443 ✭✭✭JustJoe7240

They don't, 4 Pajeros/Shoguns here between 01 and 16, Never any injector pump issues.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,961 ✭✭✭SuperTortoise

They don't, 4 Pajeros/Shoguns here between 01 and 16, Never any injector pump issues.

Were they 2.5l? The 2.5l had a different pump any never gave trouble.
    I could name 6 or 7 lads with 3.2l pajero's within 5 miles of me all had pump failures, that aside they are bulletproof nothing else goes wrong in them, i'd have them ahead of landcruisers.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,187 ✭✭✭Tonynewholland

enricoh wrote: »
    I wouldn't mind but fresh second hand land cruisers were going for a song 10 years ago. All the builders/ tradesmen heading to oz or canada were offloading.

I was thinking of trading in a 3 year old land cruiser around that time. The main dealer wouldn’t take a trade in at the time. To many in their yard already

• Registered Users Posts: 655 ✭✭✭josephsoap

I was thinking of trading in a 3 year old land cruiser around that time. The main dealer wouldn’t take a trade in at the time. To many in their yard already

It must have been unreal the amount of new landcruisers sold between the years 2003 - 2008 some amount of them still on the road today.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,291 ✭✭✭FintanMcluskey

josephsoap wrote: »
    It must have been unreal the amount of new landcruisers sold between the years 2003 - 2008 some amount of them still on the road today.

No other jeep survives in the way the landcruiser does

Advertisement