Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Unpopular Opinions - OP Updated with Threadban List 4/5/21

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,094 ✭✭✭✭castletownman

hardybuck wrote: »
    Saoirse Ronan is a fairly middle of the road actress with a fake Dublin accent.

Agree. I have said it before that its her unconventional looks rather than her acting talent that has brought her to where she is. Think of all the unattractive characters she has played. A bit like Helena Bonham Carter but less alluring.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,164 ✭✭✭hardybuck

Agree. I have said it before that its her unconventional looks rather than her acting talent that has brought her to where she is. Think of all the unattractive characters she has played. A bit like Helena Bonham Carter but less alluring.

I forecast that she'll fade into obscurity as she enters her 30s.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,135 ✭✭✭Better Than Christ

• Registered Users Posts: 15,066 ✭✭✭✭Fr Tod Umptious

‘Sara’ and ‘Oh, Sister’ are great but ‘Isis’, ‘Hurricane’ and ‘Joey.’ are overly long.

I’ve mentioned before, on this site, that Dylan could have really done with an editor.

He could, also, have done with someone to “turn down” the harmonica on both the ‘Highway 61 Revisited’ and ‘Blonde on Blonde’ albums.
    I've had that album for over thirty years and have only listened to Joey once, the day I got it, brutal fcukin song.

Hurricane is great as a tune but I don't agree with the sentiment of it.
    Carter may not have pulled the trigger but he was definitely involved in what were racially motivated murders.

Saoirse rhymes with inertia :rolleyes:

What ms Ronan told some American talkshow host when trying to explain how to pronounce her name; as it would be unfamiliar to yanks.

As an Irishman I find her incorrect opinion on how to pronounce her own proper Irish name unpopular to me.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7,466 ✭✭✭blinding

Middlin Alright.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,505 ✭✭✭✭Mad_maxx

She comes across as an odd character

cms88 wrote: »
    Just because you have kids doesn't mean the world revolves around you

True. Very True. But at the same time I notice that it is only since I have had children that people care what I think/do. As in random people who do not actually know me who suddenly believe my having children means they as strangers are now a legitimate part of my world.

Often it is little old women who feel the need to tell me I am playing with my kids the wrong way in the park like the one who told me I have to act mature during play to represent adulthood properly or something - or they think my kids are not dressed warmly enough in the winter and I need to be told what a hat is - or why am I letting my child eat that - or some other entirely uninvited minutia about my parenting

Online and sometimes offline I have had people freak out at me that I do not do Santa or Tooth Fairies or anything like that with my kids. Or that my kids know the basics about things like sex and drugs by age 6. Like when someone asked me when I plan to have "the talk" with my kids someday and I said "Oh they know most of that stuff since they were 6" and they completely freaked out at me.

Or that my daughter who is not yet 10 knows how to load aim and fire a rifle. Or that I hunt and kill rabbit and fish with my kids and they know how to handle their own meat. Usually the word such people shout at me - without seeming to know what it actually means - is "innocence". I think there is a small vocal group of people who think that while we should be protecting the innocence of our children - they seem to think "innocence" and "ignorance" mean the same thing.

I do not know if these qualify as "unpopular opinions" for the thread because I do not really go around expressing them as opinions generally. Just occasionally mention them as things I have done - without appending value judgements or recommendations that anyone else do the same - and people react. So is that an opinion really? I am not sure.

But people love to tell me their opinions about what I do or do not do - and I am happy to have that conversation if they start one. But while I absolutely agree that kids do not make the world revolve around you - there are a few other parents or childless people who appear not yet to have received that memo.

That is my vent for the day :) Quite the cathartic thread isn't it?

• Registered Users Posts: 211 ✭✭ShimSlady

retalivity wrote: »
    Desire is Bob Dylan's best album

Isis is my favourite Dylan song and Desire my favourite album

• Registered Users Posts: 137 ✭✭SporadicMan

The average poor Irish person is far worse off than a poor non-EU immigrant in Ireland.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 33,158 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

I forecast that she'll fade into obscurity as she enters her 30s.

Not a chance while the Late Late Show is still on the air.....she is their darling.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,653 ✭✭✭KiKi III

True. Very True. But at the same time I notice that it is only since I have had children that people care what I think/do. As in random people who do not actually know me who suddenly believe my having children means they as strangers are now a legitimate part of my world.

Often it is little old women who feel the need to tell me I am playing with my kids the wrong way in the park like the one who told me I have to act mature during play to represent adulthood properly or something - or they think my kids are not dressed warmly enough in the winter and I need to be told what a hat is - or why am I letting my child eat that - or some other entirely uninvited minutia about my parenting

Online and sometimes offline I have had people freak out at me that I do not do Santa or Tooth Fairies or anything like that with my kids. Or that my kids know the basics about things like sex and drugs by age 6. Like when someone asked me when I plan to have "the talk" with my kids someday and I said "Oh they know most of that stuff since they were 6" and they completely freaked out at me.

