Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Unpopular Opinions - OP Updated with Threadban List 4/5/21

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,179 ✭✭✭✭B.A._Baracus

People are overrated and annoy me enormously.

At the risk of sounding like an anti-social jerk (I'm not lol)
    .... your average person on this planet is a as*hole. Self-absorbed, self-obsessed, self-interested and self-everything.
    All anyone can do in life is try to create a little circle for themselves - family, partner, kids and maybe a couple of really close genuine friends. The rest can get lost.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,202 ✭✭✭sprucemoose

Unpopular Opinion- I support Nphet and think we should be cautious and do what they are saying re the easing of lockdown!

have to agree completely

• Registered Users Posts: 5,833 ✭✭✭Cordell

Unpopular Opinion- I support Nphet and think we should be cautious and do what they are saying re the easing of lockdown!

I do support them as well, in their role as a non executive government advisory body - their current responsibility is the health emergency caused by the pandemic and they should only be concerned about that and nothing else. Them and HSE in general did a stellar job in managing this pandemic, especially with the vaccine rollout and they should be commended for it.
    However, I don't support the government in following NPHET advice to the letter. We had enough, it's time to open up fully, most elderly, vulnerable and front line health workers are vaccinated, we need to get back to normal. The real normal, not this new one :)

• Registered Users Posts: 13,832 ✭✭✭✭Potential-Monke

The "old" normal is dead to me

• Registered Users Posts: 20,552 ✭✭✭✭yourdeadwright

Nphet is not the problem

There job is to tell the government the best way to save as many lives as they can and they are doing that ,

It's the Governments job to take there advice and balance it with economical issues and social problems that taking the safest actions will cause the public .

The Government are gutless and passing the book and blaming Nphet

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,011 ✭✭✭joseywhales

Re: gay pride.
    I think its a load of bollocks. Like, is most of it just
    virtue signalling?

Its 2021 and I like to think I am a modern man. I don't care if someone is gay, bi, trans etc. I don't care. But, for one example, so many companies are jumping on the band wagon I find. Even in my job we had some guest speaker for a meeting and I couldn't care. Most people didn't log in to it. I did briefly and I was like screw this.

To be honest, isn't this whole pride thing contradictory?
    Life is a rat race. Its dog eat dog. We're all out for ourselves. Your average person would stab you in the back if thought they would get something out of it. Yet pride? Yaaaaaaay! .... Its mad lol.

But... sadly imo saying anything but "I love pride!" In the more recent world seems to warrant harsh replies so I fully expect that.
    Probably the main reason I left my last job was having to sit through charity drives and pontificating speeches by our ceo, that would interrupt our day. And constant self adulating mentions of our company culture. I couldn't stand it anymore, it was like brainwashing. I work and you pay me, now STFU this is not a cult!

• Registered Users Posts: 20,929 ✭✭✭✭Ash.J.Williams

85603 wrote: »
    Its not just 'men in leather' though is it.

And yeah, they'll want to know why that man has a rubber gimp mask and is on a leash.

Its un-necessary. Just be dignified about it. Wave a flag. Wear a colored sombrero. party horn, glitter etc etc all that good bs. balloons. funny glasses. whatever.

There you go. You're out and proud. No ass cheeks necessary.

Jeasys Christ I’m ok with gimps and ball gags, but I draw the line at party horns whatever they are

• Registered Users Posts: 1,184 ✭✭✭85603

Jeasys Christ I’m ok with gimps and ball gags, but I draw the line at party horns whatever they are

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Party_horn

• Registered Users Posts: 81,843 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 15,228 Mod ✭✭✭✭FutureGuy

Unpopular opinion:

There is a strong correlation between the tendency to be an anti-vaxxer and the number of fadas in your full name.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,308 ✭✭✭✭ednwireland

unpopular opinion:

i dont care about the boards upgrade works fine for me

• Registered Users Posts: 54,686 ✭✭✭✭walshb

Rowers got gold today

Donovan lad: Quit acting the maggot and goofball all the time during interviews

It doesn't come across well.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,753 ✭✭✭✭beakerjoe

Id rather that than the cookie cutter interviews the majority of sports people make.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,824 ✭✭✭✭whisky_galore

and your attitude to personal hygiene in general..

• Registered Users Posts: 7,719 ✭✭✭growleaves

Big unacknowledged problem with scapegoating this country. In the recent past it was usually politically correct nontroversies centred around a single person, rotating from person to person each week or month. More recently in the last 1-2 years it is groups of people who are deemed 'responsible' (proof?) for spreading infection.

This problem will not go away until the mob admit that scapegoating is wrong and stop engaging in it.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 12,616 Mod ✭✭✭✭JupiterKid

Parents and relatives who wantonly abuse and neglect their own children, to the point where the children’s health and indeed their lives are in danger, should be jailed for at least 15 years, be never allowed to see their children again and be forcibly sterilised so they can never spawn again and repeat the cycle of cruelty and misery.

Reading up on that court case where a family abused and neglected their five children over a period of several years has made my blood boil. The family have not been named for “legal reasons”.

