Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Unpopular Opinions - OP Updated with Threadban List 4/5/21

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,474 ✭✭✭Obvious Desperate Breakfasts

KiKi III wrote: »
    You realise 100 states in the US are protesting and rioting over identity politics right now? Easy to be dismissive.

Pretty much all aspects of politics are identity politics.

Well, that’s not true. Things like housing, health and taxation have nothing to do with identity politics. And focusing too much on identity politics is killing the Labour party in the UK right now and alienating much of their voter base. If I still lived in the UK, I don’t know who I’d vote for now.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,186 ✭✭✭✭jmayo

The riots, whether you condone the violence or not, are amplifying the message. This is global news for over a week now because of the riots. The news cycle would have moved on now otherwise.

There is fook all news really bar covid for the last couple of months.
    Hell even wars in places like Syria, Yemen has take a back seat to covid.
    Brexit has gone off the headlines in this part of the world.
    There is no sports, no new films released in cinemas.

So media are loving something new and juicy to fill airtime and pages.

Yes I am cynical but I am around long enough to know how the world works.
    Honestly, I agree. But people getting more upset over that than a six year old growing up without her dad because he was killed in broad daylight by the police is crazy to me.

What about death of ex police captain David Dorn protecting friend's store ?
    What about shooting of security man Dave Patrick Underwood?
    What about the death of 22-year-old Italia Kelly leaving a protest outside a Walmart ?

Why shouldn't people get upset about their needless loss of life ?
    Most people who support BLM want Direct Provision abolished.

Fools and dreamers.
    Also probably the ones least likely to have to pay for anything.
    Sorry, you’re right - it’s 7,000 shot with 1,000 of those shot dead.

7,000 killings sounded so much better for your argument. :rolleyes:

I am not allowed discuss …

• Registered Users Posts: 2,653 ✭✭✭KiKi III

Well, that’s not true. Things like housing, health and taxation have nothing to do with identity politics. And focusing too much on identity politics is killing the Labour party in the UK right now and alienating much of their voter base. If I still lived in the UK, I don’t know who I’d vote for now.

I’d disagree. A person’s position on a lot of issues related to health, housing and taxation depend a lot on whether they identify as working class, the “squeezed middle”, or comfortably well off. And also whether they identify as liberal or conservative. Rural or urban. Our identities shape our views on most things including the economy.

jmayo wrote: »
    7,000 killings sounded so much better for your argument. :rolleyes:

You say that as if 7,000 shootings with “just” 1,000 deaths is totally acceptable and completely debunks my argument. It really doesn’t. If you think that was a clever point you made, it wasn’t at all.

CQD pointed out that I quoted the wrong figure, I acknowledged he was correct and apologised - all before you got here.

It’s how adults communicate.

I’d disagree. A person’s position on a lot of issues related to health, housing and taxation depend a lot on whether they identify as working class, the “squeezed middle”, or comfortably well off. And also whether they identify as liberal or conservative. Rural or urban. Our identities shape our views on most things including the economy.

Declaring what you “identify as” doesn’t change your material reality in relation to those things. Saying “I identify as” is quite a new phenomenon and, IMO, pandering to identity politics is what has buggered the Labour party in the UK. It’s alienating to a lot of people who just don’t really care about such niche topics. Many people do not choose to participate in identity politics. It’s untrue to say that all politics is identity politics, which is a subheading of politics.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,404 ✭✭✭Justin Credible Darts

I wonder how many of the brainwashed white simpletons going around shouting black lives matter not because they actually believe it, or know what racism by the police is etc actually give money to the starving in africa, or do anything that contributes to black charities etc,
    I believe most are doing this because of pc conditioning.

Where were those people when latino immigrants in to the states were being put in cages, separated from their kids, while an orange simpleton would boast about his wall.

where was the latino lives matter. marches ?...dont recall mexicans rioting and attacking innocent people.

