Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Unpopular Opinions - OP Updated with Threadban List 4/5/21

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 18,240 ✭✭✭✭gormdubhgorm

Wanderer78 wrote: »
    What will it lead to?

Well not to derail the thread it will lead to designer babies.
    Just do an internet search on "iceland down syndrome abortion".
    Plus that is only the start of it it could be based on sex selection and so on.
    If the mother does not want a boy for example.

Guff about stuff, and stuff about guff.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,240 ✭✭✭✭gormdubhgorm

The point is, if women have no issue with something, why should a man have a issue with it.

For example, in Darts, there use to be walk on girls.
    Then some brainwashed men started complaining it was sexist, and soon the pc brigade were all over it.
    I

Like a complete eejit, I read this as DART's as in trains.
    I was wondering how I never saw them or heard of them.
    Then I was wondering what job did they do exactly?
    On the DART's as it only needs a train driver to drive it.
    Keep the carriages clean? :confused:

Then I realised it was not the train you were referring to... :o

Guff about stuff, and stuff about guff.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,576 ✭✭✭Paddy Cow

Surprisingly as a nation of sport lovers we are desperate in terms of success in various sports at international level, soccer rugby etc we rarely produce skillful players, I’m not sure why
    Not being funny but that would obviously be down to population size. Countries with a larger population are going to have a bigger pool of people to draw from and they will also have much better facilities. There are cities with larger populations than our entire country who offer opportunities to kids that we simply cannot provide.
    maybe it’s because we are innately conservative and that impacts on the teams we produce, coached out of kids etc, we are stale and boring to watch, or maybe it’s not in our blood to be creative in sport, we are essentially workmanlike in our sporting endeavors.
    I don't know how to politely say that's a load of sh!te so I'm not even going to try. If you compare Ireland to one of the big countries like the US, you'll understand why US sports people fair better than Irish. As well as there being more of them, they have a culture of nurturing capitalising sport from a young age. It's big business over there and people can get scholarships to universities they otherwise wouldn't be able to attend. We don't have that culture here because we simply don't have the facilities or money.
    Gaa doesn’t come into this opinion as basically we are playing ourselves and it has no international dimension to it.
    It is relevant though. This is reflected in why Dublin are hammering everyone in GAA. Bigger selection + more money invested = better results.

I wouldn't be a massive sports fan but I'm always impressed when an Irish person makes an impact on an international level because it is impressive. We will always be the underdogs and to do well at such a high level is worthy of mention. I think your opinion of Irish athletics is grossly unfair (that's the politest way I could put it without getting banned). Irish athletes train and do their very best, knowing they are starting with a huge disadvantage but they are just as hungry for success as anyone else. To suggest that they don't have it in their blood is very disrespectful to their years of dedication.

To have such a poor understanding of all this, I really hope you are young and still learning that life isn't fair and the biggest indicator of your success in life will be the socio-economic background/country you are born into.

• Registered Users Posts: 179 ✭✭Bigboldworld

Paddy Cow wrote: »
    Not being funny but that would obviously be down to population size. Countries with a larger population are going to have a bigger pool of people to draw from and they will also have much better facilities. There are cities with larger populations than our entire country who offer opportunities to kids that we simply cannot provide.

I don't know how to politely say that's a load of sh!te so I'm not even going to try. If you compare Ireland to one of the big countries like the US, you'll understand why US sports people fair better than Irish. As well as there being more of them, they have a culture of nurturing capitalising sport from a young age. It's big business over there and people can get scholarships to universities they otherwise wouldn't be able to attend. We don't have that culture here because we simply don't have the facilities or money.

It is relevant though. This is reflected in why Dublin are hammering everyone in GAA. Bigger selection + more money invested = better results.

I wouldn't be a massive sports fan but I'm always impressed when an Irish person makes an impact on an international level because it is impressive. We will always be the underdogs and to do well at such a high level is worthy of mention. I think your opinion of Irish athletics is grossly unfair (that's the politest way I could put it without getting banned). Irish athletes train and do their very best, knowing they are starting with a huge disadvantage but they are just as hungry for success as anyone else. To suggest that they don't have it in their blood is very disrespectful to their years of dedication.

To have such a poor understanding of all this, I really hope you are young and still learning that life isn't fair and the biggest indicator of your success in life will be the socio-economic background/country you are born into.

Ha, first off Paddy I’m probably older than you and this is an unpopular opinion board and that’s how I see it and just for the record New Zealand has a smaller population than Ireland yet they produce the best players on the planet it’s most definitely not to do with population size. I’m basically tired of the undertog tag ****e that we carry like a noose and would some day love to see us shake that tag and be favorites and most importantly be confident in the position of being favorites.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,576 ✭✭✭Paddy Cow

Ha, first off Paddy I’m probably older than you and this is an unpopular opinion board and that’s how I see it and just for the record New Zealand has a smaller population than Ireland yet they produce the best players on the planet it’s most definitely not to do with population size. I’m basically tired of the undertog tag ****e that we carry like a noose and would some day love to see us shake that tag and be favorites and most importantly be confident in the position of being favorites.

How many Olympic gold medals have the New Zealand team won?