Or that my daughter who is not yet 10 knows how to load aim and fire a rifle. Or that I hunt and kill rabbit and fish with my kids and they know how to handle their own meat. Usually the word such people shout at me - without seeming to know what it actually means - is "innocence". I think there is a small vocal group of people who think that while we should be protecting the innocence of our children - they seem to think "innocence" and "ignorance" mean the same thing.

I do not know if these qualify as "unpopular opinions" for the thread because I do not really go around expressing them as opinions generally. Just occasionally mention them as things I have done - without appending value judgements or recommendations that anyone else do the same - and people react. So is that an opinion really? I am not sure.

But people love to tell me their opinions about what I do or do not do - and I am happy to have that conversation if they start one. But while I absolutely agree that kids do not make the world revolve around you - there are a few other parents or childless people who appear not yet to have received that memo.

That is my vent for the day :) Quite the cathartic thread isn't it?

I was with you up until the gun...

Men won’t buy the cow if they’re getting the milk for free.

I don’t like that it’s true but I believe it is.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7,466 ✭✭✭blinding

KiKi III wrote: »
    Men won’t buy the cow if they’re getting the milk for free.

I don’t like that it’s true but I believe it is.
    Sure the Women are C.ocking as much as they like these days. Tis easy for a woman to get C.ock !

blinding wrote: »
    Sure the Women are C.ocking as much as they like these days. Tis easy for a woman to get C.ock !

Yup that’s true. But it wasn’t getting laid I was talking about, it’s getting men to commit.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,254 ✭✭✭LiquidZeb

I tend to not look at it or avoid it , mainly as i am a big animal lover, always kept dogs etc,

In fact I find human suffering easier to take as i think humans as the so called most intelligent species are in a lot of case vile corrupt and horrible.

I prefer my dogs to any human on the planet outside my family.
    If my dog was drowning along with women and children and the lifeboat only had room for one more, my dog is getting the spot....no question

If that's the case I don't think you can afford to call anyone else vile tbh.

I was with you up until the gun...

I suppose then if I hold an "unpopular opinion" as per the requirements of the thread it is that I am not as terrified of the whole subject of guns as many people are who have gone off at me in the past - not referring to present company.

Though I think I am somewhere near - but not at - the centre of the two extremes that normally rise in any conversation about them. I am not "pro" or "anti" entirely - but someone who sees a lot of nuance between how a country like the US - and country like Ireland - and a country like Germany treat and control them.

I realise my privilege on that one too though. I happen to be really good friends with someone who legally owns and trains people in their use. So I get to use them in a well controlled and safe context through him on the side. They would not be something I would be dabbling with much on my own if I did not happen to have access to something like that. Let alone having a great time taking my daughter along to learn about them too.

It is amazing how the training takes hold of a child though like muscle memory. Like safety training. She won't even put a NERF gun down now without making sure it's "safe" (any safeties are engaged - nothing in the chamber - cartridge disengaged - weapon placed on level surface - surface is above the height a toddler/crawler can reach).

• Registered Users Posts: 8,207 ✭✭✭partyguinness

I prefer my dogs to any human on the planet outside my family.
    If my dog was drowning along with women and children and the lifeboat only had room for one more, my dog is getting the spot....no question

Right. So you would sit back and watch a helpless child drown in front of your eyes so you could save a mongrel?

No you would not that's just big brave talk from behind a keyboard.

I have said it before but obsessive dog (and cat) lovers (usually bitter singletons) are anti-social weirdos. I know a few. I am guessing you are not a parent and with that attitude safe to say you never will be with such an abhorrant outlook. Your parents not hug you enough?

I genuinely feel nothing but pity for you and hope that you are never in that situation to choose between a dog and a drowning child.

I suppose then if I hold an "unpopular opinion" as per the requirements of the thread it is that I am not as terrified of the whole subject of guns as many people are who have gone off at me in the past - not referring to present company.

Though I think I am somewhere near - but not at - the centre of the two extremes that normally rise in any conversation about them. I am not "pro" or "anti" entirely - but someone who sees a lot of nuance between how a country like the US - and country like Ireland - and a country like Germany treat and control them.

I realise my privilege on that one too though. I happen to be really good friends with someone who legally owns and trains people in their use. So I get to use them in a well controlled and safe context through him on the side. They would not be something I would be dabbling with much on my own if I did not happen to have access to something like that. Let alone having a great time taking my daughter along to learn about them too.

It is amazing how the training takes hold of a child though like muscle memory. Like safety training. She won't even put a NERF gun down now without making sure it's "safe" (any safeties are engaged - nothing in the chamber - cartridge disengaged - weapon placed on level surface - surface is above the height a toddler/crawler can reach).

You seem to have a well thought through opinion on the matter. I’d still hold the opinion that 9 is far too young to be introduced to a lethal weapon of any kind. I just don’t think there’s any need for it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,474 ✭✭✭Obvious Desperate Breakfasts

Her looks are pretty normal. She's not a bombshell so she doesn't tick that particular box. She's also not distinctive looking in a weird way. She's just a pleasant looking woman. So I'm surprised to hear someone say that they think how she looks is what got her where she is. Helena Bonham Carter is far more distinctive in appearance.