Again what happened to floyd was wrong, but most people are jumping on the bandwagon cos its the in thing to do currently,

• Registered Users Posts: 5,378 ✭✭✭Duffy the Vampire Slayer

I wonder how many of the brainwashed white simpletons going around shouting black lives matter not because they actually believe it, or know what racism by the police is etc actually give money to the starving in africa, or do anything that contributes to black charities etc,
    I believe most are doing this because of pc conditioning.

Where were those people when latino immigrants in to the states were being put in cages, separated from their kids, while an orange simpleton would boast about his wall.

where was the latino lives matter. marches ?...dont recall mexicans rioting and attacking innocent people.

Again what happened to floyd was wrong, but most people are jumping on the bandwagon cos its the in thing to do currently,

Are you having a laugh? There was huge controversy over that. However, those who protested were met with the usual dismissals of "SJWs" and "virtue signallers".

show me where the mexicans rioted then !

Declaring what you “identify as” doesn’t change your material reality in relation to those things. Saying “I identify as” is quite a new phenomenon and, IMO, pandering to identity politics is what has buggered the Labour party in the UK. It’s alienating to a lot of people who just don’t really care about such niche topics. Many people do not choose to participate in identity politics. It’s untrue to say that all politics is identity politics, which is a subheading of politics.

Agree to disagree I guess.

If you choose to just see identity as LGBT stuff and the like that may be true.

They presumably didn't, seeing as the people being held in cages are almost all from the smaller countries of Central America, not Mexico.

• Advertisement

An unpopular opinion it may be but blacks are more prone towards violence

Many protests/marches often end up in looting and wanton acts of violence and vandalism.

This here clip happened in parliament ffs

https://www.google.co.uk/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&source=web&cd=&cad=rja&uact=8&ved=2ahUKEwjqjYH39ejpAhUytHEKHRQpD8AQFjAAegQIAhAB&url=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.youtube.com%2Fwatch%3Fv%3DfENfdSHSsAw&usg=AOvVaw2_MQpbnXF1IJS2S4NvxckI

Agree to disagree I guess.

If you choose to just see identity as LGBT stuff and the like that may be true.

I don’t. It’s many things. Most of it tedious.

They presumably didn't, seeing as the people being held in cages are almost all from the smaller countries of Central America, not Mexico.

my point is many people of different cultures, creeds and races are victimized.
    Its not only black people that face racism, us Irish got it also,

but it seems its only the blacks that riot.

Because a guy was wrongly killed in one state, does not mean others in other states should be rioting.

No protest, peaceful or violent will change a damn thing, racism will always exist, long after trump goes and long after we are gone

Many protests/marches often end up in looting and wanton acts of violence and vandalism.

https://www.google.co.uk/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&source=web&cd=&cad=rja&uact=8&ved=2ahUKEwjqjYH39ejpAhUytHEKHRQpD8AQFjAAegQIAhAB&url=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.youtube.com%2Fwatch%3Fv%3DfENfdSHSsAw&usg=AOvVaw2_MQpbnXF1IJS2S4NvxckI

Let's humour your racist drivel.

Here are some Koreans fighting in parliament.... They must be very violent people!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1v7ICW1w9xg

Oh and here are some Turks doing the same...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Vi96f4v5iC0

And Ukrainians....

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AmkvO_IwsZ0

Wow, it seems like all sorts of people are more prone towards violence.

Are you seriously suggesting Irish people never rioted?

You might want to take a look up north.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,418 ✭✭✭✭gormdubhgorm

It is actually a fair point. But the fact is a black man getting killed by a white policeman is always going to cause a spark in the USA. Given thier history of slavery.
    There is a definite hierarchy of 'outrage' that results in a stronger resonance with the masses as a result.

Guff about stuff, and stuff about guff.

Are you seriously suggesting Irish people never rioted?

You might want to take a look up north.

Did they loot their own peoples shops ?
    Attack other catholics.

did we riot in the republic because of what happened in another part of the island.

You can make any argument you like, it wont change the fact, no rioting, violent protests, or even peaceful protests will eliminate racism.

It exists now, and will exist long after we are gone sadly, and no hashtag will change it

Because a guy was wrongly killed in one state, does not mean others in other states should be rioting.

