Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Unpopular Opinions - OP Updated with Threadban List 4/5/21

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,402 ✭✭✭McGinniesta

Taking the knee was a stupid idea to start with.

It is now wholly meaningless.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,184 ✭✭✭85603

Pride parades. Should conduct themselves in a more dignified manner. Just dress as normal, no need to dance around in your pants.
    Whats the point? Want to celebrate your identity? Want to say youre not ashamed?
    This can all be done, loudly and colorfully, without leather chaps.
    Maybe society would get on board more.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,552 ✭✭✭✭yourdeadwright

85603 wrote: »
    Pride parades. Should conduct themselves in a more dignified manner. Just dress as normal, no need to dance around in your pants.
    Whats the point? Want to celebrate your identity? Want to say youre not ashamed?

Ye but then everyone would treat them * (the dressing in nothing type) like everyone else and in reality that is actually the last thing they want,

• Registered Users Posts: 1,829 ✭✭✭randd1

The brother has the gay.

As he says himself, you're never going to gain respect as a gay man walking around in a miniskirt and high heels waving a rainbow flag while blowing an annoying whistle. There's other forums and easier ways to promote sexual equality, chief of them being the ability to just act normal and be yourself.

He also says LGBT groups take the parades way too seriously. If they marketed the parades as just a bit of a laugh for people to go nuts in and just have a ball and a day out regardless of sexuality, they'd be far more successful and supported.

He reckons these days the LGBT groups are way too serious, and this is borne out in the parades as if they're akin to the 1960's civil rights marches in the US, and have too much corporate influence. They're less a celebration and more a business statement. He still goes to the pride festivals, but avoids the parades and goes mostly for the laugh in the pubs afterwards when people have relaxed from the day.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,368 ✭✭✭JimmyVik

randd1 wrote: »
    The brother has the gay.

As he says himself, you're never going to gain respect as a gay man walking around in a miniskirt and high heels waving a rainbow flag while blowing an annoying whistle. There's other forums and easier ways to promote sexual equality, chief of them being the ability to just act normal and be yourself.

He also says LGBT groups take the parades way too seriously. If they marketed the parades as just a bit of a laugh for people to go nuts in and just have a ball and a day out regardless of sexuality, they'd be far more successful and supported.

He reckons these days the LGBT groups are way too serious, and this is borne out in the parades as if they're akin to the 1960's civil rights marches in the US, and have too much corporate influence. They're less a celebration and more a business statement. He still goes to the pride festivals, but avoids the parades and goes mostly for the laugh in the pubs afterwards when people have relaxed from the day.

My cousin feels exactly the same way.
    Says he often feels pressured from the groups to be more flamboyant and celebrate his gayness.
    He says he is happy being gay and being accepted as just another person without being labled. He doesnt need to please these groups by being what they want him to be.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,719 ✭✭✭growleaves

Taking the knee was a stupid idea to start with.

It is now wholly meaningless.

I found it very distasteful because George Floyd died of someone kneeling on his neck.

So how is it appropriate to show respect by 'taking the knee' (replicating the position of the man who killed him)?

I must be in a minority because I haven't seen anyone else interpret it this way but it seems kind of sick and disrespectful to me.

Also, English footballers should not be pressured to endorse a 'side' in contentious Yank race politics. Especially since BLM have all kinds of unrelated goals e.g. their own social policy.

• Registered Users Posts: 40,184 ✭✭✭✭ohnonotgmail

cms88 wrote: »
    I sometimes wonder are those people actually gay or is it just an attention seeking thing? I'm sure there are people who are gay like that as well but it's just something i've wondered.

GTFO.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 20,892 Mod ✭✭✭✭Brian?

Edgy.

they/them/theirs

And so on, and so on …. - Slavoj Žižek

Brian? wrote: »
    Edgy.

Unpopular opinions.

Unpopular opinions.

I know. You're full of edgy opinions.

they/them/theirs

• Advertisement

I know. You're full of edgy opinions.
    Edgy, unpopular.

Whats the difference?

• Registered Users Posts: 20,929 ✭✭✭✭Ash.J.Williams

Edgy.

Where’s my dance in your pants festival:)

• Registered Users Posts: 886 ✭✭✭nolivesmatter

Seems fair. To each his own ofcourse.