What ms Ronan told some American talkshow host when trying to explain how to pronounce her name; as it would be unfamiliar to yanks.

As an Irishman I find her incorrect opinion on how to pronounce her own proper Irish name unpopular to me.

Sursha and Seersha are both acceptable pronunciations.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,135 ✭✭✭Better Than Christ

Just out of interest, how do you pronounce Portlaoise? Or Dún Laoghaire?

That video of her at 13 shows that her accent was the same. She's just being less animated. Her accent has never sounded fake to me anyway. I honestly think people are just annoyed that that's her accent because they don't like it and think one of our most famous people should speak "better".

• Registered Users Posts: 11,758 ✭✭✭✭BattleCorp

You seem to have a well thought through opinion on the matter. I’d still hold the opinion that 9 is far too young to be introduced to a lethal weapon of any kind. I just don’t think there’s any need for it.

If it is done right, then there is no problem. I first shot a gun when I was 5, under my Dad's very careful supervision. He held the gun, I pulled the trigger. He taught me to respect the firearm and how to use it safely, to be sure what my backstop was etc. and that has stood with me throughout my life.

I continue to shoot to this day, taking part in competitions, both National and International. I also volunteer as a range safety officer in my club to try and pass on my knowledge and help others.

I doubt Michael Schumacher or other famous drivers waited until they were 16 or 18 to start their sport. Why should it be any different for a shooter? You need to start early to get to the top of your sport.

Her looks are pretty normal. She's not a bombshell so she doesn't tick that particular box. She's also not distinctive looking in a weird way. She's just a pleasant looking woman. So I'm surprised to hear someone say that they think how she looks is what got her where she is. Helena Bonham Carter is far more distinctive in appearance.

Sursha and Seersha are both acceptable pronunciations.

I take your point there even though I disagree.

I guess the only way to get consensus on the matter is to find 100 Irish females with the name Saoirse (with that exact spelling) and ask them.
    I reckon the "Seersha" sounding one would be the majority preference; at least 75% I would think.

So I agree with you in that S. Ronan can pronounce her name Sursha if she wants. It's not how I pronounce it though and it annoyed me for that reason.

Just out of interest, how do you pronounce Portlaoise? Or Dún Laoghaire?

The correct way for the town in Co Laois: Port-Leesh (same as most Irish people)
    and
    My Irish is very poor so probably incorrectly for the Dublin town/village.

But what has port-leesh or port-leesha got to do with Seer-sha?

I could ask you how do you pronounce Dave or And or Pronounce or Rainbow. I presume you would get the pronunciation correct

• Registered Users Posts: 11,094 ✭✭✭✭castletownman

The correct way for the town in Co Laois: Port-Leesh (same as most Irish people)
    and
    My Irish is very poor so probably incorrectly for the Dublin town/village.

But what has port-leesh or port-leesha got to do with Seer-sha?

I could ask you how do you pronounce Dave or And or Pronounce or Rainbow. I presume you would get the pronunciation correct

The only true test is how you pronounce "scone"

BattleCorp wrote: »
    If it is done right, then there is no problem. I first shot a gun when I was 5, under my Dad's very careful supervision. He held the gun, I pulled the trigger. He taught me to respect the firearm and how to use it safely, to be sure what my backstop was etc. and that has stood with me throughout my life.

I continue to shoot to this day, taking part in competitions, both National and International. I also volunteer as a range safety officer in my club to try and pass on my knowledge and help others.

I doubt Michael Schumacher or other famous drivers waited until they were 16 or 18 to start their sport. Why should it be any different for a shooter? You need to start early to get to the top of your sport.

Because a gun is a lethal weapon. A car, while it can be dangerous, is not designed to kill. And I find it highly unlikely that either of the Schumachers were driving at 5. Five year olds do not have the mental capacity to understand gun safety. They do not understand life and death.

Most five year olds can’t go a day without spilling food or drink on themselves, never mind anything else.

The fact that it ended alright for you does not make it a good idea.

I take your point there even though I disagree.

I guess the only way to get consensus on the matter is to find 100 Irish females with the name Saoirse (with that exact spelling) and ask them.
    I reckon the "Seersha" sounding one would be the majority preference; at least 75% I would think.

So I agree with you in that S. Ronan can pronounce her name Sursha if she wants. It's not how I pronounce it though and it annoyed me for that reason.

In Dublin, it's mostly pronounced 'Sursha' whereas 'Seersha' seems predominant elsewhere.

In light of current events and moral outrage in general when people say: "it makes me physically sick"
    I, for one don't believe it does. If it does then it is an unpopular opinion.

When this plandemic is over and someone says this to me I'm a gonna ask them "So how is this 'physical sickness' manifested? I presume it's something other than projectile vomiting?"

Or maybe I won't. It's usually just crap said by people soapboxing or mentioned on Twitter etc....

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 443 ✭✭Hairy Japanese BASTARDS!

Much of the hardships and discrimination faced by members of the travelling community is because of their own actions.

Advertisement