No protest, peaceful or violent will change a damn thing, racism will always exist, long after trump goes and long after we are gone

So, do you have a problem with riots, or protests generally? I can't tell which.

Did they loot their own peoples shops ?
    Attack other catholics.

did we riot in the republic because of what happened in another part of the island.

Some probably did. There was a lot of looting in Dublin in 1916 after all. I don't know about examples in the north though.

Yes, we did. The British embassy was burned to the ground after Bloody Sunday, and attacked again in 1981 during the Hunger Strikes.

You might want to read a history book.

• Advertisement

How am I racist ?

This is typical of people like you, you dont like what you read and you start labeling people racist.

I wasn't talking to you in that post. I was responding to a poster who said that black people were more violent and linked to a video of a fight in the Ugandan parliament. That would be clear if you quoted my entire response, but you didn't. Why?

This post reminds me of a swimming lifeguard seriously telling me that blacks can't swim as well as white people, because they have more muscle mass. :eek:

There was also a view prevalent in the 1970's in England that black soccer players were flaky, untrustworthy and would not like the cold weather.

So, do you have a problem with riots, or protests generally? I can't tell which.

Yes I have a problem with violent rioting.

As for peaceful protest I have no issue, its their legal right to peacefully protest.

If you actually read my posts you will see it wont eliminate racism though.

Do you remember the 'love ulster' protests/riots in Dublin city centre 2006?

Yes I have a problem with violent rioting.

As for peaceful protest I have no issue, its their legal right to peacefully protest.

If you actually read my posts you will see it wont eliminate racism though.

Perhaps not, but it might make a difference. Many protests have changed the world.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 22,842 CMod ✭✭✭✭Ten of Swords

Take it back a notch guys. We're here for the unpopular opinions not to read a multi-page back and forth between 2 posters

Perhaps not, but it might make a difference. Many protests have changed the world.

The problem with the police force in the USA is this.

The cop that killed Floyd had multiple accusations, incidents etc on his record and was still allowed to remain on the force, removing him is great, BUT why was he still on the force, those in charge claiming to address the situation are the same people who allowed that cop to remain in the first place.

The media are whipping people into a frenzy as if this was a case of just black people being the only victims of racism,

Where is the "latino lives matter"
    Where is the "arab lives matter"

Are we suppose to believe the hispanic and middle east communities do not get treated like dirt also ?
    This is a nation formed by massacre of the indigenous native americans.

I was brought up to believe all lives matter, but am also aware that sadly racism will exist regardless, and whilst that is sad, its something no protest will change

I think any non-Americans and those living outside the USA giving out about Democrats/Republicans or whoever just sounds silly. I can't get my head around how much investment such people have giving about Trump for example. Some even comparing him to Hitler!

This post reminds me of a swimming lifeguard seriously telling me that blacks can't swim as well as white people, because they have more muscle mass. :eek:

There was also a view prevalent in the 1970's in England that black soccer players were flaky, untrustworthy and would not like the cold weather.

A professional gambler and sports/betting pundit known as "The Greek" got sacked from his Television job because he suggested/inferred that blacks have a natural advantage in sports or something to that effect. Slavery/breeding were referenced. This was sometime in the 70s or 80s I think. He had a point. Think his first name was Jimmy. There was a documentary about it on ESPN, 30 for 30.

The pinnacle of athletic prowess is probably the 100 metre sprint. When was the last time a non-black had the record time in that particular event?

• Advertisement

A professional gambler and sports/betting pundit known as "The Greek" got sacked from his Television job because he suggested/inferred that blacks have a natural advantage in sports or something to that effect. Slavery/breeding were referenced. This was sometime in the 70s or 80s I think. He had a point. Think his first name was Jimmy. There was a documentary about it on ESPN, 30 for 30.

The pinnacle of athletic prowess is probably the 100 metre sprint. When was the last time a non-black had the record time in that particular event?

In fairness, it's not just black people, it's a specific subset. People of west African descent dominate that race. Other regions don't do so well.

Advertisement