Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Unpopular Opinions - OP Updated with Threadban List 4/5/21

Options

Comments

In Dublin, it's mostly pronounced 'Sursha' whereas 'Seersha' seems predominant elsewhere.

So it's an either/or. That's fine so.

But aint Ronan a Carlovian?

She was good in "Hannah" though so I'll no longer bother with her real life affectations.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,812 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

Much of the hardships and discrimination faced by members of the travelling community is because of their own actions.

Wrong thread.
    That's a worryingly popular opinion.

Wrong thread.
    That's a worryingly popular opinion.

Not according to RTE or the many NGOs so one could be fooled into thinking it's an unpopular opinion even though it's not only popular it's also logically correct.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,135 ✭✭✭Better Than Christ

But what has port-leesh or port-leesha got to do with Seer-sha?

Almost everyone who lives there pronounces it 'incorrectly'.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7,466 ✭✭✭blinding

Much of the hardships and discrimination faced by members of the travelling community is because of their own actions.
    Thats probably an Under-Statement !

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 8,474 ✭✭✭Obvious Desperate Breakfasts

So it's an either/or. That's fine so.

But aint Ronan a Carlovian?

She was good in "Hannah" though so I'll no longer bother with her real life affectations.

She lived in Carlow for a while but her parents are Dubs and she was homeschooled a lot so they were her primary influence. I think she spent some of her teenage years in Dublin too.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,695 ✭✭✭✭One eyed Jack

Almost everyone who lives there pronounces it 'incorrectly'.

Just out of interest, genuinely, how do you pronounce Portlaoise, that you think almost everyone who lives there pronounces it “incorrectly”?

I don’t know whether the inverted commas means in your opinion they’re pronouncing Portlaoise correctly or not, it’s very confusing tbh :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 18,334 ✭✭✭✭gormdubhgorm

I despise the people who when they find out you dont vote because none of them are worth voting for cry "you have to vote, as people died for the right to vote",

The notion that people fought for the right to choose is lost on these people. If you are forced to vote for people you dont like, then those people that died for the right, died for nothing.

You could spoil your vote and write some witticism on it, which could be read out on the telly. Wouldn't that be Justin Credible Darts?

Guff about stuff, and stuff about guff.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,334 ✭✭✭✭gormdubhgorm

hardybuck wrote: »
    Saoirse Ronan is a fairly middle of the road actress with a fake Dublin accent.

What is a 'fake' accent though/ Considering she was raised in Howth in her teens.

Guff about stuff, and stuff about guff.

Just out of interest, genuinely, how do you pronounce Portlaoise, that you think almost everyone who lives there pronounces it “incorrectly”?

I don’t know whether the inverted commas means in your opinion they’re pronouncing Portlaoise correctly or not, it’s very confusing tbh :pac:

I pronounce it the same way as almost everyone who isn't an RTE newsreader. There are some who would regard that as 'incorrect'.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 73 ✭✭Mick McGraw

The correct pronunciation is Portleix.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,695 ✭✭✭✭One eyed Jack

I pronounce it the same way as almost everyone who isn't an RTE newsreader. There are some who would regard that as 'incorrect'.

I get you now, know exactly what you mean :D

Controversial :pac:

The site of the present town is referred to in the Annals of the Four Masters, written in the 1630s, as Port Laoighisi. The present town originated as a settlement around the old fort, "Fort of Leix" or "Fort Protector", the remains of which can still be seen in the town centre.

Wiki

Maryborough.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,505 ✭✭✭✭Mad_maxx

What is a 'fake' accent though/ Considering she was raised in Howth in her teens.

That's not a howth accent

• Registered Users Posts: 2,653 ✭✭✭KiKi III

Mad_maxx wrote: »
    That's not a howth accent

I spent my childhood in Dublin, my teens in the West, my early adulthood in Limerick and most of my 20s abroad. As a result I have a pretty unconventional, mixed up accent - doesn’t make it fake. It’s not that uncommon for someone who spends a lot of time in different places growing up.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 443 ✭✭Hairy Japanese BASTARDS!

Margaret Thatcher did some good apart from being a wicked witch who let Bobby Sands die, she stood up against public sector unions.
    I wish we had that here.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,164 ✭✭✭hardybuck

It just sounds like she's making an effort with it. She hasn't taken too much from her years growing up in Carlow that's for sure.