I can get on board with this:

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQ9l3IBYoGBTkP264sPhZDX5IB9zw8FnQ77y_N7aqfVEaWMDIxeT3hGK_v6yaCO2thR-y8&usqp=CAU

Not so much this:pac::
    images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQOwMV3sU91yAjK2W4NfWvxD4FjNx-ACypAx4wIxVxPSYYRrRKiHdFSA6nPDehs6_s60fg&usqp=CAU

• Site Banned Posts: 12,341 ✭✭✭✭Faugheen

Seems fair. To each his own ofcourse.

I can get on board with this:

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQ9l3IBYoGBTkP264sPhZDX5IB9zw8FnQ77y_N7aqfVEaWMDIxeT3hGK_v6yaCO2thR-y8&usqp=CAU

Not so much this:pac::
    images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQOwMV3sU91yAjK2W4NfWvxD4FjNx-ACypAx4wIxVxPSYYRrRKiHdFSA6nPDehs6_s60fg&usqp=CAU

Why does it matter and what difference does it make to your life?

If people want to dance around in frilly knickers, let them. It's not contagious nor does it impact on your day to day life.

I swear there is still a sizeable cohort around here who think every gay man wants to ride them for the simple reason that they are gay.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,368 ✭✭✭JimmyVik

Faugheen wrote: »

If people want to dance around in frilly knickers, let them. It's not contagious nor does it impact on your day to day life.

I swear there is still a sizeable cohort around here who think every gay man wants to ride them for the simple reason that they are gay.

Or maybe every gay man thinks that every straight man thinks that every gay man wants to ride him :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,574 ✭✭✭cms88

What difference does a persons opinion make to your life?

Calm yourself. Nobodies stopping anyone from doing anything. And I explicitly said "To each his own". I merely stated what I could get on board with. By all means enjoy the leather clad dogs-man if that's your thing.

Jaysus, my opinion wasn't even about being gay.

cms88 wrote: »
    What difference does a persons opinion make to your life?

what difference does somebody else wearing leather gear make to your life?

what difference does somebody else wearing leather gear make to your life?

Honestly, what effect does it need to have on someone's life for them to be entitled to simply say "Leather clad dog-man? Not for me, but to each his own"?

Nobody is hating on anyone into leather lol

Honestly, what effect does it need to have on someone's life for them to be entitled to simply say "Leather clad dog-man? Not for me, but to each his own"?

Nobody is hating on anyone into leather lol

Honestly, what effect does it need to have on someone's life for them to be entitled to simply say Why does it matter and what difference does it make to your life? to people who say "Leather clad dog-man? Not for me, but to each his own"?

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 51,129 Mod ✭✭✭✭Necro

Can we move on please folks, thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 4,811 ✭✭✭ShagNastii

Was always pretty apathetic towards gay pride (and the need for a gay pride). Not due to any kind of homophobic stance but I suppose I it had/has little relevance to my life. Let them do their thing I'll do mine, kinda thing.

But a few years ago I was in town as I had to get my phone fixed. I dropped it in and had an hour or two to pass, so I went to O Connell street basically for a nosey.

It was great. It was a joy to see so many people with mile wide grins all having a ball. All very decadent, colorful and flamboyant. Yet still quite understated, the whole event shining with an overall undercurrent of love and good vides.

Of course you get a handful of leather clad types grinding up on each other which might not impress many (the people who generally believe this to be pride). But parade really highlights that this is the exception and the people involved are just normal people. They are our brothers and our sisters. They are the girls we went to school. They are the guys that we work with.

These people who really haven't the chance day to day to fully fit in due to their sexually and the hangups others have about it. OK we could argue that they are far from being repressed. I saw a lot of people who I imagine were very "proud" and felt totally included. The pride festival I think could be viewed as a pat on the back from the city of Dublin/people of Ireland saying you're OK with us.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,811 ✭✭✭ShagNastii

Coronovirus_vaccine_map___February.png

This graphic regarding the vaccine roll out doesn’t emote any feeling within me at all. I don’t think I should be classed as racist for saying so. I’m not going to feel guilty cause Ireland/EU have their shop in order.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,402 ✭✭✭McGinniesta

Why was George Floyds case highlighted above all of the other cases of police Brutality?

Why was it any more special than the others?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 48,484 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

that's a question, not an opinion.

Why was George Floyds case highlighted above all of the other cases of police Brutality?

Why was it any more special than the others?

Because of the video footage and the shock factor that it created. You clearly saw a white police officer kneeling on the neck of a black man for 8 mins while he said he couldn't breathe and called for his mother.

Big difference between hearing about something like this and actually seeing it.

However for some reason I feel like you are asking in bad faith and that this is going to be a massive waste of time.

