Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Unpopular Opinions - OP Updated with Threadban List 4/5/21

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,576 ✭✭✭Paddy Cow

doughef wrote: »
    I despise Irish rugby and hope the all blacks hammer them on Saturday ...

Seems you can’t say anything negative about rugby these days.

Everyone’s a ‘fan’ ... but most people haven’t a notion of the rules .

‘Ireland’s call’ is a disgrace ...
    And it seems you only have to fly over Irish air space to be eligible to play !

As an aside (bonus points for extra unpopular opinions)., hurricanes in japan and people have died .., but their national team still plays ?

Absolute disgrace
    I heard the guy who wrote it on the radio today and he said that he knows it's a sh!t song you can't force on people and even now he gets hate mail over it!

• Registered Users Posts: 734 ✭✭✭doughef

I just feel rugger exists in a bubble of its on self importance...if you don’t like it, your not in the ‘clique’

A lot of my colleagues are north siders / working class . Whatever

They were trying to attempt to have an interest in it today.
    Can you imagine them showing up at a leinster match in Donnybrook ??

This all inclusive stuff?? pure shi**

Small pockets of private schools and D4 wannabes (excluding Munster where it does appear to be a game for everyone?)

I read today they had a solicitor flown over to represent one of the (non) Irish team?

Such self entitled wan***s

So yeah .. the rugger team don’t represent me at all .
    Number 1 in the world before the WC ??
    Is that correct ?

Surely that preposterous??

Oh ..and even the term ‘world cup’
    Probably 2 teams ever capable of winning it

• Registered Users Posts: 20,010 ✭✭✭✭El_Duderino 09

I love rugby. I admire the players. The dedication to their craft, the pursuit of excellence. The teams I support lose sometimes and I feel sorry for them but I'm never pissed off at them because I know they try their best every time. There's nowhere for a shirker to hide on the rugby pitch and if they didn't try their best, they wouldn't be picked. Delighted for them when they win.

It's sport. It's not real life. It's a sign of a really bitter soul when they begrudge other people having a bit of fun.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,398 ✭✭✭Franz Von Peppercorn II

I despise the GAA mentality as well, and got banned on another site for saying that.

Freedom of Speech....it dont really exist, as someone will complain and you will be warned or banned at some point.

You seem like a lad who despises stuff you don’t like. You can’t just not like it, you have to hate it.

I mean I have little interest in soccerball but I won’t say I hate it.

As for free speech you don’t have that on this website, or indeed in Ireland.

I just feel rugger exists in a bubble of its on self importance...if you don’t like it, your not in the ‘clique’

A lot of my colleagues are north siders / working class . Whatever

They were trying to attempt to have an interest in it today.

Now that's an exhibition of self pity.

Do you know what would happen if your north side mates went to a match? Nothing. Absolutely nothing would change. They would go, have their own craic, have the chats and the banter with opposition fans. End of story. But what would you expect? A marching band to welcome the northsiders? Lol. Get a grip.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,293 ✭✭✭pinkyeye

You seem like a lad who despises stuff you don’t like. You can’t just not like it, you have to hate it.

I mean I have little interest in soccerball but I won’t say I hate it.

As for free speech you don’t have that on this website, or indeed in Ireland.

What the hell is soccerball?? :D:D:D:D

I read today they had a solicitor flown over to represent one of the (non) Irish team?

Well that’s because he needed legal representation.

pinkyeye wrote: »
    What the hell is soccerball?? :D:D:D:D

It’s the shorthand for association football.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,293 ✭✭✭pinkyeye

It’s the shorthand for association football.

Still don't know what that means. :confused:

pinkyeye wrote: »
    Still don't know what that means. :confused:

I can’t help you much more than I have. The round ball game. No using hands, except goalkeepers. 11 players. Racist fans.

That one.

• Advertisement

Now that's an exhibition of self pity.

Do you know what would happen if your north side mates went to a match? Nothing. Absolutely nothing would change. They would go, have their own craic, have the chats and the banter with opposition fans. End of story. But what would you expect? A marching band to welcome the northsiders? Lol. Gets grip.

Self pity ?? I couldn’t give a Fu**
    I’m neither working class or a north sider.

I hate the whole set up .. can’t wait until the Irish team are hammered by NZ and we don’t have to listen to anymore of this shi**

Well that’s because he needed legal representation.

He did a great job too 😂😂😂😂

Self pity ?? I couldn’t give a Fu**
    I’m neither working class or a north sider.

I hate the whole set up .. can’t wait until the Irish team are hammered by NZ and we don’t have to listen to anymore of this shi**

Oh yes. Self pity about not being part of the perceived clique.

Not to worry. The domestic season has kicked off so if you hang around until the end of May the season will be over- for a month until the summer tour and the it’ll be over- for a month until the season starts again. Great time for people who don’t get upset about rugby. 😜

Oh yes. Self pity about not being part of the perceived clique.

Not to worry. The domestic season has kicked off so if you hang around until the end of May the season will be over- for a month until the summer tour and the it’ll be over- for a month until the season starts again. Great time for people who don’t get upset about rugby. 😜

Tour though ???
    Same teams playing each other with predictable results ?

It will be interesting to see the viewing figures for the first few games .. granted NZ will boost figures., but I’d wager less than 100k for the first match ?

Tour though ???

It will be interesting to see the viewing figures for the first few games .. granted NZ will boost figures., but I’d wager less than 100k for the first match ?