I wonder if it might be more to do with the distinct possibility that the family may be members of a “minority group” and the politically correct culture pervading the legal system?

Post edited by JupiterKid on

They haven't been named because they are still kids. The law prevents the kids being identified, and as a result the perpetrators can't be named. You're also being very nice about the sentence. I personally would love to carve a hole out of the side of the Cliffs of Moher, smooth out the rock for 5m all around the hole (so no climbing out and up) and leave them there to rot, ie: Sky Cell in Game of Thrones.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,640 ✭✭✭Jump_In_Jack

Just throw them off the cliff and save the expense

Nah, leave them to rot but set up a live webcam, charge €2 to view.

• Site Banned Posts: 12,341 ✭✭✭✭Faugheen

Another poster who knows f*ck all about the law in this country and instead goes on pointless tirades about minority groups and stupid wider conspiracies.

The victims in this case are children. Child victims of sexual assault can't be identified. Imagine what might happen if you name the perpetrators involved in this case? Perhaps that might identify the children? Considering they are family members, then that would identify the children.

Stop and think about these things before going off on baseless rants about political correctness and minority groups. The law around naming child victims of abuse has been in place for years and I don't believe for one minute you didn't know that.

If you actually didn't know that, maybe refrain from ranting and raving about something you know nothing about, yeah?

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 12,616 Mod ✭✭✭✭JupiterKid

Touched a raw nerve, did I, Faugheen?

I have a fairly good knowledge of the law in this country, thank you. I just don't believe that the penalties for child abuse and neglect are in any way harsh enough for the lives of the children that have been destroyed.

Tusla is a complete joke of an agency - as has been shown time and time again. I rarely post in this forum anyway for the very reason that it is populated by headcases and extremists looking to have a go at each other.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,004 ✭✭✭✭El_Duderino 09

You responded to the answer to your question by totall ignoring the children aspect and only focusing on your own desire for retribution against the adults.

My unpopular opinion is that I think this kind of thing happens a lot, particularly involving children. People pretend to be angry about paedophilia or other child abuse, but they just use it as a socially acceptable outlet for their own violent urges. The groups of right wing thugs like Stephen Yaxley Lennon (AKA Tommy Robinson) who target Muslims and then sets up a child abuse branch which, low and behold, only cares about Muslim paedophiles. Actually overlookd paedophiles in his own circles to target the very people he wanted to target all along. It has nothing to do with the children.

There's another group of thugs who call themselves something along the lines of Football supporters against child abuse. They are people who just want a fight and they use child abuse as a means to legitimise their blood lust. I don't believe they care a jot about child abuse or childten, they just use it to make their blood boil. Shameful.

Post edited by El_Duderino 09 on

• Site Banned Posts: 12,341 ✭✭✭✭Faugheen

You say you have a good knowledge of the law, yet you claimed there was some wild conspiracy about why the adults weren’t named?

You said it was to be politically correct and that it was probably a minority group. So you either don’t know the law or you are intentionally dog whistling. Which one is it?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,640 ✭✭✭Jump_In_Jack

Come again?

the poster jokingly said to set up an elaborate prison.

I merely jokingly said it would be a waste of money to spend on those people.

did you confuse my post with another poster?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,057 ✭✭✭✭castletownman

There is nothing more unattractive in a woman than someone who frequently curses in their lexicon. Even worse is a smoker.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,613 ✭✭✭Gamer Bhoy 89

I shouldn't have to be brutalised for using the wrong pronoun for someone who has transitioned, especially if it's someone I've known/been a fan of as the previous gender for years.

It takes someone years, sometimes decades to embrace who/what they feel they are underneath and begin their transition, so don't expect people like us to get used to it within an hour. **** right off with that.

• Registered Users Posts: 54,686 ✭✭✭✭walshb

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 20,892 Mod ✭✭✭✭Brian?

they/them/theirs

And so on, and so on …. - Slavoj Žižek

• Registered Users Posts: 20,004 ✭✭✭✭El_Duderino 09

An unpopular opinion I hold is that I'd like to hear what the INCELs* actually want. In light of the Plymouth murders being carried out by an INCEL, I'm curious to know if there is anything that can reasonably be done to accommodate them.

The ones who make the media seem like deeply unpleasant men, and I don't think I'd ever want to hang out with any of them (leaving aside the few extremists who carry out actual murders) , but I presume there are loads of relatively normal, pleasant men who are unable to form normal human connections and are unable to get a woman's affection and are just deeply unhappy.

And if there are changes we can make to accommodate those men, without causing distress to other people, then I'd suggest we consider doing it. I'd at least want to know what they actually want.

* INCEL stands for involuntary celibate and means blokes who are unable to ever get the ride or affection from women.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 533 ✭✭✭maik3n

Funnily enough, there is an old 2017 thread that sounds like what you are looking for

Mind you, is there some embargo on the Plymouth incident.

Putting aside the INCEL angle, it's a rather big story that one would have expected to show up in CA or after hours?

Advertisement