• Registered Users Posts: 379 ✭✭Tilden Katz

touts wrote: »
    I believe full state benefits should only be paid to those who have worked a minimum of 5 years in the state.

Even with that all state benefits (unemployment, pension, child benefit) should be paid in vouchers that can only be redeemed against certain items (not bouncy castles, booze, fags, fake tan etc)

People in receipt of free housing should live where the state gives them the free house and not have a choice in that. Any damage they do to the house is taken from their welfare. Once they get a job they start to pay rent to the state at the average rent in the locality.

Voting should be limited to active citizens who have either paid tax or taken part in voluntary work for at least 5 years.

People should pay for water and sewage.

Property tax should be based on the services in your locality and not the value of your home.

There is nothing wrong with a two tier health service. Anyone who pays the tax that funds the health service should have priority access on waiting lists or for private rooms etc.

There should be a three strike and you are out rule in the criminal justice sector. On your third or subsequent conviction you lose all rights to bail, reduced sentences, early release etc. You serve the maximum sentence set down in law and not a day less.

Life means life.

I hope none of the benefits stuff applies you write about here to people who are seriously ill or terminally ill (which can drag on) and prevented from working. It’s not actually clear at all if you are including them. For many of them, living near a hospital is very important. So they do need a say in where they live. And I don’t see why they should suffer the stigma of paying for goods with vouchers as if life isn’t shit enough. And I really hope you don’t think that they don’t deserve occasional treats from their meagre incomes. And that the private room they’ve been lucky to be given in a hospital is ill-deserved. And if you think this could never happen to you - oh honey. The amount of very ill people I know who lived very healthy lifestyles is not insignificant.

And actually, if you ever did become unemployed (I hope that never happens to you but life is full of surprises), ask yourself if you would truthfully be okay with having so little agency? Would you be okay with paying for stuff with vouchers whilst your neighbour or friend beside you in the queue makes small talk? Just think about all that for a second.

ShagNastii wrote: »
    Was always pretty apathetic towards gay pride (and the need for a gay pride). Not due to any kind of homophobic stance but I suppose I it had/has little relevance to my life. Let them do their thing I'll do mine, kinda thing.

But a few years ago I was in town as I had to get my phone fixed. I dropped it in and had an hour or two to pass, so I went to O Connell street basically for a nosey.

It was great. It was a joy to see so many people with mile wide grins all having a ball. All very decadent, colorful and flamboyant. Yet still quite understated, the whole event shining with an overall undercurrent of love and good vides.

Of course you get a handful of leather clad types grinding up on each other which might not impress many (the people who generally believe this to be pride). But parade really highlights that this is the exception and the people involved are just normal people. They are our brothers and our sisters. They are the girls we went to school. They are the guys that we work with.

These people who really haven't the chance day to day to fully fit in due to their sexually and the hangups others have about it. OK we could argue that they are far from being repressed. I saw a lot of people who I imagine were very "proud" and felt totally included. The pride festival I think could be viewed as a pat on the back from the city of Dublin/people of Ireland saying you're OK with us.

all tangential to the point.

nobody questioned the staging of pride parades.

what was questioned was whether dancing around in little leather pants and nipple clips is a good way to present yourself for the purpose of getting more respect or understanding.

all tangential to the point.

nobody questioned the staging of pride parades.

what was questioned was whether dancing around in little leather pants and nipple clips is a good way to present yourself for the purpose of getting more respect or understanding.

The fact that you, and people like you, think gay people need to present a certain way to gain respect is the exact reason gay pride exists.

Let them have their day, the way they want to have it. It's their day to express themselves, park your petty judgments and hang ups for one day.

I love the pride parade, bring my kids every year. Brilliant day out.

"Why is that man dressed like that Daddy" - son

"Why not son? It's not hurting anyone" - me

"Oh look free fanta" - son

they/them/theirs

• Advertisement

The fact that you, and people like you, think gay people need to present a certain way to gain respect is the exact reason gay pride exists.

Let them have their day, the way they want to have it. It's their day to express themselves, park your petty judgments and hang ups for one day.

I love the pride parade, bring my kids every year. Brilliant day out.

"Why is that man dressed like that Daddy" - son

"Why not son? It's not hurting anyone" - me

"Oh look free fanta" - son

Fully expecting people to question your parenting now.

Pride is great craic. A bunch of people enjoying themselves in the way that they want to.

The great part about it is anyone can join in at any stage. In the Dublin Pride at least there were no barriers lining the streets and people could come and go as they please.

Advertisement