And I'll be having a good time while you're being cross and looking for problems.

• Registered Users Posts: 673 ✭✭✭Sharp MZ700

Imagine being from a country where they argue over which is their national anthem. To accommodate a sport? Some joke.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,130 ✭✭✭Rodin

“All nonsense”? Okay, Dr. Nick. :D

I said that most people are overweight and obese because they eat too much. Try and read posts properly before mashing the keyboard.

I merely questioned your faulty thinking that there are only two reasons for being overweight or obese. That is demonstrably not true. Even if the examples I gave were rare, they still exist and are really reasons. Being rare doesn’t invalidate them.

Just to clarify, to take one of my examples - are you saying that certain prescribed steroids don’t act as massive appetite stimulants for most people who take them? One type I was on, I was unusual in not getting that side effect. Are you saying that you know more than doctors and researchers when it comes to this drug? Another type of prescribed steroid causes Cushing syndrome. I started to get the beginnings of this whilst being on steroids. Luckily, I wasn’t on them for too long and its development was halted and reversed. I was on a calorie-controlled liquid diet at the same time as treatment for the same illness as the steroids were prescribed for. So I know for a fact that I wasn’t overeating at the time. The steroids caused the bizarre fat deposits I briefly experienced. Some people are on those long-term. Mine and their experiences are “nonsense”?

What an unbelievably arrogant stance to take that you think your opinion trumps science and observation. I mean, hold your uneducated viewpoint but don’t be throwing around the word ‘nonsense’ when your knowledge of the topic is so severely lacking. Thank fuck opinions don’t have to be respected.

Oh, and let’s drop the facade of voicing concern for the strain on the health service. I bet thin folks with unhealthy lifestyles don’t bother you at all. You don’t like fat people. That’s all it is.

Most fat people are not on steroids.
    They eat too much.
    They don't move enough

Are all these obese children on the roids?
    There are always outliers but our excessive consumption and laziness when it comes to physical activity is a ticking timebomb.

Tour though ???

It’s not on RTE but in fact international rugby games are amongst the most popular programs on television.

https://www.irishtimes.com/business/media-and-marketing/most-watched-tv-programmes-of-2018-revealed-1.3753641?mode=amp

From 2018:

Figures from industry body TAM Ireland and research firm Nielsen show that sporting fixtures accounted for half of the top 20 programmes on Irish television, down from 11 last year, with Ireland’s Six Nations clash against England on TV3, now known as Virgin Media One, coming second.

So in 2018 the rugby was second only to the Toy show, and ahead of all free to air football games, and all Gaelic games too, including All Irelands. And everything else.

Imagine being from a country where they argue over which is their national anthem. To accommodate a sport? Some joke.

The rugby team doesn’t represent a country but the island. And it is clear which one is the national anthem.

• Registered Users Posts: 322 ✭✭Midster

There are racist jokes that are funny to those that are of different color skin.

There are disabled jokes funny to those who are disabled.

There are sexist jokes that are funny to feminists.

There are moments when it’s right to smack a child.

There are situations were turning to crime is the right thing to do.

There are times when speeding is ok.

A human being who has had sex change surgery is still the same sex they were born as.

There is no such thing and being gender fluid (it’s called being bisexual)

• Advertisement

And I'll be having a good time while you're being cross and looking for problems.

Eh ... are you playing ?? Is it all about you? 😂😎

Enjoy anyway

It’s not on RTE but in fact international rugby games are amongst the most popular programs on television.

https://www.irishtimes.com/business/media-and-marketing/most-watched-tv-programmes-of-2018-revealed-1.3753641?mode=amp

From 2018:

Figures from industry body TAM Ireland and research firm Nielsen show that sporting fixtures accounted for half of the top 20 programmes on Irish television, down from 11 last year, with Ireland’s Six Nations clash against England on TV3, now known as Virgin Media One, coming second.

So in 2018 the rugby was second only to the Toy show, and ahead of all free to air football games, and all Gaelic games too, including All Irelands. And everything else.

On TV3 only though ?? 😂😂😂

The rugby team doesn’t represent a country but the island. And it is clear which one is the national anthem.

I wouldn't call it the irish rugby team either.

• Registered Users Posts: 862 ✭✭✭Sean.3516

My most unpopular opinions:

1. I believe anti-discrimination laws with regard to private businesses and institutions shouldn’t exist since they infringe on basic freedom of association principles. If you run a private business and you wish to discriminate on any grounds, I believe that’s your prerogative.

(I’m not saying it’s morally right or acceptable for people to discriminate based on certain immutable characteristics such as race etc. if they do they’re evil and should be boycotted out of existence by other private individuals. I’m saying the arm of government shouldn’t be used against them.)

2. I don’t believe it’s homophobic to believe that homosexual activity is sinful. The issue is with the activity, not the human being.

No it isn’t

It’s a disgrace

What are you imagining would happen?

On TV3 only though ?? 😂😂😂

Did you read the article. Irish television in total. All of it.

And the fact that it was on TV3 reduced the potential reach, if anything.

It’s the Ireland rugby team.

Anyway clearly a very popular sport.

It’s the Ireland rugby team.

Anyway clearly a very popular sport.

Follow the posse.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,404 ✭✭✭Justin Credible Darts

can’t wait until the Irish team are hammered by NZ and we don’t have to listen to anymore of this shi**

thats 2 of us on here at least.

Advertisement