• Advertisement

New Zealand have won 47 gold medals at the olympics, a lot more than we have Paddy. I’m not going down that rabbit hole with you and you’re clearly missing my point, my original point stands that we underachieve at an international level in sport, heart/passion/spirit etc gets you so far but skill/creativity gets you over the line, I long for the day when particularly in rugby/soccer our national teams have the combination of both.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,505 ✭✭✭✭Mad_maxx

About eight times the number we have down the years

Numerous smaller and poorer countries than Ireland have far more Olympic medals, our Olympic haul is abysmal

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,404 ✭✭✭Justin Credible Darts

Like a complete eejit, I read this as DART's as in trains.
    I was wondering how I never saw them or heard of them.
    Then I was wondering what job did they do exactly?
    On the DART's as it only needs a train driver to drive it.
    Keep the carriages clean? :confused:

Then I realised it was not the train you were referring to... :o

:D

• Registered Users Posts: 15,756 ✭✭✭✭whisky_galore

blinding wrote: »
    The Prince’s and Princess’s of Brussels have replaced the Princes’s of Rome and Britain In Ireland .

At least they don't repress, kill or bugger us.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7,466 ✭✭✭blinding

At least they don't repress, kill or bugger us.
    Not yet .

• Advertisement

Not yet .

That's very likely.....Yeah.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7,466 ✭✭✭blinding

That's very likely.....Yeah.
    Give humans too much power and they will start abusing you . It has happened throughout history .

Give humans too much power and they will start abusing you . It has happened throughout history .

Ok, whatever you think yourself.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,570 ✭✭✭vriesmays

Mad_maxx wrote: »

Numerous smaller and poorer countries than Ireland have far more Olympic medals, our Olympic haul is abysmal

Blame the GAA.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,653 ✭✭✭✭Plumbthedepths

Only the first 3 home in a marathon should get a medal.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,761 ✭✭✭Donnielighto

I think there should be a single world government with a universal minimum tax rate, small but there. If there are opportunities for tax arbitrage companies will take it, level playing field should help competitiveness.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,483 ✭✭✭mr_fegelien

I think society has an unfair double standard with illnesses and assisted suicide. People with terminal illnesses are allowed to end it (which I fully support) but if that's the case, then the same should be done for those with mental illnesses.

• Registered Users Posts: 34,044 ✭✭✭✭The_Kew_Tour

Mad_maxx wrote: »

Its actually not funny enough compared to many countries

• Registered Users Posts: 3,494 ✭✭✭Montage of Feck

vriesmays wrote: »
    Blame the GAA.

The GAA season is ridiculous long, doesn't allow much time for anything else.

🙈🙉🙊

• Registered Users Posts: 3,722 ✭✭✭Greyfox

Only the first 3 home in a marathon should get a medal.

I think everyone who completes a Marathon should get a medal even if it takes you 8 hours

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 12,653 ✭✭✭✭Plumbthedepths

Greyfox wrote: »
    I think everyone who completes a Marathon should get a medal even if it takes you 8 hours

You're in luck so , as they already do. ;-)

• Registered Users Posts: 10,117 ✭✭✭✭Junkyard Tom

Being half-clever is worse than being stupid because thinking you're smart leads to anti-vaxers and alt-right shit heads.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,722 ✭✭✭Greyfox

You're in luck so , as they already do. ;-)
    Thanks, didnt know that :o

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,474 ✭✭✭Obvious Desperate Breakfasts

Rodin wrote: »
    Most fat people are not on steroids.
    They eat too much.
    They don't move enough

Are all these obese children on the roids?
    There are always outliers but our excessive consumption and laziness when it comes to physical activity is a ticking timebomb.

Yuppers. But you said there are only two reasons for obesity, one cause apparently being the rather nebulous “mental problems”. That is objectively not true and it’s not a matter of opinion. You said nothing on the ratios of people for each cause, you simply said there was only two causes. That’s not an unpopular opinion as much as an uneducated one.

Placeholder for some fat member to claim it is not their fault.
    something about genes or big boned or other nonsense.

Anyone ever see a fat skeleton ?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,957 ✭✭✭Dick phelan

Irish people blame the church too much for the stuff that happened in the past, the truth is the people themselves let the church get that much power, People act like they had no idea that industrial schools where terrible places, Magdaline Laundries ect. Not to excuse the church for their actions but the point being Irish people like to pretend that the older generation played no part in the stuff that went on, they where willing participants,

the Church doesn't make you kick your daughter out of the home because she got pregnant, that's on you. Tbh the church did some terrible things but that was only because that was what most people desired, if the population hadn't believed in such nonsense it wouldn't have happened.

People who commit particularly violent crimes should be given automatic life sentences, as in they rot in prison until they die, it should be of no concern to society to have to worry about their rehabilitation, they are no longer of any use to society only a threat therefore they should be locked in a cage for the rest of their life, nobody would shed a tear perhaps only their family but that’s not anybody else's problem. I would like to see more justice for victims of violent crime.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,293 ✭✭✭pinkyeye

I don’t hate Boris Johnson, I think he’s portrayed as a buffoon in the media and it’s one of those things that everyone says by default ‘’he’s a right gob****e isn’t he etc, I actually think he’s done a good job to get a deal agreed in the midst of the chaos and hope they pass the deal

I think you might regret this post in a weeks time. :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 56 ✭✭kiki_the_third

Dublin is generally a lovely city to live in. Of course it has problems - homelessness in particular - but that impacts a small percentage and shouldn't be used to paint the entire city as awful. The city centre is very walkable, there's lots of live music and comedy every night of the week, plenty of history and culture. Generally speaking, it's a great place.

• Advertisement

Dublin is generally a lovely city to live in. Of course it has problems - homelessness in particular - but that impacts a small percentage and shouldn't be used to paint the entire city as awful. The city centre is very walkable, there's lots of live music and comedy every night of the week, plenty of history and culture. Generally speaking, it's a great place.

Yep...that sure is an unpopular opinion :D

Advertisement