I'm more focused on her mediocre acting. Nothing against the girl, but I can't believe she got Oscar nominated so many times. Maybe she is that talented, maybe her PR team are.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,848 ✭✭✭✭Potential-Monke

The only true test is how you pronounce "scone"

Skon

UO: I'm already sick of all the Black Lives Matter bandwagoning. And that's all it is, bandwagoning.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,404 ✭✭✭Justin Credible Darts

Skon

UO: I'm already sick of all the Black Lives Matter bandwagoning. And that's all it is, bandwagoning.

mass hysteria, prompted by the media who are lapping this up

This whole black lives matter annoys me, I though all lives matter.

And if the black people truly believe the police are indeed corrupt and racist, then rioting is only going to make the police more likely to shoot them.

when the british had their "shoot to kill policy" in the north, the catholics did not riot and attack innocent protestants,

What happened to Floyd was wrong, without question but antagonizing the police wont solve the issue.
    no "black lives matter" slogan will suddenly make a racist change his ways unfortunately.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,848 ✭✭✭✭Potential-Monke

And the reaction to the riot cops is just summed up perfectly in this pic which I can't post so I'll describe it:

People: Riot
    Police: Use riot tactics
    People: Surprised Pikachu meme

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,973 ✭✭✭Chris_Heilong

mass hysteria, prompted by the media who are lapping this up

This whole black lives matter annoys me, I though all lives matter.

And if the black people truly believe the police are indeed corrupt and racist, then rioting is only going to make the police more likely to shoot them.

when the british had their "shoot to kill policy" in the north, the catholics did not riot and attack innocent protestants,

What happened to Floyd was wrong, without question but antagonizing the police wont solve the issue.
    no "black lives matter" slogan will suddenly make a racist change his ways unfortunately.

This is both logic and truth, why are so many out there so unwilling to see it like it is?

• Registered Users Posts: 13,505 ✭✭✭✭Mad_maxx

young people today lack independent mindedness

• Registered Users Posts: 2,108 ✭✭✭boombang

If we don't maintain something horrible like direct provision, then there will be more economic migrants attempting to claim aslyum than Ireland can reasonably cope with.

• Registered Users Posts: 366 ✭✭Roger the cabin boy

Donald Trump is the best President the US has had since JFK.

KiKi III wrote: »
    You seem to have a well thought through opinion on the matter. I’d still hold the opinion that 9 is far too young to be introduced to a lethal weapon of any kind. I just don’t think there’s any need for it.

I think when I made the choice I had the opposite opinion. I can see that children take on certain concepts and behaviours like sponges to the point it becomes ingrained muscle memory. With older kids - and even adults - they are just gonna get off on the idea they have a weapon and it is harder to teach them respect for it.

Here is the video that first inspired me to go down that road actually.

If she wanted to be at this point she could _be_ a lethal weapon. Especially to other kids. She has been learning martial arts she was 5.

But instead we are ingraining into her this concept that violence itself - the weapon itself - deserves a lot of respect and is never something one reaches to except as a last resort in any interaction outside sport.

I find the worst person to reach for a weapon or rush into a fight - the person who causes the most damage, often to themselves or innocents other than their intended target - are the people who have never done it before. The adrenaline rush of inexperience can be pretty ugly.

It seems counter intuitive but I teach my kids to use weapons and violence so they never actually do.
    Five year olds do not have the mental capacity to understand gun safety. They do not understand life and death.

I think you should not underestimate what 5 year olds can or can not understand. They vary wildly in that capacity. As a parent one of my jobs is to see past the mere number of their age and gauge what _my_ child is or is not ready to understand.

That said though - with children often they are not required to understand the reasoning or meaning behind what you teach them.

With both gun use and martial arts use - I have worked hard to implant certain autonomic responses and muscle memory and reactions and behaviours. They do not _need_ to know yet why I have trained their body to automatically react in a certain way under certain conditions - that understanding can come later - they just need to learn it.

For example if I grab my daughter from behind when she is not expecting it - she now without thinking about it moves her arms and hands into a particular position. It's literally instinct to her now. I did not need her to understand violence or sex or rape or anything else to have her learn it or know why she was learning it.

I think when I made the choice I had the opposite opinion. I can see that children take on certain concepts and behaviours like sponges to the point it becomes ingrained muscle memory. With older kids - and even adults - they are just gonna get off on the idea they have a weapon and it is harder to teach them respect for it.

Here is the video that first inspired me to go down that road actually.

If she wanted to be at this point she could _be_ a lethal weapon. Especially to other kids. She has been learning martial arts she was 5.

But instead we are ingraining into her this concept that violence itself - the weapon itself - deserves a lot of respect and is never something one reaches to except as a last resort in any interaction outside sport.

I find the worst person to reach for a weapon or rush into a fight - the person who causes the most damage, often to themselves or innocents other than their intended target - are the people who have never done it before. The adrenaline rush of inexperience can be pretty ugly.

It seems counter intuitive but I teach my kids to use weapons and violence so they never actually do.

I think you should not underestimate what 5 year olds can or can not understand. They vary wildly in that capacity. As a parent one of my jobs is to see past the mere number of their age and gauge what _my_ child is or is not ready to understand.

That said though - with children often they are not required to understand the reasoning or meaning behind what you teach them.

With both gun use and martial arts use - I have worked hard to implant certain autonomic responses and muscle memory and reactions and behaviours. They do not _need_ to know yet why I have trained their body to automatically react in a certain way under certain conditions - that understanding can come later - they just need to learn it.

For example if I grab my daughter from behind when she is not expecting it - she now without thinking about it moves her arms and hands into a particular position. It's literally instinct to her now. I did not need her to understand violence or sex or rape or anything else to have her learn it or know why she was learning it.

I buried my grandmother over the weekend.
    One of my seven year old cousins was brought to say goodbye to her in her last hours, he saw her laid out at the house and he saw the coffin go into the ground. Back at the house after he asked “how will we bring nanny back to life?” and “when will nanny come back”

It’s no surprise to me that he doesn’t understand the finality of death. Between video games where you die and come back to life and a priest talking about everlasting life i can easily see how he would be confused. He’s a smart kid, but he just turned 7, I wouldn’t expect him to know better than he does.

This is both logic and truth, why are so many out there so unwilling to see it like it is?

Because it’s like going up to someone at a breast cancer event saying ALL CANCERS MATTER.

Or people at an event for the elderly saying ALL AGES MATTER.

Or telling a paramedic who’s giving someone CPR after a heart attack ALL HEARTS MATTER.

Or a fireman putting out a house that’s in flames ALL HOUSES MATTER.

Like yeah, that’s true. We’re just focused on the one that’s in trouble at the moment. The phrase Black Lives Matter is not intended to mean other lives don’t matter; and it’s pathetic to see white people trying to centre themselves in that narrative.

Because it’s like going up to someone at a breast cancer event saying ALL CANCERS MATTER.

Or telling a paramedic who’s giving someone CPR after a heart attack ALL HEARTS MATTER.

Like yeah, that’s true. We’re just focused on the one that’s in trouble at the moment. The phrase Black Lives Matter is not intended to mean other lives don’t matter; and it’s pathetic to see white people trying to centre themselves in that narrative.

This is a brilliant analogy.

And going by many of the posts around here and on social media, generally, a truly unpopular opinion!

Bravo

• Registered Users Posts: 28,866 ✭✭✭✭Quazzie

But the people in the breast cancer event are burning down restaurants and emptying shops.

• Advertisement

I buried my grandmother over the weekend.
    One of my seven year old cousins was brought to say goodbye to her in her last hours, he saw her laid out at the house and he saw the coffin go into the ground. Back at the house after he asked “how will we bring nanny back to life?” and “when will nanny come back”

It’s no surprise to me that he doesn’t understand the finality of death. Between video games where you die and come back to life and a priest talking about everlasting life i can easily see how he would be confused. He’s a smart kid, but he just turned 7, I wouldn’t expect him to know better than he does.

I'm sorry about your grandmother. Strange times for bereavement.

Honestly, I think your nephew has been extremely sheltered if, as a smart kid, he hasn't grasped the finality of death at 7.

You might be arguing that taxAH's children are over exposed to life but I'd argue that your nephew has been over sheltered.

Advertisement